Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Soviets Activated....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/23/2018 10:20:48 PM   
Lowpe

May 22nd, 1942

Allied Navy, sans Deathstar is concentrated at Singers. Bombarding everywhere in the vicinity.

Despite the bombardments, the IJA Artillery is holding its own, although ABDA is reinforcing north of Singers. Dangerous game here...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2551
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/23/2018 10:25:35 PM   
Lowpe

Air losses...

Night bombing takes an ominous turn as the Allies drop down to 2K to 5K, mostly 2K. Good news in that some of the 20mm AA guns open up, but they did destroy several Oscars at Harbin. NF and AA protected Magwe's production....but I fear a move against the airfields at night rather than the oil. A concentrated low level night bombing campaign against the planes is indefensible almost...especially with 4E.

Soviet AA is so potent and numerous I can't return the favor at any protected base.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 2/23/2018 10:26:51 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2552
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/23/2018 11:14:01 PM   
Lowpe

Manchuko

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2553
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/24/2018 12:33:38 AM   
ny59giants

Best item the Russians got through American "Lend Lease" program was the "deuce and half" truck, IMO. You don't see it now, but you will later in the war when his TO&Es are upgraded.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2554
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/24/2018 12:25:48 PM   
Bif1961

Even though not shown in this game directly, I believe the best thing the Russians got through lend-lease was almost two thousand locomotives In total, 92.7% of the wartime production of railroad equipment by the USSR was supplied by Lend-Lease, including 1,911 locomotives and 11,225 rail-cars which augmented the existing prewar stocks of at least 20,000 locomotives and half a million rail-cars. That allowed them to switch over almost all their locomotive production to building tanks and we know how many T-34s they built. lend lease to Russia was thousands of types of items and millions of them delivered. These are according to released Russian figures and American figures do not include more than 1/3rd that went sent outside of the lend lease law. The total of what was publically admitted was Total 9,477,666,000 items Note: the figure of $11 billion includes services as well as goods furnished. So it is fair to say without lend lease Russia may not have survived and without Russia we would not have won the war. Just think what would have happened if the Russians had 18,000 fewer aircraft, 12,000 fewer tanks and 470,000 non-armored vehicles, these were directly shipped to Russia not counting what that allowed Russia to build because they were given them and almost every item needed and some they didn't even have.It is estimated that lend lease represented between 10-15% of Russian equipment but that does not include the vast quantities of material and food stuffs provided. This allowed the Russians to concentrate of fewer items to produce and most of that direct fighting material, like tanks planes and munitions. So them impact of lend lease can not be estimated in just 10-15% of what they had total in any category but what it allowed them to produce themselves because they were freed from having to produce what was given to them.If viewed that way, which is the more accurate value it would be closer to 25-33% of what they used to fight WWII.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 2/24/2018 2:18:16 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2555
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/24/2018 2:05:51 PM   
Lowpe

How much of lend lease went thru Siberia? I know the Japanese allowed merchants flagged in some manner to safely transit from North America...but that wouldn't be the case now! Perhaps without that pipeline lend lease would have struggled with only the North Sea and the Persian routes available? Below is some notes on lend lease air...

The second route began in Great Falls, Montana, and went through western Canada to Ladd Field, then continued to Siberia, and finally to Moscow. This route totaled 7,900 miles. Other routes by sea and air were used to supply Lend-Lease equipment, but going through Alaska was shorter and less dangerous than routes by sea. The routes by sea were longer and also dangerous due to German submarines. Since the route through Ladd Field was safer and shorter, the transferred planes made it to the European front within days instead of weeks or months. This route became known as the Alaska-Siberia Route (ALSIB). The United States constructed seven airfields in central Alaska, one at Northway, Tanancross, Big Delta, Ladd Field (Fairbanks), Galena, Moses Point, and Nome. Canada was already building six airfields between Edmonton and Whitehorse. This completed the Alaska-Siberia Route for the delivery of aircraft to the Soviets.

At first, the United States wanted to turn over the planes to Soviet aircrews in Siberia. However, Soviet Leader Josef Stalin did not want United States military forces flying into Soviet airfields, he insisted that Soviet pilots should accept the planes in Alaska. The U.S. and the Soviet Union agreed that Ladd Field in Fairbanks would be the delivery point, due to its strategic location and the fact that, of the routes available, it was the safest and quickest. Since the Soviets officially took ownership of the aircraft at Ladd Field, the planes were inspected and painted with a red star to denote that the aircraft were now the property of the Soviet Union. The Soviets would land at Nome for refueling and repairs before crossing the Bering Strait.

The first Lend-Lease planes flown between Great Falls and Fairbanks arrived on September 3, 1942. Five A-20 bombers made the first two-day flight. Every plane arrived with a white star on the fuselage (body of the plane). The Soviet pilots painted over the white star with the red star, the emblem of the Soviet Union, before leaving for the Soviet Union. The next day, Soviet officers flew in from Siberia. Finally, a group of Soviet pilots landed at Ladd Field on September 24 to begin five days of training before flying the new planes home.

Wartime censorship meant that the ALSIB route and the Soviet soldiers stationed at Ladd Field were not publicly discussed until the summer of 1944. However, in towns along the way, the operation was common knowledge. The Soviet pilots stayed at Ladd Field until the end of WWII. In that time, the United States delivered almost 8,000 planes to the Soviet Union.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 2/24/2018 2:07:40 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 2556
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/24/2018 2:28:14 PM   
Bif1961

The Pacific Route was a delivery route used during World War II to move goods, particularly Lend-Lease goods from the United States to the Soviet Union.

This commenced in October 1941, though some goods had been moved prior to this under the "cash and carry" agreement. The route was affected by the start of hostilities between Japan and the US in December 1941, but was not interrupted as Japan and the Soviet Union maintained a strict neutrality towards each other for the duration of the conflict, changing only in August 1945. Due to this neutrality the goods could be moved only in Soviet-flagged ships, and, as they were inspected by the Japanese, could not include war materials. The route was therefore used to transport foods, raw materials and non-military goods such as lorries and other road vehicles, railway locomotives and rolling stock. It was also the most practical route for goods and materials produced in the US western states. During the conflict the Pacific Route saw a steady stream of goods moved from the west coast of the United States and overall accounted for some 50% of all Lend-lease goods to the Soviet Union.[1] The route closed in September 1945 with the end of the conflict and the cessation of the Lend-Lease scheme. The ALSIB was used to transfer approximately 8,000 aircraft.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2557
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/24/2018 8:31:41 PM   
JeffroK

Just think what the Western Allies could do with all of the items sent to the USSR, maybe the RAF/RAAF would start the war with Buffalo & Wirraway and there would be enough AFV to fill out the Australian & Indian Armoured Brigades?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 2558
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 1:57:03 AM   
Bif1961

Great question to ponder but the Russian manpower made the possible best use of all that material as they had the men waiting for it. I have been reading several different reviews on Lend Lease. Depending on if the Russian was under the old Soviet Union or post-Soviet, for their opinion. However Zhukov said without lend lease it would have been impossible to beat the Nazis.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 2/25/2018 2:18:25 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 2559
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 10:51:51 AM   
Lowpe

May 23, 1942

Night bombing from Manchuko to Magwe...Nicks actually perform well versus twin engine bombers in the NF role, engaging, and damaging some of the bombers. Problem is I need them daytime too, and have only 2 Sentai and 1 Chutai of them.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 2560
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 10:54:29 AM   
Lowpe

Then the strikes of the day....all but one ship sunk in harbor at Hong Kong. The weak Nate CAP is brushed aside by Flying Tigers, Lightning Sweeps meet no resistance and the bombers have a field day. I had 30 Zeroes at Canton, but they don't engage, not that it would have done any good, they would have been swept aside too.

Many waves, LRCAP, sweeps. Nice raid.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2561
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 10:55:46 AM   
Lowpe

Not to be neglected, Cam Ranh Bay is attacked.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2562
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 10:56:17 AM   
Lowpe

Losses

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2563
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 10:57:45 AM   
Lowpe

Ship losses. The ARs were undergoing the year long refitting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2564
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 11:01:38 AM   
Lowpe

I just resized a fighter group, and disbanded her into port for the resize, and neglected to put her back to sea wanting to repair a point of system damage. Sloppy play no doubt. No damage to speak of to the already damaged battleships here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 2/25/2018 11:02:46 AM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2565
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 11:10:16 AM   
Lowpe

Soviet subs strike between Borneo and Mindanao.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2566
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 11:27:15 AM   
Lowpe

Malaya

IJA has only one tank regiment present, and is now outnumbered by the Allied troops, supported by daily bombardments of 4 BBs, 9 CA, and 9 CL plus associated destroyers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2567
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 11:40:05 AM   
Lowpe

Manchuko

Night bombing of Japanese industry continues, lots of potential bases which means AA is dispersed all over the place and Nates, Petes, Nicks,Oscars and even Zeroes are tasked in small splinter groups to defend it. AA alone cannot stop the industry destruction.

Then there is the ever present threat of a Beast raid on Honshu which means even more dispersal of the Japanese fighter forces & AA. 61 Four Engine Beasts bombed Hong Kong and Cam Ranh Bay yesterday....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2568
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 1:17:36 PM   
Lowpe

Soviet subs near Jolo are fairly short legged.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2569
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 1:32:10 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Manchuko

Night bombing of Japanese industry continues, lots of potential bases which means AA is dispersed all over the place and Nates, Petes, Nicks,Oscars and even Zeroes are tasked in small splinter groups to defend it. AA alone cannot stop the industry destruction.

Then there is the ever present threat of a Beast raid on Honshu which means even more dispersal of the Japanese fighter forces & AA. 61 Four Engine Beasts bombed Hong Kong and Cam Ranh Bay yesterday....

In two lines you have stated why/how the presence of allied bases within range of IJ industry is simply the death of the IJ.

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2570
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 1:45:12 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

In two lines you have stated why/how the presence of allied bases within range of IJ industry is simply the death of the IJ.

4700 Heavy Industry, out of 6070 present in Honshu is in two bases. A 2000 to 5000 foot night bombing campaign by 60 Beasts would simply end Japan, which is why this game has no chance of getting to 1944.

Simply the mere threat of it is fatal to Japan.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2571
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 4:41:49 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

4700 Heavy Industry, out of 6070 present in Honshu is in two bases. A 2000 to 5000 foot night bombing campaign by 60 Beasts would simply end Japan, which is why this game has no chance of getting to 1944.

Simply the mere threat of it is fatal to Japan.

Correct. Sad, but true.

If you ever find a counter to 2000ft night bombing, let me know. My opponent does it all the time (Andy AI) and the only thing I have ever found to work is to take the base back from him.
Flak/Fighters can work, even work often. BUT in 10 nights, no matter what I do, one night something will happen and the bombers get through and there is no recovery from that.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 2/25/2018 4:42:29 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2572
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 10:05:31 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

If you ever find a counter to 2000ft night bombing, let me know. My opponent does it all the time (Andy AI) and the only thing I have ever found to work is to take the base back from him.
Flak/Fighters can work, even work often. BUT in 10 nights, no matter what I do, one night something will happen and the bombers get through and there is no recovery from that.

My rule of thumb is need 1 fighter for every bomber layered flying between arrival altitude and bombing altitude in the air at the time of attack -- any that arrive later is gravy. Plus you need adequate warning, which I won't get with 42 and 43 Japanese radars. Plus adequate big flak guns.

Of course when the beasts migrate to 15K they still make very good hits and you are horribly out of position.

Against 4E Japan will lose fighters at a startling rate. I need to check to see how less aggressive commanders might do.

This early, with the only armored plane being the Nick will be really bad. The Nicks at Harbin flying at night against Soviet twin engine bombers are 50% in the shop. Not enough aviation support anywhere in the Empire to support my horrible weak air force contributes to the problem.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2573
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/25/2018 11:51:08 PM   
Alfred

Japan can never afford to spread it's assets too thinly around.  To do so is a recipe for certain defeat.  Particularly when it is done with the initiative in Allied hands.

All those assets protect bases which are not being targeted are just wasted.  Note how the Allies are not committing the same mistake.  The Allies are using all their assets whereas Japan is using only some of its assets.

This is why both theElf and I stated that all focus should be directed towards gaining air superiority over the DEI/Malaya to allow Japan to advance in the region.  Unless the initiative is regained it is pointless continuing the war.  Japan has one great advantage over the Allies; it can rebuild industry which the Allies cannot.

Two HI bases contain 77% of the HI heavy industry.  OK defend those two bases and forget about defending all the other HI bases.  Let the Allies bomb the others.  Doing so will remove the pressure you are facing on the frontline.  If you chicken out you will get advance warning anyway before the HI bases are targeted by enemy recon flights.  Those flights will allow you to rush back fighters although I would encourage the enemy to go there anyway.

The fact is that there are not that many enemy 4Es.  Even fewer enemy recon units able to recon the HI.  You are assuming that your opponent will be even aware of any weakness in the HI, let alone have the assets capable of taking advantage.

There simply is no alternative.  Japan must generate a threat which greatly concerns the enemy.  That can only be done by concentrating and driving a schwerpunkt at the enemy.  What exactly is the value of "defending" the homeland industry from destruction if you fail to acquire the necessary raw materials in the SRA to feed that "saved" industry.  The corollary is not the same for acquiring the raw materials at the expense of some destroyed industry (which can be rebuilt) will also result in the destruction of enemy units.

Alfred  

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2574
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/26/2018 12:25:31 PM   
Lowpe

No turn yesterday from the Allies.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 2575
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/26/2018 12:26:26 PM   
Lowpe

Current fighter plane deficit is -377 fighters. Last month was significantly worse.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2576
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/26/2018 5:46:47 PM   
Lowpe

May 24, 1942

ABDA Fleet comes calling. As is usual, Japan can't hit with a torpedo, and her guns pretty much too.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 2/26/2018 6:09:40 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2577
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/26/2018 5:47:24 PM   
Lowpe

Round two.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2578
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/26/2018 5:48:33 PM   
Lowpe

Round three

To show you what an idiot I am, this minelaying task force was set not to lay mines. I forgot they were even headed here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2579
RE: Soviets Activated.... - 2/26/2018 5:49:31 PM   
Lowpe

Round four five and six skrimishes...but the bombardment task force get thru.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 2580
Page:   <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Soviets Activated.... Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI