Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why and What?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why and What? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why and What? - 5/31/2001 8:10:00 PM   
toundra

What is your favorite army and why? What is your favorite tank and why? I like to play US army or USMC Certainly a kind of consideration to all the good guys that fell to free my country... I feel good and almost invulnerable with them. My favorite tank is the Chaffee why? Only because the Chaffee look good... =P i like the speed and playing weak tanks is a challenge and i like that!

Post #: 1
- 5/31/2001 9:02:00 PM   
steel

---------------------------------------- [QUOTE]Originally posted by toundra: [QB]What is your favorite army and why? ------------------------------------------- Finland.Finns are very good sneak ability and recovery very fast when enemy aim them. Skitroops are very fast moving units.High moral and lot of firing opportunis,when moving ahead. ------------------------------------------ What is your favorite tank and why? ------------------------------------------ German Panther.It is very fast.Good armour sloop.Accurate gun.Lot of special ammunition. Steel ;)

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 2
- 5/31/2001 10:22:00 PM   
achappelle

Russians, cause you get lots, and swarming is cool. T34, cause its Russian, kicks German butt, and was the most important tank in the war.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 3
- 6/1/2001 12:23:00 AM   
slehtine

quote:

What is your favorite army and why?
USMC. Good, professional fighters, who wont give up.
quote:

What is your favorite tank and why?
Not much preferences there. Something fast, sexy and nicely painted? (Yes, I'd rather play infantry oriented battles.) -Sasa

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 4
- 6/1/2001 1:38:00 AM   
Fredde

Favourite army, the Finnish army..! Sneaky, tough, and very interesting units.. especially when playing an infantry force. I also like the Japs and once in a while Russians and Germans. Favourite tank, I like the T-34/85.. fast, decent armour, potent gun which can take out any opponent.. at least with a Finnish crew instead of a Russian :D

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 5
- 6/1/2001 1:56:00 AM   
Gloo

quote:

What is your favorite army and why?
Germans and Brits, for their special forces units.
quote:

What is your favorite tank and why?
KV8 and Panthers. The first for its really a nasty bastard when it comes to reduce dug in defenses... . The second for the look and its main gun.

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 6
- 6/1/2001 6:24:00 PM   
toundra

Not enough answers back to the top =)

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 7
- 6/1/2001 6:37:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello. What is your favorite army and why? - Germans (good quality infantry and wonderful machineguns/Inf-at weapons) and USA (also good quality infantry with lot of firepower). What is your favorite tank and why? - Panther (es precioso).

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 8
- 6/1/2001 6:43:00 PM   
risto.nikula

Finland - There is no equal to the feeling of fighting against soviet union in winter with lots of forests on a map, and when you ambush a su inf squad with finnish '44 ski squad with high fire control and 2xsuomi smg and hearing the -allways as satisfying sound sample- TULTA!(open fire!), sarrrrja!(burst), sarrrja! while watching the message box: 1 casulties 3 casulties su inf firing smoke su inf retreating 2 casulties su inf squad surrenders! Now this is life! And tanks... Who needs 'em. (ok, panther is good, but i also like british sherman firefly) [ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

Nemo saltat sorbius, nisi infanus est

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 9
- 6/1/2001 6:46:00 PM   
kurtbj

I like playing Italian or German forces, but I usually like to simulate Alpine combat so I use very little armour and take only small artillery pieces that can be easily moved. Favourite Tank is probably a JagdPanther. I'd love to create a campaign to simulate the german withdrawl from the Balkans in 44/45 with the user maybe taking control of the 7th SS Division Prinz Eugen fighting a covering withdrawl against Yugoslav, Russian and Bulgarian forces. Need to practice more with the scenario and campaign builder though. :)

'Great Sage Equal of Heaven'

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 10
- 6/1/2001 6:52:00 PM   
risto.nikula

I don know about you guys, but i'd sure like to see a campaing played only with few units with little or none tanks. Would be nice just to go guerilla, and roam on the forests and mountains only with a couple of squads striking on enemy artillery positions and supply lines.

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 11
- 6/1/2001 7:21:00 PM   
kurtbj

Thats exactly what I want. Right now I'm doing a generated campaign in Rough conditions 44/45 with 1000pts against Yugo SU and BUL forces. 2 plt SS Inf 1 plt Eng 1 sec 50mm PAK 1 sec ig75mm 1 sec pz38t 1 plt recon inf 1 sec HMG 1 plt inf AT Panzerfaust 30 1 plt pack mules I'm really enjoying the campaign so far. I know the tank is heavily outclassed but historically the 7th SS had a very varied mix of equipment and mainly used obsolete or captured tanks. I want to create a campaign to simulate the mountainous and dense terrain in the Balkans, the random maps aren't really dense enough. I much prefer the small unit skirmishes 1-1.5K than the huge battles. :D

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 12
- 6/1/2001 7:22:00 PM   
toundra

Very agree JR Maybe not without tanks but something like 2 and of course not the best... 2 Tanks or support vehicles.

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 13
- 6/1/2001 7:44:00 PM   
risto.nikula

i have so far played 2 small random generated campaing against the soviets with 500 points@ 15 battles 2 fin ski plt 2 fin eng plt 2 37mm atg 4 82mm mortars 4 mules 12 decisives 3 marginal i had great fun :) But im getting bored with random generated campaings, they are somewhat... factory like. Campaings that are currently awailable are great and i have played the very much, but there comes a time when one just gets num with playing full-scale battles with thousands of points. When you have only few squads, you really get attached to those men who bleed on the field. I have red about 40 or so books about finnish querilla warfare and long-range patrols, and i've been thinking about making a historically accurate campaing based on those books. But, altough guerilla campaing sounds good, i have some doubts about how well does spwaw "engine" handle, for example supply line destroying mission (bridge destroying) or just simple strike and get out type of mission. btw, Kurt, since you are (if im no mintaken) interrested germans, did you know that there where german alpine jeagers fightin in lappland. [ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 14
- 6/1/2001 7:54:00 PM   
kurtbj

Hi JR, Yes I think quite few German Gebirgsjaeger units served in Finland. Was it the 1st Gebirgsjager Division or maybe the 6th SS Division 'Nord'. I agree with you about smaller battles, you get much more attached to your men and really hate losing them and you enjoy watching them develop and gain experience. Every kill in a small battle has a bigger effect on the outcome. What you say about the random campaign is true, the maps and the way the AI forces fight gets a bit predictable. Kurt :)

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 15
- 6/1/2001 8:14:00 PM   
risto.nikula

Hi kurt I remember it being the "Nord". There were a german base and a prison camp near my home, and there are still old stuff around the forest, like foxholes and ammo boxes. btw, i added a comment about game engine in my previous post just before you posted reply, should check it out. (you are too fast kurt :D ) i had a grand idea: why not create a campaing aroud the "nord", just think: small force first fighting in central europe mountains, and then moving up to danmark and norway, all the way to finland fighting against the soviet bear in icy forest, and at the end fighting till the bitter end when allied started knoking on the doors of Berlin. I think this sort of campaing could get some attention over seas since -as we well know- they are not very intrested in the bitter battle between finland and ussr, but german i s another story alltogether.

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 16
- 6/1/2001 8:27:00 PM   
kurtbj

I'm surprised that not more people like the 'alternative' nations for campaigns. I'd love to take an Italian Core force or a Finnish core force on a campaign! The Campaign the the 'Nord' sounds good. I still really want to do a campaign for the 7th SS in the Balkans though, it seems from the books that I've read about it, to be so different from the other theatres. The idea of having almost no heavy artillery and any tanks used are generally captured tanks. I even read a story about men from the 7th SS having to put their money together to buy a german MG42 that they saw for sale in a local Croation market because it wasn't standard issue for them!!! This is a bit off-topic but the information I've read concerning the 7th SS seems to vary wildly.. one book claims that the 7th SS was responsible for some of the worse atrocities in the war and that as a fighting unit they were of dubious quality, whilst another book says that their fighting quality was one of the best in the whole war and at one stage they were holding off 1 whole Russian and 1 whole Bulgarian army on its own allowing other German troops to escape to Austria. It also states that the German unit had to become brutal due to the brutality of Titos forces in the region. Interestingly the book that sings the unit's praise isn't written by a German but actually a Brit! Just goes to show how wildly different written accounts can be!! :confused:

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 17
- 6/11/2001 10:28:00 PM   
Gloo

quote:

Originally posted by Kurt: Thats exactly what I want...
Your campaign design looks really cool and that's right to say skirmishes engagements are usually highly fun ones to play. On the other hand, wouldn't really appreciate to play the Prinz Eugen div for it's really an ignominous unit... :( Don't get me wrong, I know it's just a game but as some don't feel comfortable to play with the Svastika, I don't feel like playing war criminals. When I play a campaign game, I try to stick to historic conditions but I often give my leaders silly names (like col. Gloo :)). While playing more accurate battles, I don't like to use certain units. It's silly you might think and that's probably right but that's my own personal way :) Regards. [ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Gloo ] [ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Gloo ]

{:]]

"One ring to find them all..."

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 18
- 6/11/2001 10:49:00 PM   
kurtbj

Thanks for your comments. I can certainly appreciate your feelings. Personally I don't play with the Swastika symbols myself, I changed it to the Iron Cross. I know that the 7th SS has a very bad reputation for war crimes and atrocities. I'm not condoning what they did but they were fighting in some incredibly difficult conditions. The whole fighting in Yugoslavia was a mess with different partisan groups fighting each other and all sides commiting crimes. The reason I selected that unit was purely that I wanted to simulate a theatre of war that hadn't been approached before. Also in 1945 the german forces were in desperate condition and I wanted a campaign to try to simulate this. Your reaction is understandable, don't worry I'm not offended by it but I hope you might try the campgaign but pretend you are using a different division? :)

(in reply to toundra)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why and What? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI