Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: JFB in charge of the USN???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/25/2017 10:43:42 PM   
Kitakami

Jan 18th, 1942

The IJN CVEs surried back to where they came from, so the Allied Carrier Force (2x USN CV, 2x USN CLV, 2x ANZAC CAV) did not find any targets. Well, them be the breaks. I do not think they were spotted, so no harm done.

This was the last turn before the storm. With all the IJA forces downloaded in Palembang, and all the IJN ships in the region, it will not stop until I am kicked out of Palembang. I just hope that the oilfields and refineries are damaged enough for all this to be worth it (house rule: Allies can't do strat bombing in originally Allied bases).

There was only one week sunk during the turn, the Dutch HDML P10.

In the air, the strategy of contesting the air only over friendly bases paid off. Many wounded pilots, but few dead ones.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 301
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/25/2017 10:47:39 PM   
Kitakami

Air losses continue to favor the Allies. The Zeroes have stepped back, and it is now the turn of IJA fighters to feel the heat. Although fighter losses are about equal, I am not losing the bombers that my esteemed opponent is losing... at least not yet. Next turn things will be much different.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 302
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/25/2017 10:51:21 PM   
Kitakami

The gap in total losses continues to increase. We will see what Japan does as time passes. Will Falken increase airframe production, consuming his reserves, or will he resist the temptation and keep a level head?

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 303
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/25/2017 11:05:41 PM   
Kitakami

The DEI:
Next turn all hell will break lose in Palembang. 38th IJA Inf Div is mostly downloaded (it took them only two days!), and I am sure the Japanese will attack. To help offset Japanese numbers (42k enemy troops), I have ordered everything that can fly to do what they can. All Torp and DB planes will strike, as will all level bombers. I am extremely light on fighters, but I threw it all in too.

We will see what will come of it.

Malaya:
Only Fortress Singapore remains. 17 enemy units numbering 23k troops, 260 guns and 100 AFVs are in Johore Bahru. There is an additional IJA Rgt 1 hex east of Kuala Lumpur. I do not think that will be enough, but we will see.

The Philippines:
There are now 30k enemy troops in Manila, supported by 250 guns and 80 AFVs, so no Allied attacks there. There are another 15k troops in Battan (they just took it), and they will be in Manila soon, no doubt.

In Mindanao, the little supply that flowed into Oroquieta was quickly consumed and not enough. The enemy has also arived at the base. It will not last long.

Burma:
There are 10 enemy units 1 hex SE of Pegu. I see a movement arrow to the NE. I will send a division one hex NE of Pegu, to screen them behind the river. This is cat and mouse.

China:
Running low on supplies. The Burma road is open, and the few transport planes I have available in India are flying supplies over the Hump (and the rest are being transported to the theater), but it is not enough. Chengchow is running very low, while Wenchow and Nanyang are low. Tsiaotso is also not flush with food and ammo, but the enemy seems to be retreating there, perhaps to reinforce Chengchow.

The Solomons, Papua New Guinea, and islands nearby:
Nothing much there, and at this point no news are great news.

Bases Lost:
Bataan, Bacolod, Basilian and Tablas.

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/25/2017 11:08:22 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 304
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 1:26:25 AM   
Kitakami

Jan 20th, 1942

Just got the combat report. Most of what I planned and ordered did NOT go according to plan, and still the turn went to the Allies I think. A taste of what happened on land:

Japanese Deliberate attack at Palembang (48,91)
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 1)
Japanese ground losses:
* 4067 casualties reported
*** Squads: 16 destroyed, 413 disabled
*** Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 31 disabled
*** Engineers: 1 destroyed, 41 disabled
*** Guns lost 49 (3 destroyed, 46 disabled)
*** Vehicles lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
* 383 casualties reported
*** Squads: 16 destroyed, 42 disabled
*** Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 38 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Japanese Deliberate attack at Manila (79,77)
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 157 (fort level 1)
Japanese ground losses:
* 5477 casualties reported
*** Squads: 164 destroyed, 97 disabled
*** Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 57 disabled
*** Engineers: 36 destroyed, 33 disabled
*** Guns lost 51 (20 destroyed, 31 disabled)
*** Vehicles lost 22 (5 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
* 311 casualties reported
*** Squads: 1 destroyed, 18 disabled
*** Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 13 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
*** Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 305
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 1:39:16 AM   
Kitakami

And this is some of what happened at sea:

Day 1:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Batavia at 49,97
Allied aircraft losses
*** A-24 Banshee: 4 damaged
*** A-24 Banshee: 2 destroyed by flak
Japanese Ships
*** BB Yamashiro, Bomb hits 5
*** BB Fuso, Bomb hits 3

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Palembang at 48,91
Allied aircraft losses
*** A-24 Banshee: 2 damaged
Japanese Ships
*** CL Suzuya, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
*** CA Mikuma, Bomb hits 4, on fire
*** CL Ishikari, Bomb hits 2, on fire
*** DD Hatsuyuki, Bomb hits 1, on fire
*** DD Fubuki, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CA Mikuma
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Fubuki

Day 2:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Palembang at 48,91
Allied aircraft losses
*** A-24 Banshee: 10 damaged
*** A-24 Banshee: 1 destroyed by flak
Japanese Ships
*** CL Chikuma, Bomb hits 1
*** CL Ishikari, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires
*** CL Sendai, Bomb hits 1, on fire
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CL Ishikari
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CL Sendai

All bombs were 1000 lb

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/26/2017 1:41:17 AM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 306
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 3:43:41 AM   
BBfanboy

Nice results ... except at Palembang. You disabled a lot of his squads but destroyed squads were equal - which is proportionately much worse for you. He can rest a day or two to recover some of his disablements and attack with a better advantage next time. Manila definitely was a victory for you!

Pretty good results with the naval attacks. Four hits on Mikuma puts her in jeopardy but not necessarily sunk. Too bad bombs were wasted on those BBs!
BTW, the Banshees did not deliver torpedoes, so was it Vildebeests that hit Suzuya?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 307
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 11:35:50 AM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Nice results ... except at Palembang. You disabled a lot of his squads but destroyed squads were equal - which is proportionately much worse for you. He can rest a day or two to recover some of his disablements and attack with a better advantage next time. Manila definitely was a victory for you!

Pretty good results with the naval attacks. Four hits on Mikuma puts her in jeopardy but not necessarily sunk. Too bad bombs were wasted on those BBs!
BTW, the Banshees did not deliver torpedoes, so was it Vildebeests that hit Suzuya?

Palembang
Yes, the losses at Palembang are a bit worrisome yes. But after taking a look at who suffered them, I breathed a little easier (though not much):

- 18th Brit Inf Div went from an AV of 397 to an AV of 398.
- Pakanbaroe Cdo went from 30 to 27
- Palembang Cdo went from 29 to 27.
- Padang went from 27 to 26.
- W Borneo Knil Bn went from 18 to 4.
- Riow Cdo went from 18 to 11.
- Lahat Cdo remained at 16.
- Djambi Cdo went from 4 to 0.

At least the Brits are holding their own.

Question: should I withdraw the units that reach an AV of 0? I could withdraw them to the other side of the river to regain some fighting strength.

Manila
Had I been playing Japan, I would not have attacked. Three things I learned NOT to do as a Japanese player. First, not to attack before divisions are reconstituted. Second, not to attack with high disruption and/or fatigue. Third, to bombard enemy supply first, and then go in for the kill. At the very least, two of those are needed to help you succeed. In this case, at most one was present, so the results were terrible (for the Japanese).

The Big Boys are probably in great shape, but one DD, a CL and a CA are most likely in trouble. There is a three-ship TF slowly leaving the area, and those are probably the cripples. I will try to intercept with subs.

Will take a look at the turn, and then post the results.

EDIT: It was the Swordfish planes that scored the two torp hits.

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/26/2017 11:49:13 AM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 308
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 11:49:20 AM   
obvert

Good job at Palembang!!

A question: Did you train your Abnshee pilots for Naval Bombing? I've just been sequestering mine and using them to bomb land targets until I have the pilots ready at 60-70 Naval skill. They did some impressive work there though!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 309
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 11:53:02 AM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
Good job at Palembang!!

A question: Did you train your Abnshee pilots for Naval Bombing? I've just been sequestering mine and using them to bomb land targets until I have the pilots ready at 60-70 Naval skill. They did some impressive work there though!

Yes, I did. I also decided not to toss them away trying to get a ship here, and a ship there. I kept them in training, as safe as I could, and have used them only twice, both times to good effect. It was the only way to get 50+ of them to fly at the same time and have decent aim.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 310
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 1:15:56 PM   
ny59giants

China: Supplies will always be tight until the end of the war. You should attack very rarely. Don't try to repair all that industry. I try to get Chungking to 2x supplies so I can steadily soak up those 350 infantry squads per month. Where is his main push right now?? Find that 3x terrain and allow your troops to build forts there.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 311
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 3:22:47 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants
China: Supplies will always be tight until the end of the war. You should attack very rarely. Don't try to repair all that industry. I try to get Chungking to 2x supplies so I can steadily soak up those 350 infantry squads per month. Where is his main push right now?? Find that 3x terrain and allow your troops to build forts there.

Chungking's supply level is at almost 30k. So far, infantry squads have been reinforcing the units that were bought out with PPs and transferred to Burma/China. I have 55 squads in the pool, with 483 already used.

His pushes were several at start: Wuchow, Wenchow, Nanyang, and Chengchow. He could not advance in so many fronts at the same time. He is now focusing on Chengchow, which he will eventually take, hopefully with most industry destroyed. It will be a costly battle, but one I am fighting to delay, not to win. Same in the other cities in clear I have decided to defend. Delay, delay, delay. Make him spend supplies, make him want to reinforce China, not ship troops out.

Question: does a point come when withdrawing from a battle that will be lost in a Chinese city is best?

As for defensive positions, with very few exceptions my choices are mountain and forest-rough. I also try to use rivers as defenses whenever possible. We will see.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 312
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 3:31:50 PM   
BBfanboy

There are two ways of looking at your question:
1. abandoning the city gives the enemy a location they can use as an airfield to attack you and perhaps a rail stop they can use to rapidly bring in more troops and supply - but you get better supply for your troops in non-city terrain.

2. staying in the city gives your AV a terrain boost with UL or UH terrain. If it is on an unimpeded rail line or good grey road set it will get some supply too.
Your units here may be doomed (get surrounded and ground down by siege), but at start most Chinese troops have poor morale and experience so their loss and replacement by new recruits is not a great loss. China gets so many new troops (350 squads a month) that losing a couple of corps is no big deal.

Chungking is your main base for replacement troop arrival and should be your Alamo position.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 313
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 9:47:12 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
There are two ways of looking at your question:
1. abandoning the city gives the enemy a location they can use as an airfield to attack you and perhaps a rail stop they can use to rapidly bring in more troops and supply - but you get better supply for your troops in non-city terrain.

2. staying in the city gives your AV a terrain boost with UL or UH terrain. If it is on an unimpeded rail line or good grey road set it will get some supply too.
Your units here may be doomed (get surrounded and ground down by siege), but at start most Chinese troops have poor morale and experience so their loss and replacement by new recruits is not a great loss. China gets so many new troops (350 squads a month) that losing a couple of corps is no big deal.

Chungking is your main base for replacement troop arrival and should be your Alamo position.

Ok, I guess the poor Chinese soldiers will have to toughen up. Orders are to stand until the enemy kicks them out. Thanks!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 314
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 9:51:13 PM   
Kitakami

Jan 20th, 1942

An interesting turn. I though my air losses would be much higher, so the dice kami must have smiled upon the allies. Pilot losses were a bit higher though, although I can't really complain.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 315
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 9:55:20 PM   
Kitakami

Air losses were lower than expected. Still I am losing so many fighter airframes (many more air frames than pilots), that replacements are not enough. I need reinforcements too, but I am unwilling to throw raw recruits to the meat grinder. Fighter losses were 16 Allied to 5 Japanese.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 316
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/26/2017 10:11:05 PM   
Kitakami

Bases Lost:
Zambonga, Emirau Island, and Bengkalis were lost.

The DEI:
Palembang's combat report is a few posts up, but suffice it to say I thought I would lose the base. I didn't, even if few of my bombers flew. Most Allied losses were Dutch, so the Brits can still put up a good fight. We will see what the next few turns bring.

Malaya:
There are almost 69k Japanese troops facing Singapore, so attack must be imminent. 460+ guns and 360 AFVs (plus HQs, I am sure) are with them. All told, 26 enemy units. It is not going to be pretty.

The Philippines:
The Japanese assault on Manila can be found in the same post as the attack on Palembang. Much higher Japanese losses. There are 32k Japanese troops in Manila, along 250+ guns and 90+ AFVs. It is only a matter of time, but I will delay the inevitable as much as I can.

In Mindanao, Oroquieta was bombarded, but still stands. Every turn those troops survive is one more turn I have delayed my esteemed opponent.

Burma:
One Japanese unit is now in the hex E of Pegu, and others (don't know how many) are moving there. An Inf Div will be facing them on the other side of the river next turn.

China:
Japanese bombardment of Pucheng, but not much else.

2x Mar Inf Rgts, 1x CD Arty, and 1x AA Arty units are now defending Luganville. HQs, ENGs, and fighters to follow. Got in there before the Japanese did, and now it won't be an easy target. Fortification building has begun.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 317
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/27/2017 3:15:54 PM   
Kitakami

Jan 22nd, 1942

A very good turn for the allies on the ground. In the air it is a losing proposition, but on the ground we are doing ok... for the moment. At least pilot losses continue to be low.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 318
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/27/2017 3:18:32 PM   
Kitakami

Airframe losses are still a touch higher for Japan, but the number is higher because of ops losses. Allied combat losses are higher.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 319
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/27/2017 3:37:46 PM   
Kitakami

I have not shown accumulated airframe losses in a few turns because, frankly, it is just more of the same. I think I will restrict myself to quarterly reports on that from now on. Meanwhile:

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 320
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/27/2017 3:57:02 PM   
Kitakami

Bases Lost:

Tacloban, Tagbilaran, and Tarakan. Did my esteemed opponent choose which bases to take based on the first two letters of their names?

The DEI:

As expected, Tarakan did not last long. Also, it seems there was no damage done to either the oil fields or the refineries, both at 90(25).

Japanese Deliberate attack at Tarakan (67,91) and CAPTURE Tarakan!!!

Japanese ground losses:
* 31 casualties reported
*** Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Allied ground losses:
* 357 casualties reported
*** Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
*** Non Combat: 20 destroyed, 3 disabled
*** Engineers: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
*** Guns lost 33 (33 destroyed, 0 disabled)
* Units retreated 3

Retreating units are now in Tanjoengselor, with half-decent supplies. Will my esteemed opponent risk a river crossing, or will he reload his transports and do an amphibious invasion? Either way, that SNLF Assault Div is getting delayed, and will be unavailable for other duties for about a week.

What was unexpected was that Falken attacked Palembang again. I thought he would let his troops rest for a few days. The result was not what he expected:

Japanese Deliberate attack at Palembang (48,91)

Japanese ground losses:
* 2226 casualties reported
*** Squads: 84 destroyed, 55 disabled
*** Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 68 disabled
*** Engineers: 21 destroyed, 3 disabled
*** Guns lost 31 (26 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
* 778 casualties reported
*** Squads: 9 destroyed, 39 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
*** Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Allied AV went from 509 to 462. Forts from 1.76 to 2.13

Malaya:

I thought I would have 1-2 more turns before the Japanese would cross into Singapore. I was wrong.

Japanese Shock attack at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese ground losses:
* 5192 casualties reported
*** Squads: 16 destroyed, 346 disabled
*** Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 52 disabled
*** Engineers: 8 destroyed, 32 disabled
*** Guns lost 39 (1 destroyed, 38 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
* 56 casualties reported
*** Squads: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied AV went from 893 to 893. Forts from 3.59 to 3.62

IJA Imperial Guards decided to cross the river by itself. Little was destroyed, but that number of disabled squads is not to be taken lightly. More Japanese units are to follow. This is the beginning of the end, but Fortress Singapore will sell their lives dearly. My only regret is that I did not reconstitute the 9th Indian Inf Div, as bigger units are more resilient. On the other hand, at least one of the attacking divisions will not be able to do the same either, as its Recce element was destroyed.

The Philippines:

Manila was attacked, and it was not a pretty picture either (for Japan, that is):

Japanese Deliberate attack at Manila (79,77)

Japanese ground losses:
* 3537 casualties reported
*** Squads: 146 destroyed, 157 disabled
*** Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 57 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
*** Guns lost 46 (26 destroyed, 20 disabled)
*** Vehicles lost 16 (13 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
* 103 casualties reported
*** Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
*** Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied AV went from 1516 to 1532. Forts from 2.07 to 2.40

In Mindanao, the remaining Allied troops are awaiting the next, possibly final, attack, which did not come last turn.

Burma:

All sighted Japanese units in the theater moved to the hex east of Pegu, but the 17th Indian Inf Div is staring them down from the other side of the river. Will they attempt to cross? Will they try to continue northwards?

China:

Trying to get used to the fact that supplies will be low for the duration of the war. Still, the Chinese can defend themselves with dadaos if need be (look them up, nasty close combat weapons). This is what happened:

Japanese Deliberate attack at Chengchow (88,44)

Japanese ground losses:
* 2031 casualties reported
*** Squads: 44 destroyed, 92 disabled
*** Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 84 disabled
*** Engineers: 2 destroyed, 20 disabled
*** Guns lost 18 (13 destroyed, 5 disabled)
*** Vehicles lost 50 (22 destroyed, 28 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
* 748 casualties reported
*** Squads: 30 destroyed, 67 disabled
*** Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 16 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
*** Guns lost 14 (1 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Allied AV went from 1316 to 1225. Forts from 2.39 to 2.05. This battle will be lost, but the longer it takes, the better for me. The stars of the show are the Chinese engineers. Fort level comes down? They build it back up!

Japanese Deliberate attack at Wenchow (89,58)

Japanese ground losses:
* 3471 casualties reported
*** Squads: 6 destroyed, 424 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 36 disabled
*** Engineers: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
*** Vehicles lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Allied ground losses:
*** 75 casualties reported
*** Squads: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied AV went from 1030 to 1027. Forts from 3.00 to 3.02. Wenchow will take far more than has been sent after it, if it is going to be taken any time soon.

Nothing much there, and at this point no news are great news. I need time for my carrier air to train and get newer, better planes.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 321
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/27/2017 4:15:45 PM   
Lecivius

I bet Palembang was an error on his part, probably forgot to set them to Bombard or something. Nice victory there, for the AFB in us

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 322
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 3:22:16 AM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
I bet Palembang was an error on his part, probably forgot to set them to Bombard or something. Nice victory there, for the AFB in us

Don't know... might have been on purpose. But one more of those, and he will need a third IJA Inf Div to take the place.

It was a nice victory, yes. We will see what comes next.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 323
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 4:36:35 PM   
Kitakami

Jan 24th, 1942

My esteemed opponent has decreased the tempo of his ground attacks, but increased his air attacks by including his carrier planes. Air losses were high on both sides, but it almost feels as if he's losing too much for what he is gaining. Let's begin with pilot losses. They were the heaviest so far. At least most were wounded:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/28/2017 4:37:03 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 324
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 4:39:58 PM   
Kitakami

For once, I am glad for Allied AAA effectiveness (and will try not to get too many of my AAA units in harm's way... they are far too useful). Japanese CV DB losses were heavy! The one thing I am doing terrible at is in fighter losses. 26 to 14 is almost 2 to 1 against.

The reason for the high Japanese losses was that, besides the usual sweeps, Singapore, Soerbaja and Batavia were bombed by CV DB and TB. Dive bombers don't do too well when diving against Allied 40mm AAA.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kitakami -- 11/28/2017 4:46:57 PM >

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 325
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 5:09:17 PM   
Kitakami

Bases Lost:

Dumaguete, Thousand Ships Bay, and Kendari. The noose is closing.

The DEI:

Tanjoengselor was amphibiously invaded, much quicker (and probably cheaper in losses) than crossing the river. Over 4k troops have been downloaded, so I expect the base to fall next turn.

Malaya:

21st IJA Inf Div and 41st IJA Inf Rgt crossed into Singapore, which prompted another shock attack. This time Japanese losses were higher:

Japanese Shock attack at Singapore (50,84)
Japanese ground losses:
* 5922 casualties reported
*** Squads: 93 destroyed, 374 disabled
*** Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 43 disabled
*** Engineers: 13 destroyed, 27 disabled
Allied ground losses:
* 52 casualties reported
*** Squads: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
*** Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied AV went from 893 to 887. Forts remained at 3.62 due to air bombing. With airfield damage not being repaired during the turn, I wonder if it is time to start puling air units out.

The Philippines:

Both Manila and Oroquieta were bombarded, and Manila was on the receiving end of IJA bombers, but not much happened.

Allied AV in Manila went from 1532 to 1556. Forts from 2.40 to 2.52. There is a large concentration of enemy troops in Clark Field, so this is the calm that precedes the storm.

Burma:

A very honourable sitzkrieg with 12 Japanese units staring at Commonwealth troops from the other side of the river.

China:

Nothing much. Besides an artillery bombardment here and there, all was quiet on the Chinese front.

A KB CarDiv has arrived!

Air attack on Port Moresby, at 98,130
Japanese aircraft
*** A6M2 Zero x 43
*** B5N2 Kate x 22
*** D3A1 Val x 44
Japanese aircraft losses
*** D3A1 Val: 8 damaged
*** D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak
Allied ground losses:
* 9 casualties reported
*** Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
*** Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 3

I wonder if, with other IJN flattops busy elsewhere, this might be a good time to contest the region. We will see how things are after the coming turn.

All in all, a somewhat quiet turn. I am sure it will not remain so for long though.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 326
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 8:16:35 PM   
ny59giants

Fighters: The Allies flow becomes a small trickle in Feb with the Dutch getting their Hurricanes and then the P-40s in March. The American P-400s are really just P-39s, but you get 36 monthly (72 total) of them for two months. I hope you set up fighter training in the UK for your Brit fighters. Unless your opponent cranked up Zero production, destroying 5 or more per day helps you. There is just not enough Zero groups to go around and the Oscars can only take on the worse of the Allied fighters (non-P39, 40, Hurr). Chin up, mate!!

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 327
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 8:23:37 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

Fighters: The Allies flow becomes a small trickle in Feb with the Dutch getting their Hurricanes and then the P-40s in March. The American P-400s are really just P-39s, but you get 36 monthly (72 total) of them for two months. I hope you set up fighter training in the UK for your Brit fighters. Unless your opponent cranked up Zero production, destroying 5 or more per day helps you. There is just not enough Zero groups to go around and the Oscars can only take on the worse of the Allied fighters (non-P39, 40, Hurr). Chin up, mate!!

To tell you the truth, I am rather hopeful that I'm doing OK... Training programs are in place, and I know the future won't be grim. But the present is... complicated, to say the least!

One thing all those reading our AARs should understand is that we have never played the sides we are playing. It makes for a very interesting learning experience for us, and most probably an exercise in frustration for our readers. In a very real sense, we DO NOT KNOW what we are doing :)

I am having a blast, that is for sure and, from what Falken writes to me, so is he, even if he finds himself in a tight spot here and there. This will improve our understanding of the game lots.

Thanks for the cheering up :)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 328
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 8:30:00 PM   
ny59giants

Please post your CV disposition and the last known positions with dates of each part of KB. Its good for you to keep track of that info and your readers informed as their whereabouts.

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 329
RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? - 11/28/2017 8:45:41 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

Please post your CV disposition and the last known positions with dates of each part of KB. Its good for you to keep track of that info and your readers informed as their whereabouts.

With pleasure!

Here were a Hvy CarDiv and the Lt CarDiv last turn. They have been responsible for my dwindling number of fighters. Falken needs to fine tune his DB use (he is used to Japanese AA basically doing nothing), but he will learn soon.

Attachment (1)

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: JFB in charge of the USN??? Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI