Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game making annoying sounds...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Game making annoying sounds... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game making annoying sounds... - 5/27/2001 11:55:00 AM   
Totenkopf

Sometimes the game gave me this wierd sound, like a radio out of tune, in the main menu and in gameplay. Is this a bug?

Post #: 1
- 5/27/2001 9:27:00 PM   
Stukadawg

I think those are the environmental sounds. Crickets chirping, wind blowing, that sort of stuff. Personally I like it, I'd hate to have a silent battlefield. I think they can be turned off in the preferences section.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2001 9:32:00 PM   
Warrior

Weather & Battle FX is the one to turn off. You're probably hearing the wind effect.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2001 9:47:00 PM   
fontenoy

In my own experience,there is sometimes a noise at the start of a turn when I'm playing.It sounds like feedback from a guitar amplifier.The sound stops when I click on to another unit,other than the Headquarters unit. Regards, Fontenoy.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 4
- 5/28/2001 1:00:00 AM   
Mumdaan

I know the sound you're talking about. Very screechy, verrry annoying. I've noticed that it happens mostly if i've played another game since rebooting. But.. i think the real culprit is my sblive.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 5
- 5/28/2001 1:53:00 AM   
Timo

quote:

Originally posted by Mumdaan: I know the sound you're talking about. Very screechy, verrry annoying. I've noticed that it happens mostly if i've played another game since rebooting. But.. i think the real culprit is my sblive.
Yeah, I get that too..and I also have an Sblive, on a VIA KT133 board. Timo

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 6
- 5/28/2001 2:18:00 AM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Timo: Yeah, I get that too..and I also have an Sblive, on a VIA KT133 board.
Got that once too, SBLive 5.1, VIA board as well.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 7
- 5/28/2001 3:10:00 AM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: Got that once too, SBLive 5.1, VIA board as well.
Same thing occurs too...SBLive + VIA KT133 board Colonel von Blitz

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 8
- 5/28/2001 5:59:00 AM   
crazyivan

same probplem to i have a sb live platinum with a 1.2gt-bird266front side bus and new asusmboard 266 fsb as well.it only happens when the HQ unit is selected mostly at the start of your turn.

"The best form of defence,is attack"

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 9
- 5/28/2001 6:33:00 AM   
Don

Crazyivan, We have similar - I have Live X-Gamer, 1.33ghz 266 FSB and ASUS A7M266 mobo. But, I hear that screeching ALL the time, just about on every turn. It really drives me nuts! :confused:

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 10
- 5/28/2001 9:11:00 PM   
Timo

This sure is worrying. Does this happen on any Intel-based systems? Anyone? Or with other soundcards? Timo

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 11
- 5/28/2001 10:48:00 PM   
Belisarius

Happens to me, too. But only in the Encyclopedia when going from unit info back to the index, or looking at the map after battles. :confused:

Got StuG?

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 12
- 5/29/2001 3:51:00 AM   
Mumdaan

I'm getting it with a pIII-800 on a BX motherboard with sblive x-gamer (not 5.1) And, this isn't the first sound-related problem i've had with games and my sblive. To this day, CL doesn't have a 100% certified driver set for the dang thing.. if you do a little researching, you'll find a lot of criticism of the live cards. I'm almost decided to replace mine with something else.. older SB maybe, or possibly a TB santa cruz.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 13
- 5/29/2001 2:25:00 PM   
risto.nikula

Same thing happened to mee too with cel 540 + sblive under win98se. This is a soundcard driver/win98 related problem. I haven't experienced these problems under w2000 after a month of play-testing whilst i had several problems with spwaw and other games on w98se. Yes, issues with sblive!(c) are commonly known with ANY game expecially with that darn w9x. Downloading and installing the latest live!ware(c) will most propably help. Warm spring greetings from lappland! (+-0 C in here) [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi infanus est

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 14
- 5/29/2001 2:45:00 PM   
Sturm

I have experienced the "feedback sound" as well. I run 5.01 on a laptop (AMD K-6 II 366 Mhz, 160Mb RAM) with a non-SBLive soundcard. Only happens sometimes, and usually consists of one loud burst of noise, maybe 10-20 seconds at most, and then goes back to normal. Tends to happen ONLY when the human player is active, and not necessarily connected to firing at targets.

Wacht am Bierstube

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 15
- 5/29/2001 3:22:00 PM   
risto.nikula

Yup, Agree with sturm 'there with "sound-bug" happening only in human turn. Hmm, what OS do you use Sturm? Maybe this is spwaw vs win9x issue instead of live! ? Or is there a corrupted sound file around? I cant point out a single event that triggered the "bug" that lasted for ab, 10secs (like sturm said) but i came back randomly, and only thing that helped was to restart game. maybe some in-game event triggers the bug that ghosts the game until restart, i quess. [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 16
- 5/30/2001 1:27:00 AM   
TheChin

I have the same issue, usually with leaving the encyclopedia. Since the 'e' key is so close to the 'r' rally key, I often hit it by mistake. All I have to do is make the game make another sound (like just clicking a unit) and the screech stops. (SBLive also) Oh, and if I alt-tab to windows it gets really bad and almost anything will set it off until I restart the PC. [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: TheChin ]

"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 17
- 5/30/2001 6:20:00 AM   
waynef

I have the same problem... SB DF80 card (SB LIVE)in my Dell PIII 800. This needs to be addressed by Matrix. Almost makes the game a waste. Very Disappointed with this. :(

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 18
- 5/30/2001 9:42:00 AM   
Stukadawg

I have the VIA motherboard and the SBLive X-Gamer. I get sputtering in games that use the EAX feature (Ultima IX, Unreal Tournement). I haven't heard the "feedback" noise many others are hearing(thank God). The only thing I noticed are the burning sounds interrupting and restarting. Not annoying enough to ruin the game.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 19
- 5/31/2001 5:42:00 AM   
waynef

BUMP.... ;( what can we do?

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 20
- 5/31/2001 12:46:00 PM   
mouse83

Somebody asked does intel systems have this problem. Well I have PII 350 + SB64 and I have the same problem. The sound is very quiet but annoying. It's stop when some of my unit fire or move.

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 21
- 5/31/2001 2:09:00 PM   
Don

I was getting the screeching on my old Intel PII 450 with Win98, but now it's even worse on my AMD 1.33Ghz with Win ME. Both had Live sound cards (X-gamer).

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 22
- 5/31/2001 3:26:00 PM   
risto.nikula

My sound problems went away when i chanced OS from w98se to w2000. Has anyone experienced the srceek with WinNT/W2000 systems?

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 23
- 5/31/2001 4:28:00 PM   
Sturm

quote:

Originally posted by Jolly Roger: Hmm, what OS do you use Sturm? Maybe this is spwaw vs win9x issue instead of live! ? [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]
I use Win98SE.

Wacht am Bierstube

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 24
- 5/31/2001 7:43:00 PM   
waynef

I havent seen anyone from Matrix in this thread? Should we be in Tech Support Forum? Seems like a lot of systems of differing types are having this problem, but, it seems to center around SB Live sound cards. No Fix? Nothing we can do except get new sound cards? I didnt have this problem with any other version of SPW@W. I have had them all, right up to 4.5! Why now am I having this problem? What has Matrix changed (in sound area) from 4.5 to 5.01? I cant stand that SCREACHING!!!! SCREACHING

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 25
- 6/1/2001 3:20:00 AM   
Gloo

quote:

Originally posted by waynef: ...Should we be in Tech Support Forum?...
Well, I guess so... :) Anyway, I run the game with a SB 1024 Live Player and haven't noticed any sound problem. Frankly, I suspect something like a hardware problem more likely than a software issue. By the way, I downloaded the new sounds from Peregrine Falcon website and really enjoy them. A must have!

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 26
- 6/1/2001 3:25:00 AM   
Gloo

Forgot to mention that I have a VIA chipset onboard too... .

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 27
- 6/1/2001 4:43:00 AM   
Totenkopf

So you guys think it's the SB Live sound card causing this problem? This is a pretty good sound card and I don't want to get a new one just to fix this problem. Any other ideas?

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 28
- 6/1/2001 7:51:00 AM   
DFourthHorseman

Hi. I use my 533 mhz pc, 128 ram, sblive mp3+ 5.1, under Window 98SE. I have the same problem. I've noticed that the problem is reduced when you start the game using mech.exe, it skips the intro video. Also try to close the other sounds, like battle fx, music, etc. Thanks Ruibing

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 29
- 6/1/2001 8:28:00 AM   
Spike

Well since someone asked about other sound cards - I am running WinME and have a Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzilla and haven't heard this problem.. Maybe this is related to the sample rates of a few files (one of the other threads is talking about it) Spike

(in reply to Totenkopf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Game making annoying sounds... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI