Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot itself in the foot

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot itself in the foot Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/19/2017 10:47:40 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

quote:

I would like to intercept a fleet while it is in warp speed. Oblige it to exit from warp and engage them in a nice battle.

Well yes, this is the HyperStop component. It exists in DWU... No need to wait.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 61
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/19/2017 11:29:40 PM   
Aeson

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

Well yes, this is the HyperStop component. It exists in DWU... No need to wait.

As nearly as I can tell, the Gravity Well Projector only prevents ships from dropping from hyper to sub-hyper speed within its area of effect, and neither of the HyperDeny components seems to be any more effective in stopping the passage of ships flying past at hyperspeed than just shooting at them. Either getting these components to work in the 'force stuff to stop mid-journey' mode is incredibly finicky, or they don't actually function in that manner and reports to the contrary come from misunderstanding the component descriptions or incorrectly interpreting a ship dropping from hyper to cruise/sprint speed to engage an attacker as a ship being forced out of hyperspeed by encountering a HyperDeny or Gravity Well Projector's field of effect.

< Message edited by Aeson -- 11/19/2017 11:30:04 PM >

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 62
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/20/2017 12:36:18 AM   
BlindOne

I've had an entire fleet drop out of warp after it encountered and flew over a hyperdeny spaceport...this was a while ago that I think this happend but I'm pretty sure it did happen because I remember the pain of seeing all my ships get blown up by that well protected spaceport. I've also done it to enemy ships who just jumped and routed over my hyperdeny trying to escape the onslaught only to be kicked out just as they had jumped and get annihilated shortly after. Though sometimes they seem to just pass through. It's not garantueed. The hyperdeny is usually to small to really kick out ships who are travelling long distance. They really have to fly almost straight over for it to work. Maybe a more expensive and larger hyperdeny component is necessary.

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 11/20/2017 12:37:29 AM >

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 63
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/20/2017 9:27:21 PM   
ncc1701e

I would be very interested by a demo. Is it possible to do this if both fleets are between two systems ?

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 64
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/22/2017 6:25:30 AM   
Sabranan

Should be easy enough to test the hyperstop, no? Just edit the gravity well projector to have a huge range, stick it on a ship and park it in deep space at a location which has a lot of enemy private sector traffic. Either they'll all be forced out of FTL as they pass or it only prevents enemy ships from dropping out within its area of effect.

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 65
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/22/2017 1:20:14 PM   
Osito

My recollection is that the range on these puppies is quite limited. For example, when I was working on my 'Research Unleashed' mod, I tried to have a system wide hyperstop tech, but I couldn't get it to work for such a large range.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 66
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/23/2017 5:36:57 AM   
Aeson

Shown below is one of the things I have done in the past to try to test this out. The five stations in the image are all of the Interdictor Test Station design, with the one in the center having been given to a pirate faction and the around it belonging to my empire. I have tested using this general setup with and without giving the pirates the technology to build the components, just in case that makes a difference despite no other component in the game requiring you to have the technology to make it before you can use it. I have tested using stations which only had one of the jump disruption components. I have tested with ships or stations placed close enough (as in the attached image) to ensure that the HyperDeny fields are active prior to jumping across, and without ships or stations close enough to cause the HyperDeny fields to be active. I have even ordered ships to go attack the pirate-controlled Interdictor Test Station to make sure that the Gravity Well Projector is working (it is).

I have never seen any test jump interrupted by passage through the field effect of the Gravity Well Projector unless its destination was inside the Gravity Well Projector's field effect, nor have I ever seen a jump interrupted by passage through a HyperDeny field (whether the component-generated ones or the ones you can find at story-related map locations) if the vessel was already at hyperspeed prior to entering the area affected by the jump inhibitor. The only thing that I have not tested is triggering HyperDeny fields as ships pass, but only because getting the timing right on that one is a royal pain.

Perhaps something fishy is going on because pirates are quasi-neutrals, but on the other hand pirate ships and stations are automatically targeted by idle warships within the system and by stations if the pirate ships are in range. Replicating the above test with a standard empire with which the player empire is at war should not be difficult, but I doubt that it will reveal anything different.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aeson -- 11/23/2017 5:43:36 AM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 67
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/23/2017 11:16:28 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

These look like HyperDeny, not HyperStop.

HyperStop display a blinking Purple Dashed Circle around the base.

HyperDeny prevents ships from going from sublight to hyperspeed
HyperStop forces ships from hyperspeed to sublight.

< Message edited by OzoneGrif -- 11/23/2017 11:17:28 PM >

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 68
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/24/2017 4:50:57 AM   
Aeson

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif

These look like HyperDeny, not HyperStop.

HyperStop display a blinking Purple Dashed Circle around the base.

HyperDeny prevents ships from going from sublight to hyperspeed
HyperStop forces ships from hyperspeed to sublight.

The particular station used for that image has both a Gravity Well Projector and a HyperDeny GW4000; you can see the station design to the right. I don't know why the Gravity Well Projector ring didn't display, but I do know that it was working because when I ordered a ship to jump in to attack the pirate-controlled station it stopped at the edge of the pirate-controlled station's Gravity Well Projector's zone of effect, and even so I was able to have ships jump over the station.

< Message edited by Aeson -- 11/24/2017 4:52:23 AM >

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 69
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/25/2017 7:38:23 PM   
Boygor

Well it might be a small opportunity for DW because hyperlane Stellaris is exactly the reason I just bought this game :)

(in reply to Aeson)
Post #: 70
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/26/2017 1:54:08 AM   
Lucian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boygor

Well it might be a small opportunity for DW because hyperlane Stellaris is exactly the reason I just bought this game :)

(Babylon 5 deep, resonant voice)....... AND SO IT BEGINS!

(in reply to Boygor)
Post #: 71
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/26/2017 2:34:03 AM   
Cauldyth

Welcome!

(in reply to Lucian)
Post #: 72
RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot it... - 11/26/2017 12:45:17 PM   
Osito

Indeed, Welcome, Boygor

I hope you don't get put off by your first impressions Distant Worlds, because in some respects (particularly graphically), the game will seem like a step down from Stellaris.

However, I'm sure people on this forum will try to answer any of your questions. I'd recommend you check out Timotheus' excellent beginner's guide here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3508583

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 73
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Opportunity for DW2 now that Stellaris just shot itself in the foot Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI