Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 8/14/2017 10:29:24 PM   
Niedowidek_slith

I know that the sequence to make an air drop of combat units is described in updated manual and I also found some threads explaining it. Unfortunately when following these instructions I was unable to make an airdrop so I figured out the valid sequence on my own and I post it here for others who may struggle with the issue.

The sequence that works for me in Beta 1.10.00:
1. Make sure that the button "Toggle Shift Key On" in Mode Toolbar is in off position (i.e. it is _not_ pressed).
2. Choose "Move mode (F1)" - contrary to what is written in the manual it is essential to choose it before selecting "Air transport mode (F9)" or nothing will happen.
3. Select a hex containing an airborne unit and an airfield. You don't have to select specific unit yet (if there are more than one in the hex).
3a. Scratch behind your left ear three times.
4. Choose Air transport mode (F9). Game will not react for a moment but then it will hang for a while (I suppose it makes some calculations e.g. finding bases with air group units capable of participating in the air transport mission).
5. After above mentioned calculations are finished the hex and the units (the ones that you have in step 3) will become unselected .
6. Click the button "Toggle Shift Key On" in Mode Toolbar. I had to use the button because shift + left-click mentioned in the manual doesn't have a desired effect.
6a. Say "Klaatu barada nikto" aloud. It is NECESSARY to do this BEFORE next step. Consequences of omitting this step are unpredictable.
7. Select the hex with airborne unit and an airfield again. Parachute icon should appear over the hex.
8. In the unit bar unselect all units except the one you wish to airdrop (if you leave airfield selected it will work too).
9. Left click on the hex where you want to make an airdrop. "Pick Air Units for Mission" window should appear and the hexes valid for operation will lit up (they will be visible under the opened window). You can set up your operation now.
10. Unfortunately when you close "Pick Air Units for Mission" window hexes valid for air drop won't stay lit up. I didn't find the way to resolve this.

Maybe the problem is partly connected with a configuration of my computer (as shift + left-click doesn't work correctly and I have to use a button from mode bar) but I hope that above instructions will help someone.
Post #: 1
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 8/16/2017 8:48:51 PM   
Telemecus

Excellent post!

You are not alone in difficulties of getting para drops to work, so it would not be a problem of just your computers configuration.

(in reply to Niedowidek_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 12/11/2017 9:32:58 AM   
guctony

quote:

ORIGINAL: Niedowidek

I know that the sequence to make an air drop of combat units is described in updated manual and I also found some threads explaining it. Unfortunately when following these instructions I was unable to make an airdrop so I figured out the valid sequence on my own and I post it here for others who may struggle with the issue.

The sequence that works for me in Beta 1.10.00:
1. Make sure that the button "Toggle Shift Key On" in Mode Toolbar is in off position (i.e. it is _not_ pressed).
2. Choose "Move mode (F1)" - contrary to what is written in the manual it is essential to choose it before selecting "Air transport mode (F9)" or nothing will happen.
3. Select a hex containing an airborne unit and an airfield. You don't have to select specific unit yet (if there are more than one in the hex).
3a. Scratch behind your left ear three times.
4. Choose Air transport mode (F9). Game will not react for a moment but then it will hang for a while (I suppose it makes some calculations e.g. finding bases with air group units capable of participating in the air transport mission).
5. After above mentioned calculations are finished the hex and the units (the ones that you have in step 3) will become unselected .
6. Click the button "Toggle Shift Key On" in Mode Toolbar. I had to use the button because shift + left-click mentioned in the manual doesn't have a desired effect.
6a. Say "Klaatu barada nikto" aloud. It is NECESSARY to do this BEFORE next step. Consequences of omitting this step are unpredictable.
7. Select the hex with airborne unit and an airfield again. Parachute icon should appear over the hex.
8. In the unit bar unselect all units except the one you wish to airdrop (if you leave airfield selected it will work too).
9. Left click on the hex where you want to make an airdrop. "Pick Air Units for Mission" window should appear and the hexes valid for operation will lit up (they will be visible under the opened window). You can set up your operation now.
10. Unfortunately when you close "Pick Air Units for Mission" window hexes valid for air drop won't stay lit up. I didn't find the way to resolve this.

Maybe the problem is partly connected with a configuration of my computer (as shift + left-click doesn't work correctly and I have to use a button from mode bar) but I hope that above instructions will help someone.

Thanks for great tutorial.

But I have some more question as you look like an expert on Paradrop

1) I kinda succeed para dropping Airborne Brigades. But it only wants to drop to friendly hexes. What is the trick to convince them dropping them to enemy territory.
2)Is it possible to transfer regular infantry units from one air base to another.
3)I think eligible Level bomber are included in paradrop so we are not limited to transfer planes for para-drop.
4) is there no way to trasfer airbase with air transfer. ( it could be great to send it to enveloped areas to maximize supply drops.

"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal

Post #: 3
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 12/11/2017 1:29:31 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: guctony
4) is there no way to trasfer airbase with air transfer. ( it could be great to send it to enveloped areas to maximize supply drops.

I "think" this was the concept behind the 22nd airlanding division. At least in the game so far I have never seen this as possible. Although the way support units can magically teleport across great distances is quite similar. Does your point on maximising supply drops relate to airhead supply?

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 12/17/2017 5:00:50 PM >

(in reply to guctony)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 12/11/2017 2:30:41 PM   
thedoctorking

I think you missed the invocation of the Dark Gods and the Unnamed One.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 12/16/2017 9:26:27 AM   
Niedowidek_slith

Guctony,

Ad 1) Unfortunately I haven't made many paradrops. I had to discover the way to do it because I played Russian Grand Campaign for the first time but I only did about two paradrops. All of them failed miserably because most of the transports didn't reach the target. Only few hundreds paratroopers landed which is much less than left the airfield... I'm sorry to dissapoint you but I'm not an expert yet. Nevertheless these were drops to enemy territory so it is possible with the procedure described by me in the first post.
I remember that there is limitation to drop no farther than 8 hexes from friendly supplied unit. Also, your unit needs to have experience higher than 45, I think.

Ad 2) I'm sure it is! Never done it, though.

Ad 3) I suppose you may be right but I think that in 1941 only Li-2 are capable of transporting paratroopers. Maybe it changes later. I don't know yet because I play my grand campaign almost in real time (one turn a week on average).

Ad 4) I think it's not possible but may be it should be implemented in the game that a player can create ad hoc airfield with minimal infrastructure. You know, some improvised landing site for all those brave transport plane pilots.

(in reply to guctony)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 12/17/2017 5:01:09 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus
quote:

ORIGINAL: guctony

I "think" this was the concept behind the 22nd airlanding division. At least in the game so far I have never seen this as possible. Although the way support units can magically teleport across great distances is quite similar. Does your point on maximising supply drops relate to airhead supply?

I stand corrected I did use to do this many many versions ago. So it is possible. Problems with it are that the unit arrives without its heavy equipment - so will be impaired. And it has a very great transport cost. That said security divisions can be transported for the same transport cost as a combat regiment. So when I started playing the game I use to move up an airbase with my panzers, air transport a security division to the farthest place my panzers got to and use its ZOC to flip control of hexes the next turn. How historical this is is another question.

Post #: 7
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 11/29/2018 4:53:21 AM   
Bokonon

Thanks for the information. Any good scenarios to just try this out in before actually using on the big campaign? I would like to know what I am doing before actually dropping in meaningful situation.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 8
RE: Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta - 11/29/2018 7:09:21 AM   
Chris21wen

Please note that some of the info here is not up-to-date. In the latest release v1.11.03 para dropping is much easier and straight forward. See sections 5.3.9.3 and 16.3.7 of the New Manual.

< Message edited by Chris21wen -- 11/29/2018 7:10:26 AM >

(in reply to Bokonon)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Air Drop Airborne Combat Units in 1.10.00 Beta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI