Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mod Combining Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Mod Combining Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mod Combining Help - 12/7/2017 8:53:36 PM   
PhenomPhear

I sometimes feel like I need to be degauss'ed. *As one would de-stress*

Alright so, I could really use some help. I have been making some changes to the RetreatUEII and I've noticed several oddities.

The 3 research.txt files (1.5x and 3x, and research.txt) Are all different. And I mean in ways that do not make sense besides the slope change.

-research.txt that comes ready to go when you download the mod has several lines and techs added at the bottom that are not in the 1.5x OR the 3x files.

-more over there are changes to the bonuses of the tech in the research.txt that are not in the 1.5x or the 3x.
i.e.
ABILITIES ;Increased Construction Size, 2, 3, 800, 0 in research.txt
ABILITIES ;Increased Construction Size, 2, 3, 700, 0 in 1.5x and 3x files

1.5 and 3 are both the same in the respect that they do not have the added changes to tech. Other than that, they are what they should be.

So, with that, I also noticed the "default" modded research.txt file has the 1.5x slope. Is this considered the "best" slope? *I understand "best" is subjective, so, overall opinion is really what I'm looking for*

I guess what I'm getting at is, what was the overall intended purpose? Am I to add all the minor changes from research.txt to my preferred slope file and then rename it so the game uses it or am I supposed to just rename either of the 1.5x or 3x files and lose the additions? Or were these personal choices and changes made and accidentally left in when the mod was uploaded?

I'm just really confused about these 3 files. I understand the concept between the 3, but, I'm not sure how to execute using one over the other.

Disclaimer:
I am not criticizing anyone's work here on this forum, I think it's all excellent work and I know that it would not be here if these people did not put time into it.

Also, I have no idea how to use the perl scripts. Never used one before.

Right now I'm just using the research.txt file that comes ready named to be used with the mod when you download it.

The only other things I combined into this mod, RetreatUE, are basically the mods that are already in it (relax, I just changed the images). I personally didn't like the resources icons so I replaced all of them with the original Das Chrome (Blue) ones, minues the Gases, because those are some REALLY nice icons. I mean, I really like the He, Ca, K, etc. style icons. They look nice.

And I took a lot of the UI icons and things from the GEM mod and replaced most the current ones that came with RetreatUEII. I felt that the cursor set from GEM was more pleasing to me. I assume changing many of the images / icons is harmless. The only ones I have trouble with are the icons for uranium. Theres two. I don't know why. If I knew why, I could probably easily change them both, but, without knowing why (especially since one is a .bmp and the other a .png) I'm afraid to mess with them. Anyone know why?

So yeah, some tips on how to fill in some of inconsistencies in the galactapidea images, and stuff like that would be awesome. I kinda just feel like polishing a few things in it really, not changing too much about the gameplay, if any.

< Message edited by PhenomPhear -- 12/7/2017 8:55:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Mod Combining Help - 12/7/2017 10:58:52 PM   
BlindOne

I'm pretty sure there's actually a script file added in the mod there that allows you to change the research.txt into any kind of slope you need it to be on automatic so you don't need to make any changes manually just enter a proper slope you prefer and run the script...Not sure how it works though since I haven't tried it yet, just remember using it a long time ago (possibly with another game but similar concept).

(in reply to PhenomPhear)
Post #: 2
RE: Mod Combining Help - 12/8/2017 3:04:00 AM   
PhenomPhear

Yea, I figured, I have no idea how to use it.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Mod Combining Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI