Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 4/27/2018 4:41:31 PM   
elvendeathknight

Thanks !

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 571
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 4/27/2018 5:36:36 PM   
BlindOne

Omg Bacon you're back! (for the time being)

Can I make a request?

I'd like to see increased tribute for protectorates and subjugated dominions. Preferably a setting that can be entered in the baconsettings file if possible.

Currently you only get a paltry 10% of an enemy empire's income. If you consider that often times the AI only has a ~30% tax on its economy then 10% of that 30% is only 3%. I can't build a wall with that little money! I need mexico to pay me more! Like 25 to 50% seems much more reasonable.

It'd be really great to get something like an economy going simply on subjugating enemy empires and creating protectorates but it is impossible with the current system. In my personal mod I've been using a very very slow population growth race and while they are very strong early game, their growth makes them very hard to expand with late game and they weaken considerably but it is my hope that this is mediated by being able to subjugate other races and thus have others pay for their expansion Since they are xenophobic I don't want to play them as an inclusive race or one that takes on other races into their empire.

So 2 seperate options that set the tribute % for these 2 diplomatic relation types (protectorates and subjugated dominions) would be amazing. This would allow players to create empires based on these diplomacy types and it would create interesting scenario's when half the galaxy revolts against your rule and you find yourself without any money all of a sudden because you over relied on foreign tribute and now have to face an emergent rebellion and crush it before your funds run out.

Thank you so much for your work so far! I hope you find a new employer soon (though I'm schizophrenic on this one, I want to keep you around modding for as long as possible too ... ahhh Kami-sama, why do you make me so conflicted? I can't have it both ways )

Take care and love the idea of the Bacon Trader. Haven't played around with it yet but it is just what i need next time I get bored and have the game run simulated galaxies for fun. I really enjoy making my own stories as I play. Often times I'll just pick a small fleet and play around with that fighting against the AI's my empire is at war with.

Oh that reminds me of a possible 2nd feature ...

Could you disable/modify the % requirements for Resupply Ships, Carriers and Constructors? Especially with Refueling ships I often find myself placing unnecessary Cargo and docking modules on them to fit the requirements. Completely useless at some point ... Again a possible defining value in baconsettings would do wonders for these ship types. Just another humble suggestion from a loyal and happy customer.

(in reply to elvendeathknight)
Post #: 572
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 4/28/2018 1:52:57 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi BlindOne,

Excellent suggestion about the Subjugation percentage. It was straitforward to make the change and it will be in the next release of the mod.
// This is the percentage of income a subjugated empire must pay to its master 0.1 (i.e. 10%) is default.
SubjugationTributePercentage=0.1

I couldn't find any reference to protectorates paying money though. Neither in the manual nor in the code. Are you sure they are supposed to pay? Have you seen the effect in game?

Finally, as for the three ship types Constructor, Carrier, and Resupply Ship, they all allow building past the 100% size limit. For balance purposes they have those restrictions you mentioned. Without them it would just be too tempting to use "Construction Ship" for every mega-warship one wanted to build. For that reason, I think its best to leave those restrictions in place.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 573
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 4/29/2018 1:14:13 AM   
RogerBacon

Just a quick update: testing is going well. Expect a release tomorrow or Monday if nothing unexpected pops up.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 574
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/29/2018 6:34:53 AM   
Janus99

Man, this mod is so good I had to make an account just to comment here

I certainly hope devs are paying attention here, because some of its features should have been in the game right from the start.
I specially like terraforming and the experience system. Shakturi capital ships with legendary xp are seriously scary.
Having state passenger ships sure is convenient but it kinda feels like cheating, so I don't use too many.

The Bacon Stats Viewer is the one thing I had always wanted, back in older games like Age of Empires and Civ III you could see a graph of how well you did throughout and that was awesome. I only wish it was clearer to what half of the stats mean, like the "Economy" which doesn't seem to correlate to anything in the game Maybe you could change to the terminology used in-game to compare empires, like strategic value and number of colonies.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

Happy New Year!
Version 1.65 released!

A new sort order for the shiplist screen! If you have not sorted your shiplist screen AND you have a ship or planet selected, the sort order for whatever you pick from the shiplist screen will be sorted by DISTANCE from the selected object. If you have sorted your shiplist it will continue to use the sorted order you selected. If you have nothing selected it will use default behavior. If you have sorted the list and want to go back to default sorting (which is based on build time) click on the column header with the empire flags. You will see the new distance sort order the next time you open the shiplist screen or change selection with the dropdown box.

Please, this and every new feature should be announced in the first post, I was confused at first by this until I read the thread.

Now I have a request, maybe you could help and make our lives easier:
A longstanding quarrel I have with the game is how other empires ask for certain stations as part of a trade. But, how am i supposed to know where is the station they want from me?
Can't you do something to make it easier to find them?

Now about current features, is there a way to disable the new Hangar behavior? I just want the old 50/50 fighter/bomber ratio, I'm not really interested in the new components. Could you make that an option?

I should also mention some bugs I've been getting:
- The game freezing with 100% processor use forcing me to reboot, pretty rare but I've lost some gametime between autosaves because of this. Most of the time it happens after zooming into a system
- The game crashes if I try to change themes while using your exe

Also pirates are still broken, and the lack of pirate freighters harm AI empires in the beginning.
Aaand sometimes empires still build asteroid colonies even if you disable them, to avoid it I've simply changed their price way up. But you might want to look into that.

Thanks for everything and keep up the good work, you got me hooked on this game again

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 575
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/29/2018 2:32:01 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi Janus99. Welcome to the forums.

The terms used in the Bacon stats viewer are taken from in-game variables. I supposed they don't map directly to what's displayed on the screen. For example, I'm pretty sure the "ships destroyed" might be something like "total size of ships destroyed" because I see some really large numbers in some of my games. I thought "Economy" corresponded directly to the "Economy" tab in the Empire comparison screen though.

The sort by distance default setting for the shiplist screen is explained in the readme.doc file. The first post of this thread is already pretty verbose and I'm afraid I'll run up against the max post size pretty soon. Also, if I make it too big people won't read any of it.

Yes, I agree that the trade bases dialog was always irritating. You never knew how badly the AI was trying to screw you on the trade. The Bacon mod helps a lot here already. When the trade dialog is open you can upen the ship finder (ctrl-E) and type in the name of the base being offered. Then, starting with the next release, you can use ctrl+enter to see the current cargo in the base. The cargo that it has a lot of will usually be what is mined there. It's still not perfect but its better than nothing.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to disable the fighter bomber components. I may try to do that in the future but I never though it would be difficult for peple to add a couple of components to their game. I guess I was wrong because a lot of people have asked about how to do it. So many, in fact, that merged files have been posted for most of the popular mods.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Janus99
- The game freezing with 100% processor use forcing me to reboot, pretty rare but I've lost some gametime between autosaves because of this. Most of the time it happens after zooming into a system
- The game crashes if I try to change themes while using your exe

I'm sorry to hear about those crashes. Send me a stack trace the next time it happens and I may be able to find something. I haven't experienced that though. I just tested changing themese while writing this and it changed without incident.

The AI should definitely not be building asterout colonies if you've turned that feature off. Keep in mind that the BaconSettings are read in dynamically everytime you resume a saved game. That means that if you turned asteroid colonies off in your old save but later turned them on for another game you would have to turn them off again before resuming the old saved game. This is true for all settings.

(in reply to Janus99)
Post #: 576
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/29/2018 5:14:53 PM   
Janus99

I'm afraid there's no stacktrace, it kinda just closes down immediately without any error message . I assume it's an out of memory error, since I'm admittedly playing on a toaster but I figured 4 GB should have been enough. I don't remember getting any crashes on vanilla while it did freeze at times it always came back after a while, maybe my computer can't keep up with all the additions you've made .

The asteroid colonies are a complete mystery to me, because the only time I edited the config file was at installation and I disabled them. Suddenly, when invading another empire I started seeing them around, went to double check and they were still disabled .

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 577
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/29/2018 11:52:18 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.68 released
Free traders - Earn an honest living buying and selling.
Modifiable subjugation tribute value in BaconSettings.txt
Usability Improvement to ship design component selection list

(in reply to Janus99)
Post #: 578
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/30/2018 11:33:22 PM   
sintez98

Hello! I have a small question about mod installation with Extended Universe&AI Improvement Mod.
What is the correct installation way?

1. replaced two original txt's with new from "Haree78 Extended Universe 1.03'-archive in Extended Universe&AI Improvement Modfolder.
2. Copied exe and "Bacon settings", "passengers" to DWU folder
3. Chaged string "9, Terraforming Facility"
Is this correct?

And I have a little probleme with Science Ships."Alt + Ctrl + right click menu" has only one option - "hold here", but no specific research project. What I did wrong?

< Message edited by sintez98 -- 4/30/2018 11:35:18 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 579
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/1/2018 1:20:19 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sintez98

And I have a little probleme with Science Ships."Alt + Ctrl + right click menu" has only one option - "hold here", but no specific research project. What I did wrong?

I'll let someone else with more experience with that mod confirm the steps to integrate them. As for science ships...

Make sure you explorer has at least one lab.
Be sure to hold down the alt key before the control key.
Allow a little time to pass between the construction of a science ship and picking what it will research. One in-game month should be enough.

(in reply to sintez98)
Post #: 580
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/7/2018 12:02:22 AM   
RogerBacon

I'm working on fixing a couple of bugs for the next release. I've always suspected there was a bug with prisoners where I would get a report of capturing a spy and they would never show up in the prison screen. I thought the RNG was screwing with me but I set the capture chance to 1.0 and still nothing. It turns out that the game always resets a spy's mission to counterintel after their current mission ends, even if its planning on killing them, That screwed with my logic so I moved my capture cheak up earlier before the mission is reset. Now my captured spies are showing up as they should. Speaking of which, check this guy out...

An ambassador with +63 counter-espionage. This guy's made me so much money capturing spies and ransoming them back. No buddy, you're not going anywhere even if you are an ambassador. You're staying right here.

The other bug I'm working on is the "exploration ships stuck around an unknown star". I always thought it had something to do with gravity wells but I just started a game without gravity wells *rare for me) and I saw the bug. Hopefully I can figure it out because I know its caused at least one person to uninstall the mod.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 581
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/7/2018 10:00:54 PM   
elvendeathknight

All right, keep up the good work !

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 582
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/10/2018 10:41:22 AM   
marathom

Hi there,
installed this mod properly (copied both .txt-files + .exe to the main DW-folder in the Steam-app-folder), try to start it directly in the folder (not via Steam-link) but -- nothing happened.
The game won´t start. There´s no response. In the Task-Manager DW is not present.
Tried to start the original-.exe without problems. But the Bacon-.exe won´t even start. Tried to start as "admin" in the properties - no effect. What went wrong? Is there a Workaround for that? (Using Win10)
Thanks in advance...

[Edit]: Oh, I saw on previous pages: netie and aviper9 had the same problem. I run it on a Windows Surface Book w. performance-base, last win10-Build. Did anyone gets an solution? Really want to try this interesting mod...

< Message edited by marathom -- 5/10/2018 12:41:15 PM >

(in reply to elvendeathknight)
Post #: 583
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/11/2018 2:07:55 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.69 released.

Fixed bug in captured spies.
Fixed bug in exploration ships getting tuck around "unknown star".
New option to make bases weapons ranges longer than ship.
Added configurable settings in the BaconSettings.txt file for:
capturedSpyEscapeChance=0.02
capturedSpyDefectChance=0.02
marketPriceUpdateChance=1

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to marathom)
Post #: 584
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/12/2018 2:05:51 PM   
sotthata

Howdy. I've been playing Bacon since 1.68. I like the quality-of-life changes with the ship designer being hands down my favorite! So thanks for the mod :)

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1) Can asteroid colonies be built outside the colonization distance?
2) Do asteroid colonies extend the colonization range (i.e., using them to bunny-hop to a world outside of the colonization range of your other worlds)?
3) What are the repair/rearm mechanics of bombers and fighters? When in combat, do they return to their hanger to reload ammo and is damage repaired at that point?
4) When fighters or bombers are destroyed, when are they replaced?
5) When you build state freighter ships and use the !freetrader option, does that move them to the private sector?
6) What is the purpose of the !freetrader loan and the difference say from 1 and 100K?

and lastly, this is perhaps more of an opinion than Bacon-related, when you have a lot of unfilled Caslon, would it serve you better to build more private freighters or private gas miners? Or is this a case made for the non-stop freight mission? (I've yet to use that feature.)

Some oddities I saw in 1.68.

1) I noticed a mass of private ships that were stuck in a system. I disabled the stars hyper-limit and it didn't help. What did unstick them was returning the Bacon defaults of 1500/6000 (hyperjump accuracy/threshold) to the DW defaults. I'm now running it at 500/6000.

2) I've not been able to trust the "refuel" icon or allow constructors/explorers to automatically return for fuel. It appears they sometimes get confused and never complete the refuel order. I can catch the situation when using the left-menu and seeing them sitting with a "Refuel" mission but at 0% fuel. Typically issuing a move order directly to a fuel station and then when they get there, then pressing the "Refuel" button seems to work consistently.

edit: clarified ship type in question #5

< Message edited by sotthata -- 5/12/2018 2:45:45 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 585
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/12/2018 2:40:45 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi Softhata and welcome to the Bacon Mod.
Lot's of interesting questions there.

1 and 2, the answer is probably yes. I've never limited colonization range in any of my games so I haven't tested it. However, since the way the asteroid colonies is created is different than usual colonization then they can probably be created regardless of range. Once created, the game should see them as regular colonies so they should extend colonization range. Wow, you may have finally found a good use for asteroid colonies.

3 When out of ammo the bombers (not fighters, which continue to have unlimited ammo) will break off and return to their carrier to re-arm. I'm not sure if damage is repaired at that point. Maybe someone can observe and let us know.
4 The game begins replacing fighters/bombers as soon as they are destroyed. Usually it happens very quickly but there is an option to slow it down in the Baconsettings "fighterBuildSpeedDivisor", which is 2 in vanilla DWU because it takes twice as long to build a new fighter as it does to repair one.

5 I think you meant to say "state" ships here since you wouldn't want to use the !freetrader on private ships since you can't control private ships. The answer is, no, a state ship that is a !freetrader remains a state ship. However, the distinction is academic because freetraders pay for their own upkeep. It is not paid by either the state or public sectors.

6 The freetrader loan is the initial amount of starting capital the freetrader has to work with. You need that money to make your initial purchase of goods.

Re: your observed oddities...
1 Were the stuck ships all explorers? There was a condition that seemed to cause explorers to get stuck exploring the same star forever. That was fixed in 1.69. If they weren't explorers then I don't know what it could be. I haven't observed that.
2 I haven't experienced any refueling oddities. I'll keep my eyes out for it though. One of the shiplist display options I added was "Low Fuel Ships" so at least you can use that to keep an eye on them.

(in reply to sotthata)
Post #: 586
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/12/2018 11:18:22 PM   
sotthata

Ugh. I had a nice post written up but I had a link in it... and the forum wouldn't let me post it and I lost it. Le sigh. I'll PM you.

Thanks for the response, too.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 587
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/18/2018 3:40:44 AM   
netie

Hi,

Finally, I can run BaconMod on my Surface pro 2 (Win10) today! :D
(At the moment, I only tested to launch and did not try actual playing.)

Everyone who have had this problem, please try reinstall the DWU after applying latest monthly update for Win10.

Before April (or May?: sorry I can't remember correctly) monthly update, BaconMod on my machine was doing nothing. But after the recent monthly update for Win10, the BaconMod's version info dialog started to appear (even the game did not start at that time).
And today, I find the BaconMod is updated and now I can get it running on my machine.

>RogerBacon
Thanks for your hard work. BaconMod looks greater!

(in reply to marathom)
Post #: 588
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/18/2018 3:59:56 AM   
DasTactic

It breathes!!! :) The latest version 1.69 opens after the big Windows 10 April update. Thanks for posting, netie. :) Really looking forward to trying this.

(in reply to netie)
Post #: 589
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/18/2018 12:46:55 PM   
RogerBacon

That's great to hear for all the Windows 10 users. Maybe somebody at Microsoft is a fan. :)

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 590
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/20/2018 9:39:01 PM   
sotthata

I've encountered a pretty reproducible bug. Bacon related? No idea. I'm running 1.69.

Whenever I try and have an explorer "Explore Sector" and it first chooses a black hole (as indicated by a dashed yellow line), a moment later the arrow will switch to A1 (0,0) and the explorer will warp to that position.

If I manually tell it to explore the black hole and then tell it to explore the sector, it behaves properly.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 591
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/22/2018 4:17:25 AM   
DasTactic

I've come across a couple of items that I'm not sure about.

First of all, Ctrl P to ransom back your spies seems to be set to accept the asked amount or lower. If lower it sets the balance to zero. If your money is in the negative it still sets it back to zero. An easy way to get out of bankruptcy.

Secondly, I'm having a lot of trouble controlling fighters - especially in fleets. I park a carrier fleet and then with the fleet selected press Alt 6 and then left click the target. But no fighters or bombers are launched. Eventually, a carrier from the fleet will go after the target and launch all its fighters and bombers like in vanilla DWU. Am I supposed to control the fighters carrier by carrier? Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Another thing with fighters is that I had to micro-manage the loadout of every individual carrier (select carrier, select fighter, delete fighter, ctlr-B, manage fighters, select bomber) which becomes painful. Is there a better way? By the way, my carriers had 2 bomber bays and one fighter bay and I was wanting 4 fighters and 8 bombers per carrier.

I should point out that the ships I am using as carriers currently are just destroyers with fighter and bomber bays, not actual carriers. Does the design need to be designated as a carrier for this to work as designed?

EDIT:
I tried a dedicated carrier and it still only built interceptors.

Also, a funny thing is happening where all of my caslon mining operations have all their mined caslon stocks reserved and ships that are sent for refueling can't get any. The cargo bays are full but all reserved so they don't mine any more.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 5/22/2018 8:20:28 AM >

(in reply to sotthata)
Post #: 592
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/22/2018 6:27:56 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

I've come across a couple of items that I'm not sure about.

First of all, Ctrl P to ransom back your spies seems to be set to accept the asked amount or lower. If lower it sets the balance to zero. If your money is in the negative it still sets it back to zero. An easy way to get out of bankruptcy.

Secondly, I'm having a lot of trouble controlling fighters - especially in fleets. I park a carrier fleet and then with the fleet selected press Alt 6 and then left click the target. But no fighters or bombers are launched. Eventually, a carrier from the fleet will go after the target and launch all its fighters and bombers like in vanilla DWU. Am I supposed to control the fighters carrier by carrier? Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Another thing with fighters is that I had to micro-manage the loadout of every individual carrier (select carrier, select fighter, delete fighter, ctlr-B, manage fighters, select bomber) which becomes painful. Is there a better way? By the way, my carriers had 2 bomber bays and one fighter bay and I was wanting 4 fighters and 8 bombers per carrier.

I should point out that the ships I am using as carriers currently are just destroyers with fighter and bomber bays, not actual carriers. Does the design need to be designated as a carrier for this to work as designed?

EDIT:
I tried a dedicated carrier and it still only built interceptors.

Also, a funny thing is happening where all of my caslon mining operations have all their mined caslon stocks reserved and ships that are sent for refueling can't get any. The cargo bays are full but all reserved so they don't mine any more.

Hi Das. Thanks for the feedback.

You have, indeed, found a bug in the ransom routine. I'll fix it for the next release.

For the fighter and carrier management, you are using it wrong. It would be nice if it worked the way you are trying to use it but that wasn't possible. So here's the procedure. Select your intended target and press Alt-4. Then every carrier or fightrer you assign to an attack mission will go after that target when you press Alt-5 or Alt-6. If you select another target with Alt-4 that's OK. It won't change existing fighter orders. The commands work with any ship with fighters and bombers, not just carriers.

I'm not sure why you have to micromanage building fighters and bombers. Bomber bays should only build bombers and fighter bays should only build fighters. The only issue I can think of that might cause this to fail is if you are using a mod that allows you to research just fighters or just bombers. Then the game might try to fill up the space with the only think it can research. That's just a theory though.

I'm not sure about your Caslon situation. Reserved resource means that it has been allocated either for refueling or for sale if its reserved to another empire. Are you playing with gravity wells? Maybe the ships its reserved the Caslon for are en route but just taking a long time to get there?

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 593
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/22/2018 11:33:47 PM   
DasTactic

quote:

You have, indeed, found a bug in the ransom routine. I'll fix it for the next release.

For the fighter and carrier management, you are using it wrong. It would be nice if it worked the way you are trying to use it but that wasn't possible. So here's the procedure. Select your intended target and press Alt-4. Then every carrier or fightrer you assign to an attack mission will go after that target when you press Alt-5 or Alt-6. If you select another target with Alt-4 that's OK. It won't change existing fighter orders. The commands work with any ship with fighters and bombers, not just carriers.

I'm not sure why you have to micromanage building fighters and bombers. Bomber bays should only build bombers and fighter bays should only build fighters. The only issue I can think of that might cause this to fail is if you are using a mod that allows you to research just fighters or just bombers. Then the game might try to fill up the space with the only think it can research. That's just a theory though.

I'm not sure about your Caslon situation. Reserved resource means that it has been allocated either for refueling or for sale if its reserved to another empire. Are you playing with gravity wells? Maybe the ships its reserved the Caslon for are en route but just taking a long time to get there?

Re: Fighters and Bombers
Ahh. OK. I can see where I went wrong and following these instructions the attack commands work a treat. I got confused because the note for Alt-4 mentioned 'Fighters' while Alt-5 and Alt-6 mentioned bombers. :) So that works well.

Also, I checked my mod settings and in the RetreatUE research.txt file the initial Fighter tech releases the two bays and the initial Interceptor and Torpedo bomber, but the next tech along also releases the same Interceptors and Torpedo Bombers. Until the actual Interceptors and Bombers are researched it won't build any. In my game, I by-passed Torpedo Bombers and instead researched Missile Bombers and so I think the build queue for fighters and bombers stalls at that point and only gets the Interceptors. I think I'll mod in some rudimentary Interceptors and Torpedo Bombers to be released when the bays are researched. So that also would indicate the Bacon Mod is working as designed. :)

Re: Caslon Reserves
This is a weird one but I think you are right about the ships reserving the resources in advance and then taking a long time to get there because of the gravity wells. I can't think of a good way around this. I love what the gravity wells bring to the game so I don't want to turn these off. One suggestion may be to allow ships without weapons to halve the gravity well effect if that could be added easily to the Bacon Mod. That way the freighters, passenger ships, constructors, explorers etc would have a bit freer movement and speed up the movement of resources. In the meantime though I think the best solutions would be to mod in greater cargo space capacity so I might try that.

Anyhow, really enjoying what the bacon Mod brings. Well done Roger. :)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 594
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/23/2018 12:24:15 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

One suggestion may be to allow ships without weapons to halve the gravity well effect if that could be added easily to the Bacon Mod.... In the meantime though I think the best solutions would be to mod in greater cargo space capacity so I might try that.

Anyhow, really enjoying what the bacon Mod brings. Well done Roger. :)

Glad you are enjoying the mod. Believe me, NOTHING is easy about the gravity wells. It was, by far, the hardest thing to get working in the mod. The effect is the worst at the beginning of the game when your construction size is small and your sublight engines are weak. It gets better later on, especially if you don't constantly build to max allowable size. By mid-point in the game you hardly notice gravity wells unless your planet is like the innermost one in a system.

That being said, there are some ideas I'm tossing around that might mitigate things a bit. As always, no promises.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 595
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/23/2018 2:56:29 AM   
DasTactic

Sounds good.

I've been fiddling about a little trying to get the correct loadout in the fighter / bomber bays but it isn't working with the mod I have. The only thing I can see is that perhaps the category number in the research.txt area is a little different or that it relies on the component number some-how. I tested it in the Bacon World theme and it works correctly there.

EDIT: I found the issue. It needs the bomber bay component named exactly as 'Standard Bomber Bay' and 'Advanced Bomber Bay'. In the mod I'm using all the components are renamed with the category name in front. Unfortunately, if you have a modded faction with special bays and ships such as the Caleph from the Extended mod it will only build fighters by default.

@Roger: What would be the code impact of string matching the tail instead of the whole string looking for just 'Bomber Bay' and applying the bombers to those components? It would mean that other mods would work better with the Bacon Mod even though modded factions like the Caleph would need another component added such as 'All Dimension Bomber Bay' with the special bombers linked from that.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 5/23/2018 7:16:30 AM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 596
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/23/2018 1:19:21 PM   
RogerBacon

Hi Das. That's strange. The only requirement for building bombers over fighters is that the component CONTAIN the name "Bomber". Its case-sensitive but it shouldn't matter where it is in the name. "Bacon's Badass Bomber bay" should work as well as anything else with "Bomber" in the name.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 597
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/23/2018 5:14:42 PM   
DasTactic

quote:

Hi Das. That's strange. The only requirement for building bombers over fighters is that the component CONTAIN the name "Bomber". Its case-sensitive but it shouldn't matter where it is in the name. "Bacon's Badass Bomber bay" should work as well as anything else with "Bomber" in the name.

After a little more testing the problem is that the mod I'm adapting uses a classification system in its naming convention and anything carrier related has the prefix 'Fighters - ' so the bomber bay in the mod would be 'Fighters - Standard Bomber Bay'. I assume the program also looks for the word 'Fighter' to designate that it is a fighter design. By changing this to 'Hanger - ' it works as it should. :)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 598
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/23/2018 5:41:57 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

quote:

After a little more testing the problem is that the mod I'm adapting uses a classification system in its naming convention and anything carrier related has the prefix 'Fighters - ' so the bomber bay in the mod would be 'Fighters - Standard Bomber Bay'. I assume the program also looks for the word 'Fighter' to designate that it is a fighter design. By changing this to 'Hanger - ' it works as it should. :)

Glad to hear its working. Yes, it also checks for "Fighter" and it makes that check first.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 599
RE: Bacon Mod - 5/25/2018 1:02:48 AM   
RogerBacon

Coming in the next version... (See if you can spot it).

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI