Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 3:55:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
it's probably possible.

What does this even mean?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 121
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 4:43:47 PM   
Canoerebel

I teach an adult Sunday school class in a relatively small rural church. This past Sunday, a lady in my class was winding up a comment when she said this: "I was talking to my French mule...."

This caught me by surprise. Thinking quickly, as all teachers sometimes must do, I wondered if "my French mule" was a new slang term, similar to "BFF" or something. So I asked.

"Your French mule?"

"I said, 'My friend Shmool."

It turns out the lady has a friend Shmool.

Words are funny things, spoken or written.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/29/2017 4:44:12 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 122
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 4:51:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

it's probably possible.

What does this even mean?

Possible = certainly could happen
Probably Possible = uncertain if it could happen, but estimating that it could
Clear now?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 123
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 4:54:15 PM   
Chickenboy

Well, if I'm a literalist, I interpret the 'probable' to be anything greater than 50% likelihood of happening. Let's say 51% for purposes of this illustration. Something 'possible' is usually less than 25% chance. Let's put that at 24% at the most.
So the probably possible becomes a probability of 0.51 x 0.24= 0.1224. Remembering significant figures, that puts it at roughly 12%.

The probably possible has now become the probably improbable and is indistinguishable from the possibly possible.

Which is it gonna be, good sir?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 124
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 4:56:06 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Well, if I'm a literalist, I interpret the 'probable' to be anything greater than 50% likelihood of happening. Let's say 51% for purposes of this illustration. Something 'possible' is usually less than 25% chance. Let's put that at 24% at the most.
So the probably possible becomes a probability of 0.51 x 0.24= 0.1224. Remembering significant figures, that puts it at roughly 12%.

The probably possible has now become the probably improbable and is indistinguishable from the possibly possible.

Which is it gonna be, good sir?

Iffy?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 125
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 6:24:15 PM   
Chickenboy

Well, I for one cannot say that I like this new means of communication. But even Whether.com is using this double-speak:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 126
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 6:58:42 PM   
Canoerebel

3/11/44

Burma: Enemy bombers rough up a Chinese corps and an African division at some cost to the enemy air force. I'm going to fight hard in Burma as soon as I get supply. Until then I'll try to taunt and tease. I'm also trying to steal a march on Erik to take Bassein but he'll probably possibly blunt that effort.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 127
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 7:15:38 PM   
HansBolter

The known unknowns are always better in hand than the unknown unknowns.......to (loosely) quote Rumsfeld that is.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 8/29/2017 7:20:58 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 128
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/29/2017 7:46:06 PM   
crsutton

I am betting that he has little or no defense at Djambi. Put a small carrier raid in and smash up some oil. Those fighters on the front line in Burma will go away. Course is it late in the game. That oil should have been threatened months ago.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 129
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/30/2017 3:36:33 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I am betting that he has little or no defense at Djambi. Put a small carrier raid in and smash up some oil. Those fighters on the front line in Burma will go away. Course is it late in the game. That oil should have been threatened months ago.

Medan is easier to get to, but yes.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 130
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/31/2017 4:58:10 PM   
Xilana

A post that pertains to the recent discussion here about taking over games...I'm going to post in this thread as it gives both you and John a chance to respond. Would it be possible for the two of you to make a few saves at various points in that game once completed. It would be interesting to see others perhaps pick up and explore other strategies. Actually it would be great if some of the games that go to 45, go the same way. I would surmise there may be some players who would find it interesting to start playing in a mid to end game role. Just some thoughts.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 131
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/31/2017 5:16:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: venividivici10044a

A post that pertains to the recent discussion here about taking over games...I'm going to post in this thread as it gives both you and John a chance to respond. Would it be possible for the two of you to make a few saves at various points in that game once completed. It would be interesting to see others perhaps pick up and explore other strategies. Actually it would be great if some of the games that go to 45, go the same way. I would surmise there may be some players who would find it interesting to start playing in a mid to end game role. Just some thoughts.

It's an interesting idea, but unlikely to find very many individuals willing to go along with it for it to be successful.

You'd need:

1. A PBEM game (a minority of games to begin with)
2. ...that goes 'deep' into the war (very much a minority of games go past 1943)
3. Where both players can be contacted for their passwords
4. Both players are willing to provide their passwords
5. Both players are comfortable with other unrelated players playing 'their' game
6. Probably a game that has an AAR
7. The 'right' version of the game to be picked up (scenario 1 v. 2 v. DBB-B v. DBB-C, etc.)
8. etc.

Many players feel a sense of 'ownership' over their games and also don't like having their dirty laundry aired out further beyond the AAR too. It's almost an invasion of privacy for some.

(in reply to Xilana)
Post #: 132
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/31/2017 6:16:08 PM   
Canoerebel

That's true! It is tough to have somebody walk through your "house," finding shoes not in the right place, dust-bunnies behind the couch, a messy desk, dishes in the sink, a toilet in need of cleaning, etc.

Even in this game it must be weird for Joseph to have me comment. It helps that he left a pretty neat house, and I don't want to air his dirty laundry, but I'll forget and write something now and then, in all likelihood.

I do have files with my John III game going back pretty far - I think to around January 1943. That's two months into the Sumatra invasion.

The most interesting place to pick up the game would be late summer or autumn of '42 - before Sumatra really got underway. By then it had been a bloody game but the die wasn't cast yet.

If I was looking to pick up the game in January '43, I'd be reluctant to do so. A lot of decisions were made going into that which depended heavily on my knowledge of John IIIs style of play. He's aggressive and fights forward, which creates opportunities for both sides. But the Allies would face a daunting situation against a more defensively-minded player.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 133
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/31/2017 7:42:33 PM   
Canoerebel

3/14/44

Burma: Allies move forward and take Bassein against little opposition. Nothing much is happening here. Nothing much is happening anywhere. At least on the front lines.

Behind the lines, I am as active as can be. I am assuming that the same holds true for Erik. The False War won't last forever.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 134
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 3:55:08 AM   
Canoerebel

3/15/44

Death from Above: Gentlemen, I have a favor to ask. Could one of you PM Joesph and invite him - no, urge him! - to return to the forum? Could another of you convene the AE Kangaroo Court for the first time in five years?

How can I send the American navy into harm's way led by the USS Empower Norton, John Wick, and Death from Above?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 135
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 5:10:45 AM   
Chickenboy

Could be worse. On my furtive Allied efforts against the Japanese AI (psst...don't tell anyone), I've renamed the first Allied carrier USS Gonnagitcha. If I was playing against *you*, it'd be the USS Appomattox Courthouse or the Gettysburg.

ETA: Here's another good one if I was playing against *you*: the USS Uggasdysplasia

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/1/2017 5:12:20 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 136
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 6:30:51 AM   
Jellicoe

Can you Subpoena someone to a Kangaroo Court?

the name is certainly unusual........

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 137
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 10:53:21 AM   
Jellicoe

In all the AAR's I have read I can't think of anyone who seems to use the 11th East African as much! You really like these chaps don't you!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 138
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 11:43:32 AM   
Encircled

In my current game, I toyed with the idea of naming my ships after my favourite ever Burnley FC players.

"Death from Above" is a great name, but only for a battle cruiser orbiting Alpha Centuri awaiting an insectoid invasion fleet.

(in reply to Jellicoe)
Post #: 139
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 1:10:45 PM   
Lovejoy

Can the Kangaroo Court summon people on its own or do we need to form a Kangaroo Grand Jury to consider an indictment?

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 140
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 3:42:55 PM   
crsutton

quote:

I teach an adult Sunday school class in a relatively small rural church. This past Sunday, a lady in my class was winding up a comment when she said this: "I was talking to my French mule...."

This caught me by surprise. Thinking quickly, as all teachers sometimes must do, I wondered if "my French mule" was a new slang term, similar to "BFF" or something. So I asked.

"Your French mule?"

But you know, I really like the sound of the quote. We now have a mission. Come up with a suitable meaning for "talking to my French Mule."

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 141
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 3:55:05 PM   
crsutton

Perhaps something like this. (Note! for display purpose only. You may substitute the politician of your choice here)

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 142
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 5:13:34 PM   
Canoerebel

How about this: "I was talking to my French mule" can be code for "Once I met this Chilean prostitute..."

That way, Ross, you can delve into prior forum conversations without opening yourself to guffaws!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 143
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 5:57:35 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

"Your French mule?"

But you know, I really like the sound of the quote. We now have a mission. Come up with a suitable meaning for "talking to my French Mule."

That's easy- a French Mule would be a stubborn arrogant horse's ass.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 144
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 6:12:54 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
That's easy- a French Mule would be a stubborn arrogant horse's ass.

Hey!! I'm not French!!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 145
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 9:52:48 PM   
crsutton

quote:

How about this: "I was talking to my French mule" can be code for "Once I met this Chilean prostitute..."

That way, Ross, you can delve into prior forum conversations without opening yourself to guffaws!

Sigh, this one is just never going to go away is it?

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 146
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 9:53:57 PM   
crsutton

quote:

quote:

Hey Dan, do you remember what the girl from Chile was talking about?

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 147
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 9:59:40 PM   
crsutton

Speaking of Mules. Here is one for a fellow Georgia boy. My Great Grandfather, John Maner, at his farm in Augusta. My Great Grandmother wrote the caption. (Baalam and his ass!) Dan, a church going lad such as you should recognize the reference. I don't think anyone would have had the nerve to tell my Mamaa that she misspelled Balaam.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by crsutton -- 9/1/2017 10:04:10 PM >

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 148
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/1/2017 10:00:28 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

It was sooooooo good it will last as long as we do.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 149
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 9/2/2017 10:53:30 AM   
Canoerebel

3/16/44

Sit Rep: There's a lot going on behind the scenes. The most effective way to show you would be to post the Strategic Map, adding notes here and there. But I can't. If I did, you'd see all kinds of green blips. I'm not ready to go into detail nor to answer questions for clever and intuitive forumites. So I'm puzzling over how to present an interesting AAR - setting the table for what's to come without spilling too much. I don't have an answer yet, so instead I'll just mention little things here and there that mean little individually but that mean a lot to me, in the context of the bigger picture:

Burma: Allied 4EB conducted a low-altitude night raid over Pisanonoluke, one of Erik's two major bomber bases. The strike was effective and built on another that took place three or four days back.

Meanwhile, the Allies are shifting down the coast road towards Bassein, which I now hold, as though threatening Prome. Erik is responding in like measure and has strongly reinforced Prome and vicinity. He's working sweeps and bombing missions that thus far have drilled dry holes. I'm leaving defense to oranic AA in ground units, which is somewhat effective, especially in the jungle.

Supply is an real issue and will continue to be into the medium term. Lots of small TFs are delivering, but the Allies have a massive army in Burma to feed. This is all good - my objective here is to keep Erik focused...or, if he should eventually decide to withdraw, to follow closely and work any opportunities.

1st Cavalry Division: The fragment at Wake was retrieved and returned to Pearl Harbor, where it joined the other fragment. This was an important tiny op to me, since this allows the battered division to rebuild and upgrade.

Gilberts: The Allies just invade and easily took Abemama. Eric has tiny garrisons in this area, so I'm taking them via "catcher's indifference" (a baseball term). Nothing to get excited about here, but mopping up here is important in creating a better LOC and eliminating a pocket from which Erik could base patrol aircraft, subs or small raiding TFs. Tarawa and Naura will come soon. Ocean, Mili, Roi, Kwaj and Eniwetok later. Erik will consider deploying a raider TF probably (John III would).

SoPac: Joseph (SqzMyLemon) did a great job of moving troops and supply forward in the Solomons/New Georgia/Admiralties region. But that does create some logistics problems. Having 2,000 AV at, say, Rabaul means loading later under enemy supervision. I prefer to begin ops from further back, away from prying enemy eyes. So from the start of the game (for me, 3/1), tremendous work has been going on getting ships forward, loading units, and pulling them back to marshalling areas. This is going well and will continue probably for another month.

Diego Garcia: East African brigade arrived to garrison this important outpost.

Subs: Eric's air ASW sank a Dutch sub near Saipan yesterday. But by and large he isn't using nav search or air ASW. So my guys have spread out to get information more than anything. A sub did nab an xAK near the Mariannas two days back.

SigInt: Still not a single report of an enemy division (nor, I think, even a mixed brigade) outside of Home Islands, Korea, China. Now, I'm nearly positive there are many in Burma, so I'm not drawing any conclusions yet. The info may be wildly inaccurate thus far. But I am getting a better feel for where Eric is concentrating.

Long Term: The plans have been made, for better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI