Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feature idea: Travel Time calculator.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/15/2017 2:13:36 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

The Range and Bearing Tool is of course very helpful, but I wonder if it could be improved...

Why not add onto RB tool, or a companion tool, a way to calculate in a simple way over a given path how fast it would take something at a certain speed to reach an area.

Example 1: You need to move your submarine to a specific area across an ocean or large sea. With this hypothetical tool, you lay out a course and punch in a speed (say 15 knots) and type of unit (Choices of Ship, Sub, Aircraft and Missile) and it gives you an estimate of how long it will take the given unit to reach the area at a given speed.

Example 2: You know of enemy airbases equipped with long range bombers that threaten your ships. You can estimate from the DB what their probable speed would be, so you set up a reasonable plot line from the base to your ships, with an educated guess of the Bomber's speed. Now you know how long you might have until the bombers could attack you.

Thoughts on this? I think it could be very helpful for planning both your moves and determining what threats you will face and when.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 3/15/2017 2:14:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/15/2017 10:37:19 AM   
zaytsev

Yup, it would be great to have this tool .. err... if it wouldn't exist already in the game :)

Give your unit/group a waypoint or a series of waypoints, then click on any waypoint , press F2 (speed/course) , at the bottom you can see ETA when
unit will arrive with given speed.

Ok, I know this isn't 'on-the-fly' calc. , but it really helps for that you have described..

Click like if it helps

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/15/2017 3:35:04 PM   
mikmykWS

Like!

Thanks Zaytsev

(in reply to zaytsev)
Post #: 3
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/15/2017 9:40:55 PM   
Dimitris

Like!

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 4
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/15/2017 10:31:51 PM   
ExNusquam

I already have an extremely high tech way of doing this.

(I would like the ability to draw custom range rings on the map, but that's already in the feature request thread)

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/16/2017 9:02:58 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaytsev

Yup, it would be great to have this tool .. err... if it wouldn't exist already in the game :)

Give your unit/group a waypoint or a series of waypoints, then click on any waypoint , press F2 (speed/course) , at the bottom you can see ETA when
unit will arrive with given speed.

Ok, I know this isn't 'on-the-fly' calc. , but it really helps for that you have described..

Click like if it helps

That solves the problem with your units, but what about doing estimates on the travel time for enemy units, like my 2nd example?

(in reply to zaytsev)
Post #: 6
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/16/2017 9:35:49 PM   
Rory Noonan

I do like your idea, but I also like that not everything is 'handed' to us in CMANO. In real life plotting this stuff out takes time and effort, and although it's actually much easier in CMANO, I like the fact that it takes a moderate amount of skill or calculation to work out. Not knowing if your calculations are correct adds to the suspense for me, just as getting everything right and watching it all come together is very satisfying.

To do what you want in Example 2 I'd just check the speed in the db and measure the distance with the distance tool. Quick and easy.

Post #: 7
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/17/2017 7:37:43 AM   
magi

i use my iphone for that.... works great.....

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 8
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/18/2017 11:52:32 AM   
zaytsev

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

Example 2: You know of enemy airbases equipped with long range bombers that threaten your ships. You can estimate from the DB what their probable speed would be, so you set up a reasonable plot line from the base to your ships, with an educated guess of the Bomber's speed. Now you know how long you might have until the bombers could attack you.

Ah, well ok, just wanted to help.

You have to realize that in every 'conflict' you're dealing with 'lots of estimates' . What if situations... so what if the 'enemy' takes a longer route then direct approach or vice versa..etc.
So all your calculations from the start fall in water., requiring new on the fly battle plan.

Let me quote a line from Call of duty- Modern Warfare , by Powell.

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."
— Colin Powell

-Dude's been there alright.

So, what is my point.. If we know that closest enemy base is 2000nm from our zone, given estimated mil.speed for (fighter) plane is ~500nm/h .. that gives us window about ~4hrs.
Simple as that. And keep it simple, it is fastest option. You don't need calculator for something simple.
Same thing for cruise missiles or anything thrown in our way.

What You really need is to 'anticipate' probably enemy movement path. That is every plan starting point. If you left an open hole,
no any calculator is going to save ur arse.

P.s. Don't get me wrong here, I don't mind your request/idea at all, I'm using TOT-planner excell spreadsheet from long time before Command. (Harpoon2/3).

-Offtopic, just examples.
All what you'll ever need is 1. a ruler, 2. a protractor and a 6-minute rule. (Speed is always relative)
..then you'll need, almost DB kind of knowledge of enemy platforms(weapons, range, speed etc), then, knowledge of your platforms ..it just doesn't work without this! too many variables.
..everything else left is just math, practice and bit of luck.

You may think that dudes, simple grunts on the field doesn't use this kind of approach and they are just spray and pray bullets around, well there may be some cases, but guarantied they know exactly how much is his/her weapon heavy, how much grain is 5.56 bullet and in 7.62 , and I didn't even mentioned stuff about navigation, without gps, without compass.
... exactly, they are prepared for this kind of info, learned their lessons, did it in the field, and all that again.. or not ;)

Please, give it a thought: There is no way that any calculator is gonna do thinking for 'ya.

Cheers.

Post #: 9
RE: Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. - 3/23/2017 2:07:29 PM   
ComDev

The Speed/Alt window already does some of this, no?

(Lower part.)

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to zaytsev)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Feature idea: Travel Time calculator. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI