Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 12/10/2017 5:53:03 PM   
DanNeely

It also depends what your monitors physical size is. The editor's perfectly fine on my 32" 4k with no special settings in TOAW and 125% scaling for the monitor as a whole in Windows.

Rewriting the old UI to do scaling is still very much a work in progress (the betas have improved some vs the initial release); but the main game window is a higher priority for the rework than the editor.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 31
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 12/11/2017 8:25:51 PM   
John T_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

Well, not looking good in the editor. If I use bigger fonts the bigger words are escaping the windows. At least in my case.
I understand a new editor is in the works and the current one is (really) old code so... maybe the only option for the editor for 4k screen users is using a custom resolution for now.
If I'm wrong, I'm all ears.
The good thing is that things are working great in game with the scaling option.

The thing that does not work for me was to only use the initial instructions in this thread,
my screen never got "downsized" even if I changed the screen resolution for the computer.

But this "override high DPI scaling behavious" was the thing that made it work.

The strange thing is that if I use the option "system enhanced" it causes a lot of debug messages on screen
like:
debug
i99511g
Bitmap dx 1556 > 900

and keeps going that way

while compatibility "system" works fine.

so this is the setting that does not work for the game but opens the force editor OK
while selecting "System" in the dropdown it seems to work.

I just thought I found a workaround,
I'm not complaining ;)

hope I did nt confuse too many readers,
i such case just disregard this post.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John T_MatrixForum -- 12/11/2017 8:35:44 PM >

/John T

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 32
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 12/12/2017 9:44:25 AM   
Shadrach

I've reported the "System (Enhanced)" thing through the Support system, not heard anything back.

It would be nice if it worked, as the regular "System" scaling is very blurry, and Enhanced is a major improvement in terms of blurriness.

For me after the patch which allowed a bit of icon scaling I don't really have much problems with the default scaling any more, and it keeps things crisp and unit icons looking great.

But for 4K users, things will probably be different.

(in reply to John T_MatrixForum)
Post #: 33
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 6/22/2018 7:04:04 AM   
philsublime

I tried some things recommended here, but it doesn't work for me. I'm running Windows 10 on a Macbook Pro with retina display. The game runs fine but the menus and hud elements are tiny. Impossible to read...

The scaling options only seems to affect the icons themselves. Fonts remain extremely small.

What should I do?

< Message edited by philsublime -- 6/22/2018 10:23:39 AM >

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 34
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 6/23/2018 11:21:18 AM   
Shadrach

Phil - I assume you are running a DPI scaling setting in Windows?
If so the system will try to scale fonts so they match the setting. However in the game the dialogs are of a fixed size so it doesn't really work.

Best way is probably to go through the font sizes in the Fonts Editor, pg. 2 in the Player Options. There's a lot to go go through, and a chore, but just try to increase size by say 2 all over.

(in reply to philsublime)
Post #: 35
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 6/28/2018 8:26:15 PM   
philsublime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

Phil - I assume you are running a DPI scaling setting in Windows?
If so the system will try to scale fonts so they match the setting. However in the game the dialogs are of a fixed size so it doesn't really work.

Best way is probably to go through the font sizes in the Fonts Editor, pg. 2 in the Player Options. There's a lot to go go through, and a chore, but just try to increase size by say 2 all over.

Thanks for the help. I'll try that, as soon as I get the chance. Little busy now...

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 36
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 8/18/2018 5:03:11 PM   
Navaronegun

I am very disappointed by the small fonts and DPI scaling issues. I can see why this wasn't offered on Steam. Is there any patch fix to these issues yet? Even we grogs want something that actually works out of the box on a large monitor on Windows 10.

You people are telling me what you think I want to know. I want to know what is actually happening.
General Creighton Abrams

Post #: 37
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 10/8/2018 2:44:01 PM   
philsublime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Navaronegun

I am very disappointed by the small fonts and DPI scaling issues. I can see why this wasn't offered on Steam. Is there any patch fix to these issues yet? Even we grogs want something that actually works out of the box on a large monitor on Windows 10.

On my 27" screen pc I can at least play it. On my macbook with retina display, it's impossible. And I'm not going to invest hours fiddling around with font sizes and stuff like that. I also have the same Problem with War in the West and Decisive Campaigns.

It's funny, I installed some old John Tiller Games on my mac and they scale perfectly fine...

(in reply to Navaronegun)
Post #: 38
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 10/9/2018 3:36:39 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: philsublime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Navaronegun

On my 27" screen pc I can at least play it. On my macbook with retina display, it's impossible. And I'm not going to invest hours fiddling around with font sizes and stuff like that. I also have the same Problem with War in the West and Decisive Campaigns.

It's funny, I installed some old John Tiller Games on my mac and they scale perfectly fine...

Four settings would allow you to make everything bigger, except for one thing:

-in the Opart 4 Fonts.ini:
[Scaling]
Graphics=1

All the interface boxes would respond to this setting, try values over 1

-Of course the fonts, though is a pain in the a$$ to discover which value to change in the different fonts

-the "Y-zoom" levels, with the Y key or the button on the panel. Makes everything in the map bigger.

-Opart 4.ini file: HugeIcons=Y this would make the unit counter in the unit panel to appear in the huge size although you could not make it any bigger, even applying the scaling factor, and this is the exception that I mentioned earlier.

Post #: 39
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 10/9/2018 8:36:45 PM   
hingram

I have the same Mac problem but it does the same thing to Remote Desktop

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 40
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 3/27/2019 9:43:48 AM   
kaef

There is talk about editing the Opart 4.ini file but there is no such file in my "The Operational Art of War IV" directory. The only .ini file is "Opart 3 Fonts Chinese.ini". This concerns the Steam edition.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 41
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 3/27/2019 11:05:05 AM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaef
There is talk about editing the Opart 4.ini file but there is no such file in my "The Operational Art of War IV" directory. The only .ini file is "Opart 3 Fonts Chinese.ini". This concerns the Steam edition.

The file is in your "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV" directory.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 3/27/2019 11:06:13 AM >

(in reply to kaef)
Post #: 42
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 3/27/2019 1:04:34 PM   
kaef

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaef

The file is in your "Documents\My Games\The Operational Art of War IV" directory.

For Steam it is typically "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Operational Art of War IV" but there are no relevant .ini files there. Everything else is there though.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 43
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 3/27/2019 7:04:34 PM   
Shadrach

Your Documents\My Games folder, not Program Files...

(in reply to kaef)
Post #: 44
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 7/10/2019 2:49:54 AM   
eddieballgame

There is always 'Magnifier' which works well for turn base games.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 45
RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. - 4/17/2021 4:32:08 PM   
amattin

I see this thread has not been used in a while, maybe everyone went blind from trying to read the tiny icons... ;)

New player here, I used the font adjustment from the forum and just found the scaling setting in Opart 4 Fonts.ini which does help. Aside from these technical things I'm enjoying the game. It would be great if some of the settings were a bit more user friendly. I understand that it's an older game infrastructure, but it's still $40 on Steam. At any rate, looking forward to playing this a bit scaled up! (my resolution is 2160x3840, and with the scaling at 1.3 its much easier on my eyes. I may further tweak it but this is a good start.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> RE: 4K and other Resolution Issues. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI