Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 1:34:49 PM   
jwolf

As for Erik, the evidence seems good that a lot happened in the last turn. Maybe it went poorly for the Japanese and he has a dilemma in how to regroup. Or maybe it was more mixed, some good and some bad, but with so much happening he needs time to plan the next round, as you will once the turn comes to you.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 811
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 1:41:46 PM   
Canoerebel

I was up last night until nearly three a.m., working on another poem. I couldn't rest well until I got something down on paper. Then I rested. I think I've written about eight since late March. I have one more in mind.

While I was up, Erik was stirring. We exchanged a few "what the heck? it's early!" emails. Then he sent the 9/11/44 turn. Once again, preternaturally quiet. His forces are in the same locations, poised to strike but not striking; and seemingly not really probing hard. I'll post a graphic in a bit.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/3/2018 1:42:17 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 812
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 3:04:17 PM   
Canoerebel

9/11/44

NoPac: The tension is incredible. Shikuka survived the opening assault by the smallest of margins, and a concerted enemy assault would likely finish things up. That Erik hasn't attacked in ten days is a testament either to the damage his guys absorbed or to his patience in cobbling together the next assault.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 813
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 5:10:34 PM   
BBfanboy

Does that top dialogue box mean to say "replenish mines"?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 814
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 5:50:10 PM   
Squamry

I was wondering if the delay to Erik restarting the attacks could be due to lack of support troops on Hokkaido? If he was not expecting an attack in NoPac there may not be as much air support as he would like and after the losses of the first few days it may be taking some time to get the LBA back up to muster.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 815
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 5:51:12 PM   
Canoerebel

Yes.

My sub-laid mines don't seem to be accomplishing anything, but I feel better with them in place. Eventually I might get lucky.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 816
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 5:52:13 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squamry
I was wondering if the delay to Erik restarting the attacks could be due to lack of support troops on Hokkaido? If he was not expecting an attack in NoPac there may not be as much air support as he would like and after the losses of the first few days it may be taking some time to get the LBA back up to muster.

He's been attending to his defenses for months with great intensity. I'm sure he has everything in place and to his liking, inculding support troops.

(in reply to Squamry)
Post #: 817
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 6:03:54 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Here's one more, this one written after an early-April hike. When I heard a pileated woodpecker, I was thinking about the Cherokee Indians who once resided in the valley below.

Erik disappeared today; no posts; no turn; no word. That's unusual. Since I'm expecting a boot to drop with every turn, the sudden slow-down is tough.

Background...

The woodpecker was a symbol of war for South Eastern Indians. So was the Turkey. Woodpeckers were used in motifs and in spirit for warfare. Feathers, woodpecker shaped warclubs, sounds, etc.

The woodpecker spirit would be called upon for inspiration. They were also seen as omens in their presence and actions.

Sometimes after a Woodpecker is seen, later a second one will appear, following along after the first.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/3/2018 6:14:19 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 818
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 6:27:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Here's one more, this one written after an early-April hike. When I heard a pileated woodpecker, I was thinking about the Cherokee Indians who once resided in the valley below.

Erik disappeared today; no posts; no turn; no word. That's unusual. Since I'm expecting a boot to drop with every turn, the sudden slow-down is tough.

That was a thoroughly readable poem, Canoe. Thank you for sharing it with us.

One for you, inspired by memories of Grotius:

Waxing poetic
But for me-makee bang bang!
Bang bang bang bang bang!

On a related note, what's up with the placid turns of late? C'mon, man! If I wanted a music recital and a tea party, I'd a gone to the freakin' symphony.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 819
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 6:44:29 PM   
Canoerebel

I know what you mean, but these turns aren't placid for me! I'm holding my breath, waiting for Erik to unleash the whirlwind even as I try to pull everything together for the Allied counteroffensive that should take place by the end of the month. The pressure keeps building and the lid will come off.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 820
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 6:55:24 PM   
BillBrown

They're probably trading cornbread recipes.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 821
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 9:11:37 PM   
modrow

quote:

I know what you mean, but these turns aren't placid for me! I'm holding my breath, waiting for Erik to unleash the whirlwind even as I try to pull everything together for the Allied counteroffensive that should take place by the end of the month. The pressure keeps building and the lid will come off.

So, maybe it is time to provde a summary of PsyOps in this campaign of yours in this AAR

IIRC, in your epic game against John 3rd you tried partly to get under his skin - is Obvert trying to get under yours?

And what's your assessment of your new opponent (if you like in terms of civil war generals)?

Just curious...

Hartwig

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 822
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 11:56:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Yeah, I'm doing some psy ops stuff - nothing major, but when it dovetails with an idea or op and doesn't slow it down or risk things. I may be able to reveal some things soon.

I don't detect any effort by Erik to get under the skin. He does a fine job of not tipping his hand, though sometimes SigInt or other things works against him.

He's an excellent player with few holes in his game. He isn't Superman, though, as best I can tell. He goofs sometimes, or luck works against him, or I get the drop on him. Of course, the reserve is true, sometimes with interest. Despite tripping over my shoelaces, though I've made some key headway. In particular, Sikhalin was a huge step forward, assuming it doesn't implode on me. It might. Or it might not.

I've said previously that comparing Erik's style with John's has made me appreciate John all the more. He handled so many things well in our game. He has some holes, but he's dadgum good.

(in reply to modrow)
Post #: 823
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/3/2018 11:58:18 PM   
Canoerebel

9/12/44

NoPac: Another quiet day. Erik's "storm clouds" are still right there and able to strike, but another day passes without a debilitating strike.

The details on the map are all vital to my assessment of what's going on and some options I'm considering. I'm not sure I'm ready to reveal those yet. I might in just a few posts or I may wait just a bit longer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 824
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 12:09:02 AM   
Canoerebel

9/12/44

Marcus: This information is also key to what's going on in NoPac.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 825
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 4:11:50 PM   
Canoerebel

9/13/44

NoPac: A lot of forces are moving around. Both sides have notions and/or suspicions. I think both expect something new is coming, even while the backdrop of Shikuka and its perilous state remains tense.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 826
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 4:35:55 PM   
Canoerebel

9/13/44

Marcus Island: If Erik happens to fear or expect an imminent attack on Marcus, little probings and ticklings might trigger a reaction - might prompt him to detail some assets this way or temporarily delay actions in NoPac until the situation clarifies.

I'm not risking anything doing this, so I might as well do it (here and elsewhere on the map).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 827
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 5:02:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

9/13/44

Marcus Island: If Erik happens to fear or expect an imminent attack on Marcus, little probings and ticklings might trigger a reaction - might prompt him to detail some assets this way or temporarily delay actions in NoPac until the situation clarifies.

I'm not risking anything doing this, so I might as well do it (here and elsewhere on the map).

His response might be in the negative - no reacting directly to this irritation but holding back on his other plans until he knows what is real and what is a diversion.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 828
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 5:43:23 PM   
jwolf

I like your tactic of rattling his cage here and there. Good stuff!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 829
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 6:08:52 PM   
Canoerebel

I know you enjoy behind-the-scenes stuff. Here's the skinny on a major part of the game the past week.

I've played this game keeping plans and ongoing ops out of the AAR for security reasons (not fearing intentional breaches, but accidental ones). If you happen to be reading Erik's AAR, for goodness sake don't post something like, "Hey, Erik, how's security around the Home Islands" or "What are your contingencies if DS should show up?"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 830
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 7:05:07 PM   
jwolf

Lower right text box: "In the event he does catch wind of KB" where presumably you mean the Allied DS here. Bad mistake to make on Star Wars Day.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 831
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 7:24:36 PM   
Canoerebel

You're right, of course. I meant "DS." I am king of typos. I just wish I could be like Ross, who proudly boasts the as leader of the Holy Roman Empire, he is exempt from rules of grammar and such.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 832
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 7:32:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I just wish I could be like Ross, who proudly boasts the as leader of the Holy Roman Empire, he is exempt from rules of grammar and such.

Did you mean 'that as' here?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 833
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 7:35:13 PM   
Canoerebel

I must lay down and give up the ghost.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 834
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/4/2018 10:52:04 PM   
crsutton

quote:

You're right, of course. I meant "DS." I am king of typos. I just wish I could be like Ross, who proudly boasts the as leader of the Holy Roman Empire, he is exempt from rules of grammar and such.

Nor do I have to make my own bed..Perks of the position.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 835
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/5/2018 2:56:37 PM   
Canoerebel

9/14/44

NoPac: No attack against Shikuka. All kinds of things are going on just under the surface, causing ripples all over the place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 836
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/5/2018 3:11:11 PM   
Canoerebel

9/14/44

Marcus: What's going on up north is affecting what is happening down here (and, to a small extent, vice versa).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 837
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/6/2018 11:40:15 AM   
Canoerebel

9/15/44

NoPac: Probings and counter-probings while Shikuka gets another quiet day and Allied CVEs show just six days until upgrades are complete.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 838
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/7/2018 2:11:09 PM   
Canoerebel

9/16/44

NoPac: Nothing happening at Shikuka. Two weeks back, I thought utter annihilation was at hand.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 839
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 5/7/2018 2:23:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

NoPac: Nothing happening at Shikuka. Two weeks back, I thought utter annihilation was at hand.

Patience, Canoerebel. Patience. Your utter annihilation may just take a few days longer than you initially thought.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI