Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Scenario list by designer recommendation (AI and/or PBEM)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Scenario list by designer recommendation (AI and/or PBEM) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Scenario list by designer recommendation (AI and/or... - 11/28/2017 11:55:24 PM   
SeriousCatNZ

I noticed that Fire in the East 2 is recommended for PBEM play only.

Does this mean the PO won't work in the scenario, or that there are no specific PO programmed instructions?

I ask because FITE 2 doesn't look like it's playable at that scale without heavy use of the PO. I play Gary Grigsby's War in the East and I can tell you that manually moving 500+ units per turn is exhausting, and that's at 16 miles per hex. FITE 2 is at a ridiculous(ly glorious) 6km (3.7 miles) per hex.

(in reply to spinecruncher)
Post #: 31
RE: Scenario list by designer recommendation (AI and/or... - 11/29/2017 12:12:41 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeriousCatNZ

I noticed that Fire in the East 2 is recommended for PBEM play only.

Does this mean the PO won't work in the scenario, or that there are no specific PO programmed instructions?

I ask because FITE 2 doesn't look like it's playable at that scale without heavy use of the PO. I play Gary Grigsby's War in the East and I can tell you that manually moving 500+ units per turn is exhausting, and that's at 16 miles per hex. FITE 2 is at a ridiculous(ly glorious) 6km (3.7 miles) per hex.

it means that is not recommended to play against the computer. "PO" stands for "programmed opponent" so it's not related to the fact that you could let the computer to move some of your formations.

(in reply to SeriousCatNZ)
Post #: 32
RE: Scenario list by designer recommendation (AI and/or... - 11/29/2017 3:56:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

FITE2 has an AI, all scenarios in TOAW have an AI, it just doesn't have a PO, a programmed opponent. Instructions for what the
units are supposed to do. If you attack a non-PO enemy unit, the AI built into TOAW will cause the unit to defend or attack whichever
the formation strategic bias calls for. I'm wondering if you put it on "manual" if Elmer moves it at all now that I think about it.
We need a workshop on objectives and how to add them, adjust them, delete them, how to make formations do what a player would do
how to keep your formations together better, and things like that. I'll get busy and see what I can do.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Scenario list by designer recommendation (AI and/or PBEM) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI