Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 7/19/2003 5:20:12 AM   
madflava13

Just drop it. Be the better man. Grin and bear it. You don't have to constantly respond to everything and everyone. Let it go and we'll all be happier.

We've seen your AAR. Some may agree, some may not. We're going nowhere. Just let this die.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 211
- 7/19/2003 5:28:32 AM   
Chiteng

[QUOTE]Originally posted by madflava13
[B]Just drop it. Be the better man. Grin and bear it. You don't have to constantly respond to everything and everyone. Let it go and we'll all be happier.

We've seen your AAR. Some may agree, some may not. We're going nowhere. Just let this die. [/B][/QUOTE]

So your saying that I should simply allow people to say things that are untrue, and malign me w/o responding?

You see Madflava I attack no one. I didnt ressurect this thread.
Yet no one flames the poster that did. I find that very telling.

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 212
- 7/19/2003 5:29:47 AM   
Chiteng

[QUOTE]Originally posted by madflava13
[B]Just drop it. Be the better man. Grin and bear it. You don't have to constantly respond to everything and everyone. Let it go and we'll all be happier.

We've seen your AAR. Some may agree, some may not. We're going nowhere. Just let this die. [/B][/QUOTE]

By the way, I prove I am the better man already =)
I make no personal attacks, nor do I seek anyone out for flaming.

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 213
- 7/19/2003 6:27:32 AM   
madflava13

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiteng
[B]So your saying that I should simply allow people to say things that are untrue, and malign me w/o responding?

You see Madflava I attack no one. I didnt ressurect this thread.
Yet no one flames the poster that did. I find that very telling. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes I am saying that. What do you care what someone you don't know and never will meet in person says about you online? It's not really ruining your good name. Get over it.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 214
Vehicle Wreck - 7/19/2003 8:06:20 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi all,

Have you ever noticed how an accident in the lanes for oncoming traffic on the other side of the freeway means that traffic heading in your direction slows to a crawl as we all gear down for a good long look......... even though we know roughly what we'll see, it doesn't affect us personally and we're actually in a hurry to get somewhere?? At 15 pages and 3000+ views this thread just closed for 8 hours.
Or the fascination that draws a crowd to a fire or............
And yes..... I'm as guilty as the everyone else. I've just posted here after reading (wading) thru all this haven't I??;)

Mr. Moderator please remove this wreck of a thread before it gets any worse...............since none of us appears to be strong enough to do it on our own.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 215
Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/28/2003 10:32:42 PM   
Micah Goodman

I just read through all fifteen pages of this mess and I still don’t see what all the fuss is about! I never did see Chiteng’s original AAR and what he thought was the point of contention. This thread is insane! Heck, Chiteng even admitted that he didn’t care if the developers agreed with him and actually fixed what he perceives as a problem. The majority of the other posts (not all) have basically said with one degree of civility or another give me facts to support your case please. Or in a verity of ways that Chiteng is a less than pleasant person. I remember seeing this post months ago, back when it was a page or two and was surprised to see it still going strong.

The main reason that I enjoy this forum is the wealth of historical knowledge that many of its users have about the War in Pacific. My knowledge is somewhat limited but I have read an increasing number of books on this subject that has further increased my interest in this area of history. This whole thread sadly for the most part contributes little to nothing to either improving the game, or increasing a general level of historical knowledge about this time frame.

Instead we have a thread that has become a tete-a- tete between a handful of people to either a) want to get the last word in. B) Want to vent their spleen at a problem that they by their own admission do not care if it gets fixed. C) People who have tried desperately to interject some humor to lighten the mood. D) A few who have interjected some historical facts regarding B-17’s and their success or lack their of as naval attack weapons. And last but not least the final group D) the small number of people that have taken the presented facts and viewed them in such a way to support their own bias on this issue.

My experience with the 2.30 version of the game has not made B-17’s some sort of uber weapon. Sadly, I wish it did as I am playing as the Allies. However, that does not mean that there is not a problem with how it is modeled. But unless a large group of people has a problem with it the developers are unlike to tweak the game. Thankfully according to Gary Grigsby the player will have the ability to tweak the stats on weapon systems in WitP during scenario design. So this whole 15 page fiasco of a topic is really rather moot.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 216
Re: Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/29/2003 2:41:53 AM   
Chiteng

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Micah Goodman
[B]I just read through all fifteen pages of this mess and I still don’t see what all the fuss is about! I never did see Chiteng’s original AAR and what he thought was the point of contention. This thread is insane! Heck, Chiteng even admitted that he didn’t care if the developers agreed with him and actually fixed what he perceives as a problem. The majority of the other posts (not all) have basically said with one degree of civility or another give me facts to support your case please. Or in a verity of ways that Chiteng is a less than pleasant person. I remember seeing this post months ago, back when it was a page or two and was surprised to see it still going strong.

The main reason that I enjoy this forum is the wealth of historical knowledge that many of its users have about the War in Pacific. My knowledge is somewhat limited but I have read an increasing number of books on this subject that has further increased my interest in this area of history. This whole thread sadly for the most part contributes little to nothing to either improving the game, or increasing a general level of historical knowledge about this time frame.

Instead we have a thread that has become a tete-a- tete between a handful of people to either a) want to get the last word in. B) Want to vent their spleen at a problem that they by their own admission do not care if it gets fixed. C) People who have tried desperately to interject some humor to lighten the mood. D) A few who have interjected some historical facts regarding B-17’s and their success or lack their of as naval attack weapons. And last but not least the final group D) the small number of people that have taken the presented facts and viewed them in such a way to support their own bias on this issue.

My experience with the 2.30 version of the game has not made B-17’s some sort of uber weapon. Sadly, I wish it did as I am playing as the Allies. However, that does not mean that there is not a problem with how it is modeled. But unless a large group of people has a problem with it the developers are unlike to tweak the game. Thankfully according to Gary Grigsby the player will have the ability to tweak the stats on weapon systems in WitP during scenario design. So this whole 15 page fiasco of a topic is really rather moot. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well the thread made it 9 days w/o some fool posting in it.

No Micah I did NOT say I didnt care what the 'DEVELOPERS' do.
I said I didnt care what the TESTERS do.

They are NOT the same thing.

If people are so willing to see the thread die, they will have to STOP POSTING IN IT.

As for the B-17, I have seen nothing that refutes my contention.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 217
Re: Re: Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/29/2003 9:14:43 AM   
Micah Goodman

[B]Well the thread made it 9 days w/o some fool posting in it.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Name calling right off the bat.. uh ok.

[B]No Micah I did NOT say I didnt care what the 'DEVELOPERS' do.
I said I didnt care what the TESTERS do.

They are NOT the same thing.

[/B][/QUOTE]

They might not be the same thing but so far, you have not posted in this thread at least, no concrete irrefutable evidence that there is a problem. IF you take the shotgun approach and plaster your complaints over several posts or topics most people on this board will not support or agree with your argument. You could of course say something to the effect that I do not care what people on this board say only what the developers say. And to a degree you would be correct. However, if a large segment of this community agreed with you that WOULD get their attention. As it stands right now with your lack of a well organized and prepared argument you sound more like, well I hate to say it, and please do not take this personally, but you sound like one of the numerous trolls that inhabit many community message boards. I don’t think that you are I just feel that you have failed to communicate to most people that you believe that this is a game killing issue for you.

[B]If people are so willing to see the thread die, they will have to STOP POSTING IN IT.

As for the B-17, I have seen nothing that refutes my contention. [/B][/QUOTE]

Again you have seen nothing that refutes it but many myself included have seen nothing that supports your argument ether, so we have what they called in the good ole days as a standoff.

The point that I was trying to make with my post is simple; in a 15 page meandering mess you have not made a clear concise argument FOR modifying the performance of the B-17 as it is currently modeled in the game. You have responded to personal attacks either real or imagined but little else. In this respect you have allowed your detractors to dictate the flow of the argument. My advice for what it is worth is to organize your argument in one concise clear post and let the merits of your argument stand or fall. You can of course chose to ignore this advice and claim that you have already posted all of the necessary information in prior posts, that is of course your decision. But for what it is worth I am more than willing to agree with your point of view, IF your argument is well organized, to the point and factual. Others have requested that you do this in a clear and concise as well and by in large you have ignored those requests for whatever reason.

To me a factor that far out weighs the perceived imbalance of the B-17 in this game is the failure to force Allied air units to rotate out of the theater of operations as their tour ended. An Allied player can have at his disposal an air force far stronger than it was historically. That makes a larger difference in game balance as far as I am concerned. But that is just me and to be honest I do not play PBEM so my experience will differ drastically than those of you who do play PBEM.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 218
Re: Re: Re: Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/29/2003 4:39:25 PM   
Chiteng

[B]Name calling right off the bat.. uh ok.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Not really. If you want the thread to die, you must not post in it.

In the balance - according to YOUR idea of how to make an argument, 'I' have failed to make one.

So what? You assume that not only is your way valid, but that it is the only way. I do not yield to you the ability to define 'correct'
methods.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 219
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/29/2003 6:19:15 PM   
Micah Goodman

[B]Not really. If you want the thread to die, you must not post in it.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I never said I wanted the thread to die you are the one that continues to bring it up not me. So yes, you were name calling.

[B]In the balance - according to YOUR idea of how to make an argument, 'I' have failed to make one.

So what? You assume that not only is your way valid, but that it is the only way. I do not yield to you the ability to define 'correct'
methods. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well again you show that this whole argument is not an exercise in changing the game but an exercise in you venting your spleen. You do not care to influence anyone. You get a larger thrill out of wasting bandwidth. Your definition of an argument to any valid concern is so what? I don’t care, facts? I don’t need no stinking facts! By not “yielding” to constructive criticisms you are show that you have no real desire to “fix” the problem. And most, even those that agree with you on this issue, I think will take what you have to say on this or any other issue with a huge grain of salt.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 220
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/29/2003 7:00:17 PM   
Chiteng

[B]I never said I wanted the thread to die you are the one that continues to bring it up not me. So yes, you were name calling.

Well again you show that this whole argument is not an exercise in changing the game but an exercise in you venting your spleen. You do not care to influence anyone. You get a larger thrill out of wasting bandwidth. Your definition of an argument to any valid concern is so what? I don’t care, facts? I don’t need no stinking facts! By not “yielding” to constructive criticisms you are show that you have no real desire to “fix” the problem. And most, even those that agree with you on this issue, I think will take what you have to say on this or any other issue with a huge grain of salt. [/B][/QUOTE]

No that is all YOU venting YOUR spleen.
I have given facts. They were of course ignored, but none the less
I did give them. I didnt ask for critisisms nor am I being paid to take them, therefore I am NOT gratefull to recieve them.
I think judging from the number of responces that a great many people have become aware of my opinion on this topic.
Therefore, we can conclude that information WAS exchanged.
Regardless of your historonics.

If Matrix and the testers refuse to address the topic, it isnt because I didnt try and make them aware of it.
Since 'I' know the problem is valid, then if they refuse to address
it, at some point in the future, the game will either 'break' OR
the issue will be re-addressed. At that time, I will not fail to
point out that I tried to address it at a more appropriate phase.

If a playtester refuses to examine an issue, simply because they
dont like the demeanor of the presentation, then that removes
them from the 'objective' and places them in the 'non-objective' camp. I see no need to respect such testers.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 221
- 7/30/2003 1:35:34 AM   
Micah Goodman

I ask again, what facts? And where did you give them?

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 222
Hotly waste of time Batman! - 7/30/2003 1:56:40 AM   
Micah Goodman

[B]No that is all YOU venting YOUR spleen.
I have given facts. They were of course ignored, but none the less
I did give them. I didnt ask for critisisms nor am I being paid to take them, therefore I am NOT gratefull to recieve them.
I think judging from the number of responces that a great many people have become aware of my opinion on this topic.
Therefore, we can conclude that information WAS exchanged.
[/B][/QUOTE]

You can conclude all you want but that doesn’t make it true.

For some unknown reason when I have tried to help you with your argument you have become abrasive and argumentative.

[B]If a playtester refuses to examine an issue, simply because they
dont like the demeanor of the presentation, then that removes
them from the 'objective' and places them in the 'non-objective' camp. I see no need to respect such testers. [/B][/QUOTE]

So if you are rude an insulting in they way you deal with people they should say thank you, sir may I have another? As far as I know most play testers are not paid. Why would anyone other than a masochist take anything that you have to say with your arrogant and condescending tone to heart? There is nothing wrong with being arrogant as long as you can back up what you say with fact. So far you have not done so. Nor, has to my knowledge, anyone else claimed that you have. So if you don’t like being called to task for what you assert as a problem on a message board then back it up with FACTS! Not “I” know there is a problem and sense there has been much gnashing of teeth on this subject that must make it true. That proves nothing.

You may be correct in your assumption that the B-17 is in fact flawed so why don’t you show us this vast tome of information you have collected and made available? Is it top secret? Does the Department of Homeland security have to clear its release? You have YET AGAIN refused to answer this question. Taking you at your word you have shown the information to the correct people at Matrix. Why not share it? I say again I will support your call for a revision of current B-17 characteristics IF you can prove it. What is wrong with that?

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 223
- 7/30/2003 10:52:41 AM   
Chiteng

So far you have not done so. Nor, has to my knowledge, anyone else claimed that you have. So if you don’t like being called to task for what you assert as a problem on a message board then back it up with FACTS! Not “I” know there is a problem and sense there has been much gnashing of teeth on this subject that must make it true. That proves nothing.
Because the word 'facts' apparently mean different things to different people. I site Morrison and I am told he is dated.
I site Hara(Captain Hara IJN) I am told either they never heard
of him or they dont care what he has to say.
No I am NOT ging to indulge in some open-ended evidence war.
This is not a debate, it is an electronic forum.
My level of interest on the topic is finite. If Matrix publishes
a flawed product, I will certainly do my best to break it.
You people are not students and I am not being paid tuition.
Thus I have no obligation, other than AS A WARGAMER I want to see a good game.

You may be correct in your assumption that the B-17 is in fact flawed so why don’t you show us this vast tome of information you have collected and made available? Is it top secret? Does the Department of Homeland security have to clear its release? You have YET AGAIN refused to answer this question. Taking you at your word you have shown the information to the correct people at Matrix. Why not share it? I say again I will support your call for a revision of current B-17 characteristics IF you can prove it. What is wrong with that?
Proof is subjective, there are people on this forum that would rather go to hell than admit I was correct on an issue.
It is all a question of 'INTERPETATION'
From my point of view the historical record speaks for itself.
B-17 did get shot down. END OF STORY.
B-17 also got shot down by ZERO's
I posted an AAR showing an interception of 9 B-17 by 57 Zero
No B-17 were lost AND they did NOT abort. They went in and got hits on a moving taskforce.
How much more absurd does it need to be?

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 224
- 7/31/2003 3:06:58 AM   
Micah Goodman

[B]I posted an AAR showing an interception of 9 B-17 by 57 Zero
No B-17 were lost AND they did NOT abort. They went in and got hits on a moving taskforce.
How much more absurd does it need to be? [/B][/QUOTE]

Finally, wounded pride aside we get to the issue. That case does seem absurd. Was there an escort for the B-17’s? Was this a PBEM game or were you playing the computer? Were the Japanese formations experienced or green? How about the B-17’s? How often have you had something like this happen? I would assume that you were using the 2.3 patch?

I have also noticed that bombers rarely shoot down attacking fighters as well. (For either side) Because I do not have access to figures of EA claimed by bombers I cannot say definitively how out of whack the game is compared to reality but I know bombers in the South Pacific shot down some EA’s.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 225
- 7/31/2003 3:10:01 AM   
madflava13

Guys, this was going under quickly... We all stopped responding...
I don't know who resurrected it after it had been dead for over a week, but let's not let it get any farther...

MODS - Can someone please lock this baby up tight?

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 226
- 7/31/2003 3:16:34 AM   
Snigbert

Yeah, it would be great if this were locked.

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 227
- 7/31/2003 10:32:17 AM   
Chiteng

[B]Finally, wounded pride aside we get to the issue. That case does seem absurd. Was there an escort for the B-17’s? Was this a PBEM game or were you playing the computer? Were the Japanese formations experienced or green? How about the B-17’s? How often have you had something like this happen? I would assume that you were using the 2.3 patch?

I have also noticed that bombers rarely shoot down attacking fighters as well. (For either side) Because I do not have access to figures of EA claimed by bombers I cannot say definitively how out of whack the game is compared to reality but I know bombers in the South Pacific shot down some EA’s. [/B][/QUOTE]

No there was NO escort they were bombing at EXTREME range from Cooktown. One would think they barely had fuel to make it there and back. The Target was the Rabual hex, but the TF
was NOT docked no refueling it was in transit to Buna I think.

It has happened at least once in every game I have played.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 228
CAP - 7/31/2003 10:41:23 AM   
mogami

[B]No there was NO escort they were bombing at EXTREME range from Cooktown. One would think they barely had fuel to make it there and back. The Target was the Rabual hex, but the TF
was NOT docked no refueling it was in transit to Buna I think.

It has happened at least once in every game I have played. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, The problem believe it or not might not have been Zeros not shooting down B-17's.
It seems CAP over bases does not actually engage aircraft attacking TF's in the same hex.

(Both groups appear in the window like normal combat but they don't actually shoot at one another.)

You need to assign LCAP to cover TF's/ The exception being Carrier airgroups. They consider their TF as their base and protect it.

In WITP (using the same combat engine as UV 2.3) I have Zeros shooting down B-17. I think I already mentioned I had one Zero shoot down 2 in the same day.

Were these Zeros normal CAP or assigned to TF protection (In which case I'm still scratching my head since this does not happen to me)

(The CAP versus LRCAP also explains why unescorted aircraft sometimes attack targets where you think you have CAP. I'm sure this is a bug not a feature)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 229
- 7/31/2003 11:33:10 AM   
denisonh

This thread is out of control.

I have to agree with Micah for the most part. You have expressed it better than I could have for the most part.

But I think it is simply ludicrous that Chiteng is basin his critisism of the "uber B-17" on ONE data point.

To evaluate a combat model based on multiple probabilistic components on one data point is ridiculous.

The inherent problem in combat modeling is the lack of adequate numbers of instances to build reliable and accurate probablisitic model that adequatley represents combat.

ONE data point hardly represents "truth" and irrefutable evidence to support the assertion that the B-17 is the "uber weapon".

It is like building a lottery model. If I won the lottery with a chance of success approaching zero, adn accurate model would not neccessarily have me winning it most of the time.

The fact is that we can run this model and tabulate results than far exceed the number of actual occurences.

How do you reconcile this?

Combat modeling that simply "churns out" "historical results" is not only innacurate and imprecise, it is boring as well.

Given that criteria, the Japanese should lose every time (historical), regardless of what the players do (boring).

I would like to see a more substanitive approach to addressing the probabilistic models that generate the combat results before concluding that it is "broke".

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 230
- 7/31/2003 11:42:42 AM   
Chiteng

[QUOTE]Originally posted by denisonh
Much ad hoc assumptions deleted

[B]". [/B][/QUOTE]

No Denisoh That is YOUR assumption that I am basing
my criticism on what YOU call one data point.
I have never stated that. In fact I just stated I see
a similar incident at least once a game.

Your attempts to manufacture reasons to ignore the issue
may work for 'YOU' but the issue will still be there.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 231
Re: CAP - 7/31/2003 11:45:02 AM   
Chiteng

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]Hi, The problem believe it or not might not have been Zeros not shooting down B-17's.
It seems CAP over bases does not actually engage aircraft attacking TF's in the same hex.

(Both groups appear in the window like normal combat but they don't actually shoot at one another.)

You need to assign LCAP to cover TF's/ The exception being Carrier airgroups. They consider their TF as their base and protect it.

In WITP (using the same combat engine as UV 2.3) I have Zeros shooting down B-17. I think I already mentioned I had one Zero shoot down 2 in the same day.

Were these Zeros normal CAP or assigned to TF protection (In which case I'm still scratching my head since this does not happen to me)

(The CAP versus LRCAP also explains why unescorted aircraft sometimes attack targets where you think you have CAP. I'm sure this is a bug not a feature) [/B][/QUOTE]

The CAP in the AAR were damaged by the B-17.
If you are saying that CAP can be damaged and yet B-17 cant be damaged there is a problem.
In addition the CAP did not come from the airbase.
It came from Kido Butai at 60%
I had been expecting a cheap shot B-17 strike, and sure enough it came.

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 232
- 7/31/2003 11:48:59 AM   
denisonh

[B]No Denisoh That is YOUR assumption that I am basing
my criticism on what YOU call one data point.
I have never stated that. In fact I just stated I see
a similar incident at least once a game.

Your attempts to manufacture reasons to ignore the issue
may work for 'YOU' but the issue will still be there. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, You have only presented ONE data point.

I manufacture nothing, but simply observe that you have provided one data point and a ton of conjencture.

Feel free to eloborate, but spare me the bull$hit.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 233
- 7/31/2003 11:55:45 AM   
Chiteng

[B]Well, You have only presented ONE data point.

I manufacture nothing, but simply observe that you have provided one data point and a ton of conjencture.

Feel free to eloborate, but spare me the bull$hit. [/B][/QUOTE]

And if I present more AAR that substanciate the point?
I can hear it now:

'What level of difficulty are you using?'
'That is immpossible you had to fabricate those results'

The one thing I WONT hear is 'Gee I guess you were right'

Then there will be demands for saved games etc etc
No Denisoh, There is a simpler way. Wait for the release of the product, and watch it get panned for having invincible B-17's
Which is exactly what will happen.

But you will be able to comfort yourself that you didnt listen
to Chiteng =)

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 234
- 7/31/2003 12:11:15 PM   
denisonh

[B]And if I present more AAR that substanciate the point?
I can hear it now:

'What level of difficulty are you using?'
'That is immpossible you had to fabricate those results'

The one thing I WONT hear is 'Gee I guess you were right'

Then there will be demands for saved games etc etc
No Denisoh, There is a simpler way. Wait for the release of the product, and watch it get panned for having invincible B-17's
Which is exactly what will happen.

But you will be able to comfort yourself that you didnt listen
to Chiteng =) [/B][/QUOTE]

Talk about "AD HOC Assumptions........."

As it stands you are a majority of one making the broad based claim of the "uber B-17", and you have not presented anything more than one example.

Your arguements would be more more convincing if you presented a series of examples framed against historical occurences. Of course, that is much more difficult....

But then you might garner support, from myself and others. Make the case.

Until then, it is simply bull$hit.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 235
- 7/31/2003 12:19:43 PM   
Chiteng

[B]Talk about "AD HOC Assumptions........."

As it stands you are a majority of one making the broad based claim of the "uber B-17", and you have not presented anything more than one example.

Your arguements would be more more convincing if you presented a series of examples framed against historical occurences. Of course, that is much more difficult....

But then you might garner support, from myself and others. Make the case.

Until then, it is simply bull$hit. [/B][/QUOTE]

No it isnt =)
I do not stand alone on the issue, however much you wish I did =)

Voltaire

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 236
- 7/31/2003 10:43:13 PM   
Thrashman

Doing some research and found this info. First link is total losses of planes both within continental US and abroad for the army air force. Interesting in 1942 heavy bombers losses were only 412 according to this info. In 1943 it jumps alot.

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/aafsd/aafsd_pdf/t099.pdf

Second link is self explanitory...

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/aafsd/aafsd_pdf/t100.pdf

After looking at this, the question is should both far east and pacific be added to give us a starting point.????

Here are the arrival rates from the US to all theaters.

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/aafsd/aafsd_pdf/t098.pdf

Lets all do the math here. Do we see these types of losses in our specific theater of war? I am not supporting either side of this debate, but would like to get to the bottom of the issue. I am going to look at the data in my games to get my losses on the B-17 for a certain period of time and then average it over the course of a year...particularly 1942... to see if the data coincides with history. My initial guess is that it will be close, but that is a guess. I feel that the more realistic problem here is that these planes are not being used as they were historically either by a human or the AI. I have not read many documents about large formations of B-17's attacking Japanese bases until later in the war, and have not read anything about low level bombing by B-17's. Most everything I see is 10,000 ft. and up.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 237
- 8/1/2003 2:35:41 AM   
Thrashman

I've lost 38 B-17 planes since the scenario began and it's now 10/6/42 in Scenario 16. I have not taken them below 10,000 feet.

That is a little over 12 planes per month. One whole Sqn. And I fly them only with high morale.

I agree with Chiteng in that no the zeros just don't shoot many down but they do damage them along with the damage from flak and that causes many to crash on landing etc. And everything I have read about these things from history, in the Pacific, is that is how many of them went down. Would that fall under operational loss? I guess if it touches down on the runway still flying then it's operational.

My conclusion is that as far as [U]my[/U] exp. with these B-17's, the game is pretty close. But someone flying the things in at 6000 feet on naval attack and scoring hits on numorous ships simply didn't happen historicaly.

The zero didn't shoot down too many B-17's throughout the war. Let alone in the early years.

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 238
- 8/1/2003 2:41:25 AM   
Nikademus

It should be added, that the total # of planes seen in the CAP will not necessarily be the actual # of planes that attack a bomber formation....particularily if the attacked base has no early warning system in place (radar/coastwatchers etc)

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 239
- 8/1/2003 3:59:20 AM   
TIMJOT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thrashman
[B]
My conclusion is that as far as [U]my[/U] exp. with these B-17's, the game is pretty close. But someone flying the things in at 6000 feet on naval attack and scoring hits on numorous ships simply didn't happen historicaly.

The zero didn't shoot down too many B-17's throughout the war. Let alone in the early years. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thrashman my research agrees with your observations and assessments. I would add that although B-17s did not score numerous hits on ships in single attacks they did score single hits on ships on numerous occassions. These attacks were generally made between 7000 and 12,000 ft and rarely consisted more 9 to 12 B-17s at a time. Which would put Chitengs AAR squarely within the historical reality.

Regarding CAP, I have found no historical examples of a B-17 attack ever being turned back by CAP, disrupted yes, with losses yes, but most of these losses were as you stated damaged bombers that crashed on the return trip or on landing.

IMHO, 9 B-17s getting thru 50 zeros covering a 30 mile area, scoring 1 hit on a single Maru, does not constitute an Uber weapon, even if it happens at least once every game, as Chiteng contends.

Regards

(in reply to Chiteng)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI