Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:23:56 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
If these were simple veterans movements you would see a similar number of monuments honoring the Army of the Potomac going up in the same time frame all across the North.

There is a giant golden statue of General Sherman on horse in the Grand Army Plaza on Central Park South in New York City. I personally have no problem with him and believe he is a laudable man who understood the necessity of war and the actions needed to end it while also personally abhorring it. That said, many of his actions can be seen as contentious in the modern world and yet there he is. No one is protesting his statue; instead, every year we get a ton of people demanding that we take Columbus' statue down in Columbus Circle or throwing red paint on the evil imperialist Theodore Roosevelt's statue outside the Natural History Museum. Reality is stranger than fiction.

Furthermore, having lived and spent a long amount of time in the New England area, I have come across my fair amount of Grand Army of the Republic monuments.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4081
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:29:46 PM   
Lecivius

Guys, with all due respect to the opinions here (and there are good ones), this might be construed as getting political. I would hate this to get locked.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 4082
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:31:53 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

There is a giant golden statue of General Sherman on horse in the Grand Army Plaza on Central Park South in New York City

Your darn right there is. He helped win a war against people the revolted against their country. He should have statues erected for him. He was a General for the Untied States of America. He has statues erected for him in The United States of America. He helped win a war for The Untied States of America. Against enemies of The United States of America.

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 4/12/2019 7:35:31 PM >

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4083
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:34:19 PM   
Canoerebel

John's comments are rife with error, conflating all kinds of things and mixing up fact and error.

Stone Mountain was private property owned by an individual who became involved in the Ku Klux Klan. He was not a Confederate veteran. Nor was the Klan some simple group devoted to white supremacy in the South (Indiana had the largest KKK membership in the 1920s). The KKK was an incredibly complex history. The first iteration, after the war, was mainly focused on law enforcement friendly to southerners at a time when all offices were staffed through federal efforts. Since most of the members were Confederate veterans or their sons, they of course had antiquated notions about blacks that we do not agree with. But the primary purpose was not racial. A second iteration came about in the 1920s. It was largely rooted to the promotion of "white protestant Americanism." It was a weird conglomeration of people driven by many interests. The leaders were primarily interested in making money. The membership was against anything not white and protestant and against many immoralities, including drinking and fornication. (A prominent, philandering white man in east Georgia was castrated by the Klan for his infidelities.) As noted, membership in Indiana and many other northern states exceeded that of the South. This group was a weird, volatile, often unkind brotherhood but usually not focused on white supremacy beyond maintaining the regrettable status quo in which blacks were treated as second-class citizens. That Klan died in the 1920s, buried by scandal. The third iteration began in the '40s and continues today, in small, scattered numbers. This group does include a fair number of the remnant "white supremacists," which are actually a tiny percentage of the population (thank goodness).

Stone Mountain hasn't had an annual cross burning, at least on the public property, since I've been in Georgia. Cross burnings in Georgia are essentially non-existent and have been for the 40 years I've lived here. I'm a white southerner living in a conservative rural area. The South I know bears little relation to the exaggerations painted by those who don't live here but who get inflamed by the inaccuracies of the press and notions of superiority.

There is essentially zero % of the population interested in white supremacy or other whacko agendas. I know there must be a few out there, because CNN likes to find them and play it up for rapt television audiences that don't have a clue.

Basically all Confederate monuments in Georgia were erected from the 1890s to the 1920s. I don't know where John gets his "1950s and 1960s" notion from. That's simply not even close to being truth. But it makes for a nice allegation - what better way to discredit monuments that to tie them to the anti-segregation sentiment that erupted in the 1950s. Yes, the changes to the Georgia flag were for that reason. For that reason, in 1998 I spoke up publicly to support the change of the Georgia flag to pre-1956, making a lot of my neighbors very angry. (The Sons of Confederate Veterans, either intentionally or coincidentally, won't ask me to speak because of my views.) The monuments really were installed to honor veterans - not as some weird political statement.

But I can understand why black Georgians are offended by the monuments, although (as another Forumite posted above) there are reasons that isn't absolutely necessary. So I can understand the removal of the monuments or other vestiges of the Confederacy so that we don't give offense. I take my position here from the counsel in the Book of Romans that we should avoid be stumbling blocks to others, unnecessarily giving offense. Like Sam Watkins wrote in Company Aytch, it's time to furl the flag (and other mementos) never again to be unfurled. We live in a different society and it's okay and gracious to yield here, even though we regret tearing down things that honored those who served.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4084
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:37:58 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Guys, with all due respect to the opinions here (and there are good ones), this might be construed as getting political. I would hate this to get locked.

standing down

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4085
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:39:10 PM   
Canoerebel

Lecivius, I hear what you're saying and appreciate your sentiment.

This is an interesting topic and one worth discussion among friends able to maintain mutual respect and civility. But it's certain to veer into the really offensive, either soon or perhaps already. People with stronger views less willing to be gracious will begin adding their thoughts and the wheels will come off.

I'll try to avoid commenting any further. You good gents try the same, if you can. It's hard though because this is meaningful stuff.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4086
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 7:42:43 PM   
Anachro

This is meaningful stuff and enriches us all by meaningful discussion as long as people don't resort to vitriol. I don't think any here have done so. As for Sherman, John, I agree with you on your assessment of him, but nonetheless some, particularly in the south, might find it offensive considering his actions at Atlanta, etc. Nonetheless, I remember his most famous quote, which I nonetheless find applicable to many wars (perhaps even to the Pacific War in regard to the nuclear bombings).

quote:

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

quote:

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices today than any of you to secure peace.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 4/12/2019 7:43:55 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4087
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 8:06:51 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

This is meaningful stuff and enriches us all by meaningful discussion as long as people don't resort to vitriol. I don't think any here have done so. As for Sherman, John, I agree with you on your assessment of him, but nonetheless some, particularly in the south, might find it offensive considering his actions at Atlanta, etc. Nonetheless, I remember his most famous quote, which I nonetheless find applicable to many wars (perhaps even to the Pacific War in regard to the nuclear bombings).

quote:

War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it; the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

quote:

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices today than any of you to secure peace.

Having recently re-listened to (half of) the Hardcore History on WW1, he's not the only one who ever espoused these views. Pretty sure the von Moltkes were proponents of "as bloody as possible for it to be as quick as possible" being less-bad than long, drawn-out attrition. Among others. It's a pretty common theory of war.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4088
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 10:36:47 PM   
ushakov

Hope this doesn't count as re-igniting politics, but given previous dispute over 'when did monuments go up', thought people might be interested in this chart from the last major study done on the topic.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4089
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 10:41:39 PM   
Anachro

If those are all southern monuments, etc. then they seem to coincide with a number of civil memorials that were built in the North during the same time period (early 1900's). The school names clearly seem to coincide with a resurgence of Jim Crow and civil rights activity in 50's and 60's.

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 4090
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/12/2019 11:04:21 PM   
ushakov

Yes, sorry, that's Confederate monuments only. One other thing I will say on the subject is that I do have a soft spot for the sculpture of Nathan Bedford Forrest in Nashville, although probably not for the reasons the sculptor intended:

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4091
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 12:07:22 AM   
Canoerebel

That's an interesting graphic. It's clear that the 1890s to 1920s dominated monument erection.

There seems to be a bit of a resurgence in the '50s and '60s, but I suspect that's something else entirely. I don't know of a single Confederate monument in Georgia on the grounds of any school. There may be a few but I think very few. I would suspect that the majority of these are the naming of schools after Confederate leaders, especially Robert E. Lee High School etc. If so, there's probably a correlation to de-segregation similar to the change in the flag that I referred to.

The graphic proves the point that the actual monuments were overwhelmingly erected during the era when the aging veterans were dying. That was done in tribute rather than as some kind of political statement.

(in reply to ushakov)
Post #: 4092
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 12:29:07 PM   
JohnDillworth

pretty close correlation to monuments built, Jim Crows laws enacted and this humble activity....Hell of a coincidence there. If the veterans were dying who was enacting all those laws and doing all that lynching? The truth is out there if you want to look for it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JohnDillworth -- 4/13/2019 12:31:00 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4093
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 12:33:37 PM   
Canoerebel

Many things happened in that era, but that doesn't mean there was a correlation between each event and an honoring of veterans. The actions of the 1950s (flags, naming schools) most definitely correlated with Brown vs. Board of Education and similar events. The monuments had basically no relation to political events. It's really weird that people think so and take issue with those monuments as a political statement THEN. Its a different matter to discuss their appropriateness NOW - that's a discussion we can have. But the honoring of veterans in 1910 or 1920 via monuments was the honoring of veterans not a political statement and the motivation behind their erection is not part of the problem.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/13/2019 12:36:22 PM >

Post #: 4094
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 1:07:49 PM   
mind_messing

The actual physical location is one aspect well worth addressing.

The focus on courthouse grounds sends a terrible message - that figures associated with a secessionist (ignoring the legalities of said secession), pro-slave state are memorialized at the community focal point of justice and order.

Ditto for schools, except in the realm of education.

That's absolutely something that should be changed.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4095
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 1:49:03 PM   
BBfanboy

One of the constants is tribalism seems to be that the group has to build up its heroes and denigrate other groups to make themselves feel superior. We learn this on the schoolyard when we mock the kid who is less able and flock around the popular ones. I had to counsel one of my adopted grandsons that calling other people down does not make you greater - only actual achievement does that. We should all re-read Kipling's If once in a while ...
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46473/if---

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4096
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 1:50:10 PM   
Bif1961

I was stationed in Germany for 5 years in the early 1990s and they do have military bases, named for some WWII leaders, including one for Rommel at Augustdorf. At Andersonville, GA there is a monument to the Commander of the PoW camp there Major Wirz. Major Wirz was executed by the North after the war for war crimes. It was erected in 1906, so would not fall into the 1950s-60s rush to put up Civil War monuments as was seen around the south. The monument is on Church Street, in town and not at the National PoW site at the former Civil War PoW camp. So the question remains when is it proper for the current citizens of a city, town, village, county, state or country to remove monuments placed in public by those who came before them? Now some elected officials, like the Mayor of Baltimore violated state law when they had them remove din the dark of night, and I think most people who agree that shouldn't happen. The Mayor's response was that there was no need for the public to decide as he was elected by them at it was her position and responsibility to act in their best interest, while actually violating state law. The removed statues have not been returned to control of any association or organization and are being held, almost hostage by the city of Baltimore.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4097
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 1:50:30 PM   
Canoerebel

It wasn't like that at all when the monuments were erected. Gradually, but especially over the past twenty years, things have changed or are changing so that there's a much different feel. For most white southerners, the monuments have always been about honoring those who served their state. But for most black southerners they're relics of a cause that supported an evil institution. So I say we discuss making changes, and I have no problem with making those changes. The passionate left and the passionate right tend to demonize their opponents, though, and this is an example of that happening.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4098
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 1:52:19 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

I was stationed in Germany for 5 years in the early 1990s and they do have military bases, named for some WWII leaders, including one for Rommel at Augustdorf. At Andersonville, GA there is a monument to the Commander of the PoW camp there Major Wirz. Major Wirz was executed by the North after the war for war crimes. It was erected in 1906, so would not fall into the 1950s-60s rush to put up Civil War monuments as was seen around the south. The monument is on Church Street, in town and not at the National PoW site at the former Civil War PoW camp. So the question remains when is it proper for the current citizens of a city, town, village, county, state or country to remove monuments placed in public by those who came before them? Now some elected officials, like the Mayor of Baltimore violated state law when they had them remove din the dark of night, and I think most people who agree that shouldn't happen. The Mayor's response was that there was no need for the public to decide as he was elected by them at it was her position and responsibility to act in their best interest, while actually violating state law. The removed statues have not been returned to control of any association or organization and are being held, almost hostage by the city of Baltimore.

Nearly all scholarship today, even in the North, recognizes that the trial of Wirz was a farce. There was basically no evidence that he did anything cruel or unlawful to his prisoners. The best evidence is that he did all that he could for them. I thought Wirz had blood on his hands until I researched the story around 2010-11. Andersonville was a tragedy but Wirz was no demon.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 4099
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 2:14:18 PM   
Anachro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

pretty close correlation to monuments built, Jim Crows laws enacted and this humble activity....Hell of a coincidence there. If the veterans were dying who was enacting all those laws and doing all that lynching? The truth is out there if you want to look for it.

Besides the whole correlation does not equal causation adage, the problem with your statement here in my mind is that the trend of monuments going up happens well before Plessy, as in a decade or more. Indeed, the number of monuments is trending down before and immediately after Plessy. Adding to that, there still is the fact that many Northern monuments honoring Union soldiers and the army were also built in the same period 1880-1930.

I doubt that Plessy had much to do with this and I'd agree with CR that the much more likely scenario would be simply the honoring the dead and veterans of a memorable, important war strongly in the historical consciousness of the people. The last GAR member died in 1956, so I'd guess many more died between 1900-1930.

Wiki Link of Grand Army of the Republic Monuments

< Message edited by Anachro -- 4/13/2019 2:16:27 PM >

Post #: 4100
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 2:18:48 PM   
Anachro

I will note one interesting thing. Many of the GAR monuments were erected by the GAR organization (one of the first veterans' organizations) and can be considered non-public, private things. Although, GAR was dissolved with the death of its last member in '56, I wonder who pays for them now.

It would be interesting to know the sheer number of monuments in the south versus the north.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 4/13/2019 2:47:56 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4101
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 3:04:06 PM   
Canoerebel

I'll post the story I wrote about Wirz and Andersonville. IF the pages are too large, I'll resize once I get them all posted. I love the richness of the history here and that fact that it surprises by contradicting what most of us thought was factual.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4102
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 3:04:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 2

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/13/2019 3:05:00 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4103
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 3:05:23 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 3

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4104
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 3:06:15 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 4

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4105
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 3:06:49 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 5

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4106
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 3:07:14 PM   
Canoerebel

Page 6 (of 6)

Attachment (2)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4107
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 4:06:22 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

It would be interesting to know the sheer number of monuments in the south versus the north.
. I'll have to wait until I can get in front of a real computer in tbe next few days but here is a good graphical start. Looks like Virginia and Northern Georgia are the big winners here. Probably much more so if you do the per-capita calculation. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2015/07/civil_war_historical_markers_a_map_of_confederate_monuments_and_union_ones.html

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 4108
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 4:08:56 PM   
Bif1961

I agree with you he was a scapegoat for all the ills and evils of the war actually on both sides. Being a Swiss-American also probably helped him be chosen for this sacrifice as well as his position as the Commander of the PoW camp. . Major Wirz, by all accounts did the best who could with the limited resources available and showed no malice and tried to carry out his work as best he could. Many guards also died while staitoned there from the same illnesses that killed the PoWs. I visited Andersonville last year and as a 24 year Army veteran, who worked for 10 years on POW/MIA issues, 6 of those as a civilian intelligence officer at DIA, the National POW/MIA Center was a place of great interest to me. I brought him up as one of the most unknown yet unusual Civil War monuments.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 4/13/2019 4:18:30 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4109
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/13/2019 4:13:17 PM   
Canoerebel

Is there something nefarious about the eruption of monuments in northwest Georgia in the early '60s? Was that an in-your-face-segregationaist attitude or coincident with the centennials of the Great Locomotive Chase and the Atlanta Campaign? I can take you to dozens of markers to both, showing nothing but troop movements and memorials to the men who served with zero suggestion of segregationist attitudes.

Post #: 4110
Page:   <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI