Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:48:45 PM   
Bif1961

Well given your conditions, I hope your landings are a miserable failure and you will have to stick around for a while longer. That is rather self serving on my part as I have enjoyed your AARs over the years.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 2/6/2019 3:14:21 PM >

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3631
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 3:20:49 PM   
Canoerebel

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 3632
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 3:22:23 PM   
Canoerebel

The failure in communicating clearly was my point, not turn frequency.

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

As for the game, Erik has slowed down considerably.

A month ago (Jan. 8) he asked me to send turns more quickly, as he had more time and wanted to accelerate the pace. I complied...only to have him reduce turn frequency by about half. So I asked him a few weeks later if he really wanted the turns more quickly. "Yup." Then he slowed down even more.

You know, right, that you two can run a two days turn (or more). It's a different game though, more challenging and have to think and plan more in advance. Very challenging and fun!

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 3633
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 5:14:31 PM   
Canoerebel

4/29/45 to 5/1/45

TNNBT: The armada is making its way west in good shape. I've detached some "expendable" TFs that seem to be slowing things down. Today, Francis torp bombers from Chichi Jima nabbed about six of the lagging supply xAKs. Tomorrow most of the laggers are going to move forward at flank speed, in an effort to get the buggers closer to DS.

From my perspective, tomorrow should be the last fairly quiet day before things get very interesting. Of course, Erik can put a stop to "quiet" at any time by committing his own navy and air forces. I don't think he will yet, though I wouldn't be suprised to see little DD, E, PB type forays.

Overall, things look very good. Recon paints a good picture. DS and The Herd are in good shape. Fuel shouldn't be an issue.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3634
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 10:14:40 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
If anyone is interested I can give my highest recommendation to a book from the last couple of years called "American War". It is an entirely plausible work of fiction about the next American Civil war. Climate change is the background but it really tells the story of the people involved in a civil war. Sides are roughly the same as last time. A ripping good read that actually gave me a better understanding on how hte poeple of hte south may have felt about the first American Civil War.

Climate change, eh? That's what got me sideways last weekend. Tough topic. But I'll take your recommendation...unless the book is really just meant to convey a message. Who was it that said "leave the messages to Western Union."? Was the Goldwyn?

John, I'm nearly finished with a book I feel sure you've read already - One Year by Bill Bryson. I think this may be his best book. Real history presented perfectly - every sentence crafted perfectly. That guy can write! (The book is about 1927, covering everything from the Yankees to Lindberg to Clar Bow to weather to politics to Sacco and Vanzetti).

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3635
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 12:53:12 AM   
T Rav

CR,

One of my favorite history classes I took was called Fin du Cycle (End of the Cycle). It covered a wide range of art, music, politics and social change in Europe. It was set during the period just before and just before and just after the turn of the century, but before the lead-up to WWI.

Wide-ranging on many obscure topics, but taken together, it was a great class. Sounds like your 'One Year' by Bill Bryson.

Ciao,
T Rav

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3636
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 7:07:50 AM   
CaptBeefheart

CR: I just came off a long Lunar New Year break (they don't call it Chinese New Year here). My mother-in-law cooked up a pretty big feast and I knocked back a bit of booze with my father-in-law and other male in-laws while the women managed the kids and did their thing.

Anyway, once a free moment opened up at work today I did what I always do: I went to your AAR and caught up with several days of activity (I'm like a lagging supply TF). Know that your AARs are very appreciated, but I'd certainly understand if you'd like to take a hiatus. As someone above said, it's not like we paid for this.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 3637
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 8:32:08 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

One Year
I can only find a book called "One Summer" I presume this is it. no, I have not read it. But I will take the recommendation. As for American War, climate change is just the background to tell a story. It really has nothing to do with that nor does it take a stand. It is about people, mostly small, are effected by wars and politics and how events might drive their motivations. There are some parallels to Americas wars abroad and how they might effect, and motivate small people. As an old Yankee it would be interesting to see an old Southerners opinion of the same material. I expect you may be saddened but not disappointed.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3638
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 12:59:23 PM   
Canoerebel

That's it - One Summer.

I'll give American War a try.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3639
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 2:17:51 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

4/29/45 to 5/1/45

TNNBT: The armada is making its way west in good shape.

Overall, things look very good. Recon paints a good picture. DS and The Herd are in good shape. Fuel shouldn't be an issue.

Switching to Solar?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3640
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 3:26:51 PM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn
quote:

4/29/45 to 5/1/45

TNNBT: The armada is making its way west in good shape.

Switching to Solar?

Or opening the "row holes".

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3641
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/7/2019 4:26:06 PM   
RangerJoe

Nope, probably natural gas. Why do you think that they call the small, white bean the "Navy" bean!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 3642
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 2:42:18 AM   
Canoerebel

5/2/45

TNNBT: The armada moves west today, mostly in good order. Judys from Iwo sink a few lagging ships, which looks ragged but doesn't mean anything other than the reality of the points.

If things go right tomorrow, Allied paratroops aboard two APDs will land at (apparently) unoccupied Kume Jima. The day after, a Marine division, engineers and base forces shall come ashore. This base is intended to serve surveillance purposes. Most importantly, when secure I can switch the home port of all TFs from Kushiro to this local base, reducing the AI's concerns about fuel levels.

The day after tomorrow, a similar landing will take place at (apparently) unoccupied Iriomote, near Formosa. It will take a couple of days for me to land follow up troops at the two islands, which in turn should allow the lagging ships to finally catch up.

In about three days, the armada will proceed to one or both of the primary destinations (these two islands were the two secondary targets).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3643
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 3:03:03 AM   
Canoerebel

5/2/45

SEAC: Major Allied invasion to take place at Georgetown tomorrow. There's great risk here - KB could be lurking, and massed LBA could arrive - but I think it's worth it. I'm interested in seeing how he allocates his forces.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3644
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 2:11:10 PM   
Canoerebel

5/2/45

The turn is away. It could be a bloody one. Assuming that handling the turn and the next one might take Erik quite awhile, I asked him to send the Combat Report, as soon as he ran the turn. No word from him yet.

As I wait with great and nervous expectations, a few things:

Death Star CAP: Here's the look that Erik got at Death Star CAP. It's very strong, but I can definitely envisions hundreds of aircraft attacking, a certain percentage getting through to wreak havoc, especially on CVEs. I can also envision Erik sending in waves of small fry that might scatter my TFs, exposing them to attack away from DS cover. It is likely that enemy alpha strikes will inflict losses but suffer terrible losses. I'm prepared for that, but of course my thoughts veer towards worst case scenarios, disasters, etc.

This game bears no relation to the real war, of course. Erik has thousands of good fighters. Most of them are posted in the Home Islands, protecting industry. They are third- (fourth?) generation models with superb pilots. His fighter corps in much strong than mine. And he just shifted 400 elite fighters from Bangkok to the Home Islands (I think). Paired with them are probably thousands of bombers and kamikazes, also piloted mostly by elite pilots. He hasn't launched any big raids in months, nor suffered any meaningful losses. His strike forces are in fast, high-quality aircraft. It's a scary thing.

Add to that his immense network of big airfields and it's a daunting thing.

The only way I could think of to counter the threat was to configure the Allied armada in this fashion, protected by every carrier available. The Death Star is unusual, but so are the waters in which it sails.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3645
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 2:25:45 PM   
Canoerebel

5/2/45

Protecting the Armada: When I got a case of the yips last night, I calmed myself by clicking through the combat TFs embedded in the armada. Their quality and quantity are no guarantees against a smart, determined, a still-powerful foe, but they do provide a measure of reassurance.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3646
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 2:49:31 PM   
jwolf

It looks like the unpredictable pace of the armada sometimes keeps you guessing, as well as Erik.

Are there any big airfields that you can hit with a bombardment fleet and maybe that way soften his strikes pre-emptively?

FWIW I definitely support the op going through at Georgetown as it is important to put heavy pressure against the enemy at multiple points. IMHO it would even be worth a semi-debacle there if it lightened the opposition at TNNBT.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3647
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 2:55:13 PM   
Canoerebel

I can bombard, and will if necessary. But it's a tricky thing. The bombardment TF (at this time) has no base to retire to, so would either have to remain on station or pull back to some AI-determined hex. In either case, CAP would be an issue.

I'm not too worried about massed raids from Formosa and the Ryukus. DS should, I think, be able to handle things on that scale. It's when DS is near interlocking level 9 airfields that I get the willies.

I agree re: the Georgetown op.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3648
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 6:01:14 PM   
Canoerebel

It's a pretty busy day here at work, but the computer is in front of me. I keep refreshing, hoping to find the turn (or the Combat Report) in my in-box. Thus far, utter silence from Erik. Darn it, man, send the Combat Report!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3649
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 6:27:45 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

It's a pretty busy day here at work, but the computer is in front of me. I keep refreshing, hoping to find the turn (or the Combat Report) in my in-box. Thus far, utter silence from Erik. Darn it, man, send the Combat Report!

Psy-Ops

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3650
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 7:21:05 PM   
jwolf

That's not at all out of the question.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3651
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 7:28:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Erik did the same thing during the incredibly prolonged Siege of Shikuka. Turn-around for turns slowed to a crawl. I think most of the reason was that he fine tunes every setting to the n-th degree - using waypoints and tolerances and commander aggression and everything. And he probably considers the psy-ops angles too.

But I can't figure out why he ignored my request for the Combat Report. That's not like him.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3652
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 8:40:43 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

I can bombard, and will if necessary. But it's a tricky thing. The bombardment TF (at this time) has no base to retire to, so would either have to remain on station or pull back to some AI-determined hex. In either case, CAP would be an issue.

I'm not too worried about massed raids from Formosa and the Ryukus. DS should, I think, be able to handle things on that scale. It's when DS is near interlocking level 9 airfields that I get the willies.

I agree re: the Georgetown op.

My Ironman game is in August '45. During the period you are in my bombardments were set for Remain on Station with the DS one or at most two hexes away providing CAP. After the bombardment the TF returns to the DS hex to re-arm from the AE Replenishment TF sitting with the DS.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3653
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 8:52:33 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Erik did the same thing during the incredibly prolonged Siege of Shikuka. Turn-around for turns slowed to a crawl. I think most of the reason was that he fine tunes every setting to the n-th degree - using waypoints and tolerances and commander aggression and everything. And he probably considers the psy-ops angles too.

But I can't figure out why he ignored my request for the Combat Report. That's not like him.

War is hell.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3654
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/8/2019 10:12:07 PM   
MakeeLearn

Here is a book recommendation:
One Of Jackson's Foot Cavalry

A detailed and sometime humorous account of the Civil War from the the experience of an infantryman. His description of how a cannonball would pass through a column of men is that of someone who witnessed such horror yet can still spit in it's eye.

Great accounts of fireside banter and after the war encounters with those who did not fight.

quote:

Sgt.Worsham's memoir is that of the Eternal Squaddie: by turns hilarious, brutal and sad, with firsthand notes on historical personages, period attitudes and just how a soldier gets soggy.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/8/2019 10:14:57 PM >

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3655
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/9/2019 2:08:05 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

As you know, Eric has two other games going, one of which had been "stalled" for a while. It recently got moving again and there is a lot of exciting stuff happening that is probably absorbing his attention. He might not have even run the turn for your game yet. I am resisting looking into his AAR to find out because I want to keep OpSec.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3656
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/9/2019 9:33:43 AM   
Canoerebel

Krieg Interruptus at the moment of climax is awfully tough on the faithful partner.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3657
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/9/2019 6:23:13 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

As you know, Eric has two other games going, one of which had been "stalled" for a while. It recently got moving again and there is a lot of exciting stuff happening that is probably absorbing his attention. He might not have even run the turn for your game yet. I am resisting looking into his AAR to find out because I want to keep OpSec.

I can only state that there's BIG activity and interest now in Obvert's AAR...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3658
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/9/2019 7:04:23 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I can only state that there's BIG activity and interest now in Obvert's AAR...

So there you go - he is being buried under a flood of advice and doesn't have time to do a turn!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 3659
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/9/2019 8:37:13 PM   
T Rav

Do what you do best; wait fooooorrrr it... Crush 'em.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3660
Page:   <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  120 121 [122] 123 124   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI