Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Making static units that come back later in the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Making static units that come back later in the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 6:10:25 PM   
PeteAtomic

So, gotta question for the WITW gurus out there. I've got the 1st SS Panzer grenadier div. that will soon be leaving for the Eastern Front as a panzergrenadier Division.
It will come back later as the 1st SS Panzer Division (armored). So, if I make that unit static and get the APs from that action, will the 1st SS Armor come back later
as a static division when I get it back on the West front as a reinforcement?

thanks for the replies

I haven't seen much in the rules there about this type of thing happening.

< Message edited by PeteAtomic -- 11/10/2017 6:11:16 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 8:05:17 PM   
Joel Billings

I would hope the game wouldn't let you transfer a static unit, but if it does, I don't think it will lose the static flag. I would consider sending a unit east as static an exploit, as I don't think the system downgrades their value in the east front box when they are static. I don't think you can make units on the east front static, can you?

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to PeteAtomic)
Post #: 2
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 8:21:52 PM   
Searry

Do you have EF box on?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 8:29:55 PM   
PeteAtomic

No, the East Front box is not on. It's the big campaign 43-45. The 1st SS pzgrenadier is scheduled to withdraw from the West front. It will come back in the game as a reinforcement, but not as a Pzgrenadier, but a SS armored Division. So, I'll ask this again, if I make it static before it leaves, will it come back later as a static division, or because the force composition will change to an armored division, will it come back with a full complement of trucks?

Does this question make sense?

< Message edited by PeteAtomic -- 11/10/2017 8:31:56 PM >

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 4
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 8:41:06 PM   
Searry

That's a good question! I would think not because it's a different unit then.

(in reply to PeteAtomic)
Post #: 5
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 9:13:19 PM   
Denniss

The unit that withdraws and the unit that arrives back later on are two different units.
Game engine should not permit EFB transfers nor withdrawal of static units. EFB transfer should require non-static units. Withdrawing units should be reactivated during logistics at full cost (at the start of 5-turn withdrawal phase) and should not be permitted to become static again.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 6
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/10/2017 10:55:01 PM   
PeteAtomic

I'm not going to do it in my current game cuz I'm playing against another human, and I feel its an exploit. It's a very cheap way to get tons of extra APs and extra trucks. The unit will magically reappear later like
nothing happened.
From the reading I'm doing on the 1st SS, it was essentially an armored division in all but name only while it was designated 'pzgrenadier'. So, this would point to an exploit, imho. It really isn't a 'new' unit.
I think its a correction needed for the game in the future to repair.

< Message edited by PeteAtomic -- 11/10/2017 11:00:02 PM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 7
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/11/2017 4:24:33 AM   
Joel Billings

Ok, didn't realize you were discussing normal withdrawal of units. Does anyone know whether the units are withdrawn in their static state? If so, then that's clearly an exploit.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to PeteAtomic)
Post #: 8
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/11/2017 2:02:16 PM   
PeteAtomic

Now here is yet a finer point to this. And I think there could be a debate on this point. The major problem I have with making the aforementioned division (1st SS) static before routine withdrawal, is that it comes back later in the game. Now, the Germans have a quantity of divisions available that leave the West, and do not come back. Now, here is the point. In those cases, where the unit does not come back, then making the unit static while its on the West front may be acceptable. The Germans often cannibalized units of vehicles when needed. Now, I think it's a 'cheap' way to help out the AP/truck problems the Germans have on the West, but I don't think its necessarily an exploit. The CV value of units sent to the East in a static form if the EFB is used should be degraded. That only makes sense.

Post #: 9
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/11/2017 2:05:04 PM   
PeteAtomic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Ok, didn't realize you were discussing normal withdrawal of units. Does anyone know whether the units are withdrawn in their static state? If so, then that's clearly an exploit.

I believe they do

Post #: 10
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/12/2017 5:24:23 AM   
Bob12

I have been playing the buldge scenario recently and had some units that I put on static withdrew to the east, once they entered "withdrawing" mode they re mobilized automatically. Not sure if it used any AP's though.

(in reply to PeteAtomic)
Post #: 11
RE: Making static units that come back later in the game - 11/12/2017 8:44:23 AM   
Helpless

There is a code which "reactivates" static units before withdrawal, i.e. APs should be charged back.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Bob12)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Making static units that come back later in the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI