Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Dutch are the first to Die!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:07:21 PM   
Lowpe

Revenge of the Dorniers...not.

Task Force 13 targeted...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 181
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:11:49 PM   
Lowpe

I think the Allies are mad at us. Come on, guys. Pearl Harbor was a joke...I mean you did get the declaration of war, right? What's a little late have to do with it. Sheesh, no sense of humor, you American Dogs!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/19/2017 11:12:16 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 182
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:25:13 PM   
Lowpe

Tora, Tora, Tora!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 183
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:29:15 PM   
Lowpe

One, down, one very close and the last needs more help.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 184
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:33:18 PM   
Lowpe

Afternoon air attacks...where are the sweeps?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 185
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:40:45 PM   
Lowpe

Today's actions will become immortalized in the film "They Were Expendable" featuring only the fourth time John Wayne dies in a movie, his bridge shattered, he valiantly mans an AA gun while the 250 kg bombs and torpedoes turn his ship into fireball that only Hollywood can produce. In the movie he destroys a diving Val, but alas in reality no planes were lost.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/20/2017 12:02:18 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 186
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:44:52 PM   
Lowpe

Sadly, this bloody action will never be immortalized in film.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 187
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:46:17 PM   
Lowpe

Makin Taken

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 188
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/19/2017 11:56:21 PM   
Lowpe

The Thundering Herd!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 189
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:29:00 AM   
Lowpe

The Allies are full of dirty tricks...like flying British Vildebeests to Wenchow. Then, the silly Allies actually use Wenchow for a low level port attack on Formosa. I guess, if there was shipping around Wenchow those Vildebeests would have attacked them.

But better not to attack from Wenchow perhaps, so as not to draw any attention to them. Of course it is under aerial recon...and will soon be visited by a big girl, or two.

I wonder how good the aviation support is there. Perhaps those crafty Chinese mechanics are there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 190
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:34:08 AM   
Aurorus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

The Allies are full of dirty tricks...like flying British Vildebeests to Wenchow. Then, the silly Allies actually use Wenchow for a low level port attack on Formosa. I guess, if there was shipping around Wenchow those Vildebeests would have attacked them.

But better not to attack from Wenchow perhaps, so as not to draw any attention to them. Of course it is under aerial recon...and will soon be visited by a big girl, or two.

I wonder how good the aviation support is there. Perhaps those crafty Chinese mechanics are there.

Not much use out of Wenchow. The Chinese may have mechanics, but no torpedos. 821Bobo got a torpedo into an AMC at Mauban with one of those out of Luzon in our game.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 191
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:39:33 AM   
Lowpe

I plan on leap frogging down the coast on barges and bicycles. You need a level 1 port and 10,000 supply to create barges.

Thankfully, Kota Bharu is undamaged, and has no supply max limit, but rail stops above Kota do...like Singora here. I will need to ship the supply in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 192
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:44:17 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

quote:

Not much use out of Wenchow. The Chinese may have mechanics, but no torpedos. 821Bobo got a torpedo into an AMC at Mauban with one of those out of Luzon in our game.

I don't know. A lot of people do a whole lot of merchant ship moving early on before the Allies spread out their subs. There are tankers at Formosa that might have been easy pickings for a low level biplane carrying bombs -- I think they would carry two in lieu of a torpedo.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 193
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:49:30 AM   
Lowpe

I am disappointed my sweeps didn't fly today. But on the positive side, those Claudes did real well on those 4E beasties. The D model is a little light on defensive guns if I recall.

I had a school teacher who was a gunner on a 4E...they trained him by towing targets pulled by jeeps which they shot at.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 194
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:56:49 AM   
Lowpe

Ship losses. Tracker is listing the Pennsylvania, whose magazine blew up on Dec 7th as sunk.

Those Wickes class destroyers can be converted into APD, and DE if memory serves. The APD are the way I usually went, as you can get up to all sorts of mischief with them, and they have the best early war American ASW to boot! At least that is what I recall.

I know the Allies are going to be up to all sorts of games like that. SST and APD and Banana Boats...we are going to have such a fun game!.

As expected the mines at Manila or Bataan are swept first thing. I decided not to mine Singers, but rather dropped them on hex outside of Palembang. Perhaps we can get a surprise there with them. They won't last long, which is okay since I believe the IJN will be visiting shortly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 195
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:56:51 AM   
Aurorus

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

quote:

I don't know. A lot of people do a whole lot of merchant ship moving early on before the Allies spread out their subs. There are tankers at Formosa that might have been easy pickings for a low level biplane carrying bombs -- I think they would carry two in lieu of a torpedo.

The allies have a wide range of options to harass the Japanese at the start of the war. That is one of the most interesting aspects of the game as the allies. Everything on the map at gamestart is effectively expendable, (the only exception to this rule would be those Catalinas), which opens up all the possibilities. Japan, on the other hand, has few strategic options to start. They must go west and go for oil. Everything else is secondary. What is more, Japan never has any expendable assets... ever.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 196
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 1:06:31 AM   
Lowpe

Ship Conversions Started so far:

Tracker is telling me I have started:

8 AKE
8 AV
12 AD
2 AS
6 AGP
31 AG

Conversions so far. Not counting the xakl conversions to PB, ACM, CMc, etc. A fair bit of the AG conversions listed above are with xakl.

I will be making many more conversions over the next few days as the ships arrive in ports. AKE, AV, AS, and AD for now, later will be AR (I am planning on making at least 20 AR).

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 197
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 1:14:40 AM   
Lowpe

So I have given you the rough plans for how Japan is going to prosecute the war for a while.

I think it will be an exciting game with some different twists and turns from both sides.

If I had to guess, I don't think there will ever be a quiet time...a lull when Japan stops advancing and the Allies have yet to start no matter what happens to either sides naval forces. I suspect the Allies will defend forward, always thinking about the retreat if needed...continually testing and probing.

The air war promises to be very low.

Enjoy.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 198
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 11:25:08 AM   
adarbrauner

quote:

I plan on leap frogging down the coast on barges and bicycles. You need a level 1 port and 10,000 supply to create barges.

Thankfully, Kota Bharu is undamaged, and has no supply max limit, but rail stops above Kota do...like Singora here. I will need to ship the supply in.

I'm trying very hard to "activate" barges, or other minor craft, by "transportation TFs" loaded with supply (10.000!!!, no less), as per manual to "emulate" their onloading and transportation; first of all, I find it a bit expensive 10.000 supply as transportation of already produced and existing shipping stuff;

but even so, I cannot have that coveted gray button ("activate barges") activated and enabled, in spite of everything I've tried try to do until now;

Any suggestion?

< Message edited by adarbrauner -- 3/20/2017 1:06:00 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 199
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:42:44 PM   
Lowpe

I never got that to work; supposedly you create a Transport TF, load it with supplies and the buttons become active. Truth be told I never tried hard, and I can vaguely remember some posts about it in my previous AAR with Tiemanj.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 200
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 12:46:34 PM   
Lowpe

Step 1 & 2 in turning Fusan into a hub:

Send some Yusen N and start hauling resource. They will put demand on the dockworkers to load oil, which will start to filter down from Port Arthur eventually.

Send a lot of engineers to Fusan to build the port to max size.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 201
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 1:03:57 PM   
adarbrauner

Could it be dubbed as gamey? Or, as a smart alternative to the oil-duct you cannot build in-game, but in RL maybe yes (p.s: are there sizeble oil resources in China or Manchuria? just a question....)?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 202
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 2:35:30 PM   
Lowpe

Japanese intel reports Allied naval forces are quite strong in the area:

2 BB, 1 CA, 2 CL plus Dutch forces. Therefore, the IJN is at best equal to what the Allies can muster and we don't like those odds. Plus rearming is fairly distant at present, but will improve in two days substantially with the arrival of AD and AKE into the area.

So until there is a sharp engagement or intel pointing otherwise, we will assume the Allies will sortie at our invasion beaches and likely invasion beaches. Likely invasion beaches will be swept with small destroyer squadrons.

Today, caught off guard, Allied Naval search in the northern SRA is pitiful. Most IJN task forces have no DL.

Our ships will form a strong force to cover the Miri invasion; to the west near Taytay and Mindanao the IJN will form multiple small task forces of three ships to hunt the thundering herd and perhaps tangle with the American cruiser forces. I will be setting their naval threat tolerance to low, so they will be likely to retreat sooner, if they do encounter the American cruiser force united. What this tolerance level will do for merchant encounters I don't really know.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 203
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 2:42:35 PM   
Xargun

quote:

8 AKE
8 AV
12 AD
2 AS
6 AGP
31 AG

Conversions so far. Not counting the xakl conversions to PB, ACM, CMc, etc. A fair bit of the AG conversions listed above are with xakl.

I will be making many more conversions over the next few days as the ships arrive in ports. AKE, AV, AS, and AD for now, later will be AR (I am planning on making at least 20 AR).

What is the advantage of an AGP over a normal AG ?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 204
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 2:46:51 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Step 1 & 2 in turning Fusan into a hub:

Send some Yusen N and start hauling resource. They will put demand on the dockworkers to load oil, which will start to filter down from Port Arthur eventually.

Send a lot of engineers to Fusan to build the port to max size.

I usually send all the engineers from Kwangtung down to Fusan - you would be surprised how many Base Forces and Construction crews you can find that are lounging around.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 205
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 2:48:03 PM   
Xargun

Also, where did you get that gorgeous map? Thats not stock.

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 206
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 2:56:26 PM   
Lowpe

DL on a picket Rboat. Often times the Allies like to stage a raid here with a carrier or two. Sometimes that back fires if Japan sends the KB here after Pearl. Alas, the KB is 7 hexes from Pearl and spotted...so that gives the Allies a free hand with their carriers.

It also gives a chance for my Iboats to strike!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 207
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 3:04:12 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

8 AKE
8 AV
12 AD
2 AS
6 AGP
31 AG

What is the advantage of an AGP over a normal AG ?

AGP cannot be used as a cargo ship; but can arm MTB with torpedoes unlike AG. Also their repair and supply get used on somewhat smaller subset of ships than an AG or AD.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/20/2017 3:05:19 PM >

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 208
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 3:16:32 PM   
Lowpe

Bellum Pacifica map mod.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 209
RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! - 3/20/2017 3:25:45 PM   
Xargun

quote:

Bellum Pacifica map mod.

Does that affect PBeM at all? Would both players have to use it? Does it work with DBB SL Map ?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Dutch are the first to Die! Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI