Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Notes to guys at Matrix - Sample rates (long tech-post)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Notes to guys at Matrix - Sample rates (long tech-post) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Notes to guys at Matrix - Sample rates (long tech-post) - 5/30/2001 1:50:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

Guys at Matrix! You should really recheck this music-file (1005.wav) - It's sample rate is 48Khz! Many new sound cards can handle 48Khz sounds, but many cheaper (+ older) cards just cant hack it (only to 44.1Khz, which is CD-audio frequency) This was hardly intentional. No game even today uses such high rates in sound effects. 48Khz sample frequency is commonly used in DVD-video, NOT in PC-gaming. So if there are people who are having problems with sounds, you should check these kind of problems first. Also some songs clip very hard, ruining sound quality badly. Now this is not very professional, is it? :rolleyes: There is even one music that is 4-BIT (yes, no typo) 11025Hz, Stereo-file. :eek: Some suggestions: 1.Resampling all music to 22050Hz, 16bit, Stereo. Adding dynamic compression to avoid clipping. Currently there are 8-bit/16-bit, Stereo/Mono-files. - Sample rates vary widely also. 32000Hz, 22050Hz, 16000Hz, 10025Hz.... Not very smart. 2.Also some sound effects use 44.1Khz rates. Simple resampling to 22050Hz should help to reduce file sizes A LOT. [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Peregrine Falcon ] [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Peregrine Falcon ]

--Peregrine Falcon--
Post #: 1
- 5/30/2001 4:02:00 AM   
Arralen

This is shurely the cause for all those sound related problems .. looks like the SBlive (amongst other cards) has some problems playing all these different formats at once. But going for 22kHz sampling freq. won't do much good .. this will result into -6 dB at 9,5 kHz or something like that .. your phone would sound better, really. 32kHz should be fine. Only ambient sounds need to be stereo, all the sound effects can be mono as you'll have the unit firing/on fire right in the middle of the screen most times .. and there's no way to use left/right channel for stereo sound effects anyway, or did I miss something ? A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Peregrine Falcon)
Post #: 2
- 5/30/2001 6:23:00 AM   
Alby

I tried to play that sound(1005) and I get message saying its corrupted and cannot be played...same with 1004 how about you? :confused: [ May 29, 2001: Message edited by: Alby ]

Post #: 3
- 5/30/2001 6:39:00 AM   
pops

Don't knock the stereo sound...one of the things I have always thought SPWAW did well was the sounds...they might not reflect a sound coming from the left side of the map for example but the stereo surround of the sounds in general is something I have always enjoyed. Mono would be a huge step back!

Post #: 4
- 5/30/2001 6:48:00 AM   
Belisarius

I guess I'm lucky to have a soft-clipping circuit in my amp, then :D Got occasional problems with sound, although not too bad yet... Btw, are SU Rifle squads supposed to make that HIGHLY annoying whiplash sound when they're firing? And if that's the case, what kind of weapon makes that kind of sound?

Got StuG?

Post #: 5
- 5/30/2001 12:54:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Belisarius: I guess I'm lucky to have a soft-clipping circuit in my amp, then :D Got occasional problems with sound, although not too bad yet... Btw, are SU Rifle squads supposed to make that HIGHLY annoying whiplash sound when they're firing? And if that's the case, what kind of weapon makes that kind of sound?
Hello, I've always imagined that the whiplash sound is the bullets tearing through the air around my (or the enemy's) troops. Quite a good sound I think.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 6
- 5/30/2001 11:18:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Arralen: This is shurely the cause for all those sound related problems .. looks like the SBlive (amongst other cards) has some problems playing all these different formats at once. But going for 22kHz sampling freq. won't do much good .. this will result into -6 dB at 9,5 kHz or something like that .. your phone would sound better, really.. Uh, really? 75%-80% of sounds in SPWAW have sample rates of 22050Hz. Most PC-games today use 22Khz sample rate. Sorry, but you dont seem to understand this technical thing here. I'm talking about sample rates (no. of 16/8-bit samples per second) - not how high they are. 32kHz should be fine. No. There is not much difference between 22Khz & 32Khz samples. Only ambient sounds need to be stereo, all the sound effects can be mono as you'll have the unit firing/on fire right in the middle of the screen most times .. and there's no way to use left/right channel for stereo sound effects anyway, or did I miss something ? A.
Yes. You are really missing something here. Music and ambient (background) effects sound really fine even if converted to mono, but many sound effects (guns etc.), use both channels, and without that vital information, they sound pretty flat. You dont need directional (left/right) sounds much in SPWAW, but both channels are really essential. Most of the sound effects I make are originally from movies, and some of the sounds use both channels, even without directionality (left -> right) Some of the sounds I have made ARE mono-sounds. But these sounds just fine, even with single channel.

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 7
- 5/30/2001 11:37:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Belisarius: I guess I'm lucky to have a soft-clipping circuit in my amp, then :D Got occasional problems with sound, although not too bad yet... Btw, are SU Rifle squads supposed to make that HIGHLY annoying whiplash sound when they're firing? And if that's the case, what kind of weapon makes that kind of sound?
Like I said before in this forum, it sounds like a crossbreed between Indiana Jones & Infantry LMG ;) I'm going to replace that sound pretty soon anyway :)

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 8
- 5/31/2001 12:34:00 AM   
steel

I believe that Matrix has "certificate" sounds.Sad to hear that. It is good that somebody do something to voices. I like more stero than mono sounds of corse. Many sounds has strange disturbance. I always believe that it is my soundcard or speaker cause ? but it probably bad sound sorce ? Steel :mad: :mad: :mad:

Post #: 9
- 6/1/2001 5:17:00 AM   
Gloo

quote:

Originally posted by Peregrine Falcon: ...Some of the sounds I have made ARE mono-sounds. But these sounds just fine, even with single channel.
That's absolutely correct! The sounds you released lately are greatly improving the average sound environnement! I really think you're right about that various and incongruous sampling rates. Btw I'm using a SB Live and never noticed any audio problem as reported in another thread, despite I also use a VIA chipset. Do you plan to release an improved marsh soundtrack (or other ambient sounds)? I think it's one of the worst coming with the game imho :)

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Notes to guys at Matrix - Sample rates (long tech-post) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI