Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Screenshot - new base flags

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Screenshot - new base flags Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Screenshot - new base flags - 5/21/2003 11:29:33 PM   
Joel Billings

Here's a screenshot with the new nationality flags in use.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
- 5/21/2003 11:33:54 PM   
Kaakao

Awesome, nice work ! :)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
- 5/22/2003 1:24:23 AM   
Zakhal

What are those three icons in the bottom right...airplane engine, airframe and tank?

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

Post #: 3
- 5/22/2003 1:55:41 AM   
Nikademus

correct.

Armored vehicle/airframe/airplane engine

Post #: 4
- 5/22/2003 4:49:03 AM   
jcjordan

Since you now have flags to represent individual countries & I guess commands, will you be able to change the command that a base is assigned to like in PACWAR?

Post #: 5
- 5/22/2003 5:03:01 AM   
Joel Billings

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcjordan
[B]Since you now have flags to represent individual countries & I guess commands, will you be able to change the command that a base is assigned to like in PACWAR? [/B][/QUOTE]

That's the plan.

Post #: 6
- 5/22/2003 6:17:44 AM   
pasternakski

Excellent stuff. I just have one suggestion. How about losing the ugly white star on baby poop green marker for U.S. bases and substituting the nifty American flag I picked up from Spooky's site for UV? I also like the "rising sun" flag instead of the plain meatball-in-a-white-square thingie.

I don't see what you used for Ozzie bases, but the marker in PacWar's most recent editions was awfully nice.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 7
- 5/22/2003 6:27:17 AM   
Zakhal

The us army light green with white start flag is a tad poopy. I always use the american flag in UV even. Much better.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

Post #: 8
- 5/22/2003 7:30:29 AM   
Fred98

In my humble opinion, the base flags in UV are better than the rising sun and the stars and stripes.

The flags are too small to have too many colours and I don’t want the map to look like a circus.

As for the other nationalities, the flags need to have a purpose, otherwise they just add to the colours, thereby detracting from the lovely map graphics.

Post #: 9
- 5/22/2003 7:42:53 AM   
Platoonist

I like the way the map is shaping up....hey I think I see the Ho Chi Minh Trail.:D

Post #: 10
That's the way - uh huh, uh huh, I like it - 5/22/2003 7:55:38 AM   
pasternakski

Along with a nice representation of the Ozzie flag, which is one of the great designs of all time.

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 11
- 5/22/2003 9:07:40 AM   
Fred98

You like our flag?

Some of us would like to be rid of the Union Jack from the corner.

There are no Aussie flags in your screen shot.

Post #: 12
- 5/22/2003 10:06:54 AM   
Raverdave

Yup, I would much prefer to have the Eureka (Southern Cross) flag instead of what we have now.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 13
- 5/22/2003 11:01:46 AM   
Aussie

How about the boxing kangaroo flag? :)

If we were to go along the path of removing all reminders of our British colonial heritage, then I suppose we would have to change quite a few place names in Australia as well. We had a referendum vote a few years back to become a republic - must have been only some of us who wanted one?

Post #: 14
- 5/22/2003 5:58:29 PM   
Raverdave

Actually I like the NT flag, but not the poofy flower.:rolleyes:

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 15
- 5/22/2003 8:41:56 PM   
Sonny

What are those three menu bar buttons to the right of the TF list button - you know, where the combat replay button is in UV. Looks like a checker board a boat and a (?)lighthouse(?) or something like that.:confused:

Post #: 16
- 5/23/2003 3:03:09 AM   
Joel Billings

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonny
[B]What are those three menu bar buttons to the right of the TF list button - you know, where the combat replay button is in UV. Looks like a checker board a boat and a (?)lighthouse(?) or something like that.:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Control Zones (where you set areas of the map to human or computer control), Auto-Convoy system (where you set aside ships and indicate which bases you want those ships to run convoys to), Strategic Map. The second icon is supposed to be a transport, and I agree the third icon is very unclear. These are all new features in WitP.

Post #: 17
- 5/23/2003 6:25:54 AM   
pasternakski

Is there any differentiation among weather zones that is graphically displayed?

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 18
- 5/23/2003 7:49:39 AM   
Zakhal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nikademus
[B]correct.

Armored vehicle/airframe/airplane engine [/B][/QUOTE]

*drrooling* I know nothing about japanese airplane engines, sounds like im about to get a lesson.;) Even dreamt of getting witp last night...had a rude awakening just when i was reading the manual.

Pacwar was so awesom over ten years ago.

Post #: 19
- 5/23/2003 8:00:27 AM   
Platoonist

I'm drooling as well....I may need a bib for the next few months.

Pacific War was amazingly ambitious for it's day. (1992) I believe this is the first game to tackle the subject since then with the possible exception of 360-Pacific's Victory at Sea. A game which gave us James F. Dunnigans' book of the same name and then disappeared.

Post #: 20
- 5/23/2003 5:43:45 PM   
Luskan

Unfortunately I had the dubious honour of knowing the woman (Mrs Jones believe it or not) who lead the "NO" campaign. She seemed to be a nice enough lady (her daughter was hot), but couldn't cook ;) Truth was she thought of a NO to the referendum as "Yes, we'd like a Republic, but not the design that was put forward". Apparently the constitutional design of the republic was a bit shabby.

We only need one more idiot as governor general and the Queen will probably disown us anyway ;)

Besides, I sort of like the flag - has a lot of history and pride attached to it that a new one wouldn't have - Union Jack or not.

However our national anthem could use an upgrade - every other nation I can think of (even to some smaller south american nations) have catchy, even inspiring music for their anthems. Star Spangled Banner and God Save the Queen are both better tunes than our present "thing".

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

Post #: 21
- 5/23/2003 7:29:51 PM   
Drongo

Posted by Luskan
[QUOTE]However our national anthem could use an upgrade - every other nation I can think of (even to some smaller south american nations) have catchy, even inspiring music for their anthems. Star Spangled Banner and God Save the Queen are both better tunes than our present "thing".[/QUOTE]

Fair go, I only just got to know the words.

Dah-dum dah-dum de-dum-dum-dum,
Ad-vance Aus-tra-lia...um...beer?

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

Post #: 22
- 5/23/2003 7:48:57 PM   
Drongo

Posted by RavingDave
[QUOTE]Yup, I would much prefer to have the Eureka (Southern Cross) flag instead of what we have now.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to that.

Mind you, the Matrix mob have done a fair job on getting (almost) all the stars of our current flag onto its tiny WitP game icon.

Don't think the Kiwis would be impressed with the current game version of their flag though. The farmer's only wearing one gumboot (it should be two) and the sheep all look like clouds on sticks.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

Post #: 23
- 5/23/2003 8:05:22 PM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drongo
[B]Posted by RavingDave

Ditto to that.

Mind you, the Matrix mob have done a fair job on getting (almost) all the stars of our current flag onto its tiny WitP game icon.

Don't think the Kiwis would be impressed with the current game version of their flag though. The farmer's only wearing one gumboot (it should be two) and the sheep all look like clouds on sticks. [/B][/QUOTE] :D :D

Post #: 24
- 5/23/2003 9:09:07 PM   
Sonny

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joel Billings
[B]Control Zones (where you set areas of the map to human or computer control), Auto-Convoy system (where you set aside ships and indicate which bases you want those ships to run convoys to), Strategic Map. The second icon is supposed to be a transport, and I agree the third icon is very unclear. These are all new features in WitP. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the enlightenment. I figured the second one had something to do with shipping but the other two did not ring any bells. Now I can see that the checkerboard button would be Control Zones. the third one...well, now that we know what it is it does not matter what the icon looks like.:)

Post #: 25
- 5/24/2003 9:11:15 PM   
Shot2Pieces

The map really is looking beautiful, this game is going to be fantastic.:)

Post #: 26
- 5/28/2003 8:52:36 AM   
pad152

Looking good, more buttons = more toys to play with :)

Post #: 27
- 5/28/2003 11:19:13 AM   
Chijohnaok2

[QUOTE]However our national anthem could use an upgrade - every other nation I can think of (even to some smaller south american nations) have catchy, even inspiring music for their anthems. Star Spangled Banner and God Save the Queen are both better tunes than our present "thing".[/QUOTE]

Here's a link to the text and music file in RealPlayer file for the Aussie anthem.

http://www.pm.gov.au/aust_focus/nat_symbols/anthem.htm

PS I have to agree with your assessment. I mean that I have always thought that the Star Spangled Banner was one of the most un-singable songs I had ever heard, but I have to rethink my opinion now.

Please, don't take offense at this but it sort of sounds like a Julie Andrew's rendition of the song "Edelweiss" from the Sound of Music. Not what you'd typically like to project to promote your country's perception of strength and national fortitude.
[URL=http://www.pm.gov.au/aust_focus/nat_symbols/anthem.htm]www.pm.gov.au/aust_focus/nat_symbols/anthem.htm[/URL]

Post #: 28
- 5/28/2003 2:17:04 PM   
Aussie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luskan
[B]...However our national anthem could use an upgrade - every other nation I can think of (even to some smaller south american nations) have catchy, even inspiring music for their anthems. Star Spangled Banner and God Save the Queen are both better tunes than our present "thing". [/B][/QUOTE]

Now Waltzing Matilda has been suggested, but the song being about a suicidal sheep stealing itenerant and all... :D

I prefer the Jimi Hendrix version of SSB. Unfortunately he never got around to doing a rendition of Advance Australia Fair.
:cool:

Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Screenshot - new base flags Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI