Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gibraltar

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Gibraltar Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gibraltar - 4/3/2017 3:19:55 PM   
Trump2016

How is it that Axis ships/subs can traverse back and both past Gibraltar if Allied controlled?. this is very unhistorical. even subs that tried had a high degree of sinking and damage inflected!
Post #: 1
RE: Gibraltar - 4/3/2017 3:57:23 PM   
vonik

Well they can do it at their peril and it was like that in history too .
As you have to wait 1 turn before crossing and only 2 ships may cross, if there are allied ships at Gibraltar they will simply wait for you and slaughter you when you cross .
If you have no ships in Gibraltar then it is your problem and you shouldn't be surprised that Axis crosses (despite the 1 turn wait handicap) .

(in reply to Trump2016)
Post #: 2
RE: Gibraltar - 4/3/2017 4:31:38 PM   
Trump2016

Please tell me what axis surface ships made the attempt?, none that i am aware off. of the 62 subs that tried, 9 were sunk, 10 damaged and had to retreat, that's a 30% chance of damage that has nothing to do with ships at port. This is one of those exceptions in the game, Gibraltar had many things withen that relatively small hex to serious affect on enemy naval movement, not to mention severe tidal issues that made it perilous for subs to traverse. i am wondering if some sort of "fortification" unit should be placed there instead of the garrison unit that would fire on adjacent units as they moved through.

(in reply to vonik)
Post #: 3
RE: Gibraltar - 4/3/2017 10:55:50 PM   
battlevonwar

I never knew the stats I figured it was impossible. How many operated in the Med though from overland transportation?

quote:

ORIGINAL: EaglesNest

Please tell me what axis surface ships made the attempt?, none that i am aware off. of the 62 subs that tried, 9 were sunk, 10 damaged and had to retreat, that's a 30% chance of damage that has nothing to do with ships at port. This is one of those exceptions in the game, Gibraltar had many things withen that relatively small hex to serious affect on enemy naval movement, not to mention severe tidal issues that made it perilous for subs to traverse. i am wondering if some sort of "fortification" unit should be placed there instead of the garrison unit that would fire on adjacent units as they moved through.

(in reply to Trump2016)
Post #: 4
RE: Gibraltar - 4/4/2017 4:23:09 PM   
TheBattlefield

It really does not matter how many ships or submarines have made it "historically" through Gibraltar. Without the exploitation of the natural strait and without a strict British surveillance it would have been a lot more. So why should it be impossible to pass by rule? The hex fields behind Moscow are also not impassable, although the Wehrmacht never succeeded. It should not be exaggerated with the historical elements, right?

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 5
RE: Gibraltar - 4/4/2017 5:01:09 PM   
vonik

I find that the actual rule is quite OK . It IS difficult, even deadly to try to pass it as Axis as long as the Allied have their Navy there .
If they decide to neglect it and let no navy guarding the strait, then it is their decision and they should not be surprised that Axis units go through .

(in reply to TheBattlefield)
Post #: 6
RE: Gibraltar - 4/6/2017 4:34:49 PM   
IrishGuards

Nothing to say about the actual OOB, nothing to say about fortifcation's, no strategic value in the
actual choke point's, and the control there under, with diplomacy playing a huge role.

You seem to miss the fact as stated by Eagle's Nest that Gib doesnt respond or react when being traversed.
That's laughable, even Ftrs respond by interception to attacks, and your saying that Gib, when being a naval base,
a hugely strategic point in the game is classafied as what then, just the unit in the hex, seriously ?

With the naval rules such as they are, where is the re-action ?

IG

(in reply to vonik)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Gibraltar Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI