Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 7/13/2017 11:20:29 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

More pictures:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a27270/uss-fitzgerald-damage-photos/

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 91
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 7/13/2017 12:47:22 PM   
Lecivius

"Finally and perhaps most ominously, investigators have concluded the Fitzgerald's hull was twisted in the collision. "

Not good. Not good at all...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 92
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 7/13/2017 2:06:31 PM   
Denniss

Sounds like requiring a major rebuild or it gets scrapped/sunk as target

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 93
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/18/2017 2:35:49 PM   
Lecivius

As expected

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uss-fitzgerald-captain-will-be-relieved-of-duty/ar-AAqgpgr?OCID=ansmsnnews11

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 94
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/18/2017 4:10:40 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

As expected

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uss-fitzgerald-captain-will-be-relieved-of-duty/ar-AAqgpgr?OCID=ansmsnnews11

No matter the circumstances a captain is responsible for everything that happens on his ship. That is they unwritten law of the sea and has been so forever. I only wish that rule was applied to leaders in industry and government as well.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 95
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/18/2017 5:12:46 PM   
Spikeosx

An interesting quote from http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/politics/uss-fitzgerald-leadership-removed/index.html

"The Fitzgerald's commanding officer, Cdr. Bryce Benson, and the executive officer, Cdr. Sean Babbiit, were both sleeping, and the master chief petty officer, Brice Baldwin, were not on the bridge at the time of the collision, according to the Navy."

I gotta say, I thought our warships were run with at least a high ranking officer in the loop of what is going on.

< Message edited by Spikeosx -- 8/18/2017 5:13:06 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 96
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/18/2017 6:32:50 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spikeosx

An interesting quote from http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/politics/uss-fitzgerald-leadership-removed/index.html

"The Fitzgerald's commanding officer, Cdr. Bryce Benson, and the executive officer, Cdr. Sean Babbiit, were both sleeping, and the master chief petty officer, Brice Baldwin, were not on the bridge at the time of the collision, according to the Navy."

I gotta say, I thought our warships were run with at least a high ranking officer in the loop of what is going on.

The CO is always in the loop. The OOD is driving, with support from the CIC. There are Standing Night Orders on every USN vessel. They specify when the CO is to be called, with no exceptions. A CPA (closest-point-of-approach) is always specified. In every case I was OOD it was in tens of thousands of yards. This ship was in a very crowded lane, so the CPA might have been less. If it had been my ship, I would have been on the bridge, or the XO, or the Nav, or a CDO to back up the OOD and JOOD. The initial report I heard about last night (I have read nothing yet) indicated there was either a lack of training, lack of attention to procedures, or both.

There is a concept in the Navy called the Triangle of Leadership. I was taught it at OCS before I was commissioned. The triangle is Authority, Responsibility, Accountability. Many people conflate the last two, but they are different. Responsibility and Authority can be delegated; Accountability never can be. The CO was not responsible for the collision. Most likely the OOD was. But the CO is accountable for it. And thus he shall hang.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/18/2017 6:34:38 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Spikeosx)
Post #: 97
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/18/2017 9:28:38 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spikeosx

The CO is always in the loop. The OOD is driving, with support from the CIC. There are Standing Night Orders on every USN vessel. They specify when the CO is to be called, with no exceptions. A CPA (closest-point-of-approach) is always specified. In every case I was OOD it was in tens of thousands of yards. This ship was in a very crowded lane, so the CPA might have been less. If it had been my ship, I would have been on the bridge, or the XO, or the Nav, or a CDO to back up the OOD and JOOD. The initial report I heard about last night (I have read nothing yet) indicated there was either a lack of training, lack of attention to procedures, or both.

There is a concept in the Navy called the Triangle of Leadership. I was taught it at OCS before I was commissioned. The triangle is Authority, Responsibility, Accountability. Many people conflate the last two, but they are different. Responsibility and Authority can be delegated; Accountability never can be. The CO was not responsible for the collision. Most likely the OOD was. But the CO is accountable for it. And thus he shall hang.

Well explained. Thanks. My career was on merchant vessels which are different. At sea at night there are generally only two men on the bridge, the watch officer and the helmsman. But the captain was almost always present when the ship was sailing with a pilot or in restricted waters. The experience of the officer on watch mattered when in non-restricted waters. For example, off the coast of Ecuador it was not unusual to run across a fleet of 100 or more small fishing boats fishing at night, and they could cover a very large area and not maneuver much with nets out. An old timer mate would handle the situation and either haul out to go around or take her through. The captain would be left to sleep. A young novice third mate such as me was not allowed that option. It was expected that I would call the captain-no matter what. But like the Moose said, the captain always took the hit if something went bad.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 98
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/19/2017 10:54:36 PM   
JeffroK

Bullwinkle,
Thanks for the ToL explanation.

I'll use it to rip a new one to our Production Manager who sits and blames everyone else except the guy being paid the bug bucks, HIM.

I have often found Military adages or procedures to be of use in Business, pity OH&S rules stop us from using a firing squad.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 99
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/20/2017 7:05:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Bullwinkle,
Thanks for the ToL explanation.

I'll use it to rip a new one to our Production Manager who sits and blames everyone else except the guy being paid the bug bucks, HIM.

I have often found Military adages or procedures to be of use in Business, pity OH&S rules stop us from using a firing squad.

When I left the military and entered Fortune 500 management I looked for a recognition of the TofL. I found that in the civilian world Responsibility and Accountability are used interchangeably. They are not the same thing, but corporations think they are. Corporations have no problem frying the lower-level guy for a screw-up, while upper-management skates. If the screw-up is bad enough upper management does not skate, but parachutes out uber-rich with nary a look back. And frequently with no repercussions on getting the next big job.

When the TofL was presented, a lot of the focus was on the hardest part of it. That is the delegation of Authority sufficient to execute the Responsibility also delegated. This is a HUGE problem in corporations. Managers want results, but they fear letting go of their veto. Or budget. Or hiring/firing duty. Or any of it. In the military a lot of the success of leadership comes with an institutional focus on letting the subordinate run with a solution against a defined end-state and giving him the needed resources. And yeah, it's very difficult for a CO, who has Accountability and will hang, to let go and allow his people to do their jobs. If I was a captain of a warship I'd NEVER want to go to sleep.

The other, unspoken part of the TofL is also often misunderstood in the corporate world. I was taught this by a Second Class Boatswain's Mate at OCS and I tried to never forget it in any job I had:

"LEAD people; MANAGE things."

The Moose

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 100
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/20/2017 8:34:04 PM   
JeffroK

And yeah, it's very difficult for a CO, who has Accountability and will hang, to let go and allow his people to do their jobs. If I was a captain of a warship I'd NEVER want to go to sleep.

I was like that and bailed out before I blew up, 15 years later I find I'm getting towards a similar position, parachute ready this time.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 101
RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vess... - 8/21/2017 7:27:10 PM   
wdolson

Now the USS John McCain has collided with a merchant ship. It's the 4th incident with a ship based at Yosuka this year. One ran aground, one hit a fishing boat, and two have collided with merchant ships. It's odd.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 102
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI