Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How I'd like to see the Rarity option work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How I'd like to see the Rarity option work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How I'd like to see the Rarity option work - 5/16/2003 9:33:29 AM   
Tequila

*minor rant on *

I love the concept of rarity, I just hate the way it's implemented in this game. I wish it wasn't so random and instead represented an approximation to how many units were actually produced. For instance I restarted the WF campaign over because I felt wierd for having so many Tiger tanks. The first time I started over I was only allowed 2 Tigers... I thought this was cool, more of a real respresntation of Tiger production considering less that 2,000 were made. But for kicks I started over and tried again and this time I was allowed to pick 10 Tiger tanks! Huh?!? Started over again and this time wasn't allowed any. The more I played with it the more it just plain ****** me off. Sometimes the most common thing isn't available.

What I think would neat is to remove the randomness of it and try to match the real world numbers based on the campaign. For instance if I was allowed only 2 Tigers and 3-4 Panthers in WF and had to spend the rest on Stugs and PzIVs then great I can live with it. Sure I could turn rarity off and try to enforce the numbers myself but then I don't really know what numbers are reasonable based on the time.

I know it sounds silly, but I would I would feel more comfortable having the campaign decide for me just how many units were available at the time rather than having to guess. The randomness of the way it's currently implemented just makes it more frustrating and I end up just turning it off. It's also a pain when you use Rarity and select a formation to see how the money flow is and then delete the formation causing it to be permenantely gone :(

Anyway, I don't know if others feel the same way I do so I'm not sure if anyone cares...probably not hehe

*minor rant off * :)
Post #: 1
- 5/16/2003 9:52:26 AM   
KG Erwin

Tequila, let me express a contrary view. I like to play long campaigns, and for argument's sake I would like to feel that units are sent to battle initally at close to TOE strength. Therefore, for a long campaign, I set TRUE TROOP ON/RARITY OFF. If you want to get around the rarity resrictions, set your preferences like this. If you play against the AI, the rarity restrictions don't affect the computer opponent, and you will get some tough battles as you upgrade. Setting rarity ON when playing the AI can give you some strange AI force selections. Others may feel differently, bu this setting works for me most of the time. With rarity off you might even get attacked by enemy planes in an early scen.

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2003 1:19:05 PM   
Belisarius

You know, you're not forced to buy 10 Tigers just because you can..... ;)

Rarity works that way. I find it reasonable - some lucky commandes could very well have 10 Tigers at their disposal even if the total number is low. Others might have to do with StuGs instead...

Got StuG?

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2003 8:28:18 PM   
Irinami

Or you could just grab a TOE and outfit your unit directly to that. Then hit the Nations button, set Rarity back on, and play that way.

I would prefer if Rarity worked as such:

The Rarity rating is a ratio of how many points of this unit type you can buy per, say, 1,000 purchase points. If you try to buy more, the cost is mutiplied by one more. EG, your PanzerValkyrieVagen (or PVV--completely fictional!!) costs 100 points and has a ratio of 500/1000. So you buy 5 PVV's, and each costs 100 * 1 = 100 points. When you buy the sixth one, it's cost is 100 (base cost) * 2 (add 1 to the multiplier) = 200. The seventh is 100 * 3 = 300. And so-on. That way you can get more, but you pay for the unbalancing effect. At some point, you will hit diminishing returns.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2003 9:22:46 PM   
Sturmpionier

Super idea Irinami. I am often influenced by my old panzer general days. What do the "points" in SP really stand for? It isn't cash; you don't actually buy them and take them home when you're down (how cool would that be?) I liked PG's idea of 'prestige.' The better you do in battle equals more stroke with the brass for new equip. Conceivably, you get all 2,000 Tigers assigned to you over the course of the war. But using Irinami's method, you would have to be 'the man.'

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 5
- 5/16/2003 11:21:57 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Always more than one way to virtually anything.

For those wanting a rival opinion on rarity, I would suggest consulting an ASL fanatic (me being one of them heheh) about getting a copy of the ASL rarity charts from the game.

The game rates all the units, give them a flat rate cost, which is modified by a rarity factor keyed to the actual date. So if Tigers were rare today, but not tomorrow, and in the future became rare again, the cost will reflect this.

Now to implement this in the game, you would of course have to have the games rarity turned off, and just buy your units based on using the numbers from ASL to guide your purchase.

Goofy sounding idea maybe, but it would indeed work. That, and the system does indeed of course work in ASL. Of course, there will naturally be those, that don't like the ASL nmbers. But there will always be those, that say such and such a game's numbers are inaccurate.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 6
- 5/17/2003 7:45:12 AM   
Wolfleader

In truth the only problem I've had with rarities is the fact that vehicle rarity doesn't apply for upgrading your units in between battles during campaigns.

This means that while you could probably only purchase 1 or 2 platoons of King Tigers for support in a mission, you could still easily uprade your 2 to 3 companies of PzIII's to King Tigers with no trouble provided you have the purchase points to do so.

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 7
- 5/17/2003 8:02:34 AM   
Irinami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wolfleader
[B]... you could still easily uprade your 2 to 3 companies of PzIII's...[/B][/QUOTE]

Or Mule Packs. :D :D :D :D

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

"Unteroffizer, you haff ten minutes to take zeese carcasses to zee mess clerk. You are being upgraded to zee King Tiger!"

"Yahvul!! But sir..."

"Yah?"

"What do you feed zee King Tiger?"

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 8
- 5/17/2003 8:47:23 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irinami
[B]"Yahvul!! But sir..."

"Yah?"

"What do you feed zee King Tiger?" [/B][/QUOTE]

M4's.

Goblin:D

(in reply to Tequila)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How I'd like to see the Rarity option work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI