Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs bristolduke (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs bristolduke (J) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/21/2017 11:16:56 PM   
Bif1961

With high disruption and forts now down to zero it looks like Midway is a goner.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 151
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/24/2017 3:23:28 PM   
MichaelU

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

With high disruption and forts now down to zero it looks like Midway is a goner.

Most perceptive of you, because sure enough, Midway is a goner. As he was throwing most of Combined Fleet against it, I gave it only small chance of survival, which turned out to be exactly how things panned out.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 152
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/24/2017 3:44:31 PM   
MichaelU

Dec 25-26, 1941

The Japanese give no pause for Christmas, and neither do we. Midway and Singakawang both see more landings and more shooting in support of the landings, putting them in a rather precarious position to survive. What a horrible Christmas present for the defenders, the start of many long years of captivity.

Our minefield at Singapore, being cleared by a whole host of DMS, claims a victim, the TB Manazura apparently. What's with these TBs and minefields? And why do our mines only hit these guys, and not the hordes of other ships that have been sailing in and out of them?
Our minefield at Bataan does score a real hit though. DMS W-19, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage. Yay, this is the best mine hit we've had all game.

The destruction of Sabang airfield is completed, a sub pops up and blows apart an xAP loading some troops there, and the place is now officially declared too hot to handle. Not bad though, we did manage to get quite a few troops out of Malaysia and loaded onto transports at Sabang. That little bit of fun is over for now though. The damaged planes are loaded onto xAKLs and at night and by the time the sun rises the ships are well clear, so at least we have saved some Catalinas.

The big shock of Dec 25 is when ground combat suddenly breaks out at Port Blair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Port Blair (46,58)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 272 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 21

Defending force 872 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 15

Japanese adjusted assault: 12

Allied adjusted defense: 7

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
81 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Assaulting units:
1st Raiding Rgt /1

Defending units:
11th Indian Div /1
Pt Blair Coastal Gun Battalion
Port Blair Adv Base Force
108th RAF Base Force /1
223 Group RAF /2

That was just too close. Losing Port Blair would have been a blow in itself, but we also had a couple of air groups there, including one of Catalinas recently escaped from the Philippines.

The fall of Singakawang does show us how important it has been that we have held onto the place, because just one turn later there is a major Betty raid on the airfield at Soerebaja. It could have been a whole lot worse, because we'd pulled the Indomitable and Hermes in there to stock up on planes and fuel, and if he had known they were around we could have been in big trouble. Seventeen Bettys made it through the CAP, and if they had been torpedo armed and hunting carriers, it could have got ugly. Needless to say the carriers are sailing out this turn to seek safer waters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Soerabaja , at 56,104

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 27 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 24

Allied aircraft
Fulmar II x 2
Sea Hurricane Ib x 2
B-339D x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged

No Allied losses

Runway hits 3

The Japanese are making a push in China, but have run into a fairly well dug in group of Chinese units. Unfortunately there was some testing of the defenses using the incredibly scouting powers of artillery, so they'll know the defenders are too tough for them.

Ground combat at 88,43 (near Kaifeng)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 26811 troops, 190 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 796

Defending force 29323 troops, 119 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 755

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
101st NCPC Route Brigade
35th Division
16th Ind.Mixed Brigade
3rd Ind.Mixed Brigade
15th RGC Temp. Division

Defending units:
93rd Chinese Corps
27th Chinese Corps
98th Chinese Corps
5th New Chinese Corps
15th Group Army
39th Group Army

At Port Blair, it looks like the assault was an attempted coup de main, because there are no followup forces and a second attack is brutally repulsed, helped by a unit hastily air transported in from Rangoon.

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 379 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 26

Defending force 1088 troops, 15 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 34

Japanese adjusted assault: 2

Allied adjusted defense: 9

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 4 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
117 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
1st Raiding Rgt /1

Defending units:
Rangoon BAF Bn /1
11th Indian Div /1
Pt Blair Coastal Gun Battalion
108th RAF Base Force /1
Port Blair Adv Base Force
223 Group RAF /2

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 153
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/24/2017 3:51:45 PM   
MichaelU

I suspect the raiding regiment at Port Blair was brought in on a high speed boat run, because I could see a couple of Japanese TFs off Port Blair on the turn when the first fight happened. I can understand why I would have spotted them coming earlier -- the Catalinas at Sabang had been bombed to uselessness and the Catalinas at Port Blair just didn't pick them up.

What I'm not sure about was why we didn't get a report of unloading. Do troops assaulting from fast transport ships not do that? Or does the lack of an unloading message imply it was an airdropped assault and the ships at Port Blair might have been a sub?

Regardless, it looks like Port Blair will hold for now, and he will have to bring a real force to take it.

The other thing that continued over the past two days was the continued bombing of oilfields at Miri, Balikpapan and Palembang. As long as I can I am going to continue this bombing. While it may not have much impact short term, I imagine that losing 200-300 points of oil is going to hurt over the long term. .

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 154
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/24/2017 9:40:37 PM   
MichaelU

Dec 27, 1941

Oh man, it's Christmas Eve (in real life, that is), and Mike and I almost get the present we've been dreaming of. SS Devi Ray launches 4 torps at the Akagi just south of Midway. One hits, but it's a dud. Argh, hate duds, hate them my precious.

Out of sheer frustration the SS Argonaut slams 2 torpedoes into the xAK Yosida Maru #1 at Midway. How come these torpedoes work, but the ones into the Akagi don't? Still, every dead transport is one not carrying supplies and troops on the next big invasion, so we'll take what we can get.

It looks like the Japanese are finally coming to clean up the mess left by their first round of invasions. xAKs unload troops into Kuching, and a fast transport group unloads into Tarakan. We also have unloading at Medan in Sumatra. The noose on Java is tightening inexorably The Dutch bombers that had been hammering happily at Miri are pulled back -- they will now join their comrades battering Balikpapan.

Speaking of which, Renown has been sniffing around looking for troops reported to be loaded on a CL and headed for Balikpapan. But with no sign of them, the Renown will instead make a bombardment run. I don't know if bombardments can damage oil facilities but it's certainly worth a try.

The minefield at Bataan claims its second victim, DMS W-16. This is our most dangerous minefield to date.

It's sad to see the brave defenders of places like Tarakan and Kuching going down, but on the bright side, it is three weeks into the war and he is only taking these places now, so it is not all bad.

The Chinese 7th and 8th group armies give a good account of themselves. Probably because they are nicely dug into some mountains. This is the way to fight with Chinese troops. However, given losses were about even, it probably will only take a few more of these attacks to clear the position.

Ground combat at 88,41 (near Kaoping)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 29815 troops, 263 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 894

Defending force 16437 troops, 136 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 381

Japanese adjusted assault: 318

Allied adjusted defense: 310

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
917 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 98 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
771 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Assaulting units:
37th Division
41st Division
4th Ind.Mixed Brigade
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
33rd Chinese Corps
34th Chinese Corps
43rd Chinese Corps
61st Chinese Corps
7th Group Army
8th Group Army

But the poor old Indian 11th division meets its end at Georgetown, along with assorted hangers on.

Ground combat at Georgetown (49,74)

Attacking force 11374 troops, 138 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 290

Defending force 8177 troops, 19 guns, 14 vehicles, Assault Value = 208

Japanese adjusted assault: 102

Allied adjusted defense: 30

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Georgetown !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
437 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 30 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 20 disabled

Allied ground losses:
10900 casualties reported
Squads: 343 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 460 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 13 (13 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 18 (18 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 6

Ah, but has it? Elements of 11th Indian Division have managed to escape the slaughter, and are even now on ships heading towards Indian ports, and even fighting to repel the attack on Port Blair. They will form the nucleus of a new 11th Division that will avenge Georgetown.

I'm very excited about next turn, as we'll be doing the first non-Chinese ground attack of the game when the Port Blair garrison tries to destroy the invaders. If he is as disrupted and out of supply as I hope, then it will go badly for him.
One little bit of info does give me pause though. In the aircraft losses for the turn are four KI-57-1 Topsy transports. Is he flying in supply and reinforcements? I imagine my Buffaloes in Port Blair would have been picking these guys off as they came in to drop off more troops.

There are massed Betty strikes against the airfields of Batavia. Dutch fighters shoot down 6 of the bombers in return for 7 of our aircraft knocked out on the ground.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 155
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/24/2017 10:01:22 PM   
MichaelU

Ah, the pain.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 156
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/25/2017 12:43:19 AM   
Bif1961

However even a dud on a Japanese Carrier makes them nervous. The MK14 torpedo was billed as an American wonder weapon and it turned into a blunder weapon for the 1st two years of the war.

< Message edited by Bif1961 -- 12/25/2017 12:52:50 AM >

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 157
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/28/2017 2:42:54 PM   
MichaelU

Dec 28-29, 1941

Looks like the Japanese, after an earlier surge forward which led to some grievous transport losses, are now being a lot more careful and are taking out the bases in a more ordered approach. Kuching falls and Tarakan holds on for one last turn, and what looks like a well supported reinforcement of Palembang is on the way.

KB has disappeared -- last sighted just south of Midway about two days ago. She could be anywhere really. I hate it when we don't know where KB is. More strangely, there are some light carriers supporting the move on Palembang, but there is no sign of other light carriers. No idea what happened to the light carriers last seen at the Palaus.

The defenders of Port Blair have moved onto the attack, trying to eliminate the 1st Raiding regiments before it can be reinforced. But over two attacks, and despite achieving 8-1 odds on the second, and a supporting bombardment from four Royal navy light cruisers, the stalemate continues.

We also discover that bombardments don't target oil infrastructure, after the Renown puts a few holes in the Balikpapan airfield but otherwise doesn't achieve very much.

The SS Manatee pops up at Jaluit, and has two shots at AMC Aikoku Maru, missing completely both times. Frustrated at being unable to hit such a massive target, the captain switches to CM Tokiwa, and manages to get two torps in this time.

I've got a heavy cruiser two turns away from Jaluit, so I'm going to start nosing north and see if there is any trouble I can cause.

The battle in the mountains at Kaoping is fierce, and the Chinese troops are holding against much superior forces. But it doesn't look good because alongside the normal negatives for experience and morale, we're now getting a negative for supply as well. We just don't have enough peasants to port bullets up through the mountain passes. Here is the battle for the the 29th (the 28th battle was similar).

Attacking force 28686 troops, 262 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 772

Defending force 15435 troops, 135 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 266

Japanese adjusted assault: 224

Allied adjusted defense: 202

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
457 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
635 casualties reported
Squads: 18 destroyed, 43 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

The end of Kuching. These boys had fought so bravely, it seems a shame to see them wiped out.

Ground combat at Kuching (58,88)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2676 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 73

Defending force 1728 troops, 9 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 37

Japanese adjusted assault: 68

Allied adjusted defense: 9

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kuching !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), fatigue(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
176 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1319 casualties reported
Squads: 40 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 74 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 7 (6 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1
Units destroyed 2

And the fierce, fierce battle for Port Blair. Despite all those negative for the Japanese, and an 8 to 1 odds ratio, the outcome in terms of casualties isn't that different. Probably because our troops have experience levels in the 20s, so are still trying to work out which way to hold their rifles.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1322 troops, 26 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 40

Defending force 418 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 15

Allied adjusted assault: 8

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 8 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), preparation(-)
fatigue(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 158
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/28/2017 2:46:52 PM   
MichaelU

quote:

However even a dud on a Japanese Carrier makes them nervous. The MK14 torpedo was billed as an American wonder weapon and it turned into a blunder weapon for the 1st two years of the war.

I remember reading about the torpedo problems in a book called The Bravest Man, by William Tuohy. It's an excellent read, and was bought for me many years before I became interested in the Pacific theatre. At the time I was a European theatre tank guy, and spent all my hours playing Battlefront's excellent Combat Mission series of games.

It was Mike who got me interested in the Pacific.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 159
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/29/2017 12:20:10 AM   
ny59giants

Japan has an Air HQ in Marshall’s with a group of Betty. So beware with that CA.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 160
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/29/2017 9:28:54 AM   
MichaelU

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Japan has an Air HQ in Marshall’s with a group of Betty. So beware with that CA.

Hmm, a bit late now, as I've sent the CA nosing forward. Gulp.

I suppose it gives the game a nice historical flavour, as the commander would not have known that danger existed and might have blundered into it. I like to make the occasional blunder to give the game that feel of historical authenticity.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 161
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/29/2017 1:26:40 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: MichaelU

quote:

I remember reading about the torpedo problems in a book called The Bravest Man, by William Tuohy. It's an excellent read, and was bought for me many years before I became interested in the Pacific theatre. At the time I was a European theatre tank guy, and spent all my hours playing Battlefront's excellent Combat Mission series of games.

It was Mike who got me interested in the Pacific.

Great book. Great submarine commander. Dick O'Kane was the US sub commander with the highest total of tonnage sunk.

He and Mush Morton, who was the commander of Wahoo when O'Kane served as exec, where the "models" for the characters in the John Wayne classic Operation Pacific.

Like another of my favorite war heroes, Pappy Boyington, O'Kane spent the latter part of the war in a POW camp after a circling torpedo took out Tang.

The Bravest Man is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Hans

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 162
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/29/2017 1:53:29 PM   
MichaelU

[/quote]
Like another of my favorite war heroes, Pappy Boyington.
[/quote]

Mike's book collection also includes Baa Baa Black Sheep, about Pappy Boyington. Another superb read.

I should get Mike to post a picture of his Pacific War book collection on here. It's quite a sight. Matched only by his Pacific War boardgame collection.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 163
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/29/2017 2:01:10 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

Mike's book collection also includes Baa Baa Black Sheep, about Pappy Boyington. Another superb read.

I should get Mike to post a picture of his Pacific War book collection on here. It's quite a sight. Matched only by his Pacific War boardgame collection.

Boardgame collection??? I am not the last of the Mohicans, cool! I still have a few... around 60-70 wargames left, some of them from the 70's... AH, SPI, VG... and some newer stuff too. Alas, not much Pacific War stuff, mostly Europe.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 164
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 12/29/2017 2:29:38 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Like another of my favorite war heroes, Pappy Boyington.

Yep, I have that one too. Greg was a very humble and self-deprecating man, never failed to refer to himself as the drunk he knew himself to be.

Was interesting that he became a wrestling referee after the war.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 12/29/2017 2:30:11 PM >

Hans

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 165
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/2/2018 9:46:14 AM   
MichaelU

Dec 30-31, 1941

Not much Japanese invasion action recently. What little excitement there is takes place at Palembang, where some troop unloading is met by the fearsome Banshees. Over two turns the xAKs Syoto Maru and Seizan Maru are hit multiple times, with troop casualties reported. The Dutch bombers have a go as well, but can't even hit a transport that is pretty much dead in the water.

Major bombing raids resume against Manila, so it looks like he is building up to another attach there. The defenders have every right to feel abandoned as the Bettys and Nells pound the city to rubble. We stood down all fighters some time ago, so the only aircraft in the sky are Japanese.

We get a bloody nose at Kaoping, where the 7th Group Army is pushed out of the mountain passes it had managed to hold for several days. After a softening up, a Japanese shock attack forces the passes open.

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 28419 troops, 262 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 744

Defending force 14855 troops, 135 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 218

Japanese adjusted assault: 729

Allied adjusted defense: 238

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
813 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 74 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Allied ground losses:
5755 casualties reported
Squads: 290 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 146 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 12 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 19 (16 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 6

The road to Sian is open, but we are rushing another army group up to plug the gap. The idea is that as the outlying defenses get pushed in, we'll eventually end up concentrated on Sian. But we're trying to delay that moment for as long as possible.

The major surprise battle is the defense of Tarakan. Despite substantial reinforcements and some supporting bombardments from heavy cruisers, the attack is bloodily repulsed. Not sure how much longer the Dutch can hold out, but their tenacious defense has proved invaluable in terms of delaying the Japanese march down the coast of Borneo.

Ground combat at Tarakan (67,91)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4152 troops, 19 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 110

Defending force 2713 troops, 42 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 45

Japanese adjusted assault: 39

Allied adjusted defense: 49

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), fatigue(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
541 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 39 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
165 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

The Japanese attack again the next day, and are again beaten back at 1 to 2 odds, but with the losses more even this time. The attacker's AV went from 110 to 80, showing the damage done by the failed shock attack.

I've been waiting for the Japanese to reinforce Balikpapan, with PT boats and the Renown TF ready to strike, but it seems to be taking him forever to get there. Instead we remain content using the Dutch bombers to hit the oil fields, while the B17s focus on the Palembang fields. He still doesn't have enough air cover to stop us doing whatever we want to either set of oil fields.

The Japanese must have spotted the Dutch float planes operating out of the tiny base of Ketapang, on the western coast of Borneo. Lily's make a visit and find the AVP Orion, putting a single bomb into her. She is still afloat, but with fires at 85 and flotation damage over 50, I'm not giving much for her chances. It is so useful to have these stay behind AVPs to give us eyes into places where we no longer have functioning air bases, but it is risky.

There are two mine hits over the two days, both on Japanese subs, at Soerebaja and Batavia. He is testing our defenses, and paid for it. Batavia has been pretty much abandoned by shipping -- it is withing escorted Betty range, so we can't rule out a major strike on the port.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 166
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/2/2018 9:57:54 AM   
MichaelU

What we're really waiting for over this quiet Christmas/New Year 1941 period is to try work out where the Japanese are going next. KB has been missing for nearly a week. Sigint has proved useless in terms of giving us a heads up to future plans -- we're not getting any of the 'planning for' or 'loaded on' notes.

The U.S. carriers popped down to Brisbane to top up their fuel and air groups, and will head up to Townsville to meet up with the carriers that had been operating in the DEI. That will give is the Lexington, Enterprise, Indomitable and all the light carriers in one place, which should be enough to threaten any gathering of Japanese light carriers.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 167
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/3/2018 1:44:49 PM   
MichaelU

Jan 1, 1942

Well well, look who has turned up in the Marshall Islands. Our brave Catalinas flying from Ocean and Nauru Islands spot some carriers, and I can't think it can be anyone other than the dreaded KB. I wonder where this lot are heading?

What I am glad about is that I decided to not make a run against the transports at Jaluit with the CA Salt Lake, because that could have ended very badly indeed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 168
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/3/2018 3:30:23 PM   
MichaelU

The sighting of KB, I am greatly thankful to Mike for spotting, has livened up an otherwise dull turn. We're sort of in waiting mode, trying to see where the next blow will fall. While we're doing better than we have any right to expect in the DEI, we know it is a matter of time.

The only useful sigint we get this turn is that the 24th Regiment is loading on ships at Badelboab. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us where the 24th Regiment is heading.

Japanese bombers, based probably out of Singakawang, are working over the western side of Java, no doubt trying to shut down our bombing runs on Palembang. There is also new air opposition there, with a squadron of Nates being the latest to get roughly handled by the incredible flyers of No 232 squadron. Flight lieutenant DJC Pinckney, known to his chums in the squadron as Pinkers, gets his seventh kill in 11 missions. Pretty impressive considering this isn't the usual 'shoot down Bettys' way of racking up kills. Every one of those was an enemy fighter.

Speaking of shooting down Bettys, there are enough fighters defending western Java to make sure the airfield hits are dearly bought. Ten Bettys are downed, although we do lose a Vildebeest and a Banshee on the ground at Batavia. The non-fighter air groups are pulled further back into Java as a precaution.

Manila is taking a pounding from the air, and it looks like its final doom is on the way. The below artillery heavy battle against a cut off division a couple of hexes away makes me think the Japanese will soon be rolling in the big guns to add to the devastation caused by the aircraft. Two mortar battations, a field artillery regiment and a heavy arty battalion. Ouch.

Ground combat at Bayombong (80,75)

Attacking force 4307 troops, 68 guns, 87 vehicles, Assault Value = 83

Defending force 2805 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Japanese adjusted assault: 36

Allied adjusted defense: 22

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 6 disabled

Assaulting units:
21st Ind Com Engineer Regiment
3rd Ind Com Engineer Regiment
1st Sasebo SNLF Coy
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
9th Field Construction Battalion
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
3rd Construction Battalion
56th Const Co

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 169
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/3/2018 3:45:53 PM   
MichaelU

Here is the situation in Burma. He has pushed north with two RTA divisions which bloodily handled our poor units trying to hold the river crossing. He is also threatening a crossing at Pegu, where we have 220 or so AV soon to be dug into level 2 forts.

While we have plenty of supplies and some decent troop numbers, their experience levels are appalling. The defenders of Pegu have a median experience of 25, with just one unit at 40. When 40 experience are your veterans, you know you're in trouble. So while we'd normally laugh at a few RTA divisions, I'm not actually sure how we're going to stop them.

Because Singapore fell so swiftly I didn't even bother trying to reinforce Burma. With the troops he has freed up he could easily bypass it, or do a naval landing at Rangoon.

One thing that might help is that we have recaptured Moulmein. All his troops moved forward, which meant one of our units making a dash north up the coast walked into the city unopposed. They are currently drinking a whole Japanese regiment's sake supply.

Not sure how much impact this is going to have for the units near Pegu, who will have to get supplies via jungle porters until Moulmein is recaptured.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MichaelU -- 1/3/2018 3:48:32 PM >

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 170
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/5/2018 12:38:31 PM   
MichaelU

Jan 2, 1942

Our brief moment of optimism around Burma is brutally shattered after just one day. No sooner do the troops of the 6th Burma Rifles start tucking into their stolen sake horde than the 3rd RTA division steams back over the river into Moulmein, teaching them a good lesson why you shouldn't drink this close to the front line. Moulmein is Japanese once more.

The diversion of half the force to the south to deal with Moulmein has not dented the ardour of the enemy, who simultaneously cross the river into the much more crunchy defenders of Pegu. We have more troops, we have forts, we have a river. But none of that matters when your troops don't know which end of the gun a bullet comes out of.

Ground combat at Pegu (55,53)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4555 troops, 34 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 151

Defending force 7257 troops, 37 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 222

Japanese adjusted assault: 21

Allied adjusted defense: 33

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), morale(-)

Japanese ground losses:
96 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Allied ground losses:
176 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 13 disabled

Assaulting units:
4th RTA Division

Defending units:
4th Burma Rifles Battalion
13th Indian Brigade
3rd Burma Rifles Battalion
Railway BAF Battalion
2nd Burma Brigade

And how long is it going to take to wipe out the 1st Raiding Regiment at Port Blair? About a week of attacks at 15-1 or better odds, and two bonbardment runs, and they are still hanging on. I guess this shows the value of quality. Still, they are showing minutes for fatigue, disruption and supply, and are doing no damage to the attackers, so we'll keep on pounding.

In other action, the deadly minefield at Bataan is cleared, but not before claiming its final victim, TB Kamo. SS O16 puts a torpedo into PB Eifuku Maru off Singkawang, while SS Pompano lobs a dub into the side of a transport just south of Japan.

The 8th Indian Brigade, part of the last Indian division still on the Malayan peninsula, gets badly handled as it tries to withdraw to join the rest of its division at Kuala Lumpur.

Lastly, KB has disappeared, after a brief cameo in the Marshalls. Curses, where are those carriers. Other than a small group of CVLs or CVEs we can see just off Singapore, we are down to guessing.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 171
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/9/2018 7:56:49 PM   
MichaelU

Jan 3-6, 1942

Been on a business trip, which can be quite busy, so the AAR had to go on the back foot somewhat. It has been a quiet few days, but I'll go through some of the highlights.

The 1st Raiding Regiment at Port Blair is eventually wiped out -- by attrition. The defenders of Port Blair go looking out on patrol looking for the last desperate remnants. But seeing the nature of their predicament, the Japanese troops have decided to take their own lives. Or maybe they just died of boredom, because about a week's worth of attacks at massively favourable odds had done almost no damage.

A transport group pulling to Palembang is Banshee'd, with one of two xAKs taking a few bomb hits. Even a Dutch bomber manages to get a hit in, a rare and beautiful experience. They had been covered by a group of Nates, but the incredible Pinkney leads his squadron into another round of slaughter, making double ace.

The Japanese make several small attacks in China, but always at odds slight in the Allies favour, and they lose a lot more troops than they kill. Not major numbers, but always good to see the Chinese holding their own. The worst is an attack near Sinyang, where the losses are 200-1700 in China's favour.

I really thought Tarakan would have fallen by now, but despite facing much stiffer opposition, the defenders manage to hold off two Japanese attacks, and give the opposition a bloody nose in the process. Really surprised by this.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 172
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/9/2018 8:31:48 PM   
MichaelU

All of the last week or so is something of a sideshow, because the real action is coming soon around Ambon in the DEI. A major transport group covered by carriers is coming to take the base. We're tired of being pushed around, so we're moving to counter.
Three carrier TFs, centred on the Enterprise, Lexington and Indomitable, will be taking up position south of Ambon to hopefully ruin the Japanese plans. We've also put about 100 land-based air into the area, split equally between fighters and bombers. So in total 380 Allied planes, versus an unknown number of Japanese aircraft. If it is the light carrier group we think it is, it will be 150-180 planes.

Here's a picture of the situation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 173
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/9/2018 8:44:28 PM   
MichaelU

As well as the stuff in Ambon and Kendari, we also have B17s flying naval attack from Darwin. Most of the LBA is just a distraction really -- we'd be amazed to get even a single hit from them. But hopefully repeated attacks will run his CAP ragged and make it more likely that strikes from our carriers will get through.

Some Dutch CLs that had been docked at Kendari hoping for unescorted transports will make a suicide run to the north of Ambon. If we're really lucky we'll get in among the carriers and shoot up a few. If his carriers fall back to avoid a surface combat it could leave his transports as easy pickings. Or the poor Dutch may just provide extra targets and hopefully distract a few flights that would otherwise have gone after more valuable prey.

To say Mike and I are nervous would be something of an understatement.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 174
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/9/2018 8:48:37 PM   
Kitakami

The best of lucks to the two of you!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 175
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/9/2018 8:55:25 PM   
ny59giants

If you left your old TBs on your CVs, you will want to get 4 hexes away from Ambon so they go after the Amphib TF. If your opponent knows anything about the CD guns there, he will have CA or BBs in those TFs. So at least you can go after those.

Good luck and good hunting!!

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 176
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/10/2018 2:40:14 AM   
Bif1961

It is important for the Allies to set these traps and hope to sink the mini-KB or a division of the KB detached. The worst case scenario, would be if the entire KB and mini-KB showed up to spoil your welcoming party. Pins and needles.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 177
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/10/2018 11:22:07 AM   
MichaelU

quote:

It is important for the Allies to set these traps and hope to sink the mini-KB or a division of the KB detached. The worst case scenario, would be if the entire KB and mini-KB showed up to spoil your welcoming party. Pins and needles.

Gee, thanks a lot. We were already whimpering with fear, and now you have put this thought in our heads.

As for the TBs, we have taken off all the Devastators and replaced them with Marine squadrons of Wildcats or Dauntlesses. We do have quite a few Swordfish on the British and ANZAC carriers.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 178
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/11/2018 8:59:35 AM   
MichaelU

Gah, no turn. This could mean our opponent is a) staring numbly at his screen as he contemplates the wreck of his DEI plans b) having to step up his plans as he is no longer facing any carrier opposition c) happened to be a bit busy and couldn't get to the turn.

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 179
RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs ... - 1/11/2018 2:32:07 PM   
MichaelU

Now we have had an email from our opponent apologising that he is a bit slow in getting this turn back, and that he understands we might be anxious. Hell yes we're anxious. I have replied begging him to please send the replay, even if he can't get the turn to us yet.

No spoilers on how the fight turned out. Is his calm a brave acceptance of terrible defeat, or a noble effort to avoid gloating?

(in reply to MichaelU)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Going The Distance: BTS 4.6 MichaelU/lb4269 (A) vs bristolduke (J) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI