Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Command Dead?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is Command Dead? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 9:49:32 AM   
Zeus234

I firstly want to say the devs have created a fantastic simulator in CMNAO, and there success has been recognised in the professional world as well.

The question that I pose is a valid one, I notice that since the big update in May nearly 5 months ago, there has been very little from the devs as to what comes next for CMNAO. Of course some will say that they don’t need to tell the community what their plans are, and that is correct. However if you wish to maintain a good relationship with your customer base then it’s usually advisable to do so, after all companies world-wide spend huge amounts on PR in order to maintain such relationships.

The devs decided last year to tie up with slitherline, and release a professional edition, again this is entirely the devs prerogative, however it does feel slightly like now the community who played a role in getting the developers a foot into world of military training simulations, are being left to wither.
I’m not ranting and raving mad about this, but I’m saddened to see how things have gone, no free or paid updates in 6 months, not a peep except one DLC in live, nothing on Warfare Sims page or here as to the next big thing for CMANO, and IRRC correctly there was an interview with one of the Devs and it was said, some stuff might trickle down to the community version in the future.

It’s a shame as there is such a fantastic community out there as well, but CMNAO is not the same.

Ladies and Gents, I think CMANO is dead….

Regards

Zeus
Post #: 1
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:02:03 AM   
Owllord

Hi,

No. I think nothing could be further from the truth. :) Plenty of plans for the future, active development, recent expansion and Live releases.

The artist known as Owl

(in reply to Zeus234)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:09:50 AM   
Zeotix

Hello, Zeus.

I don't think the game is dead, because the DLCs show that they're working on it. Surely it's not the big updates like it was 5 months ago, but better than nothing, isn't it?

greetings
Zeotix

(in reply to Owllord)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:30:28 AM   
IainMcNeil

CMANO development is in fact more intense than at any other point in the project's lifespan. We have multiple active endeavors running in parallel, some on the commercial/civilian side, others strictly for professional use and some on both. We tend to avoid promising things for the future until they are nearly ready. Otherwise when they inevitable take longer than planned people start grumbling about vaporware :)

When professional work started new people were recruited to the team to deal with that. It hasn't hurt the commercial version at all, and in fact has enabled even more resources to be allocated for both.

As an example of the development pace, last May Command was on Build 950. The team are now on Build 971 in the internal development path, and that does not take into account various separate development branches. That's 21 build updates in 4 months!

This year we are collaborating with additional content creators to fully take advantage of Command's sprawling sim engine and its capabilities. The next expansion for Command will be announced very soon. There is a huge amount going on. Our longer term plans are unlikely to be announced as they change a lot depending on the market and world events

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to Zeotix)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:42:36 AM   
temkc5

Date / time 20/09/2017 ##:##

Sent from Temkc5

To Zeus234

Welcome to the forum Zeus234.

What a statement to make on your first day and first thread no doubt

I think somebody's trying to create a little history?

Command is very much alive so sit back relax and enjoy the Wonders that this community and the Devs have to offer.

Let me know if you need any help getting situated on the Good Ship CMANO

Sincerely
Armchair admiral Temkc5

(in reply to Zeotix)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:43:58 AM   
Zeotix

I think it's good to bring finished and functioning things, like half-finished things bring the criticism, where you spend time unnecessarily to answer the critics. Know some of the games you can find on panzerspiele.cc where the developers made this mistake and now there are no more games.

But I can also understand the players who are waiting patiently for fresh content and who already like the answers you gave Iain, because they know what's going on in the background, which they can look forward to.

Thank you for the detailed answer! Do you already tell us a little bit about what "could" happen in the 21 builds?

< Message edited by Zeotix -- 9/28/2017 12:06:02 PM >

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:52:25 AM   
AlGrant

I for one think you are wrong.

quote:

It’s a shame as there is such a fantastic community out there as well, but CMNAO is not the same.

Good that you acknowledge the contribution of the CMANO community .... such pity this is the first time you decided to be a part of it. Unless of course you joined today and posted your CMANO is dead post as a deliberate troll!

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Zeus234)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 11:32:33 AM   
Zeotix

I don't think that this is a troll forum, because its post already had too much content, the game is specifically appropriate. I am also still rightly new here in the forum and since unfortunately many areas of the forum have been in ruins for many months, it is not so easy to find the start.

But I agree with you, for the first post in the forum the appearance is already quite specially chosen to formulate this nice.

Certainly there are also some players who only read in the forum and they will be happy to know that the posting of Zeus resulted in the news, that the information has arrived, that the game is being worked on in the background and that the next update will be a little bit bigger.

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 11:58:15 AM   
kevinkins

I think the pace of the LIVE franchise would be sufficient to indicate that Command is not at all Dead and actually thriving.

(in reply to Zeotix)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 12:53:06 PM   
Dysta

If professionalization is a death-sentence to video games, then I could only agree if the whole game design is only for profiteering than everything else.

For CMANO, that is very far from it.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 1:23:38 PM   
Zeus234

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

CMANO development is in fact more intense than at any other point in the project's lifespan. We have multiple active endeavors running in parallel, some on the commercial/civilian side, others strictly for professional use and some on both. We tend to avoid promising things for the future until they are nearly ready. Otherwise when they inevitable take longer than planned people start grumbling about vaporware :)

When professional work started new people were recruited to the team to deal with that. It hasn't hurt the commercial version at all, and in fact has enabled even more resources to be allocated for both.

As an example of the development pace, last May Command was on Build 950. The team are now on Build 971 in the internal development path, and that does not take into account various separate development branches. That's 21 build updates in 4 months!

This year we are collaborating with additional content creators to fully take advantage of Command's sprawling sim engine and its capabilities. The next expansion for Command will be announced very soon. There is a huge amount going on. Our longer term plans are unlikely to be announced as they change a lot depending on the market and world events

Iain,

Thanks for your prompt rely, to my post, it is good to know that there are developemnts in the works, and I do appreciate the position that the Devs are in.

As always I do look forward to the next update.

quote:

ORIGINAL: temkc5

Date / time 20/09/2017 ##:##

Sent from Temkc5

To Zeus234

Welcome to the forum Zeus234.

What a statement to make on your first day and first thread no doubt

I think somebody's trying to create a little history?

Command is very much alive so sit back relax and enjoy the Wonders that this community and the Devs have to offer.

Let me know if you need any help getting situated on the Good Ship CMANO

Sincerely
Armchair admiral Temkc5

Thank you Temkc5, I have lurked as a guest on the forum for a while, but felt that I would take the plunge and post the above question, in light of my percieved "slow down" in news from the Devs.

Regards

Zeus

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

I for one think you are wrong.

quote:

Good that you acknowledge the contribution of the CMANO community .... such pity this is the first time you decided to be a part of it. Unless of course you joined today and posted your CMANO is dead post as a deliberate troll!

Al, not at all , I have no intention of being a troll, I have seen a fair few threads that have been blatant trolls. TBH I would rather spend my time playing/building scenarios than start pointless arguements.

Regards

Zeus

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 1:41:47 PM   
stilesw

-Mark Twain, May 31, 1897

"The report of my death was an exaggeration.”

-CMANO, September 20, 2017

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zeus234)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 2:26:44 PM   
mikmykWS

I don't agree that Command is dead but the tone on the forum has definitely changed and more than one poster has noticed this.

I'll be working on posting about the fun I'm now having with Command and trying to get others to have more fun with it. That's really why we're here once the game is bought.

There is a Facebook group that's really active and has the great feature of being able to silent block users etc. I think this helps a lot.

Mike

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 13
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 2:53:44 PM   
Sigma8510

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

I don't agree that Command is dead but the tone on the forum has definitely changed and more than one poster has noticed this.

I'll be working on posting about the fun I'm now having with Command and trying to get others to have more fun with it. That's really why we're here once the game is bought.

There is a Facebook group that's really active and has the great feature of being able to silent block users etc. I think this helps a lot.

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Really appreciate your efforts! Command is just starting to realize all its potential. We have many years of fun and learning ahead of us.

I rediscovered the block feature in these forums. What a world of difference it makes.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 14
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 3:40:15 PM   
mikmykWS

A great just found it here as well

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to Sigma8510)
Post #: 15
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 4:06:35 PM   
Airborne Rifles

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Mike

By the way, Mike, I think the CoW scenarios were yours? Those have been seriously kick ass! Looking forward to what comes next so I can throw more money at the devs .

< Message edited by Airborne Rifles -- 9/20/2017 4:07:28 PM >

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 16
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 4:41:16 PM   
mikmykWS

Yeah CoW was mine but had tons of help from the greatest beta team ever and dev help from Dimitris, Baloogan and Paul. It was a great way to end my work at Warfaresims.

I'm now lucky enough to support it as a hobby and free enough to pursue all the other things on my punch list. I could not have asked for a better outcome.

Anyways expect some scenarios and more lua stuff soon. Lots of stuff I want to do I never have the time for!

Mike

(in reply to Airborne Rifles)
Post #: 17
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 8:24:36 PM   
Primarchx

What a weird thing to say. Next week we're coming up on Command's FOURTH anniversary. Low-cost DLCs and free updates continue to be available from the original developers. The feature set in place today compared to launch-day are staggering and are still in motion.

(in reply to mikmykWS)
Post #: 18
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 9:49:47 PM   
Randomizer

Some people require eye-rolling drama and much existential angst in their Internet experience. Play the damn game and quit pontificating over its demise...

-C

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 19
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 10:32:19 PM   
eleos

Are you kidding me? Command is dead????
Just watch the early videos of CMANO at Stoic Frog Gaming channel in youtube, and the latest ones and yu can see lots of diferences between the early and the latest versions of the game.
In fact its potential is limitless. It is true that there is a stall in updating the game during summer, but let me ask you something. Don't you want to have some free time from your everyday routine?

Go on Dev team. Give us some new headache!!!!

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 20
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/20/2017 11:22:03 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

A dead game is a game where the developers formally halt development and support, as well as the player base being largely gone, with remaining players not having much of community, or none at all.

For example, World in Conflict(2007) is sadly a dead game, formally since the servers were killed, preventing any more multiplayer forever. No more support or patches, no more multiplayer. That is a dead game.

CMANO is far from dead. Support is still alive and well. There is no evidence of there not being new content coming down the pipeline. Remember that the dev team is not huge like the AAA games that can have several updates and changes in a couple months. Quality stuff takes time to make.

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 9/20/2017 11:35:32 PM >

(in reply to eleos)
Post #: 21
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/21/2017 12:12:27 AM   
Rory Noonan

Obviously the game is not dead.

However, to play devil's advocate, I do recall that there were more frequent updates in the past. To someone who doesn't have any other indication of the attention given to the game by developers except the frequency at which updates are released, it could appear that things are slowing down.

In reality there is the same if not more attention being paid to the game as evidenced by Iain's mention of the 21 development builds in the past 4 months.

To be clear I'm not saying the game is overdue for an update or anything along those lines, just that to someone who is 'out-of-the-loop' it might appear that things have slowed down, incorrect as that assumption is.

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 22
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/21/2017 1:11:58 AM   
ultradave

And here I was thinking that DLC and Live content keeps coming out faster than I can keep up with it, what with real life getting in the way. Dead? I'm not seeing it.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 23
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/21/2017 2:25:33 AM   
Gunner98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 24
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/21/2017 11:08:16 AM   
neno

One of the devs, Dimitris, said today that the new patch is coming "pretty soon", so no, Command is not dead.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 25
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/22/2017 8:55:13 AM   
zaytsev

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYV-qYeWPkk

ready, aim .....wait!! , ... continue with execution.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 26
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/22/2017 9:44:45 AM   
Sardaukar

Plus new Community Scenario Pack just came out. Must be dead...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to zaytsev)
Post #: 27
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/22/2017 5:05:01 PM   
CV60

Variations on the theme, by Leonard McCoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7KYmGnj40

< Message edited by CV60 -- 9/22/2017 5:06:40 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 28
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/22/2017 10:00:38 PM   
fortyporkpies

word to your bombs

< Message edited by fortyporkpies -- 9/23/2017 5:30:47 AM >

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 29
RE: Is Command Dead? - 9/25/2017 5:36:35 PM   
Zaslon

We used to get new builds in short periods of time. This year, the number of builds are being decreased so, it looks like the development is now slower than in the past, but it is only a perception.

Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China

(in reply to fortyporkpies)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Is Command Dead? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI