Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/20/2019 6:01:42 PM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

That was a terrible result in terms of points for your A-bomb attack. The two that Kane dropped against me netted him 12000 and 9500 points respectively....

With regards to the Russians, it will take time to get everything where you want it to be but once they get rolling they're impossible to stop. They will probably take all of Manchuria and Korea before the end of 45 in my game.

Hmmm - I wonder if pilot skill played a role in how accurate the bomb was or if it is all random die rolls. I think it was 1275 psi's game where he had (in his narrative) the A-bomb drop on the Emporer's safe house outside the city limits because the attack missed most of the industry. I forget whether fighters or weather were a factor in the miss.

To be honest I think its simply down to a dice roll and Dan got a bad one.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4291
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/20/2019 6:07:13 PM   
HansBolter

In response to BB's earlier question I didn't recall what the target choices were, but CR has confirmed they are the same for any strategic bombing mission.

I chose Manpower, like CR, because I wanted the maximum distribution of damage across all targets.

Obviously, in my 'throwback to the good ole days' rant above I overlooked the Victory Points gained by dropping the bomb, regardless of the dismal damage to facilities.

CRs damage result was a whopping 160 points of damage across four target types. Most B24 raids will do far more than that on an average basis.

Since, unlike me, CR has a real need for Victory Points, it will obviously be worth it to him to drop the two allowed without incurring a victory level penalty.

We can all hope that the second drop garners victory points more in line with what Mr. Kane received against Miller, rather than like CR and I experienced on our first drops.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4292
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/20/2019 6:32:43 PM   
mind_messing

Let's keep in mind here that you get one free A-bomb. It gives you a random damage roll (and thus random VP roll) but cannot be intercepted by the Japanese.

I'd also suggest keeping keen recon eyes on Tokyo over the next few turns to build an accurate picture of the damage caused.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4293
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/20/2019 7:16:10 PM   
HansBolter

What do you mean by "one free"?

Victory level penalties are not imposed until the third bomb is dropped, not the second.

Are you implying that the second drop doesn't get a free pass on interception?

Hans

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4294
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/20/2019 7:45:21 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I also had dismal results with my A-Bomb mission.

After complaining about it here I was informed as to how nerfed the A-Bomb truly is in the game.

Its a waste of time to use.

There shouldn't be any penalties for use beyond 2.

According to other experienced players it was explained to me that the A-Bomb doesn't automatically destroiy anything and is just a a normal bomb that does anywhere for 0-32k damage.

You got the 0 result. I got a 1.5k damage result.

In both cases it wasn't worth the effort!!!!

Did I mention that the obviously Japanese side loving developers decided to nerf the a-Bomb?

I can accept all of the a-historical beefing up of the Japanese side to make it a viable side to play in a game, but nerfing the a-bomb was a step too far in that direction.

That's why I'm conquering Honshu.

And making a dud count as one of your two allowed drops before incurring penalties is rubbing salt in the wound.

Rant compeleted:

Look the target over to see if any actual damage was done. If you had not previously damaged the target all new damage will be due to the a-bomb. That's how I was able to assess that mine did a paltry 1.5k damage to various targets within the city.

One other point about the nerfing of the A-bomb: shouldn't there be substantial fires after the drop?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4295
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/27/2019 3:40:34 AM   
Canoerebel

There were no reported fires at all.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4296
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/27/2019 3:44:34 AM   
Canoerebel

8/17/45

The Pacific War: The long-developing Allied plan is fully mature and now gathering momentum. The Empire is being carved up. Big Allied armies are moving south in Russia, north in China. Singers is under siege. And the Allies are prepared to move on Java soon and Formosa in a few weeks.

Erik retains powerful forces but hasn't employed them in any meaningful way in many months. I think he'll have to do so soon or see what little opportunities for success remain evaporate. There's a small chance that he looks at the score and thinks, "Why bother? We're in August and the Allies are 70k points from achieving a victory condition." But I don't think he'll go without a whimper. It's hard to imagine just sitting there absorbing punishment for about a year without trying anything. He's too game for that, I think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4297
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/29/2019 11:45:58 PM   
Canoerebel

8/19/45

Asia: Allied armies on the move without opposition, two via rail preparatory to moving inland from the Nanking area, the other seaborne to land at Chefoo. Shortly, DS will make a journey to Manila to retrieve an army. En route it will drop off a couple of divisions at Karenko. From then on, until the war ends, DS will likely handle air ops vs. the Home Islands and any further HI or Korea invasions that seem advisable. (A Mini DS will handle ops in the DEI.) It's also possible that I'll try to pocket remaining enemy shipping (the Empire is getting awful narrow, and I have eyes on most ports now) for destruction.

Erik is quietly shepherding his forces. He's been remarkably quiet the past month, and really the past six months. He'll have his Ardennes offensive at some point, I suppose.

As best I can tell, I cannot change ownership of the bases in Manchuria that the Russians have taken. Perhaps I'm overlooking something. I'll keep tinkering to see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4298
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/30/2019 1:32:38 AM   
HansBolter

To switch control you need a unit from the command you want to switch to in the hex. Only commands of units present are highlighted for selection.

Air lift some one to the base you want to flip.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/30/2019 1:33:23 AM >

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4299
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/30/2019 5:00:26 AM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Hans.

I thought that might be the case, but I also thought I tested it and found that it didn't work. The circumstances are really odd, though, so perhaps it doesn't apply: Months ago, I airlifted some Brit/Commonwealth units from Rawalpindi into the westernmost China base (the only one still in Chinese hands - Erik had long since forgotten about it). Those units slowly advanced, drawing no attention until the Russians activated and also began advancing. And then Madras Police Battalion took vacant Hami! (That has to be a first.) For whatever reason, the computer automatically assigned the base to China. I tried to pay PP to change it to a Western Nation, but the computer doesn't give me the option.

But who cares, for when Madras Police Battalion leads an offensive in China, all is right with the world.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4300
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/1/2019 2:35:56 PM   
jwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

But who cares, for when Madras Police Battalion leads an offensive in China, all is right with the world.

I'd like to see a ground combat between this unit and the Japanese Tax Police unit at Shanghai.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4301
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 4:12:10 AM   
Canoerebel

I'll post it if it happens. :)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 4302
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 4:23:38 AM   
Canoerebel

8/20/45 to 8/22/45

China: The Allies landed at Chefoo and took the base against minimal opposition. The force there is mainly to protect base-building until other armies (West or Russian) draw close enough to permit combined operations. Down south the Western armies are beginning to move north from the Nanking front.

Russia: The Russians have rails open all the way to the Yellow Sea, and much of the Russian army is strat moving to the dot hex on the sea, preparatory to moving into Korea on the west side. Erik's armies, which are strong, are concentrated to the NE of Korea. He hasn't opposed the Russian advance yet by ground or air forces.

Death Star: DS fighters have swept Nagasaki and a big enemy airfield in Manchuria, to modest effect. Tomorrow the sweeps are to take place at Osaka, which should be a bloody affair.

Singapore: A few Allied armored units engaged in a deliberate attack which showed an enemy supply malus and an adjusted enemy AV of only about 5k or 6k. On the other hand, the enemy units are recovering AV from daily bombing and bombardments, so no real weakness yet. Lots of big Allied combat engineer units inbound. Allied armor will engage in another limited deliberate attack tomorrow. Singers is basically isolated now, as Erik has withdraw from Palembang, his last real outpost in proximity. I think Singers will fall inside two months.

DEI: Allied paratroop detachments have taken a bunch of undefended bases in the middle of Java (cutting the railroad system, but Erik has no troops anyhow) and in western Borneo. Erik has a stout KB down near Kendari, preventing me from moving a big armada to help at Singers.

We're playing a funny game that is detrimental to both and beneficial to both. Erik is withdrawing troops from all over the DEI, PI, etc., so that the Allies seldom harvest Army Loss points, and he keeps a steady stream of reinforcements moving to Japan. So that dampens my ability to score points, temporarily. On the flip side, I've been able to conquer nearly all of Sumatra, half of Java, and part of Borneo with fragmentary detachments. Had Erik kept some regiments or even naval guard units in place, he could've held these places for months to come. So we're both basically marshalling forces in the Yellow Sea/Sea of Japan areas, where the end-game scenarios will play out. The allies lead 98k to 84k, so still roughly 70k from victory. Erik's successfully playing keep away but he also running out of places to hide.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4303
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 1:29:07 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

I'll post it if it happens. :)

Perhaps a dastardly spy could leak the unit's future objectives to the Japanese with a recommendation that they be met by an appropriate defense force? :-)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4304
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 2:51:32 PM   
Canoerebel

8/22/45

Hiroshima/Matsuyama: The air war is the key to winning the game (eventually). Erik is a tough customer and his fighter corps and flak are bears to deal with. Tomorrow the Allies are trying for combination punches against Matsuyama and Hiroshima using LBA fighters and bombers (vs. Matsuyama) and carrier fighters (vs. Hiroshima). While the strike vs. industry is important, the results of the sweep against Hiroshima will be the most telling thing about the potential for Allied ops against major Home Island bases.

I'm still 70k away from 2x victory points. Those points are likely to come from:
1. Bases: Singapore, Shanghai and Chungking have the most potential but some bases in China and Korea, Formosa, plus the DEI will help. Of these, Chungking is the most significant because it reduces the denominator significantly.

2. Ships: Erik has a massive amount of shipping. He's losing his safe havens in the DEI. The Marianas are still relatively safe for him. The Home Islands, beneath stout CAP, offer the final refuges. If and when the Allies crack the code on effective bombing, then this offers major points potential.

3. Army: Erik has carefully tended to his armies - withdrawing when threatened (and I often lend an assist as I don't yet wish to fight on terrain and terms that favor the defenders). He's running out of room here, too. His army in China is now basically cut off, though he can retreat into the mountains to insulate them from being destroyed. But he'll likely lose considerable points in China, Korea and Formosa.

4. Industry: The air war is a tough war but the Allies have to figure it out in order to harvest strategic bombing points at a somewhat efficient level. There are reasons for optimism but not yet for confidence.

5. Air War: This is basically a 1:1 affair and thus is a net hindrance from a points standpoint but a necessity as it's the only thing standing between the Allies and achieving numbers 1 to 4.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 4305
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 5:04:36 PM   
HansBolter

Couple of quick questions:

Are you finding yet that the P51H is reducing the strain on your fighter pools? I forget when they start arriving, but in mid December I have over 800 in the pool, after having converted many squadrons to this air frame.

Are you getting the B17Gs in sufficient numbers yet to start having an impact at the front? I have approximately 600+ of them deployed forward now with most based at Naha. I'm routinely getting coordinated sorties of 450+ against Kagoshima.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4306
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 5:28:20 PM   
Canoerebel

Production of both models begin in September, so I don't have them yet.

Given the current Allied positions, I should be able to make full uses of them for Strategic Bombing at efficient distances.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4307
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 5:59:27 PM   
HansBolter

Well I didn't realize I have been using those two air frames for only 3.5 months.

Their monthly rates are substantial and they should make a big difference for you.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4308
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 6:53:27 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Given the current Allied positions, I should be able to make full uses of them for Strategic Bombing at efficient distances.

quote:

The pool numbers and low service rating of the B-17 makes it a monster. Unless you shoot it down it gets patched up in a day or two. Relentless

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4309
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/3/2019 7:12:24 PM   
Canoerebel

For a long time I didn't think the Allies had a chance to achieve 2x until 1946. There seems to be a chance for a '45 finish. It hinges on the air war.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4310
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/4/2019 4:33:10 PM   
Canoerebel

8/23/43

Strategic Bombing: Even though weather hampered coordination between carrier and LBA air, today's strat bombing raid was effective - 1:1 score in the air and 600+ victory points. This is promising going forward.

Singapore: Limited attack by a handful of small armored units somehow succeeds in dropping forts from 6 to 5, shows the supply malus for the enemy, and indicates an enemy adjusted AV of about 6k, which is manageable if true. Lots of reinforcements inbound, including some Free French fighting forces, but big combat engineering units may be the most helpful. One will be onsite in about 10-12 days. Another three and four will reach Madras in a couple of days; there to board ship for delivery to Malacca. ETA at Singers probably 21-25 days. Next (second) general attack at Singers perhaps inside 10 days.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4311
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/5/2019 4:05:26 PM   
Canoerebel

8/24/45

Strategic Bombing: Building on the raids of the 23rd (fighters + bombers vs. Hiroshima industry, and carrier fighters vs. Osaka CAP), the Allies targeted Shimoneski industry on the 24th - massed B-29Bs during the night, and LBA fighters and a handful of bombers plus carrier fighters during the daylight hours. The nighttime raid faced modest CAP (less than 20 fighters) and scored dozens of hits setting nearly 300k fires. The daylight raids handled the CAP and scored some hits vs. Resources. Overall, this was well-planned and coordinated and synergistic with the raids the day before....but the Allies nonetheless lost nearly 40 B-29s. Most of these were nighttime B-29Bs that faced light opposition. This supports the point that nighttime bombing against some CAP and flak just isn't going to get the job done. Typically, when coordinated, the daytime raids simply do better, even though they may face 400 fighters on CAP rather than 20. The air war is tough. The day netted about 400 points, almost entirely due to bombing, but the Allies can't sustain raids in this game.

The P-47N continues to perform poorly in sweep roles, oddly enough. The P-51D and P-38L performs pretty well in escort roles especially when supplemented by Corsair sweeps. At the moment, the -51 and -38 pools are adequate, so carefully configured daytime raids that feature decent coordination are significantly more efficient than nighttime raids (though a big nighttime raid vs. a base like Tokyo, with huge industry, might be worth the cost if 300k fires are set at a cost in this neighborhood).

Tomorrow, the bombers and LBA fighters will stand down and the carrier fighters will sweep Nagasaki, which usually has about 300+ fighters.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4312
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/5/2019 6:18:32 PM   
Bearcat2

What are the fatigue levels of your P-47N's?

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4313
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/5/2019 6:42:44 PM   
Canoerebel

All the underlying numbers (fatigue, morale, experience, skill, defensive skill, commander) are excellent.

Erik hasn't flown an offensive air mission of any kind in months. No bombers. No sweeps. My guys fly only occasionally, so they aren't overworked and their fresh on the occasions I use them.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 4314
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/5/2019 9:17:33 PM   
HansBolter

You appear to be sweeping at drop tank range or at least extended non-drop-tank range so that might be affecting both performance and the afternoon arrival.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4315
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/5/2019 10:00:09 PM   
Canoerebel

Weather affects arrival time but I don't believe distances or drop tanks do.

I've never detected any affect on performance, but what do I know? The -47Ns (and other fighters) seem to do the same with or without them.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4316
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/10/2019 8:17:07 PM   
Canoerebel

8/28/45

The Allied plan is really gathering momentum now. The Russians have reached the Yellow Sea and are about to make a strong, concerted move towards western Korea. The Western Allies are moving into northern China, making for a rendezvous with "back door" Russian units. Singers may fall inside a month. And the invasion of Formosa is a couple of days away.

Erik really hasn't fought offensively in many months. He's diligent and crafty and will strike when the time is right. But I think the time and locations for him to do so the most effectively and efficiently have passed. I think the Allies can prevail in 1945 without invading the balance of the Home Islands and coming close to his nest of big airfields. But he can certainly weigh a punch in the China, HI, Formosa triangle.

Asia: The Russian army is massive and powerful. Using the rail system, a huge chunk is down on the Yellow Sea, ready to begin the campaign for Korea. The Western Allies are moving north from the Nanking area, hoping to link up with the Russians, neutralize enemy pockets, and then turn back south and west towards Sian and Chungking. I think the Allies can close on the latter in about three months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4317
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/10/2019 8:23:20 PM   
Canoerebel

8/28/45

Formosa & Luzon: Two Allied divisions + armor + combat engineers will land at Karenko, Formosa, in two or three days.

Once that is done, Part of the Herd will report to Manila to retrieve an Allied army (3600 AV) for use in China.

On August 3, Japan still held Manila. A lot has happened since then, very quickly and efficiently. In another month, I don't think Erik will have anything meaningful left outside the Home Islands, and I believe the air war will be going nonstop.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4318
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/10/2019 8:26:35 PM   
Canoerebel

8/28/45

Singapore: I think the base is ripe for reduction and fall. Massed Allied bombers have been hitting the base every day for more than a month. Supply is an issue for Erik's troops. AVs (as shown during bombardments) are beginning to drop and not recover fully. Forts dropped from 6 to 5 during the last probing attack by a handful of armor units. And hefty Allied reinforcements (ground troops and combat ships) have just arrived. The next general attack (set for two or three turns from now) will tell the tale. Forts should drop to 4 and that will signal the death spiral.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4319
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 7/10/2019 9:28:52 PM   
BBfanboy

Looks like it could be good to put a unit in the empty river hex between Anshan and Mukden to establish a bridgehead. Then your big army could cross without SA and threaten both those cities. Yeah, he could send units out from Mukden and Anshan to deal with the crossing unit but if there are follow-on troops showing movement to that hex and others showing movement directly toward Anshan and Mukden, what's he gonna do? Might be worth recon by bombing (or not) to see if that hex really is empty.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4320
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI