Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:14:23 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Ketoi: Effective bombardment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1591
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:17:05 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Ketoi: No enemy CAP; many Allied raids; considering the number of bombers in this one, they're effective.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1592
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:19:01 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Ketoi: The strongest raid of the day; the enemy if fading badly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/23/2018 12:20:35 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1593
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:22:45 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Ketoi: Some of you guys (all of you, perhaps) predicted it would happen. I didn't think so. Not quite yet.

Hurrah!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1594
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:24:56 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Ketoi: Enemy losses pretty heavy. Given the state of the defenders, I don't anticipate a protracted eradication effort. But what do I know?

Anyhow, I went ahead and started all Ketoi-prepped units to prep for other targets. That was fun - kind of like a small "victory dividend" of pleasure.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1595
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:27:56 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Burma: No enemy fighters over Pegu today. Lots of Allied bombers target the massive stack here - massive including tons of AA units.

I'm losing at least 30 bombers every turn to flak - mostly 2EB but some 4EB. The cost is worth it to slow down the enemy units, allowing Allied ground units to come up and attack an enemy army retiring. But the bean counters might not approve.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1596
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:31:00 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Burma: Despite the harassing bombing raids against the enemy stack at Rangoon, much of that army moves to Pegu in time to thwart the large Allied attack.

Still, the results are okay. The Allies will soon have Rangoon, which makes supply and recuperation easier, while Allied bombers should be able to strike effectively at the retiring enemy army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1597
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 12:36:05 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Car Nicobar: 2:1 Allied attack drops forts and reveals part of an enemy mixed brigade. This must be coming in by air transport, without heavy guns (no auto arty-bombardment triggered by yesterday's invasion).

I don't think the enemy garrison will stand.

I do know it's time to get my ships and carriers out of here. I haven't seen KB in 8 or 10 days (last at Yokohama). I think Erik has to keep them in the Home Islands, but there's a chance he anticipates an Allied invasion of lightly garrisoned Victoria Point and is preparing to pounce. (No such invasion will take place until KB is confirmed so far away that penguins are its nearest companions.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1598
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 4:20:16 AM   
Canoerebel

11/5/44

Ketoi: Allied ground at last.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1599
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 5:07:10 AM   
RangerJoe

Congratulations on Ketoi!

Now you can have a quicker turn around on your bombardment runs in the area, possibly hitting multiple targets. Destroy their supplies and equipment before spring and the invasions will be easier.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1600
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 6:39:36 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Now you can have a quicker turn around on your bombardment runs in the area, possibly hitting multiple targets. Destroy their supplies and equipment before spring and the invasions will be easier.

Well, with a level 1 port 100% damaged, it will be danged hard to unload enough supply to restock the AEs and AKEs that would support bombardment TFs. I think it will take nearly a month to repair everything, build a reasonable airfield for defence and build the port enough to handle supply unloading at a reasonable rate.

The workaround is to send AEs and AKEs back to Shikuka to stock up, but each trip exposes them to subs, MTBs and air-naval strikes. Its a PITA to cover it.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1601
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 10:54:05 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

In two more months he will no longer need a proximate port for replenishing bombardment TFs or the DS's air sortie level.

CR pay attention to where you have your DEs deployed and prepare in late December to marshal them together into a replenishment TF to place on station with the DS in January.
Replenishment is automatic as soon as the TF in need of replenishment shares the same hex with the AE replenishment TF.
The player doesn't have to manually prompt the replenishment, in fact I'm not sure the player CAN trigger the replenishment manually as the TFs are not occupying a port to have the interface available to manually prompt a replenishment.

MY bombardment TFs now get Remain on Station orders so they don't go running full movement distance back to a home port and instead can move one hex out of the target hex to the hex shared by the DS and the fuel and ammunition replenishment TFs.

Hans

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1602
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 2:50:02 PM   
BillBrown

I have not been there in a long time, but I thought that only 5" and smaller got reloaded outside a port after 1/1/1945.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1603
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 3:52:51 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I have not been there in a long time, but I thought that only 5" and smaller got reloaded outside a port after 1/1/1945.

It depends on load cost.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1604
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 4:46:21 PM   
RangerJoe

I would not depend upon underway replenishment for the Iowa class as well as other battleships per:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4095833&mpage=1&key=

since the OPs points might get used up prior to reloading the ammo.

While they CAN reload, they might not. They may only partially reload as well.

The AEs, AKEs, and the ADs can also return to the Aleutians to reload. The AOs can use a nice tanker for the source of fuel.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1605
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 4:46:52 PM   
Canoerebel

11/6/44

Ketoi: Engineers expeditiously repair airfield and port. I think Cold Zone will slow actual construction, based upon my encyclopedic understanding of winter conditions.

Burma: At the moment it looks like Erik might be planning to stand at Rangoon and Pegu, rather than retiring, as I had expected given my encyclopedic understanding of what he is bound to do.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/23/2018 4:47:11 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1606
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 5:19:45 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

I would not depend upon underway replenishment for the Iowa class as well as other battleships per:

The AEs, AKEs, and the ADs can also return to the Aleutians to reload. The AOs can use a nice tanker for the source of fuel.

It is useful to control fuel availability in this regard. Ships use OP points for refuelling first, and small ports are not exactly efficient in doing it. With shortlegged bombardment runs there is no need to refuel BBs every time. So having 0 fuel in Ketoi and switching AOs between replenishment (when you do need to refuel) and other TF type (when you only need rearm) works best

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1607
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 6:16:33 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

It is useful to control fuel availability in this regard. Ships use OP points for refuelling first, and small ports are not exactly efficient in doing it. With shortlegged bombardment runs there is no need to refuel BBs every time. So having 0 fuel in Ketoi and switching AOs between replenishment (when you do need to refuel) and other TF type (when you only need rearm) works best

All good advice, but two months early for Dan's need to start bombardments going now.
But, in short order he will be able to rearm SC guns at Ketoi!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1608
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 6:59:11 PM   
RangerJoe

According to the discussion in the link that I posted, the AEs will refuel the ships prior to the rearmament, Since I have yet to get that far before the computer gives up, I can only go by what I have read.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1609
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 7:19:16 PM   
Canoerebel

11/6/44

Shikuka: Lots of AE and AKE at Shikuka.

Six weeks back, at the height of the Siege of Shikuka, I was regretting having so many "marooned" there, facing destruction.

But they were needed early in the invaison (June '44) when the two Sikhalin ports were small and I anticipated a long, hard naval battle in which replenishment would be crucial and perhaps key.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1610
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 7:34:45 PM   
BBfanboy

Yeah, I knew you would have a host of ammo ships there, it's the shuttle back and forth in the eye of the enemy that gives me the willies.

Aside: Mt. Hood has 6200 Capacity! That could come in handy if you capture Yamato or Musashi!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 6/23/2018 7:35:07 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1611
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/23/2018 10:49:20 PM   
JohnDillworth

What's the worst thing that can happen?

Attachment (1)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1612
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 12:39:53 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

What's the worst thing that can happen?

Yeah, naming an AE after HMS Hood is tempting the War Gods sense of humour too much ....

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1613
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 1:37:17 AM   
Canoerebel

Y'all remember the story of the merchantman carrying picric acid (for artillery shells) that exploded in Halifax channel in 1918? Utter devastation.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1614
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 1:39:49 AM   
Canoerebel

The explosion was in 1917.

I think this photo was taken shortly thereafter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1615
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 1:41:09 AM   
Canoerebel

So too this one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1616
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 4:00:12 AM   
RangerJoe

Worse than naming the AE after the HMS Hood, it is/was named after a stratovolcano!

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/mount_hood/

quote:

. . . The Mont-Blanc was packed full of TNT, picric acid, gun cotton and aircraft fuel. With 3,000 tons of high explosives packed in barrels in its hold, it was a floating bomb.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/sc-books-great-halifax-explosion-john-bacon-1227-story.html

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1617
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 4:56:08 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Y'all remember the story of the merchantman carrying picric acid (for artillery shells) that exploded in Halifax channel in 1918? Utter devastation.

The largest above-ground explosive event created by Man until the A-bomb. In fact the designers of the A-bomb studied the damage pattern at Halifax (and probably Port Chicago, although I think that was a series of explosions).
The flash of the explosion "bleached" the sides of brick building and left silhouettes of people standing in front.
A train dispatcher became a hero when he saw the burning Mt. Blanc and telegraphed the next station up the line to hold a train so it did not head into danger.
He died because he was still trying to get confirmation of the message getting through when the ship blew.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1618
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 10:07:46 AM   
HansBolter

I have 12 AEs on station with the DS at Chichi Jima. 3 more are enroute. Some of the newer ones have 6400 capacity. They replenish 16" guns and carrier sorties with no problems.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1619
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 6/24/2018 10:34:00 AM   
JohnDillworth

US Liberty Ship SS Robert Rowan was hit by 3 bombs from JU-88's. It caught fire, miraculously everyone evacuated and no one was killed. Ship didn't fare too well.

Attachment (1)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI