Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/7/2020 7:51:06 PM   
Canoerebel

Good to see you back, Ranger. Your absence was noted, though not to the point that I sent you a PM or otherwise raised an alarm. I'm really glad you're back.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4501
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/7/2020 8:09:07 PM   
RangerJoe

Thank you.

Just remember, if someone says "Dang, I missed you!" while holding a smoking firearm, run - very, very fast!

Joe

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4502
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/8/2020 1:16:44 AM   
CaptBeefheart

The world wonders "where is the P-80?" That's a great sweeper. If I remember correctly, you start getting them in November.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4503
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/8/2020 4:18:11 AM   
Canoerebel

I've only gotten 130 P-80 Shooting Stars so far. I'm saving them for the right moment.

I tried the P-82 Shooting Stars for the first time, this turn, sweeping Maebashi. They did poorly.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 4504
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/8/2020 11:46:33 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I've only gotten 130 P-80 Shooting Stars so far. I'm saving them for the right moment.

I tried the P-82 Shooting Stars for the first time, this turn, sweeping Maebashi. They did poorly.

Think you miss typed there. Aren't the P-82s Twin Mustangs?
I saw them as better fighter bombers than fighters. IIRC they carry two 1,000 lb bombs.

I found the P-80 to be unstoppable on sweeps. Nothing the Japanese could throw at it could compete.

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4505
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/9/2020 2:31:08 PM   
Canoerebel

In Pursuit of Victory*

*This assumes I actually know the victory conditions. I think I do but that kind of thinking usually gets me in trouble. I won't bother looking it up, however, because my strategy will remain the same no matter what the victory conditions might be.

I think the Allies score an AV if the lead goes to 2:1 by the end of February 1946. If I'm wrong about that, it's probably that the victory is Marginal if 2:1 is achieved by that date. Either of those is fine with me. As I mentioned a few posts above, I don't really care what victory level is reported, as I consider this match a draw. I'll shoot for 2:1 for the fun of it, but it doesn't matter substantively to my evaluation of the match.

It looks like the Allies led 141k to 90k at the end of November 1945. So a lead of 51, about 39k from AV. Five weeks later (1/6/46) the lead is 157k to 89k. That's 68k, roughly 21k from AV. So, in five weeks, the Allies have moved 18k closer to AV. By that measure, AV by the end of February is attainable.

That's a bit misleading, as the fall of Chungking represents a huge number of points, including denominator. And Strat bombing has probably been "easier" that it will be going forward, because most of the remaining points are heavily defended. On the other hand, there are a lot of remaining points to be harvested in China. I also think the Ryukus are vulnerable at fairly low risk (by that, I mean I doubt Erik can use overwhelming air power that far from the Home Islands, though he can commit his navy, which who knows what might happen). And I'll try to make some things happen in Korea and the Home Islands.

Scoring another 21k points in 7+ weeks is unlikely but not impossible. A key will be to limit Denominator points, so I'd better not get to close to the Home Islands unless I know what I'm doing.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4506
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/9/2020 3:04:24 PM   
Canoerebel

You're right - that was a typo. The P-82 is the Twin-Mustang, which does nothing in the sweep role.

As mentioned, I have 130 Shooting Stars in the pool, increasing by three per day.

Also, three dedicated Shooting Star squadrons arrived a while back. They're staging forward, currently at Kodiak Island. They'll go into use in about a week or ten days, I think.

Shooting Star range is a bit too limited (11, I think) to reach Tokyo from any of my bases. So I might have trouble getting them into play against major opposition. Hiroshima is the only base within range that Erik is heavily guarding, and I can't figure out why he's guarding it. Most of the industry has been destroyed and it's not all that big a base in comparison to some others.

quote:

quote:

Original: HansBolter
I saw them as better fighter bombers than fighters. IIRC they carry two 1,000 lb bombs.

I found the P-80 to be unstoppable on sweeps. Nothing the Japanese could throw at it could compete.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 1/9/2020 3:07:09 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4507
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/9/2020 9:24:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

You're right - that was a typo. The P-82 is the Twin-Mustang, which does nothing in the sweep role.

As mentioned, I have 130 Shooting Stars in the pool, increasing by three per day.

Also, three dedicated Shooting Star squadrons arrived a while back. They're staging forward, currently at Kodiak Island. They'll go into use in about a week or ten days, I think.

Shooting Star range is a bit too limited (11, I think) to reach Tokyo from any of my bases. So I might have trouble getting them into play against major opposition. Hiroshima is the only base within range that Erik is heavily guarding, and I can't figure out why he's guarding it. Most of the industry has been destroyed and it's not all that big a base in comparison to some others.

quote:

quote:

Original: HansBolter

Hiroshima could have a lot of ships under repair and upgrade.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 1/9/2020 9:28:27 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4508
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/10/2020 1:48:39 AM   
Canoerebel

I have Hiroshima and the other major ports under perpetual surveillance, which 100% of the time reports few if any ships, and all of those small.

Dave is hiding a fair bit of his fleets, especially merchantmen, at dot hexes or small bases. I don't go hunting everywhere, because i'm more likely to get into trouble than it's worth. I might take a stab at some places before the game ends, but I feel more secure working things I know are points efficient.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4509
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/10/2020 4:23:58 AM   
BillBrown

quote:

I have Hiroshima and the other major ports under perpetual surveillance, which 100% of the time reports few if any ships, and all of those small.

Dave is hiding a fair bit of his fleets, especially merchantmen, at dot hexes or small bases. I don't go hunting everywhere, because i'm more likely to get into trouble than it's worth. I might take a stab at some places before the game ends, but I feel more secure working things I know are points efficient.

I see the pitfall of having two active AARs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4510
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/10/2020 1:11:36 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

I see the pitfall of having two active AARs.

Either that or there is a multiple personality disorder somewhere.

Maybe someone should post a picture of a tree or three and we can have 6 pages of discussion freaking the opponent out . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4511
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/10/2020 4:18:03 PM   
Canoerebel

I've always been good at mixing up names, calling people by the wrong name. One of my outstanding achievements is that I've never called my wife of 32 years (and counting) the name of the girl I previously dated for three years.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4512
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/10/2020 4:30:24 PM   
traskott

survival instintc, I think they call it

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4513
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/10/2020 6:00:24 PM   
RangerJoe

+1

― Julia Child

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 4514
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/13/2020 4:11:31 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I hear you. Once in a while I mix up my wife's and three-year-old daughter's names, but I've never uttered an ex's name. That would be tough to recover from.

Looking forward to seeing those Shooting Stars in action.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4515
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/13/2020 4:23:01 AM   
BillBrown

quote:

I've always been good at mixing up names, calling people by the wrong name. One of my outstanding achievements is that I've never called my wife of 32 years (and counting) the name of the girl I previously dated for three years.

Trust me, it is not a good thing to utter your exes name at any time, especially in the heat of passion.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4516
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/17/2020 12:53:13 PM   
Canoerebel

1/11/46

Score: The Allied lead is exactly 70k - 159,441 to 89,441. So about 19k from auto-victory, with just 48 days to play.

Can the Allies score 19k+ (enough + to counteract any points Japan might get) in such a short time? It's not likely but neither is it impossible. I'm trying.

I think the Allies can harvest at least 30% of those points in China, where enemy defenses are in shreds. There are high-value bases about to fall (especially Chengtu, which is a big-denominator base). And there are multiple IJ armies subject to annihilation (many of them retreating into forests off road where only bombers can really get to them). There are still good enemy garrisons at Canton, Hong Kong, Changsha, Hangkow and a couple of other bases. Those each will take a bit of time, but not long.

There are some good points for the Ryukus (Okinawa, etc.). Allied troops are prepping and moving to ports of embarkation.

There are good points for the remaining IJ bases on Hokkaido. A large Allied army is unloading at Wakkanai and will move overland against a good enemy stack in the rough forest terrain to the south. If the Allies break through, then the rest of the island should be susceptible, especially Bihoro. There are some good points there.

But Strategic Bombing is the key. That's where there are lots of points.

Erik has withdrawn most of his flak and fighters to the key bases - the remaining big and undamaged ones.

The Allies are still picking off the small bases and damaged bases that have some residual values, like Nagasaki.

Allied fighters have been sweeping Hiroshima in big numbers. For some reason, Erik is defending there, even though the points values are small.

I probably won't go after Osaka, Yokahama and Tokyo until the easy pickings are all picked. HIs big bases bristle, especially Tokyo, which has 1100 fighters and Godzilla-like AA numbers.

I think the Allies can do it.

Erik is losing steam now, unfortunately. The replays are tedious for him. I understand that feeling - I haven't watched one since the 11/25/45 turn. He's slowing down the pace of play considerably. I think we'll make it to the endgame, but I'm not positive.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4517
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/17/2020 5:00:36 PM   
RangerJoe

If you can get units almost surrounded and you can use a parachute unit to drop in on a trashed unit to encircle others, if you might want to consider it if you don't have an immediate pressing need for the paratroopers. Then those trapped units will die if you do get into combat with them with other ground units. When the bombing causes a lot of destroyed devices on the trapped units, a paradrop on them could work as well.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4518
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/17/2020 5:05:44 PM   
Canoerebel

Paratroop units will only land on base/dot hexes, so they're of no use in this particular situation.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4519
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/17/2020 6:18:39 PM   
RangerJoe

I thought that they will also land on enemy units.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4520
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/17/2020 9:40:31 PM   
Canoerebel

It has to be a base hex.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4521
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/17/2020 11:33:34 PM   
RangerJoe

Dang! Then the manual is wrong again. Section 7.2.4 states that ground units can be dropped on an enemy location. Section 7.2.4.1 states that parachute units can be dropped into an enemy location up to the Normal Range of the transport aircraft.

My bad.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4522
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/18/2020 12:44:12 AM   
Canoerebel

Nah. You know so much about the game. I admire those with the self-discipline to read the manual. But it's encouraging that sometimes I'm right on a point of minutiae that means something tangible in playing the game.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4523
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/18/2020 1:27:21 AM   
RangerJoe

After working on computers as well as some programming courses a long time ago, I learned to read the manual. I also look at a map for directions.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4524
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/20/2020 2:39:37 AM   
CaptBeefheart

If both players agree, can you turn off combat replays? Heck, in games I've taken to 1945 I usually don't even read the combat report unless I see something unusual in the losses.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4525
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/20/2020 6:35:02 PM   
Canoerebel

I suggested that to Erik about four or five days ago. He tried it but couldn't get it to work in time for that turn, which is the only one he's sent since then. But I think he intends to fiddle with the switches more.

I get the feeling that his exhaustion goes beyond the tediousness of the replay. I think he has too many games, taking too much time. Last week, when he posted a bunch of AAR entries, I wondered if he wasn't burning his candles at both ends.

He may need a long stretch of down time to recharge his batteries.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 4526
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/20/2020 7:52:29 PM   
tolsdorff

Vishy Anand lost a heartbreaking match to Caruana yesterday in the Tata Steel Masters. He gave away a completely winning position. These things can be extremely upsetting for grandmasters of that level.

Erik must be very demoralized, reaching 1946 only to still lose, knowing he would have won against practically anybody else.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4527
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/20/2020 8:13:04 PM   
Canoerebel

Thank you. That's a nice compliment.

Erik and I both are playing the game, as a game, versus simulating real life. As such, we're bound by the rules and victory conditions, etc. By that measure, the game currently assigns the Allies a "Major Victory." But, as I've noted above, by my measure this match is a draw.

Why? Because I don't think the victory conditions do a reasonable job of measuring the skill with which the the game has been played. The creators of the game did a magnificent job. They put alot of thought into the victory conditions. Playing by those conditions is fun. But I'm persuaded that those conditions are unintentionally biased towards the Allied player.

So I call it a draw. I'm very pleased to have achieved that, against a player of Erik's caliber.

(in reply to tolsdorff)
Post #: 4528
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/20/2020 8:37:07 PM   
RangerJoe

I don't think that either of you lost. I think that both of you are winners. Granted, Eric has many games going on but at least he didn't activate the Soviets early in this game.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4529
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 1/22/2020 1:01:26 PM   
Canoerebel

Nearing (but not at) the Endgame

We're at mid-January 1946 (I'll post an update later), so I've been thinking over the game and its turning points. For me, as the Allied player, there were three crucial decisions in the game. Remember, I stepped in for Joseph (SqzMyLemon) effective 3/1/1944.

1. The entire Allied OOB was weighted in SWPac, from Rabaul and PM back. (The secondary front in Burma was in the woods, low on supply and still fighting with 1941 squads!) From reading Obvert's and Joseph's AARs, I knew Obvert was prepared to counter any thrust out of SWPac. So, where to for the Allies? Based on all kinds of info and hunches, I chose NoPac. It took more than three months to shift everything around for the late June '44 invasion of Sikhalin Island. That big gamble succeeded but it also resulted in about four months of nip-and-tuck fighting, as Erik fought viciously. Hey, the Allies prevailed!

2. But then, by late '44, I found that the Allies were stuck in a corner. Due to Erik's immense fighter corps, pilot quality, AA, and thin Allied fighter pools, strategic bombing wasn't going to be efficient for the Allies from what few large enemy bases are within decent range of Sikhalin Island. Moreover, the Allies were bottled up in Burma and Erik held all of China in a vice-like grip. Somehow, I had to open a new front to the South. The decision was made to shift the Allied army from Sikhalin Island to China via invasion, while also awaiting the right chance to move the army in India/Burma to Malaya via invasion. All that took a very long time but was ultimately successful, which then opened up Singers, Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Luzon, Formosa and Indochina.

3. With the Allies holding a good lodgment on the China coast, the Russians activating, and a huge Allied force moving north from Indochina/Luzon, the question was whether to immediately invade the Home Islands or Korea or to instead work deep into China to handle Chungking and other huge points centers. I chose the latter. I felt confident that the Allies could take Chungking before the end of February 1946 (when I think the game ends). I had doubts whether there would still be enough time to handle most of the other big enemy bases, like Hong Kong, Changsha, etc. I didn't think there was any chance of time enough remaining to then move on to Korea or the Home Islands.

I was wrong. The Allies steamrolled through China and took Chungking by early January. Now they're expeditiously moving on the remaining enemy bases, which are all falling or cracking quickly. And most of the huge Allied army in China will make it to Korea by late January or early February.

I also had notions of an Allied invasion of Hokkaido, most likely Bihoro, but I didn't like the idea of a big amphibious op under meager carrier protection close to huge enemy airfields, when Erik has been shepherding his kamikazes for the entire game (and I have little confidence in LRCAP under these conditions). Eventually, I decided to land a massive reinforcing army at Wakkanai for an overland campaign starting from there and aimed at Sapporo. The first key attack will take place tomorrow, in the forest hex south of Wakkanai.

The Allied OOB is utterly immense at this point, so the game is little fun for Erik. The challenge is whether the Allies can achieve 2:1 by the end of February. I think it's 50/50.

There's also indications Erik's economy may be cracking. The Jap army in China has no supply, which isn't a surprise. He's not defending air attacks from Hiroshima on south. And recent Allied air raids vs. airfields on Hokkaido did heavy damage that Erik doesn't seem to be repairing. Repairs don't take supply, but I wonder if his engineers are inactive or gone? Even if he is hurting now, he'll be marshalling his assets for final battles around his core bases (Tokyo to Osaka), so there's a need for caution until the situation clarifies.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4530
Page:   <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  149 150 [151] 152 153   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI