Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/27/2017 7:22:12 PM   
apbarog

I had a Windows 10 update today.

In the replay, where the phases of the turn are displayed on a black background, the desktop picture shows in that spot when the message goes away. This isn't a big deal in the replay, but it alerted me that something was different.

When doing a turn, when I hover over a base and see the base detail popup on the map, it shows, then when I move the mouse away from the base, the area where the popup was is now a box with the desktop picture showing through the map. If I then scroll the map, the map redraws and everything is ok again. This happens immediately and every time, and happens because of something I'm doing, not some Windows process taking control.

Also, when I tried to screen capture this, the capture was of the whole desktop, and none of the game. As if the game wasn't really displayed.

I haven't made any changes, other than the automatic Windows 10 update (which was a big update) that installed this morning. I checked my command lines settings and they are unchanged.

[edit: My command line settings are : "C:\Matrix Games\Aurorus\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080 -dd_sw -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders

using Windows 10 Professional 64]
Post #: 1
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/27/2017 7:45:25 PM   
apbarog

I removed the -dd_sw in the command line, and that seems to have fixed the screen issue. I don't know if this is advisable or will negatively affect the game in some other way, but it seems to have fixed my issue.

This is from the Readme file for the game:

-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat animations though, so give it a try and remove it if it’s not ideal on your system.

Map scrolling speed is still acceptable for me now, so I think this is the fix for me.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 10/27/2017 7:46:19 PM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/27/2017 7:46:17 PM   
Lecivius

Very interesting. I will have to look at this when I get home

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 3
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/27/2017 8:10:30 PM   
witpqs

Not sure if this will help or not:
https://www.pcmag.com/article/351494/how-to-fix-the-most-annoying-things-in-windows-10
quote:

12. No More Notifications
You either love notifications or hate the distraction. The noise, the popup, it's too much when your phone is likely displaying most of the same info. Go into Settings > Notifications & Actions. Turn off all the toggle switches. Turn them off for individual apps, especially the ones you find most annoying. Or click on the App name in the list for even more granular control—get notifications from one app on the lock screen, for example, but nowhere else, or turn off sounds for all but one notifier, that kind of thing. Play with the settings to get it just right. This is also where you can personalize the Quick Action buttons that appear at the bottom of the Windows Action Center (the pane where notifications appear on screen)—they give you quick access to settings like Airplane mode, turning off Bluetooth or Wi-Fi or VPN, or creating a note in OneNote.

https://www.howtogeek.com/233215/how-to-configure-do-not-disturb-mode-in-windows-10/
quote:

In Windows 10, when an app is trying to get your attention, a rectangle message slides into view at the lower right of the screen. These are sometimes called toast notifications and they generally disappear automatically after a few seconds. If you need to get work done on your PC, it can be distracting when a pop-up alert appears, informing you of newly arrived emails, Facebook messages, upcoming appointments and birthdays, and more.

This one has a lot of screen pics so I can't helpfully copy-paste all the text.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/28/2017 1:11:54 AM   
apbarog

Removing the --dd_sw switch has fixed the graphical problem, but at a cost. That switch had improved map scrolling speed immensely way back when that was added as an option. Now the scrolling can be painfully slow. But that is better than the graphical problem.

[edit: Loaded the latest Nvidia driver, dated this week, and this did not fix the graphical error.]

< Message edited by apbarog -- 10/28/2017 3:16:09 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/28/2017 7:37:02 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

Removing the --dd_sw switch has fixed the graphical problem, but at a cost. That switch had improved map scrolling speed immensely way back when that was added as an option. Now the scrolling can be painfully slow. But that is better than the graphical problem.

[edit: Loaded the latest Nvidia driver, dated this week, and this did not fix the graphical error.]

I found the scrolling speed issues responded when I add the -singleCPUorders and -CPU2 switches. I let CPU1 handle Windows while CPU2 handled the game without having to refer back to CPU 1 all the time.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 6
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/28/2017 9:34:27 PM   
apbarog

I experimented with the various -singleCPUorders and -CPU# switches, and none seemed to make any difference to map scrolling speed for me. I'm going to use the -cpu2 switch now, instead of the -singleCPUorders switch. I always load the game, watch the replay, then exit the game entirely, then restart the game to do my turn. Using -cpu2 seems to make more sense for me. But again, it didn't affect map scroll speed, for me.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 12:03:52 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I experimented with the various -singleCPUorders and -CPU# switches, and none seemed to make any difference to map scrolling speed for me. I'm going to use the -cpu2 switch now, instead of the -singleCPUorders switch. I always load the game, watch the replay, then exit the game entirely, then restart the game to do my turn. Using -cpu2 seems to make more sense for me. But again, it didn't affect map scroll speed, for me.

For Windows 10 the -deepColor switch is usually very important for that. I know you listed it earlier, but it makes a difference for so many people it might be worth trying again. Double check the exact spelling (don't assume I got it right, I might have remembered it wrong).

The other thing is the - (dash) character. In the manual they use the wrong one because fancy typesetting automatically converted a plain dash to something called an en-dash that would look better. Result is that if you copy-paste from the manual into the command the shortcut will not work even though it looks right. The fix for that is to delete it and re-type it from the keyboard.

Don't know what else to suggest.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 8
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 5:13:49 AM   
BBfanboy

Did you double-check your map scrolling speed setting in the Preferences? I never use more than 1 for the scroll delay.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 9
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 6:02:30 AM   
apbarog

My map scrolling speed in the Preferences setting is 2. I've never changed this, and with the -dd_sw switch, it was fine, and that has worked for years. I tried setting it to 0 and tried 1, and then loaded my saved game. I saw no difference, it was still very slow. I got out of the saved game, and the setting was back to 2. I then loaded the saved game, and changed the setting to 0, and I did notice that it was faster than before, but not as good as it was when -dd_sw worked. It's noticably slower over land. SE Australia is slower than N Australia. So it helps some. I suspect that if I wanted to use 0 or 1, I would need my Japanese opponent to set the new setting, so it would stick in the saved game. And to maybe help prevent the Synch bug.

It's marginally better. I think I'll keep looking for a cure to the -dd_sw graphics glitch.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 10:31:52 AM   
Banzan

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update broke the game for me, too. No matter what kind of swith combination i'm trying, all ingame "windows" will be filled with grafics from the Windows Desktop behind and only change back when scrolling the map. When i tried to make a screenshot showing it, i get a screenshot of my windows desktop...

I am out of ideas.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 11
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 1:50:34 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banzan

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update broke the game for me, too. No matter what kind of swith combination i'm trying, all ingame "windows" will be filled with grafics from the Windows Desktop behind and only change back when scrolling the map. When i tried to make a screenshot showing it, i get a screenshot of my windows desktop...

I am out of ideas.

Long ago Moose pointed out this gem for stopping Windows 10 from bleeding through desktop images:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 12
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 4:07:30 PM   
Banzan

Fascinating. Never heard (or read) about this one, but it worked. No idea why it wasn't a problem till the last update.

Thank you very much. :D

Edit:
Well, for some reason it now works for about 30 seconds when getting into the game, but then its the same as before.

Edit 2: After talking to a dev of our company, i tried the Window-Mode and thats works for me. Time to buy a bigger Screen. :D

< Message edited by Banzan -- 11/2/2017 5:35:16 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 4:46:57 PM   
apbarog

My Personalization screen looks a bit different. It may have changed with this Fall update. Regardless, Transparency was set to ON. I turned it OFF and it did not fix the problem. Tinkered with other seemingly unrelated settings here and in other parts of Personalization, but no luck.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 14
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 5:02:58 PM   
apbarog

Interesting that when I remove the -deepColor switch, I get a small error box that says can't set display mode.

Still experimenting.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 15
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 5:26:05 PM   
witpqs

quote:

My Personalization screen looks a bit different. It may have changed with this Fall update. Regardless, Transparency was set to ON. I turned it OFF and it did not fix the problem. Tinkered with other seemingly unrelated settings here and in other parts of Personalization, but no luck.

Yes, that suggestion was for Banzan's post, I did not think it would help the issue you described.

I am sure it looks different now from when the screen pic was taken just due to continuing changes in Windows 10.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 16
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 5:38:29 PM   
apbarog

When I left a window up, and then started the game, I got the game menu with the window on top of it, like it's giving focus to the other window. I could, however, still click on the part of the game menu still visible.

I will continue playing without the -dd_sw, with the -deepColor switch, and make do with the map screen lag.

Thank you all for your help.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 17
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 10/29/2017 7:27:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

When I left a window up, and then started the game, I got the game menu with the window on top of it, like it's giving focus to the other window. I could, however, still click on the part of the game menu still visible.

I will continue playing without the -dd_sw, with the -deepColor switch, and make do with the map screen lag.

Thank you all for your help.

I know you've tried them to some extent, but just so you know: the single cpu orders and cpu (number assignment) switches are independent of -dd_sw and -deepColor so you can mix and match if needed.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 18
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/2/2017 1:50:10 PM   
Lecivius

Removing the -dd_sw switch does fix the problem, but then the click delay becomes excruciating. Any thoughts on what switch to use in place of that one?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 19
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/2/2017 4:30:36 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Removing the -dd_sw switch does fix the problem, but then the click delay becomes excruciating. Any thoughts on what switch to use in place of that one?

(switch spelling inexact): Make sure you have -deepColor. Try -SingleCpuOrders.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 20
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/2/2017 5:14:38 PM   
BillBrown

Have you tried using the -multiaudio switch?

-multiaudio : Invokes a fix that changes audio timing for multicore machines

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 21
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/4/2017 4:01:21 PM   
GI Jive

I've had the same issue since updating Windows 10 a few days ago. When I scroll over a base, the pop-up that appears seems to be the desktop behind it. I can get beyond it by clickibg on the base but this is annoying and distracting. I'm not enough of a tekkie to fix it. I'm hoping someone else comes up with a fix that won't detract from playability.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 22
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/4/2017 7:45:25 PM   
Theages

Windows 10 1709 (Fall Creator's Update) indroduces a new driver model (WDDM 2.3), which means Microsoft has again changed the code for screen display.
On my laptop (a Dell XPS 15 (9550) I am using the same drivers as on Win10 1703 (Dell modified drivers for Intel HD530 and NVIDIA 960m).
Not using -dd_sw results in the known scroll lag. Using -dd_sw - and therefore disabling hardware implemented DirectDraw - results in increased bleed-through of desktop contents (the game is clearing the info boxes but does not refresh the underlying map), which got worse since Win10 1703. (same results when using Intel or NVIDIA)
The problem could be solved in 3 ways:
- Microsoft provides a fix for software DirectDraw preventing the bleed-through
- the GPU manufacturer "repairs" hardware DirectDraw (maybe cooperation with Microsoft is necessary)
- WitPAE code is updated to better refresh graphics.

Since WitPAE is rather old, MS and GPU manufacturers won't care.
I fear, updating WitPAE would require a major recoding effort, which is highly unlikely to happen.

(in reply to GI Jive)
Post #: 23
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/17/2017 9:34:10 PM   
MarcA

Well that's made the game unplayable. At least until someone updates something.

How did microsoft loose it's way so badly?

P.s. I also tried it out in compatability mode but it made no difference.

(in reply to Theages)
Post #: 24
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/17/2017 11:07:26 PM   
USSAmerica

I don't know what's different on my computer, but I don't have this bleed through issue, even with -dd_sw used. Can't say I'm upset.

Edit: Hmmm, I seem to still be at Windows 10 version 1703 instead of the 1709 update that is causing problems. My luck may run out soon.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 25
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/17/2017 11:10:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

I don't know what's different on my computer, but I don't have this bleed through issue, even with -dd_sw used. Can't say I'm upset.

Edit: Hmmm, I seem to still be at Windows 10 version 1703 instead of the 1709 update that is causing problems. My luck may run out soon.

It will be interesting to see. This cannot be the only community within the MS Windows 10 galaxy that would have such an issue.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 26
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/18/2017 12:18:32 PM   
LST Express

Was having same issue so I uninstalled the update and the game is working fine again.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 27
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/19/2017 2:00:49 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

Was having same issue so I uninstalled the update and the game is working fine again.

Hey LST, can you let us know exactly which update you uninstalled to correct the issue?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 28
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/19/2017 2:20:56 PM   
LST Express

Went back to 1703 from 1709.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 29
RE: Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 - 11/20/2017 7:50:46 AM   
Chris21wen

Seems I'm a lucky one I have no problems but I do turn off all the crap that comes with every new Windows 10 update, basically running with windows classic style. These are the switches I use but I've no idea why I use cpu4, must have been a reason but I'm a 'If it works don't f*** with it' guy. Wish Microsoft was

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Screen Issues after Windows Update, 27 Oct 2017 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI