Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Understandings rd factories

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Understandings rd factories Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Understandings rd factories - 1/12/2018 5:25:34 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMonkey

I understand. I do not use all of my research factories because I cannot afford the supply to repair them. I do not think Japan can support repairing all it's R&D factories to 30. It costs a huge amount of supply to do that, and then even more to expand and repair the engine factories.

I don't think anybody will ever know for sure, too many variable not least how the war is going.

Using my current idea of only expanding when am a/c is within 1 year of its original due date has meant I've not had any supply problems but I am only playing the AI.

(in reply to InfiniteMonkey)
Post #: 181
RE: Understandings rd factories - 1/13/2018 5:05:02 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: InfiniteMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

The Helen gets armor, a bit more range, and slightly superior defensive guns as compared to the Sally.

My point is that since these A/C are so similar, that its not really worth the investment to bring the Helen to operation as the only air-frame to use the Ha-34 engine in scen2. Might as well just go straight for the Peggy, which IIRC is the next Japanese army bomber.

I see your point in Scen 2, though even then I see advantages to the Helen.

- Armor is a big deal. I thought about skipping the Helen and going straight to the Peggy even in Scenario 1, but the Peggy arrives 2 years after the Helen. If the armor reduces my losses even 10%, over nearly 2 years that's a lot fewer planes and pilots to replace.
- From a payload perspective the IJA and IJN never get better bombers - everything tops out at 4 x 250kg bombs (Sally/Helen). The Peggy is actually a step down (3 x 250kg). In terms of putting bombs on target, you have to send an extra 1/3 the number bombers with the Peggy to get the same bomb load as the Helen. Of course, the Peggy adds speed (huge in air combat model) and range (11/13 goes up to 14/17) so at ranges 12 & 13 the Peggy carries a bigger load and can still strike at ranges 14-17. I see the Helen not so much being replaced by the Peggy as being augmented by it.

OK, I can see your points as well.

From my standpoint, while armor may be a 'big deal', I'm not so sure when it comes to bombers. Once Allied fighters get to my bombers I find they're toast. In addition if the speed of the Peggy reduces my losses by just 10%, well...

Also while the Peggy does have a reduced bomb load its supply costs will also be reduced. One supply for every 2K load capacity, IIRC the Peggy's load is less than 2k, while the Helen is ~2200. In addition to all that one model of the Peggy will carry torps, much better to sink ships, as opposed to bombs.

In the end its all a matter of personal preferences, and game style anyway. A thousand players, a thousand ways to play, as I like to say. Enjoy

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to InfiniteMonkey)
Post #: 182
RE: Understandings rd factories - 1/13/2018 5:18:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

4. Conversely, every day you delay the Frank, you cost yourself supply. Every fighter you lose that could have been a Frank instead of a Tojo or Oscar or whatever is a aircraft you have to replace in the air group (costs supply) and probably a pilot you have to train (which will cost you supply in training sorties). The Franks's superior performance means they will survive far more encounters than the aircraft it replaces. Delaying the Frank by months wipes out supply and gives your opponent free VP.

While all this is good, there's one factor you are omitting. The Frank has a high SR which the player will have to compensate for, and that's not that easy. Low SR A/C like the Oscar and/or Tojo will be required throughout any campaign.

quote:

3. In previous games I've expanded every factory at the start and ran out of supply everytime. You need supply elsewhere other these factories so I decided to control supply use this way rather than stave my front line troops. Maybe I was a little excessive on how I went about it but my decision was based on my misconception of point 2. I still say you do not have enough supply to expand immediately though and something has to give.

This is not the only factor that will effect you supply levels. Don't forget industry (if you do such) expansion, aircraft themselves, engines, and whatnot. All this, if not handled well, will 'sink your ship', so to speak. In my current AI game I got a little too ambitious and my supply 'reached my critical level'. So much so that I had to curtail some ops a bit. Not a big deal in an AI game. Good 'lessons learned' experience for future games. So for me at least I just got things a little out of balance. Hey, that's what playing Japan is all about, balance.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 183
RE: Understandings rd factories - 1/13/2018 5:20:01 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Not sure if the guide is still up to date, but...

Found it in my archives - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjas0l4bpwns0hw/A%20Japanese%20Production%20Primer%20v1-1.pdf?dl=0

Klink, Oberst

I still believe that guide has a great deal of value for new players and would highly recommend it be read.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 184
RE: Understandings rd factories - 1/13/2018 6:02:03 PM   
InfiniteMonkey

quote:

From my standpoint, while armor may be a 'big deal', I'm not so sure when it comes to bombers. Once Allied fighters get to my bombers I find they're toast. In addition if the speed of the Peggy reduces my losses by just 10%, well...

No doubt. It is not so much a question for me of Peggy vs Helen. For me, it is Sally vs Helen. It is whether I want the Helen's armor and bit of extra range for that 12-18 months until I get the Peggy. If the Peggy came sooner, I'd likely make the same choice you do given the engine situation.

quote:

Also while the Peggy does have a reduced bomb load its supply costs will also be reduced. One supply for every 2K load capacity, IIRC the Peggy's load is less than 2k, while the Helen is ~2200. In addition to all that one model of the Peggy will carry torps, much better to sink ships, as opposed to bombs.

In scenario 1, all 3 models of the Ki-67 have a max load of 2360.

quote:

In the end its all a matter of personal preferences, and game style anyway. A thousand players, a thousand ways to play, as I like to say. Enjoy

Agreed.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 185
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Understandings rd factories Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI