Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bacon Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/13/2018 9:32:01 AM   
Hanekem

So, I am using the exe with Retreat EU (I like mods that slow down early FTL) and noticed that hanger AI seems to build fighters only. This is porbably related to something the exe is doing (perhasp in part due to the Fighter and bomber hangars of the mod) but I am quite sure that the fighter/bomber ratio was moddifiable but I don't seem to recall where (or if at all, maybe I am confused)

(in reply to Raagun)
Post #: 481
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/13/2018 3:06:06 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanekem

So, I am using the exe with Retreat EU (I like mods that slow down early FTL) and noticed that hanger AI seems to build fighters only. This is porbably related to something the exe is doing (perhasp in part due to the Fighter and bomber hangars of the mod) but I am quite sure that the fighter/bomber ratio was moddifiable but I don't seem to recall where (or if at all, maybe I am confused)

Hi,

If you are only using the exe with another mod's files then you will only get fighters. You need to add the new BomberBay component to build bombers. FighterBays make fighters and BomberBays make bombers. That's how you control the ratio of fighters to bombers on your ships. It's pretty easy to add a component and the accompanying research to a mod. You can look at the example files I included on page one for some popular mods.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 482
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/13/2018 4:30:31 PM   
Hanekem

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

Hi,

If you are only using the exe with another mod's files then you will only get fighters. You need to add the new BomberBay component to build bombers. FighterBays make fighters and BomberBays make bombers. That's how you control the ratio of fighters to bombers on your ships. It's pretty easy to add a component and the accompanying research to a mod. You can look at the example files I included on page one for some popular mods.

So, basically, I'd need to do a component called Bomber Bay, associate it to the proper techs (so they can create/improve it) and that's that? or do I need to set the Bay name in a particular fashion?
I was looking at the files you linked for the other two mods, so I am just asking for clarifications, in case I misssed something (plos I am using the editor, so I might be missing a flag or something and given the game's load time, I'd rather be sure of whatever modification I am going to do)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 483
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/13/2018 5:30:30 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

So, basically, I'd need to do a component called Bomber Bay, associate it to the proper techs (so they can create/improve it) and that's that? or do I need to set the Bay name in a particular fashion?
I was looking at the files you linked for the other two mods, so I am just asking for clarifications, in case I misssed something (plos I am using the editor, so I might be missing a flag or something and given the game's load time, I'd rather be sure of whatever modification I am going to do)

You are correct. A bomber bay is an exact copy of a fighter bay except its name. If the component name contains 'bomber' then it will build bombers. Otherwise it will build fighters.

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 484
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/13/2018 6:29:43 PM   
Hanekem

quote:

quote:

You are correct. A bomber bay is an exact copy of a fighter bay except its name. If the component name contains 'bomber' then it will build bombers. Otherwise it will build fighters.

Neat, so in this case in particular, I do need to ask one more question, I am using Retreat's mod, and components have long names with a "Component type - component name" structure, this is done to allow a sort and have all types close to one another, so in the case of Hangar bays the prefix is Fighters, going to err on caution and probably rename them craft or snubs (to pay homage to Star Wars), but what would happen if the component has both tags, Fighter and bomber, but do you think that would be problematic?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 485
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/14/2018 6:46:14 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

May one ask what tools you are using to mod the DistantWorld.exe... everything in this mod is awesome but I would like to poke around in the code as well?

For example I would like to change the Graviton Beam to do less damage to small ships and more to large ships, something to not make bigger ships the only option in the game. Perhaps some other weapon balance changes too.

(in reply to Kothyxaan)
Post #: 486
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/14/2018 8:35:03 PM   
Capshades

Will "Retreat1970's Unleashed Extended II + AI research orders" work with just the first patch provided on the OP or is there additional changes needed? I'm asking because I'm still getting weird crashes.

And how about ehsumrell1's star trek mod?

< Message edited by Capshades -- 1/14/2018 9:40:40 PM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 487
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/15/2018 1:54:28 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Neat, so in this case in particular, I do need to ask one more question, I am using Retreat's mod, and components have long names with a "Component type - component name" structure, this is done to allow a sort and have all types close to one another, so in the case of Hangar bays the prefix is Fighters, going to err on caution and probably rename them craft or snubs (to pay homage to Star Wars), but what would happen if the component has both tags, Fighter and bomber, but do you think that would be problematic?

I believe the logic is if the component has "bomber" in the name it produces bombers, otherwise it produces fighters.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

May one ask what tools you are using to mod the DistantWorld.exe... everything in this mod is awesome but I would like to poke around in the code as well?

For example I would like to change the Graviton Beam to do less damage to small ships and more to large ships, something to not make bigger ships the only option in the game. Perhaps some other weapon balance changes too.

Hi,

Thanks for the kinds words about the mod. Unfortunately my policy is to not comment about how it was made. Since the developers took active steps to prevent this sort of thing I think it is best to say nothing. Sorry.
Your idea about the graviton beam doing more damage based on ship size is excellent. I remember it worked that way in MOO2. I modded a weapon like that in Star Drive 2.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capshades

Will "Retreat1970's Unleashed Extended II + AI research orders" work with just the first patch provided on the OP or is there additional changes needed? I'm asking because I'm still getting weird crashes.

And how about ehsumrell1's star trek mod?

What sort of crashes are you getting? Merging mods is pretty easy. You only need to add the components, facilities, and research projects that I've added which are not in the other mod. Those would be the fighter bayx, the terraforming facility, and the research that enables the fighter bays.

(in reply to Capshades)
Post #: 488
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/15/2018 8:49:06 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

Hi,

Thanks for the kinds words about the mod. Unfortunately my policy is to not comment about how it was made. Since the developers took active steps to prevent this sort of thing I think it is best to say nothing. Sorry.
Your idea about the graviton beam doing more damage based on ship size is excellent. I remember it worked that way in MOO2. I modded a weapon like that in Star Drive 2.

Sure... I respect that you don't want to tell how you did it. I seem to be on my way to solving it myself, the fact I know you could do it was enough for me to invest time to experiment with it. I don't intend to release any mods though, was more for my own amusement.

My idea with the Graviton Beam and the exploding version was that it should be a mid to late game weapon and roughly at the same tech level as when you research ship sizes of roughly 650 size. The beam would be roughly equivalent to the same type of other energy weapons at damage potential against 650 size ships. It would then do less damage to smaller ships and more damage the bigger they get. Sort of a long range Anti-capital weapon that is large in size and require lots of energy.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 489
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/15/2018 9:34:43 PM   
Retreat1970

Area and Grav weapons are garbage. Any change to these would be most welcome imo.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 490
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/17/2018 8:06:06 PM   
Tsiru

The problem on windows 10 is that it's waiting on a thread from svhost to finish.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 491
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/23/2018 10:13:41 PM   
DasTactic

@Tsiru, did you get it working? I'm assuming this the issue where the modded exe file doesn't do anything after running on Windows 10. I had gone through and modded all of the relevant files for the RetreatUE mod and wanted to test it to see if it was working properly then came across this non-starting issue after loading in the Bacon mod files.

I'm DasTactic on YouTube and was really wanting to make a live-stream about the two mods. :( Hopefully there will be a solution some time soon. I saw that a number of people on Steam had had this issue as well for quite some time with no work-around.

I'll upload the files I've changed to (hopefully) have the RetreatUE mod work with the Bacon mod in case anyone else is wanting to test things. The main area I'm unsure about is the changes to the research.txt files with the fighters. The RetreatUE mod seems to have some different code structures in there when comparing to the base game research.txt file which may have to do with racial limitations.

If anyone is wanting to try this out...
1. Install the Bacon mod.
2. Install the RetreatUE mod (but maybe change the name of the directory to 'Bacon RetreatUE').
3. Replace the files in the Bacon RetreatUE directory with the txt files in the zip.

As I said I hadn't been able to test this at all so there may be issues.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tsiru)
Post #: 492
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/24/2018 3:41:49 AM   
Sabranan

Hi Das,

I can confirm that with Bacon 1.65, RetreatUE II and your modded files the game does load and start as it should. At least it does for me, I'm on a Windows 10 machine so I've no idea what the non-starting issue is being caused by.

But there is a little bit more you'd need to do with regard to fighters/bombers, the "Ultimate Hanger Bay" doesn't enable an equivalent bomber bay.

There's also the Caleph specific fighter bay tech ("Natural Flight Integration", "Multi Dimension Maintenance" and "Advanced Natural Flight"), which would need their equivalent bomber bays unless you don't mind them being at a bit of a disadvantage. Or you could just disable their race file of course, would probably be simpler!

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 493
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/24/2018 10:48:22 AM   
BlindOne

I too can positively confirm that RetreatUE DOES work with baconmod if you properly modify all the files.

I myself am running a modified version of retreatUE with a bunch of other mods slapped together with BaconMod. The only issue I have is whenever a spy is caught or escapes it goes out of index bounds every once in a while but I am 99.9% certain this is a bacon issue and has nothing to do with retreatUE or the other mods that I compiled. I am running windows 7 however

quote:

I'm on a Windows 10 machine so I've no idea what the non-starting issue is being caused by

Non starting can be any file or even a tiny jot or jittle that has been messed up. I've had the entire game not start because the game had problems loading a specific component.png image... All I did was change the image of a component from 120 to number 185...and it COMPLETELY stopped working all together...dead in the water so to speak. Did not start up AT ALL! Like it never loaded...

To know if Bacon is running functionally with your mods all you need to do is install the bacon.exe and main files and load up your original mod (WITHOUT any changes from the baconworld customization folder) to see if it properly loads. If it loads without a hitch then you know it is not bacon that is messing things up. You won't have any added features such as terraforming, the hangar bays or extra mining capacity but it will give you a clue on whether you messed up the files yourself or whether it is a windows issue.

I recommend using notepad++ and the compare plugin to compare the ''original'' DW files to the BaconWorld files to see what has changed and then copying those changes to your own mod files. That's what I did.

quote:

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY: Glorious Bacon

What sort of crashes are you getting? Merging mods is pretty easy. You only need to add the components, facilities, and research projects that I've added which are not in the other mod. Those would be the fighter bayx, the terraforming facility, and the research that enables the fighter bays.

You're forgetting your improved mining capacity changes...you also need to edit the mining rates in the research components to change their capacity. Just a small note

I recommend you add an extra readme that lists all the changes that need to be made if you want to integrate it into another mod. It is easy to forget these things and it is doubly more annoying for a person who is completely unfamiliar with your mod and what changes need to be made to make it function.

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 1/24/2018 11:05:32 AM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 494
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/24/2018 6:24:43 PM   
DasTactic

Thanks Sabranan. I re-installed DW with everything vanilla but still no luck getting the Bacon mod to work. It starts in memory then just becomes a background process. I'll leave it there and check back in from time to time to see if anyone has found a work-around. For the sake of dubugging I'm on Windows 10, dual monitors, Steam version of the game, Steam not in the default location.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 495
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/24/2018 7:19:14 PM   
Sabranan

One thing that might be useful is if someone experiencing this issue can run process monitor, filter it for the distant worlds .exe and compare vanilla with bacon. Might give Roger a clue as to what's going on.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 496
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/24/2018 7:30:41 PM   
Nobody987

Hi Das,

try maybe to turn off AV and then run the game.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 497
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/24/2018 11:45:31 PM   
DasTactic

I started both versions of the game from within the directory with the AV off and made some CSV log files.

Hope these help. I checked them in some comparison software but didn't really see what I should be looking for.

Thanks again for your assistance guys. :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nobody987)
Post #: 498
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/26/2018 3:03:55 PM   
lewenhaupt

Hi!

I have noticed a strange AI behavour. The AI empires are trading their colonies too often via diplomacy. (Some colonies changed their owner 4 or 5 times...) I'm using BaconMod with RetreatUE.

Did anyone notice this or this is not mod-related thing?

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 499
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/26/2018 9:36:44 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: lewenhaupt

Hi!

I have noticed a strange AI behavour. The AI empires are trading their colonies too often via diplomacy. (Some colonies changed their owner 4 or 5 times...) I'm using BaconMod with RetreatUE.

Did anyone notice this or this is not mod-related thing?

How often is "too often"? You can turn off "tradeEverything" if you don't want the AI to trade colonies.

(in reply to lewenhaupt)
Post #: 500
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/26/2018 9:41:29 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi All,

I've been busy lately with non-DWU stuff and also had the flue for a week. So, I haven't had time to do much modding. I'l probably go ahead and release the next update this weekend. It's small. The only changes are alphabetizing the trade items, an improvement to manually resupplying construction ships with manual freighters, and a manual fix for explorer ships that appear to be in a system but aren't exploring.

I had been working on a feature to allow the user to change empires mid-game but I haven't been able to get it working properly and so I'm probably going to give up on that. I got it to the point where you can change empires but you still get notifications from your original empire and when you try to save the game it crashes. Too bad. I really would have liked to make that work.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 501
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/27/2018 1:52:41 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

Roger, you know, you're a genius

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 502
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/27/2018 12:42:52 PM   
lewenhaupt

I got it. Thanks for quick help.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 503
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/27/2018 2:44:19 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.66 Released

- Tradable items list is now alphabetized.
- Ctrl-F makes the game re-check what system the selected ship is in. This should fix the issue where exploration ships are not exploring for some people because the game does not "see" them as being in a system.
- Better logic for manual cargo missions resupplying construction ships. So you shouldn't have to worry about a rarely used strategic resource getting overfilled after repeated construction missions.

Since I don't have much free time anymore this will probably be the final version of the mod. It started as a small customization for myself and its grown into something larger than I ever thought. I'm glad I 2was able to bring it to the community for others to enjoy.

(in reply to lewenhaupt)
Post #: 504
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/27/2018 3:02:18 PM   
Retreat1970

Thanks for your hard work. It was the most exciting thing to hit these forums in a long time.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 505
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/28/2018 8:49:53 PM   
BlindOne

Fore sure Roger!

You're mod was like a miniature revolution inside the Distant Worlds Community and you got me to play and mod the game again for which I am really grateful. I do hope you'll come back to it again one day but I can see why you'd leave it at where it is right now. You did an amazing job so far!

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 506
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/30/2018 1:38:13 PM   
netie

quote:

ORIGINAL: aviper9

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: aviper9
I am one of the folks having this issue, did you have any luck getting it to work on your windows 10 machine? I run windows 10 64bit, i7 3770k, 32gb ram and a nvidia 1080ti. ESET Smart Security is my AV. Have tried a few versions of the mod, it never loads anything but appears in task manager taking up exactly 21.4MB of ram.

I tried running it in safe mode but same issue. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reinstall of windows which I am getting close to doing as I really want to check this mod out.

In post #414 of this thread netie got it working on his Win 8.1 machine. I don't have windows 10 but I know some people had issues getting vanilla DWU to run in Windows 10. If the vanilla game runs for you I'm not sure what would cause the mod to not run.

Hey RogerBacon, yeah vanilla works fine. I'm hoping a reinstall of windows will do the trick.

Hi. Sorry for long time to response.

I tested it on another machine.
--
Steam, Win10pro(64bit), i7-7700, intel HD 630, 16GB,
ESET Internet Security 10
--
And it can run the BaconMod 1.61.

At least, it can be said that I can play BaconMod when I get newer PC for gaming in the future.

(in reply to aviper9)
Post #: 507
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/9/2018 11:11:52 AM   
lewenhaupt

Hi all!

I got a constant CTD, when I hit CTRL-P(Prisoner screen).

The exception says:
System.NullReferenceException: Az objektumhivatkozás nincs beállítva semmilyen objektumpéldányra.
a következő helyen: BaconDistantWorlds.prisonForm..ctor(Main main)
a következő helyen: BaconDistantWorlds.BaconEmpire.ShowPrisonForm(Main main)

Another question
I got a lot of pop-up message too:
'Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index'

Anyone has an idea how to fix this problem? I tried to change spyCaptureChance and spyBaseValue to nill without success.

(in reply to netie)
Post #: 508
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/9/2018 10:41:49 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: lewenhaupt

Hi all!

I got a constant CTD, when I hit CTRL-P(Prisoner screen).

The exception says:
System.NullReferenceException: Az objektumhivatkozás nincs beállítva semmilyen objektumpéldányra.
a következõ helyen: BaconDistantWorlds.prisonForm..ctor(Main main)
a következõ helyen: BaconDistantWorlds.BaconEmpire.ShowPrisonForm(Main main)

Were you playing as a pirate or as a regular empire?
Was your pirate base destroyed or capital recently changed?
Any chance the empire that the spy was spying on has since been eliminated?
Does it happen if you start a new game and try to bring up the prison form?

(in reply to lewenhaupt)
Post #: 509
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 2/10/2018 7:09:17 AM   
lewenhaupt

Hi,

1. I'm playing with regular empire. (Pirates are off)
2. Nope
3. There is a definitive chance to be spying on an elimanated empire. (A lot of empire annihilated)
4. I started a new game, but nothing happened hitting CTLR-P. (neither CTD or Prisoner form)

Thanks!

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI