Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/1/2017 6:47:56 PM   
Kingah

Been trying to play a few games now, but each time I begin to explore other systems after researching warp engines, the systems remain "unexplored" even though I have a ship in them.
I noticed you mentioned in the changelog for v1.3 that you fixed "Fixed bug where ships sometimes do not reveal the system they are in.". Playing on the latest version (55). This problem doesn't happen when I play with the original exe

< Message edited by Kingah -- 12/1/2017 7:27:40 PM >

(in reply to KarayaMan)
Post #: 361
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/1/2017 10:12:09 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingah

Been trying to play a few games now, but each time I begin to explore other systems after researching warp engines, the systems remain "unexplored" even though I have a ship in them.
I noticed you mentioned in the changelog for v1.3 that you fixed "Fixed bug where ships sometimes do not reveal the system they are in.". Playing on the latest version (55). This problem doesn't happen when I play with the original exe

Are you playing in conjunction with another mod? Are the explorers automated? If manual, what command did you give them (Explore system, sector, or just 'go here')?

When I said that comment about fixing the bug its not referring to individual planets showing as unexplore4d. It was referring to having a ship (any kind) in a system and still having the diagonal lines overlay present like how you see a system when you have no ships in it.

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 362
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/2/2017 9:01:14 AM   
Kingah

Playing with Unleashed Extended II. Have tried with both manual and automated explorers as well as all the commands. I only get this bug in other systems. exploring planets in my homesystem works fine.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 363
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/2/2017 10:00:03 PM   
BlindOne

quote:

Playing with Unleashed Extended II. Have tried with both manual and automated explorers as well as all the commands. I only get this bug in other systems. exploring planets in my homesystem works fine.

How do you boot up the program? Through Steam?

I've found that the game won't start properly if you use the steam link/shortcut. You need to make a separate shortcut and link it directly to the modified exe by roger bacon. That solved my problem which sounds awefuly similar to yours.

Make sure you also get roger bacon's altered start up screen. If you don't see his startup screen then you likely did not boot up the mod properly.

Hope this helps!

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 364
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/2/2017 11:26:06 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlindOne

quote:

How do you boot up the program? Through Steam?

I've found that the game won't start properly if you use the steam link/shortcut. You need to make a separate shortcut and link it directly to the modified exe by roger bacon. That solved my problem which sounds awefuly similar to yours.

Make sure you also get roger bacon's altered start up screen. If you don't see his startup screen then you likely did not boot up the mod properly.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Blindone. I'm glad its working for you. Yeah, I always start games and pretty much every program by double clicking on the exe. I'm an old school gamer. :)

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 365
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 12:08:11 AM   
BlindOne

Hey RogerBacon,

Thanks so much for adding the No Independent option in your mod! That was a personal pet peeve of mine.

Wish I could do hex editing (I'm assuming this is your method?) or is it simpler than that? I'm just a basic txt script monkey and that's about the extend of my modding prowess. I do have access to the infinite reality matrix but that's a totally different ball game...I mean who really cares to know that our reality itself is run on a quantum computer based on the Mandelbrot right? I think I'll just boot up your modded exe game now and enjoy some time off. Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Blind One

P.S.

If you could ask any question and have it answered...what would you like to know? I'll spoil something for you, reality is a hologram...so ask me anything about the hologram you'd want to know.

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 12/3/2017 12:14:34 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 366
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 6:53:35 PM   
BlindOne

Some Notes:

> Your robotic troop foundry facility (facilities.txt) claims (not-checked) to produce troops at one quarter (1/4th) (as opposed to the vanilla one third (1/3)) maintenance cost. This is not mentioned in the readme or any of the versions updates. I assume this is a personal modification of your own that snuck in and is unmentioned. (Edit: I am incorrect somehow about this...was sure it read one third...somehow...somewhere)
> Your planetary shield facility (facilities.txt) has 2 altered value's, I don't know what they mean, I hope you can elaborate on this? I am curious...I suspect another personal modification that is unmentioned?
> Your bombers (fighters.txt in BaconWorld) actually do 3x more damage than vanilla versions this is unmentioned in the changes log. Your fighters have a special setting that increases their damage against their fellow bombers by an adjustable setting in your baconsettings which impacts the vanilla versions which is cool as it is currently set to default at 3x making them fair in relation to the bombers. However it is not mentioned that bombers do 3x more damage in baconworld...(I have not tested this but this is what I assume from checking and comparing the txt files) (Edit: Indeed it seems you have mantioned this in later posts, it just unclear since it is umentioned in the readme and the first post.)
> What exactly did you change in the mining rate upgrades? (research.txt) You seem to have changed a value but I have no idea what this value actually does...could you care to explain what you changed in the mining rate? The mining rate values seem unchanged...so what did you alter? (Edit: Nvm, I understand now, the mining cap rate has been increased meaning you can stick more mining components on a single ship to increase it's mining speed)
> The CharacterNames.txt (BaconWorld) adds extra names for humanoid characters ''only'' however I recommend you delete this file for future downloads so that the total download size stays small and no unnecessary clutter of files is created since it is an unmentioned change/addition. This will help modders integrate your mod more easily into other projects without getting confused. I assume this was something you enjoyed personally, however for an external download it just clutters up the file with an unmentioned slight alteration.
> Your (BaconWorld) gametext.txt is completely unchanged from the original vanilla, it is not necessary to add this file to the download. Or am I mistaken and you did change something? Notepad ++ compare plugin did not detect any changes at all.

Hope this helps you a bit.

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 12/5/2017 12:47:00 PM >

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 367
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 7:03:40 PM   
Zecke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYcWlU9HonI

Epsilon Eridani

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 368
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 7:08:59 PM   
Kingah

Hmm... Seems to work when I have star gravity well on but not when I have it off. I'm at a loss.
Not sure what you meant by altered start up screen unless you refer to the small "Bacon Mod by Roger Bacon" popup.

< Message edited by Kingah -- 12/3/2017 7:46:24 PM >

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 369
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 8:42:44 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Some Notes:

> Your robotic troop foundry facility (facilities.txt) claims (not-checked) to produce troops at one quarter (1/4th) (as opposed to the vanilla one third (1/3)) maintenance cost. This is not mentioned in the readme or any of the versions updates. I assume this is a personal modification of your own that snuck in and is unmentioned.
> Your planetary shield facility (facilities.txt) has 2 altered value's, I don't know what they mean, I hope you can elaborate on this? I am curious...I suspect another personal modification that is unmentioned.
> Your bombers (fighters.txt in BaconWorld) actually do 3x more damage than vanilla versions this is unmentioned in the changes log. Your fighters have a special setting that increases their damage against their fellow bombers by an adjustable setting in your baconsettings which impacts the vanilla versions which is cool as it is currently set to default at 3x making them fair in relation to the bombers. However it is not mentioned that bombers do 3x more damage in baconworld...(I have not tested this but this is what I assume from checking and comparing the txt files)
> What exactly did you change in the mining rate upgrades? (research.txt) You seem to have changed a value but I have no idea what this value actually does...could you care to explain what you changed in the mining rate? The mining rate values seem unchanged...so what did you alter?
> The CharacterNames.txt (BaconWorld) adds extra names for humanoid characters ''only'' however I recommend you delete this file for future downloads so that the total download size stays small and no unnecessary clutter of files is created since it is an unmentioned change/addition. This will help modders integrate your mod more easily into other projects without getting confused. I assume this was something you enjoyed personally, however for an external download it just clutters up the file with an unmentioned slight alteration.
> Your (BaconWorld) gametext.txt is completely unchanged from the original vanilla, it is not necessary to add this file to the download. Or am I mistaken and you did change something? Notepad ++ compare plugin did not detect any changes at all.

Hope this helps you a bit.

I didn't make a change to robotic foundry, as you suspected. However, even my facilities.txt in the main folder mentions 1/4th cost. As far as I know, that is the vanilla text.
The only change I have in the facilities.txt file is for the terraforming facility. Everything else shows the same as vanilla. Unless I modded my vanilla a long time ago and forgot about it, there are no other changes.

Bombers do have x3 damage. I mention increasing their damage to compensate for the fact that they have limited ammo. Of course, you are free to set them any way you like.
The characterNames.txt is 8k so download times are measured in milliseconds. I added extra names because the fighter aces use up quite a few names and you start getting repeats pretty quickly. I intended to do it for all racial families but I never got around to it.

These days I assume most people are using my mod in conjunction with other mods (myself included) so I think most people aren't using the files in the BaconWorld folder.

Thanks for your feedback.

quote:

Hmm... Seems to work when I have star gravity well on but not when I have it off. I'm at a loss.
Not sure what you meant by altered start up screen unless you refer to the small "Bacon Mod by Roger Bacon" popup.

He means the mod's ability to have a custom background screen for the main menu. If you put a file called "customBackgroundImage.jpg" in your [modName]\Images folder you will get a custom background.

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 370
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 9:27:19 PM   
fruitgnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
... You can simulate a bigger galaxy with slower warp speeds. There is a global variable you cna set in the settings file to change all warp speeds so no need to edit them individually in the tech tree. ...

Where I can find this setting? In BaconSettings.txt I don't see it.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 371
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 10:31:54 PM   
BlindOne

I have a rather simple question.

How did you implement the separation of bombers and fighters? Or how does the game know it's a bomber bay rather than a fighter bay? is it hardcoded or does it look at the name somehow?

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 372
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 11:03:18 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: fruitgnome

quote:

... You can simulate a bigger galaxy with slower warp speeds. There is a global variable you cna set in the settings file to change all warp speeds so no need to edit them individually in the tech tree. ...

Where I can find this setting? In BaconSettings.txt I don't see it.

That one's not actually mine. Its a vanilla thing. You will find it in the Startup.ini in the root DWU folder.

(in reply to fruitgnome)
Post #: 373
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/3/2017 11:04:06 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

How did you implement the separation of bombers and fighters? Or how does the game know it's a bomber bay rather than a fighter bay? is it hardcoded or does it look at the name somehow?

If the component is of type fighterbay and it has 'bomber' in its name it will be treated as a bomber bay.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 374
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/4/2017 12:45:09 AM   
BlindOne

quote:

quote:

If the component is of type fighterbay and it has 'bomber' in its name it will be treated as a bomber bay.

Sweet, thank you, that is all I needed to know. That means it's quite easy to extend its functionality!

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 12/4/2017 12:48:59 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 375
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/4/2017 1:49:42 AM   
aviper9

Whenever I run the game with the replacement DistantWorlds.exe included with Baconmod, the game never launches but it does spawn a Distantworlds.exe taking up 21.0MB of ram in taskmanager. I have tried a few other versions and have the same issue. Any way to debug to find out where my issue is? I run ESET AV and have tried with it disabled, no change.

< Message edited by aviper9 -- 12/4/2017 1:50:13 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 376
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/4/2017 1:59:04 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Sweet, thank you, that is all I needed to know. That means it's quite easy to extend its functionality!

That's the way I roll.

quote:

ORIGINAL: aviper9

Whenever I run the game with the replacement DistantWorlds.exe included with Baconmod, the game never launches but it does spawn a Distantworlds.exe taking up 21.0MB of ram in taskmanager. I have tried a few other versions and have the same issue. Any way to debug to find out where my issue is? I run ESET AV and have tried with it disabled, no change.

Are you running the exe by double clicking on it? What version of Windows? Try right clicking on the exe and hit properties. Make sure it doesn't have the annoying "This file was downloaded..." and if it does, click the "unlock" so Windows will let it run. You shouldn't have to do any of that but maybe it will help.

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 377
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/4/2017 2:41:11 AM   
aviper9

quote:

Are you running the exe by double clicking on it? What version of Windows? Try right clicking on the exe and hit properties. Make sure it doesn't have the annoying "This file was downloaded..." and if it does, click the "unlock" so Windows will let it run. You shouldn't have to do any of that but maybe it will help.

Yes I am, also tried a shortcut but no change. Running Windows 10, Version 1709 Build one-six-two-nine-nine-POINT-six-four (forum thinks the build number is a phone number and wont let me post), no insider or beta stuff. Checked for the "This file was downloaded" part but I am good to go, I am the current file owner permissions-wise.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 378
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/4/2017 7:25:23 AM   
BlindOne

quote:

With the terraforming, players will be free to set whatever values they want. They could also make techs that improve the terraforming values the same way a tech can improve the values of weapons. So, an initial terraforming tech might have a habitability cap of 70 and a later one improves it to 80. It will be interesting to see what people come up with. The only reason I didn't do it is that I want to make as few dependencies on the text files as possible so that people can use the Bacon Mod with other mods fairly seamlessly.

Exactly how does that work? I don't remember there being a facility that actually benefits from research upgrades. I understand how it works for components but I have no clue how to apply it for facilities. Could you explain this to me? Or did you mean to say that one should add an extra terraforming facility separate from the original that allows for a higher terraforming level later in the game? That is certainly easily do-able.

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 379
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/4/2017 9:18:41 AM   
Sabranan

That's a good point actually BlindOne, there is no way to improve facility abilities in the way components can be upgraded. You could create a new, better facility higher up in the tech tree but then the AI would probably just end up building both.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 380
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/4/2017 11:07:19 AM   
fruitgnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarayaMan

I use this mod together with mordachai's Unleashed Extended II + Retreat1970's AI research orders.
Works very well for me.

I cannot build the fighter bomber bays, the components are missing and in the research tree; only Yor can invent the first fighter bomber technology and this is the only technology to get the figther and bomber bays.

Edit: Solved!
Haree78's Extended Universe 1.03
www.larrymonte.com/downloads/DWExtendedUniverseBaconFiles.zip are important, because Unleashed Extended II + Retreat1970's AI research orders uses the Extended Mod.

< Message edited by fruitgnome -- 12/4/2017 11:21:46 AM >

(in reply to KarayaMan)
Post #: 381
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/4/2017 9:21:50 PM   
aviper9

Any chance you could re-link one of your older versions for troubleshooting purposes?

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 382
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/5/2017 12:06:18 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: aviper9

Any chance you could re-link one of your older versions for troubleshooting purposes?

Sure, which version would you like? Although, for what its worth, I can't imagine one version working and noth the others.

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 383
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/5/2017 2:16:51 AM   
aviper9

I was thinking maybe the first and/or second version of the mod? I agree with you, but it's worth a shot!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 384
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/7/2017 6:10:45 PM   
MaddMugsy

For anyone else with the IndexOutOfRangeException when clicking the ship design button:

I've just installed the Bacon mod on a fresh reinstall of DWU and I started getting the error. As far as I can tell, no images are missing. It works fine with the original exe, and it works with the Bacon mod exe if I use the Default theme. As soon as I switch to the BaconWorld theme however, the error occurs.

The fix for me was to remove/revert the characterNames.txt back to the original text. It could be that there are more names then there are ship design templates or images or something. Anyway, that fixed it!

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 385
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/8/2017 10:38:05 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi All,

I'm going to try to get the next version out this weekend. Up to this point you may have noticed that the custom messages that appear in the game (such as when a carrier finishes building all fighters) have a red X where the icon would normally go. That's because there is no icon associated with my extra messages. It looked ugly but now I have found a way to assign an icon for each new type of message I want to send.
The downside is that it will mean that each of the png files will have to be in the mod if I want to show them in the game. Its one more step away from a pure exe and makes the mod dependent on other files. I thik I will release the next version with a placeholder (the construction_stalled.png) and decide later if I want to include custom images (and thus force everyone to include them in any mod they combine this one with).

[edit]
Never mind. I found a way to have new files and default to an existing one if the new one is not found.
The version I release this weekend won't have the new icons. Maybe I'll leave it up to the community to make/find some good ones. They would need to be the same size as the ones in the images\ui\messages directory.

RB

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 12/9/2017 12:15:18 AM >

(in reply to MaddMugsy)
Post #: 386
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/9/2017 12:20:21 AM   
RogerBacon

We all love our spies, right? What happens when they get detected on their mission? Sometimes they get away but sometimes they get caught. And when they get caught... Dead!
But what if there was another way? Does the punishment for espionage always have to be death? Introducing the chance to capture spies alive.

spyCaptureChance=0.5
A new setting in the BaconSettings.ini allows the player to set a chance (0.0 -1.0) that a spy who fails his mission and would normally die will be caught instead. So, what happens when they are caught? They spend the rest of their lives in prison...

Ransom

The base cost of ransoming a spy is set in BaconSettings.txt
spyBaseValue=250000
It is then modified by the spy's skill levels.
Now you can get your captured spies back if you are willing to pay the ransom. You can also ransom enemy spies back to their empire. The AI will also ransom spies between each other if they have the money.
But what if you don't have the money?

Get a loan!

A little short on money? No problem. All of those independent planets are more than willing to help you out... if your credit rating is good enough.
!loan [amount] is the command in the ship finder.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 12/9/2017 2:17:17 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 387
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/9/2017 9:21:20 AM   
Sithuk

Hi Roger, is there anyway you can have the galaxy screen view (hotkey g) remember the last selected menu options? It is frustrating when searching for resource locations to constantly have to reselect the drop down menu choices for a particular resource.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 388
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/9/2017 1:59:43 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.6 released.

Added Loans and Prisoner ransoming. Removed characterNames.txt from Baconworld.

Loans -- You can now get a loan when you need more cash. !loan [amount] will let you see how the terms of the loan and, if you agree, you will take out the loan. Entering !loan without an amout will show you any outstanding loans you currently have.

Ransoming Captured Spies – There is now a chance that a captured spy will be put in prison instead of killed. This is controlled in the BaconSettigns with a value between 0.0 and 1.0 where 1.0 means a captured spy will always be taken alive and put in prison. Open the prisoner screen with Ctrl-P to view your prisoners as well as your spies being held on other planets that are available to ransom back. When a spy is captured you won’t know right away if the AI will allow them to be ransomed back. They will make that decision at some point in the future (usually 45-180 days).
Ctrl-P – Opens the prisoners form.

As I mentioned last week, saved games from pervious version may take several minutes to load the first time you load them. On a very large map it might even take up to 20 minutes. After this old file has been saved with the new version it will open normally after that.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 389
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 12/9/2017 6:21:53 PM   
fruitgnome

I use now version 1.6. The game freezes, then crashes. With the previous version 1.55, it said that there is not enough memory. The game uses only 1GB but there are 4GB more that it could use. Also with the new version 1.6 it only uses 1GB. I it also not possible to start then the Task Manager to close Distant Worlds, I only can hard reset my pc.

I also got this exception in 1.55 and 1.6:
Die Auflistung wurde geändert. Der Enumerationsvorgang kann möglicherweise nicht ausgeführt werden.

< Message edited by fruitgnome -- 12/9/2017 8:22:54 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI