Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/26/2019 8:41:36 PM   
sPzAbt653

I believe that Opart 3.4.1.9 is the best version, and I think that the older scenarios will work wonderfully with it.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 91
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/1/2019 4:19:01 AM   
r6kunz

Greetings all who have looked at the graphics problem in Vietnam Combat Operations.

Question: why do the icon mods in Call to Arms work? I am not sure where they are stored but they work in the game. Ideas?

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 92
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/1/2019 11:22:44 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: r6kunz

Greetings all who have looked at the graphics problem in Vietnam Combat Operations.

Question: why do the icon mods in Call to Arms work? I am not sure where they are stored but they work in the game. Ideas?

They appear to be stored in ... \My Games\The Operational Art of War IV\Graphics Override\Call to Arms 1775

Would guess the VCO icon mods should be stored in the same folder structure, but in a folder with the appropriate scenario name.

Cheers

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 93
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/1/2019 4:29:19 PM   
sPzAbt653

Hi Rob, Call to Arms custom graphics [and a few others] work because the scenario designer redid them for TOAW IV. He did it because it was possible, for some scenarios it is not possible.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 94
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/2/2019 4:15:06 AM   
r6kunz

Thanks for your reply, Steve,
I must confess my ignorance here. If it can be done for Call to Arms, why can it not be done for Vietnam Combat Operations?
Thanks for your patience.
Rob

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 95
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/2/2019 7:11:36 AM   
sPzAbt653

I haven't looked at VCO so I don't know if it can or can't be done. If the original design uses more than one of the original pre-IV counter sheets, then it may be difficult or impossible to make the same graphics modifications fit onto the limiting one counter sheet that we are given with IV.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 96
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/2/2019 5:01:28 PM   
r6kunz

Steve, here is a counter sheet from VCO. To my eye it is the same size as the standard TOAW IV counter sheet. Each 8x16.

As an aside, some time ago in TOAWIV when Tomas et al were debating about where to download TOAW (Program file or documents file I believe), I could swear I saw the Stéphane counters in the games I was testing. Now I have tried all the permutations of placing the graphics and I do not see them in the game. Or did I just imagine them?

Where should the counters be loaded in TOAWIV? My thought is with Call to Arm but I have not been able to find where it is located on my system.
Thanks
RAK

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by r6kunz -- 10/2/2019 5:06:21 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 97
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/2/2019 7:22:57 PM   
sPzAbt653

Rob, the thing is that those counter sheets will not be used in TOAW IV no matter where you put them. TOAW IV uses a different sheet, just one, and it is called Counter_Units. You can modify that one all you like, but you can only use that one sheet. If Stéphane used more than one in his scenarios, then you will have to try and noodle thru them to see what changes were made, and if it is possible to transfer them to the 'new' Counter_Units. If he only used one sheet, then we can easily transfer his graphics to IV.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 98
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/2/2019 7:26:36 PM   
sPzAbt653

Call to Arms is here, but I don't know if it is the latest:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4384854

EDIT: If you had access to the original Call to Arms, you would see that he used about 20 counter sheets. For IV, he combined all of those changes into the one CounterUnits sheet that IV uses. This is what any of us would have to try to do if the pre-IV target scenario used more than one sheet.

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 10/2/2019 7:29:21 PM >

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 99
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/2/2019 7:51:29 PM   
Zovs

I briefly looked at the three of the counter-sheets that Stéphane used and they are NOT compatible with the way TOAW IV handles things. So they won't show up at all in their current state (see my post # 69 above). To create a new set of icons you'd have to use only specific slots, and Stéphane did do that on the various sheets on some he used one spot and on others a different slot but there are conflicts from what I could tell (i.e., two different sheets uses the same icon slot but for a different graphic so it won't work like that).

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 100
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/3/2019 3:41:39 PM   
r6kunz

Thanks, Steve, Zovs, et. al.,

As I understand it, if I could consolidate the special icons on one countersheet, it could be used by all of the countersheets. I realize, of course, that a new image for, say, CIDG, will appear on all countersheets and adjustments may need to be made.

I reviewed the individual Vietnam Combat Operations countersheets for TOAWIII.

The critical icons are on the yellow ARVN sheets: Regional Force (RF, the troops I worked with), Biet Dong Quan ( BDQ Ranger), BDR (Border Ranger), CIDG, Marine Infantry, CAG (Civil Action Group), Mike Force. A few others on the US Army, US Navy, US Marines. Almost all other combatants are standard NATO symbols.

Each of the Stéphane's thirteen countersheets has a unique HQ. Most are the country flag. Nice for game realism, but for now the generic HQ icon will suffice.

The question is how can I create a single new countersheet?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 101
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/3/2019 4:33:32 PM   
Zovs

r6kunz,

You'll need to locate and make a copy of the TOAW IV h_unit.png file and that will be what you'll want to modify.

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 102
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/3/2019 7:10:33 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

The question is how can I create a single new countersheet?

I'm sure that Bob would be more than happy to show you how easy and quickly it can be done. [Extreme sarcasm there].

Put all the files on your laptop and we'll meet halfway for lunch and figure it out.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 103
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/3/2019 10:57:46 PM   
Raindem

Just noticed this thread.

Yes, I converted Call to Arms to work with T4's graphics system. You are not really converting the scenario's graphics. What you are doing is re-drawing them in a new format. You then have to go through the OOB and re-select colors, icons, and unit sizes for all effected units (which in Call to Arms was nearly all of them). The more familiar you are with the scenario the easier this process is.

It is sad that so many legacy scenarios do not appear or play correctly in T4. But for the well-designed ones, like VCO, I'm sure it's worth the effort to bring it up to date.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 104
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/8/2019 9:14:02 PM   
r6kunz

Thanks, Curt,
So if I want to re-draw the graphics, can you direct me to a tutorial for doing that? I think if I could construct Stéphane's ARVN countersheet (above) I could use it for most all of the nationalites (since most units use NATO symbol).
I would, of course, not be able to use the nationality flags in the HQ units. A nice touch, but we may need to wait

p.s. Nice work on Call to Arms. It compliments Rick Atkinson's The British are Coming.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 105
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/8/2019 11:47:29 PM   
Raindem

Thanks.

I used GIMP. It's a free download. I don't remember if I had access to a tutorial. I'll look in my old files and if I find anything useful I'll post it for you.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 106
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/9/2019 12:36:24 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

Thanks.

I've used GIMP. It's a free download. I don't remember if I had access to a tutorial. I'll look in my old files and if I find anything useful I'll post it for you.

I've been using paint.net. GIMP is good, but I find paint.net a bit easier to use. Its also free.

Regards, RhinoBones

Attachment (1)

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 107
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 10/9/2019 7:24:31 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

I would, of course, not be able to use the nationality flags in the HQ units. A nice touch, but we may need to wait

You could use the .col file to get the counter background and icon colors in the colors of the respective national flags. Won't have the "flag look" like the cool stripes on the RVN units, but it would be closer than random colors.

Cheers

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 108
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/5/2020 8:39:00 PM   
apresby

EDIT: Actually, forgive the re-necro'd thread but let me actually ask a clear question:

Are the VCO scenarios playable as designed in TOAW 4. Sorry but it's not clear to me (a comparative TOAW newbie) if the VCO series plays correctly in TOAW 4 or if I should go back to my copy of TOAW 3 to play these masterpieces.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
V/R
feld

< Message edited by apresby -- 9/7/2020 1:13:12 AM >

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 109
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 5/24/2021 1:04:11 PM   
Hellen_slith

bump for VCO goodness :)

(in reply to Aetius_Varras)
Post #: 110
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 6/4/2021 4:18:15 PM   
Hellen_slith

a bump (one of these days I'm going to finish vol 1 and post AAR

(in reply to Aetius_Varras)
Post #: 111
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 6/10/2021 12:05:56 AM   
Hellen_slith

was logged in thought I would bump before it wandered down into page 2. I need to fire up TOAWIII and give this one a whirl. I had it working in TOAWIV, would like to experience this in III :)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 112
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 6/10/2021 2:01:44 AM   
r6kunz

Post #66:
quote:

Greetings,
This might be a place to mention Boonierat's very unique addition to the wargame genre'. He provided a very in-depth manual that includes a week-by-week outline of the war, and the operations (think Operation Cedar Falls, etc.), and Missions ("establish CIDG camp 25,47"). Each of these is awarded VP, in addition to the usual VP for towns and destroyed units.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 113
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI