Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stock VS Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Stock VS Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stock VS Mod - 11/18/2017 2:22:59 AM   
RedTaurus

I've been playing the stock games against the AI. And I still have a lot to learn - lol. In the AARs, it seems like most of those games are mods. Is there something wrong with the stock game that the mods fix, or have you all been playing so long that you are bored with stock so you made up mods?

T
Post #: 1
RE: Stock VS Mod - 11/18/2017 2:37:42 AM   
btd64

Your second choice. Although I did go back to stock on occasion....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to RedTaurus)
Post #: 2
RE: Stock VS Mod - 11/18/2017 8:35:20 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Nothing wrong with stock scenarios that would render them unplayable. But mods add more units and more chrome (graphics), correct database glitches, and some alter parameters that affect combat results. All this either to render the game more historically accurate - in the eye of the mod designer - or to create alternate history 'what if' scenarios.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 11/18/2017 8:36:23 AM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Stock VS Mod - 11/18/2017 11:37:21 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedTaurus

I've been playing the stock games against the AI. And I still have a lot to learn - lol. In the AARs, it seems like most of those games are mods. Is there something wrong with the stock game that the mods fix, or have you all been playing so long that you are bored with stock so you made up mods?

T

When many refer to stock it's the scenarios, not the patches and upgrades. So stock now is usually quite different than when the game was released and it's much improved.

Definitely upgrade to the latest beta patch to get fixes to bugs, better user interface, improvements to AA and air coordination, and lots of other useful things.

If you want to go even more historically accurate, try the DBB mods that are essentially reworked stock scenarios with more accurate AA, some reductions in cargo carrying to simulate real issues both sides had to face, and some other tougher fixes that make the game pace slow a bit and become less predictable.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to RedTaurus)
Post #: 4
RE: Stock VS Mod - 11/18/2017 6:34:57 PM   
Aurorus

There is nothing wrong with the stock game. There are a lot of "ahistorical" or hypothetical mods available now. The most popular "historical" mod is DBB, which adds some units. I recently began two games of DBB: one DBB-lite, which modifies only the air and naval units, and one DBB, which changes some ground units as well. I have no interest in playing "ahistorical" or "hypothetical" mods, but for those who do, there are now several options.

In my opinion, much of the tinkering with the ground units in DBB adds more rear area clicking, which is not something that I relish. DBB-lite is my favorite campaign as it contains slightly more accurate naval and air units without extra rear-area clicking, but, the stock game with either the latest beta or offical patch is perfectly acceptable. I have no objection to playing stock, DBB, or DBB-lite. Finding a good opponent, who is friendly and committed to the game, is more important to enjoying the campaign than whether one plays stock or a mod.

(in reply to RedTaurus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Stock VS Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI