Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bacon Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/19/2020 8:19:15 PM   
Arturo28

Hello,

I have tried CTRL-F because I can¡t see any planet in a system. I also see if I click the systems all resources, but aproaching I can't see any planet. My explorer vessel seems there is nothing left to explore in system.
Don't know if a problem with CTRL-F or in showing system. When I use CTRL-F is like pressing F only, it moves around my fleets.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 961
RE: Bacon Mod - 4/20/2020 9:34:28 AM   
Arturo28

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arturo28

Hello,

I have tried CTRL-F because I can¡t see any planet in a system. I also see if I click the systems all resources, but aproaching I can't see any planet. My explorer vessel seems there is nothing left to explore in system.
Don't know if a problem with CTRL-F or in showing system. When I use CTRL-F is like pressing F only, it moves around my fleets.

Forget about it. Is is a system with no planets but with asteroids...

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 962
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 4/22/2020 9:52:07 AM   
logopatico

Impressive job!

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 963
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/14/2020 8:48:12 PM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.78 Released
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh5ve7qz2yz17de/BaconMod1.78.zip?dl=0

Hello all. Back on in January of 2019 (16 months ago as of this writing) I released the current version of the Bacon Mod 1.77. After that I took a break and have been playing some other fine games (too many to list). The relevant one was Interstellar Space: Genesis. It’s a fine 4x space game and an improvement upon the standard setting MOO2 but after playing a few games it felt... small. MOO2 only have around 30 or so stars as I recall. ISG can have a lot more but still far fewer than DWU even on its smallest setting. So, long story short, I started playing DWU again. And for me, playing means modding.

Nothing makes the universe seem big like setting everything on automatic and just controlling one ship. So, I made my free trader medium freighter and went about trying to make a profit by trading. In the current version it's pretty hard to make a profit as a free trader (or even harder as a mining ship). So ,to make it easier, I’ve introduced some color coding when prices are particularly above or below the prevailing market price.

Gold: way above market price

Silver: above market price

No color: within a decent range of the market price.

Green: below market price

Red: way below market price

Note also the “Give” button has been added.

Another aid to help you is the new !price [commodity name] command. It allows you to find the prices for a particular commodity at the nearest systems from your ship.

Even if you make a profit... then what? Declare personal victory and retire? It felt kind of empty. I thought of all those space games I’ve played where you fly around mining and trading and doing missions to make money. In those games the main thing you spend your money on is ship upgrades. THAT was what was missing from my free trader experience: ship upgrades. Oh yeah, also blasting pirates for fun and profit. So, now when you attack and destroy ships (pirates or whatever) you have a chance to capture some of their components. Only you have those components you can pay a shipyard at an independent world to install them on your ship.

Here are the before and after shots of my freighter after duct-taping on some extra engines. Note the speed difference.

Also, to help you find your free trader, I’ve added a few items to the ship filter menu.

For free miners, the implicit cost of mining has been reduced from prevailing market price to 0.8 times prevailing market price. This assumes a decent profit is built in to the market price. You will see fewer negative returns on your mining now.

Here are the new tags in the BaconSettings.txt file that concern free traders

addSalesTax=false
quartersOfCashAvailable=4
newIDCost=10000
baseShipOfficerCost=5000
componentEquipCost=1000

Invasions

I’ve always thought invasions were kind of boring. It’s highly deterministic based on whoever has more troops. Adding more randomness to it wouldn’t really make it better though. I wanted some sort of user input. Enter the invasion mini-game.

When invading a planet (or defending) and there are more than 5 troops invading you can select the planet and use the alt- ctrl – right click menu to enter a mini-game where you try to determin the enemy commander’s tactics. If you win your troops will get a bonus. If you lose the battle the opposite is true. The way it wors is as follow: There ar a series of rounds. You enter the suspected strategy for each section of the enemy army. If you guess the correct tactic for that section you get a gold star. If you guess the correct tactic that another section is using you get a silver star. You win by guessing all for sections correctly. If you have any generals present you can get one piece of advice from each one however any general consulted in this way will not be available for the actual battle. It is generally better to keep one general for his effect on the battle. Generals are used in order from lowest skilled to highest skilled so you best general will always be the last one left for the actual battle.

Note attacking strength.

New strength after determining enemy tactics.

New Commands:

!science [all] turns all exploration ships into science ships. Do this at the beginning of the game if you want science ships but didn’t edit all the ship template files. The all parameter does it for all empires.

Other changes:

Alt-M: select a planet ant hit alt-M and the closest available state mining ship without a mission will be ordered to mine that planet. Be sure to use the nodump command if you need to deliver those resources to a specific port.

scientific data now stored at capital planet. Only a small working set in on a science ship. No more worry about losing a ton of data if a science ship dies.

BaconSettings.txt

// This is the fraction of private cost for ship construction that is paid to the state. In Vanilla it all turns into state money so set it to 1.0 if you don't want to see any change. Lowering will put the difference into Infrastructure at the planet the private ship is built at.

privateBuildCostToStateMoney=0.0

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 5/14/2020 10:07:31 PM >

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

(in reply to logopatico)
Post #: 964
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/14/2020 9:05:19 PM   
rjord2021

Hi Roger

As soon as I get back from work I will download this new update.
Looks like you have put in a fair bit of work here.

Thanks for that..... am very interested to have a look at the invasion mini-game.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 5/14/2020 9:08:21 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 965
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/16/2020 7:52:59 AM   
Arturo28

Hi Roger,

An astonishing work. Thank you.

I would like to ask you about "Crew Experience", that I think is a fantastic addition to the game.
It is some way to see the bonus or bonuses assigned to the ships? I can see the experience: green, average, etc.. but not rhe list of bonus the ships keep.

Thanks a lot
Arturo

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 966
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/16/2020 2:37:11 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Hi Roger,

I would like to ask you about "Crew Experience", that I think is a fantastic addition to the game.
It is some way to see the bonus or bonuses assigned to the ships? I can see the experience: green, average, etc.. but not rhe list of bonus the ships keep.

Thanks a lot
Arturo

Hi and thanks for the kind words.
The only way to see the effects of crew experience is to compare ships of the same design. There are five areas where a ship can get a bonus
1 +10& cruise and top speed
2 +10% weapon range and weapon speed
3 ecm, eccm, energy consumption and fuel capacity
4 weapon damage
5 shield capacity and recharge rate.

Interestingly, if you are unhappy with the bonus your ship received you can change it by changing the ship name. I didn't want to store any extra information about crew experience on the ships since there are so many ships in this game and, being a 32-bit game, it already runs out of memory if you play long enough. So, I seeded the random number generator with the name of the ship. When the ship calculates its stats it then modifies them for crew experience based on that seed. Hence no need to store anything and increase the game's memory footprint.

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 967
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/16/2020 7:38:41 PM   
Clux

Hi! I really like your mod but I wanted to merge it with DW EU, however, every time than I do it, the game crashes when you open the design tab.

I think than it would be cuz both mods have incompatible txt files (components, research and fighters) and I tried to merge them by putting the txt lines from one to the other, but still doesn't work. Anyone has made it work or knows a workaround? cuz I really like the changes from the Bacon mod and I really like the diversity than EU brings.

Also, I tried to only put the new races on the bacon mod (without replacing the bacon files to avoid any issues) but I still get the error message when I open the design tab.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 968
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/16/2020 7:42:10 PM   
Clux

Nevermind, I made it work again by adding at the end the Bacon mod, so far Its working fine.

(in reply to Clux)
Post #: 969
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/17/2020 4:45:34 PM   
Arturo28

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

Hi Roger,

Thanks a lot
Arturo

Hi and thanks for the kind words.
The only way to see the effects of crew experience is to compare ships of the same design. There are five areas where a ship can get a bonus
1 +10& cruise and top speed
2 +10% weapon range and weapon speed
3 ecm, eccm, energy consumption and fuel capacity
4 weapon damage
5 shield capacity and recharge rate.

Interestingly, if you are unhappy with the bonus your ship received you can change it by changing the ship name. I didn't want to store any extra information about crew experience on the ships since there are so many ships in this game and, being a 32-bit game, it already runs out of memory if you play long enough. So, I seeded the random number generator with the name of the ship. When the ship calculates its stats it then modifies them for crew experience based on that seed. Hence no need to store anything and increase the game's memory footprint.

Hi Roger,

I understand your point for memory usage

Thank you

< Message edited by Arturo28 -- 5/17/2020 4:51:16 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 970
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/17/2020 6:03:09 PM   
Arturo28

Hi

I am ambushing enemies with one ship, that now have verteran crew , and reviewing ship stats, I see things are not clear for me or are wrong.
I have Advanced torpedos - Epsilon Torpedos with stats
DAMAGE 18
RANGE 500
ENERGY USE 30
SPEED 86
DAMAGE LOSS 3 PER 100 DISTANCE

In my Veteran Light Cruiser this mounted weapon has
DAMAGE 13 (Max Damage 13, Min Damage -5)
RANGE 605
ENERGY USE 30
SPEED 103

I don't have any captain on my ship, but I earned them with 2 of them in my ship. These stats are taking out the captains out of my ship.

I am playind Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome mod

Any clue about this behavior?

Thanks in advance
Arturo

< Message edited by Arturo28 -- 5/17/2020 6:07:56 PM >

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 971
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/17/2020 10:25:32 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Hi

I am ambushing enemies with one ship, that now have verteran crew , and reviewing ship stats, I see things are not clear for me or are wrong.
DAMAGE 18
RANGE 500
ENERGY USE 30
SPEED 86

RANGE 605
ENERGY USE 30
SPEED 103

I don't have any captain on my ship, but I earned them with 2 of them in my ship. These stats are taking out the captains out of my ship.

Thanks in advance
Arturo

It looks like your crew skill is giving you a +20% bonus to weapon range and speed. The damage readout is incorrect because it doesn't take into account the new extended range. Don't worry though; it's doing the correct damage. In my components.txt file for that mod it shows Epsilon torpedoes doing 13 damage.

By the way, are you using the newest version of the mod 1.78? I'm just curious how its working for everyone.

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 972
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/18/2020 11:34:32 AM   
Arturo28

quote:

quote:

Hi

DAMAGE 18
RANGE 500
ENERGY USE 30
SPEED 86

RANGE 605
ENERGY USE 30
SPEED 103

Thanks in advance
Arturo

It looks like your crew skill is giving you a +20% bonus to weapon range and speed. The damage readout is incorrect because it doesn't take into account the new extended range. Don't worry though; it's doing the correct damage. In my components.txt file for that mod it shows Epsilon torpedoes doing 13 damage.

By the way, are you using the newest version of the mod 1.78? I'm just curious how its working for everyone.

Thank you for your answer and explanation Roger.
About version, now 1.77, not yet beginning to use 1.78.

I will do it it soon.
Arturo

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 973
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/19/2020 8:39:37 AM   
Arturo28

Hi Roger,

One more question, and sorry if I am bothering you.

The point here, in my case, is that additionally to see I have these bonuses, also to see it reflected in interface would be a point.
In the case of the weapons, where I can see the increment in range clearly, to know fire damage is exciting.
I am also talking about ship captains too, if they give damage or range increments or decrements, I guess this info will be stored somewhere with the modification...

Don't know if what I say is a nonsense.
Thanks in advance
Arturo

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 974
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/19/2020 5:49:57 PM   
Arturo28

Hi,

I am trying to load version 1.78

and I receive message attached

If I run version 1.77 from same directory, it works.

Arturo

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 975
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/20/2020 8:30:44 AM   
Arturo28

quote:

Hi,

I am trying to load version 1.78

and I receive message attached

If I run version 1.77 from same directory, it works.

Arturo

It works now :-)

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 976
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/23/2020 2:45:05 PM   
ParadoxSong

Hey Roger, I've got an int overflow error, but I posted a Steam thread about it and can't link it but it's named "How to get the Private Sector Spending Money?" on the steam page. Error Screenshot is Comment #3. Sorry for the runaround with this.

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 977
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/24/2020 12:44:13 AM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.79 Released
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndo3fh8xk0z64w5/BaconMod1.79.zip?dl=0

Essentially bug fixes. including the one posted in teh post right above this one.

(in reply to ParadoxSong)
Post #: 978
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/26/2020 12:02:22 AM   
BIGtrouble77

Wonderful work Roger, but I'm still experiencing crashes. The game just exists, I don't get any other messages. I was not having any issues before the initial upgrade. I'm going to try a vanilla Bacon Mod game and see how it works.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 979
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/26/2020 1:15:14 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BIGtrouble77

Wonderful work Roger, but I'm still experiencing crashes. The game just exists, I don't get any other messages. I was not having any issues before the initial upgrade. I'm going to try a vanilla Bacon Mod game and see how it works.

Was version 1.77 working for you? That was the one from like 14 months ago? I tried a few things during that interval but failed to get them working so I removed them. Some of them took newer versions of dot net so that might be the problem.
Try updating your dot net framework runtime to a newer version. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

(in reply to BIGtrouble77)
Post #: 980
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/30/2020 2:47:37 PM   
BIGtrouble77

quote:

quote:

Was version 1.77 working for you? That was the one from like 14 months ago? I tried a few things during that interval but failed to get them working so I removed them. Some of them took newer versions of dot net so that might be the problem.
Try updating your dot net framework runtime to a newer version. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

Sorry for the delay, I'm installing the new dot net and will play a new game this weekend. 1.77 version worked perfectly for me, never had an issue and played multiple games. I'll report back any issues.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 981
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/30/2020 4:17:24 PM   
BIGtrouble77

I installed the ndp48-web.exe update and just confirmed that I'm still getting the crash to desktop.

Post #: 982
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/30/2020 8:29:58 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

I installed the ndp48-web.exe update and just confirmed that I'm still getting the crash to desktop.

Keep in mind that sometimes you need to restart your computer to finish the install of some software. This is the case with the .net framework as well even though it does not tell you all the time it needs a reboot of the system.

I have had issues with other software in the past which crashed until I did a reboot.

Is Distant Worlds Universe crashing before you get into the actual game?
If so go to Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe
and delete the file defaultOptions which will rebuild the file when you restart Distant Worlds Universe.

Post #: 983
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/31/2020 9:01:34 AM   
Blueinstinct

Hi Roger, first of all: your mod is incredible! its the reason why i paly DW these days!

Now i have a specific question about carriers: as they spawn, they are automatically filling all the hangers with fighters, but no bombers.
I have missile bombers researched. Any way to make them build bombers?

best regards.
Blue Instinct

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 984
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/31/2020 12:03:05 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Hmm. That sucks. There is no message at all? The program just exits? Both non-modded DWU and Bacon Mod 1.77 still work for you? If all that is the case I really don't know what the cause could be.
No one else has posted similar issues but it could be that no one else has updated past 1.77. It had been so long since I updated I guess most people stopped reading this thread.

Post #: 985
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/31/2020 12:05:37 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueinstinct

Hi Roger, first of all: your mod is incredible! its the reason why i paly DW these days!

Now i have a specific question about carriers: as they spawn, they are automatically filling all the hangers with fighters, but no bombers.
I have missile bombers researched. Any way to make them build bombers?

best regards.
Blue Instinct

You need the BomberBay component to build bombers. The FighterBay component only builds fighters. Make sure you added the various BomberBays to your components.txt file and you should be able to add them to a ship design.

Are you playing the old version 1.77 or the latest 1.79?

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 5/31/2020 12:06:09 PM >

(in reply to Blueinstinct)
Post #: 986
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 5/31/2020 12:57:39 PM   
Blueinstinct

[/quote]

You need the BomberBay component to build bombers. The FighterBay component only builds fighters. Make sure you added the various BomberBays to your components.txt file and you should be able to add them to a ship design.

Are you playing the old version 1.77 or the latest 1.79?
[/quote]

Hi, thank you very much for the quick answer! no iam not at the lates version, iam using the retreat UE together with your mod, last time i upgraded was a couple of months ago. I didnt upgrade to the latest, bacause i didnt want to risk breaking the savegame. Everything is running very nicely and i am enjoying the features of bacon mod i have, i didnt feel like i need more atm.

If the latest version is adding bnomber bays i will try it.
So far in my game, there are only fighter bays available, even though iam pretty sure the AI is using bombers.

What will i need to do in order to add bomber bay components?

tnx alot!

edit.: ok after thinking about what you said, i tried to add the bomber bay componets to the components.txt of Retreat UE mod and it seems to work, even though replaced the most advanced fighter bay in the mod with the bomber bay.
I need to find out which number in the line of the components is reponsible for tech, and which is he uniqe ID.

tnx for the tipp and for the hard work !!

< Message edited by Blueinstinct -- 5/31/2020 7:44:42 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 987
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/1/2020 3:56:41 PM   
SparkleyTits

Loving it! Thanks for your continued work

(in reply to Blueinstinct)
Post #: 988
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/3/2020 1:59:50 PM   
glorm

Can't get this mod to work, things I have tried to get this mod to work.
1. Installed directX 9c
2. installed XNA Framework 4.0
3. Installing the game and the mod with my Antivirus turned off.
4. Changed play movie from 1 to 0 in the configuration.
5. Was on windows insider preview build of windows, so I reinstalled windows entirely and it still wouldn't work.

I launch the game in administrator, the first popup happens, the second never does. Game sometimes appears to be running in background with CPU Utilization climbing eventually getting up to 60% usage before I force close. I have a I9-9900K.

< Message edited by glorm -- 6/3/2020 2:02:28 PM >

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 989
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 6/4/2020 12:04:26 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: glorm

Can't get this mod to work, things I have tried to get this mod to work.
1. Installed directX 9c
2. installed XNA Framework 4.0
3. Installing the game and the mod with my Antivirus turned off.
4. Changed play movie from 1 to 0 in the configuration.
5. Was on windows insider preview build of windows, so I reinstalled windows entirely and it still wouldn't work.

I launch the game in administrator, the first popup happens, the second never does. Game sometimes appears to be running in background with CPU Utilization climbing eventually getting up to 60% usage before I force close. I have a I9-9900K.

Sometimes the second popup ends up behind the splash screen. Check in your toolbar and make sure that's not the case.
Which version of the mod are you trying to get to work? If the latest, have older versions worked for you?

(in reply to glorm)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI