Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW questions - 11/29/2017 4:38:45 AM   
osiris_slith

I have TOAW III so a few questions before buying.......

Can players control reinforcements? As in the player chooses which formation to reinforce?

Is there a option for combined arms attack?

Are aircraft always on limited supply after the first few turns or has this been fixed? Correct me wrong but the allied air forces were if anything oversupplied...and even the axis had local air support right into 1944 late on the eastern front and fuel didnt become became a problem until late 44/early 45..........

Do units lose attack/defense points for just moving or has this been fixed or is it a game feature behind the scenes some kind of attrition thingy?

Has limited stacking been introduced. Cramming 8-10 divisions into a 25km scale hex in TOAW was never realistic

Finally..last question..do retreating units retreat or do they advance? Cause in TOAW III retreating units sometimes go in the opposite direction then of course u have to chase them..Has a mechanism been introduced so retreating units retreat towards their HQ and instead of having Russian units retreat towards Berlin in 1941

Some players choose the cowardly and very dishonorable tactic of using blockers like bridge engineers..Has a mechanism been introduced so that blockers that have a weaker DF walue then the AF value of the retreating unit get their butt kicked? There by forcing the aforementioned dishonorable players to put in a actual combat unit to block the retreat?

< Message edited by osiris -- 11/29/2017 4:42:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW questions - 11/29/2017 4:59:58 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

ORIGINAL: osiris

I have TOAW III so a few questions before buying.......

quote:

Can players control reinforcements? As in the player chooses which formation to reinforce?

Nope, same as in III.

quote:

Is there a option for combined arms attack?

Don`t know what that means. Depending on scale, most units are already combined arms.

quote:

Are aircraft always on limited supply after the first few turns or has this been fixed? Correct me wrong but the allied air forces were if anything oversupplied...and even the axis had local air support right into 1944 late on the eastern front and fuel didnt become became a problem until late 44/early 45..........

I guess this is scenario specific.

quote:

Do units lose attack/defense points for just moving or has this been fixed or is it a game feature behind the scenes some kind of attrition thingy?

Yes, not a bug, units did lose some equipment because of moving. And men/horses get tired.

quote:

Has limited stacking been introduced. Cramming 8-10 divisions into a 25km scale hex in TOAW was never realistic

Limited stacking was already limited to 9 units per hex. Also there's a penalty to it. Again, the same as in III. And I bet you could find some RL examples of 8-10 divs in 25km front.

quote:

Finally..last question..do retreating units retreat or do they advance? Cause in TOAW III retreating units sometimes go in the opposite direction then of course u have to chase them..Has a mechanism been introduced so retreating units retreat towards their HQ and instead of having Russian units retreat towards Berlin in 1941

I think that units were supposed to retreat to their HQ or supply source already in III. But I agree that sometimes that didn`t happen. Don't know if that's improved in IV.

quote:

Some players choose the cowardly and very dishonorable tactic of using blockers like bridge engineers..Has a mechanism been introduced so that blockers that have a weaker DF walue then the AF value of the retreating unit get their butt kicked? There by forcing the aforementioned dishonorable players to put in a actual combat unit to block the retreat?

The latest patches of TOAW III addressed some of that I think. But I´ll let other answer this one.

(in reply to osiris_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW questions - 11/29/2017 5:29:26 AM   
osiris_slith

thank you for replying...

i will try to clarify the combined arms for e.g

An infantry division attacks a enemy infantry division in a hex..so i detach a panzer regiment to provide support the attack. Because the infantry and panzer regiment are in the same hex and are attacking together at the same time (hence combined arms attack). Now does the attacker get a bonus here? If i attack only with the infantry division then its not a combined arms attack hence no attack bonus.

So in other words
INFANTRY + ARMOR + ARTILLERY + AIR SUPPORT = combined arms attack hence extra attack/defense bonus

6AF + 6 AF + 10 AF + 5 AF= 27 Attack factors ( Combined arms bonus e.g +8 AF ) hence 35 attack factors due to force multipliers working together against the same target hex

Does this make sense..or not clear?

if not in the game thats too bad but it really should be other wise there is no way to distinguish a Napolean cavalry charge from a combined panzer/infantry/air attack

just wondering

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW questions - 11/29/2017 5:41:28 AM   
Meyer1

Almost in bed Just a few words:
The bonus is implicit in the game calculations, if you are attcking an armor unit with your infantry in open terrain, you are not gonna do much damages unless the infantry is supported by AT weapons. Also there's a distinction between "active" (armor, infantry etc) and "pasive" equipment (trucks, artillery...), passive eqipemnt only atkes damaged from artillery unless the unit is "outflanked".
This is game that is very complex under the hood, specially in the combat calculations. Take a look at the III manual.

(in reply to osiris_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW questions - 11/29/2017 6:15:43 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I think that units were supposed to retreat to their HQ or supply source already in III. But I agree that sometimes that didn`t happen. Don't know if that's improved in IV.

It does seem that units retreat more often towards the nearest Supply Point, which sometimes means they will go the 'wrong way'. Depending on the scenario, you can place a Supply Point somewhere that will help with this issue.

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> TOAW questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI