Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 3:35:33 PM   
Canoerebel

I'll be out of town this afternoon through tomorrow night. My daughter is getting married tomorrow. She's 25 and a fine woman. I still remember the little girl that squealed "Daddy!" when I walked into the door after work. But then, I still remember the big boy (John III) that squealed "Banzai!" when he sank four of my carriers south of Fiji eleven years ago.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1921
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 4:53:36 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Since the Allies never got a chance to name it, that gives Dan an opportunity.

So how about it Dan? What "heavy fighter" girl do you want to immortalize with the Ki-83? She should be someone like Jim Croce's Roller Derby Queen.

How about the Cletus?

Oops. I forgot the name should be feminine. How about Jezebel?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1922
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 5:27:13 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

RE: Missouri bombard - was DL low? Did they not fire all their ammo? I've had surprisingly lackluster bombardments and then looked at their ammo next day and they only fired half.

The smaller caliber guns auto-replenished at Ketoi after the bombardment, so I don't know exactly how much ammo was fired...but Missouri's 16-inchers are down to 2 ammo apiece, meaning they fired most of it.

Detection was high and has been for weeks or more than a month.

I think terrain is the factor at 3x. All of my bombardments have been dampened there.

I've never seen a bombarding ship go below 2 in the magazine at the end of the bombardment. A wise ship captain allows for a possible surface combat on the way back to base/replenishment, so I am sure this was hard-coded into the bombardment routines.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1923
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 9:33:16 PM   
Lokasenna

Fighters have masculine Allied code names.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1924
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 9:47:39 PM   
RangerJoe

Enjoy yourself at the festivities.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1925
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 9:50:23 PM   
Anachro

Ki-83 Nemo

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1926
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/3/2018 10:43:25 PM   
HansBolter

There are also KI-94s and KI-95s in scenario 40. Not sure if they appear in non-iron man scenarios.

The KI-95s are bears shooting down Allied top tier fighters and 4Es.

Hans

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 1927
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/4/2018 12:43:27 AM   
Bif1961

They all grown up so fast.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1928
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/4/2018 6:50:48 PM   
dave sindel

quote:

I'll be out of town this afternoon through tomorrow night. My daughter is getting married tomorrow. She's 25 and a fine woman. I still remember the little girl that squealed "Daddy!" when I walked into the door after work. But then, I still remember the big boy (John III) that squealed "Banzai!" when he sank four of my carriers south of Fiji eleven years ago.

Congrats to you and your family. I hope that your new son-in-law makes a fine addition to your family and is a good fit for your daughter.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1929
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 3:51:27 AM   
Canoerebel

12/20/44

Uruppu: Ratio of raw AV is about 5:1 in favor of the Allies. I think Uruppu will fall in two attacks or possibly one, with that possibly to take place tomorrow.

Allied LRCAP intercepted some Emilys over the island - more likely withdrawing troops than reinforcing or bringing supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 1930
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 3:55:52 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel
Congrats to you and your family. I hope that your new son-in-law makes a fine addition to your family and is a good fit for your daughter.

Thanks, Dave and other well-wishers.

We had a very nice wedding at a small church near Knoxville this afternoon, with lots of family and close friends present.

The Daddy of the bride help up pretty well. I typically don't tear up for things, but wasn't sure how this would hit me. I handled the walking of the bride to the altar fine and then the subsequent vows and such. But the Daddy-Daughter dance hit me in the gut. I was okay until the music started. My daughter picked "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music, a movie we watched repeatedly when she and her brothers were small. Suddenly it wasn't a self-assured, capable 25-year-old woman I was dacning with. It was my six-year-old little girl.

I spent the rest of the dance with my back to the congregation.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 1931
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 5:20:34 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

Canoerebel

We had a very nice wedding at a small church near Knoxville this afternoon, with lots of family and close friends present.

The Daddy of the bride help up pretty well. I typically don't tear up for things, but wasn't sure how this would hit me. I handled the walking of the bride to the altar fine and then the subsequent vows and such. But the Daddy-Daughter dance hit me in the gut. I was okay until the music started. My daughter picked "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music, a movie we watched repeatedly when she and her brothers were small. Suddenly it wasn't a self-assured, capable 25-year-old woman I was dacning with. It was my six-year-old little girl.

I spent the rest of the dance with my back to the congregation.

Congratulations Dan. Sounds like a wonderful moment to share with your Daughter and one you both will likely cherish forever. From one who is constantly affected emotionally these days from memories of past special moments, I wish you many more in your future.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 8/5/2018 5:21:25 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1932
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 5:49:28 AM   
Canoerebel

That's a lovely sentiment, Joseph. Thank you.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 1933
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 5:50:50 AM   
Canoerebel

12/20/44

NoPac: The Allies have something cooking in NoPac. Stay tuned, because there should be a great deal of lightning and thunder tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1934
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 6:02:01 AM   
RangerJoe

I have a strange feeling that someone is going to go and while you go and but it could go the other way.

And it is okay to get choked up on days like that. Just be thankful that you were there to enjoy it.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1935
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 10:31:33 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Edelweiss
well Edelweiss was not really fair. I'm a might misty just reading that. This is one of those days we raise them for. Good job sir

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1936
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 1:23:15 PM   
Canoerebel

12/20/44

L-Day Plan: The Allies intend to land tomorrow at Wakkanai and the non-base hex to the south.

There has been a long discussion of non-bases invasions on the main page the last few weeks. I have avoided commenting there.

Some players think this is gamey. It isn't. Erik did this earlier in the game. I'm doing it now - not in retribution, because I'd have done it anyway, but because it makes perfect sense.

Players, especially in these smaller-island environments, can post defenses in the non-base hexes (as I did on Sikhalin Island) to counter the tactic. Erik could have done so on Hokkaido. I don't think he has.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1937
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 4:20:44 PM   
BBfanboy

Whoa! I looked at Wakkanai as a potential target but thought it would be too easy for obvert to reinforce there. Your idea to cut the rail line is perfect, and I agree, not gamey. The game mechanics will impose disablement penalties so there is a balance to the non-base hex invasion.
But it should be a vicious fight on land, air and sea for the next several weeks - high drama for the peanut gallery!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1938
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 4:35:33 PM   
Lokasenna

Note - Wakkanai does not trigger kamikazes. Neither does Sapporo. All other coastal AFs on Hokkaido will, however.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1939
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 5:08:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Note - Wakkanai does not trigger kamikazes. Neither does Sapporo. All other coastal AFs on Hokkaido will, however.

Wakkanai is only 14 hexes from Tokyo, so that alone should trigger Kamikazes - unless this mod has different rules.
In stock, ALL the bases on Hokkaido have country code 100 which means they do not trigger reinforcements (depot divisions et al).

Edit: Oops, my bad - it is country code 101 (most of the Kuriles + half of Sakhalin) that does not trigger reinforcements. Some players feel the reinforcements don't help Japan because they eat groceries and contribute nothing to strategic defence if the Allied player does not land on the three main islands, but in this case he can bring them across to Hokkaido (once they fill out and get some experience).

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 8/5/2018 8:32:26 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1940
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 6:21:33 PM   
Canoerebel

Kamikaze activation is determined by the distance at sea (not straight line). Wakkanai is 20 sea hexes from Tokyo, so no kamikaze activation.

Country code 100 (including all of Hokkaido) means the emergency reinforcements are triggered.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1941
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 7:45:33 PM   
BillBrown

I believe that 20 is the magic number. but I count 21 hexes from Tokyo to Wakkanai, not 20.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1942
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/5/2018 9:52:15 PM   
Lokasenna

I think he meant to say "Wakkanai is more than 20."

Also, I re-counted on my zoomed-out map. I think Sapporo is in.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 1943
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 2:48:21 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Congratulations on the wedding! That must have been a great moment for you.

I have a two-year-old daughter, so I'm hoping I'll still be kicking when she ties the knot.

Good luck with the Hokkaido invasion. I sense an epic struggle about to unfold.

Cheers,
CB (formerly Commander Cody)

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1944
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 1:59:28 PM   
Bif1961

My oldest son's favorite movie was the Sound of Music as well. Good thing they don't have father son dances at weddings ... yet.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 8/6/2018 2:24:23 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1945
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 2:25:44 PM   
Canoerebel

I did an awful thing in the quiet darkness early Sunday morning. We got home from the wedding about 10:30 p.m. Saturday night. Then I ran the turn. Then, at midnight, I started preparing to teach Sunday school in the morning. I finished the lesson at 2 a.m. and thought it might be fun to watch the "Edelweiss" excerpt from The Sound of Music. How sweetly sad it was to be in the same room where we had watched that movie so many times when the children were young! That was a tough way to sign off from a busy and meaningful day.

Now, when my boys get married, I think that will be a riot! My youngest son is in a serious relationship with a really nice girl. My older son isn't currently in a relationship and seemingly has no prospects. At his age, I was in exactly that situation. Less than two years later, I was married. Now wife and I have been married for 31 years.

P.S. Erik has had the turn since early Sunday morning...I think. He's spending a lot of time with it. I haven't heard from him, but I think he'll send it sometime today.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1946
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 2:33:50 PM   
Canoerebel

The timing of this turn is a close thing.

For instance, Erik still holds Uruppu. I tried to time things so that Uruppu's fate would be sealed by the time the Wakkanai invasion took place. I didn't want him to give him an opportunity to reinforce belatedly, while my forces are drawn elsewhere. I think I succeeded, but he may try a quick and strong evacuation maneuver.

The Allied TFs are a bit spread out on L-Day. If Erik guessed right or had his air force set a certain way purely by chance, my invasion armada and some retiring bombardment TFs could be overwhelmed. But I felt like the deployments were the best way to maximize suprise, which would in turn minimize enemy fine-tuned preparation. After L-Day, Death Star should be in position to maximize protection. But multiple enemy level 9 airfields are in proximity, so the fighting should be hot and heavy.

On L-Day, nearly all Allied bombers at Toyohara and Shikuka focus on the enemy airfield at Wakkanai. I hope they (and two big bombardment TFs) can render it in operational quickly. Local sea defenses are provided by several decent combat TFs (once DS arrives, the defenses will be much stronger). Here, again, I felt like the surprise factor would minimize the risk that Erik would choose to send in big combat TFs to this base on this day.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1947
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 2:55:49 PM   
JohnDillworth

I know some of those little islands have some hefty , historical, costal forts. Does Wakkanai (or “Wakanda” as Greyjoy might have called it) have forts or is it just whatever costal defense guns might have been sent there? There are quite a few troops there and if it takes weeks to reduce you may get pretty beat up.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1948
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 3:34:42 PM   
Canoerebel

Wakkanai has a CD unit that I assume is still there (it may be static). Erik might've brought more CD units in. His garrison is 52k and forts will be at least six. The terrain is 2x.

In contrast, Uruppu might've been the tougher nut to crack (I'm hoping so) with 65k men, six forts, 3x terrain, and at least one CD unit.

I think the Uruppu ops has taken about six weeks. I'm hoping that I can slow or stymie Erik's efforts to bring in reinforcements and supply to Wakkanai. There's a chance, perhaps only a slight one, that the Allies can reduce and take the base before meaningful reinforcments arrive. If not it will be a long, tough campaign. Since there are no stacking limits, he could ram in 200k troops or more. If things turn into a real quagmire, I would consider withdrawing the invasion force to pivot elsewhere. I hope that doesn't happen, but the bottom line is that the main objective is to compel Erik to attack and fight, and for the Allies to prevail by defending capably.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/6/2018 3:35:34 PM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1949
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 8/6/2018 3:37:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Erik's air force remains very potent. His navy is in pretty bad shape. He can't afford for his navy to take a licking even if it's dealing out one at the same time.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1950
Page:   <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI