Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great books on the IJN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Great books on the IJN Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great books on the IJN - 5/28/2003 1:43:07 PM   
Raverdave

I have just got hold of the following two books on the IJN, both are out of print, so you will really have to hunt for them, but it will be well worth you trouble!

"Japanese Naval Vessels of WW2"
( As seen by US Naval Intelligence)
Arms and Armour Press LTD 1987
ISBN 0-85368-847-8

Pretty much this is a re-print of the US Naval Intelligence handbook and reproduces the the 4 publications of the ONI (ONI 41-421, ONI 41-42, ONI 220J and ONI 225J. There are some really good prints and photos of IJN ships from the BB down to the type "A" landing craft.

The second book is one that I have been after for sometime.

"The Imperial Japanese Navy"
By A.J Watts & B.G Gordon
Publishd by MacDonald & Co 1971
SBN 356 03045 8

This book is a real gem with 529 pages detailing the ships used by the IJN from 1863 to 1945 where they were built and what happened to them. Lots of photos line drawings and facts and figures. It is a "Conways" type book but with much much more detail. This would have to be one of the best books on the IJN that I have seen, and the main reason for hunting it down. For the lovers of the IJN it is a must for your bookshelf!

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Post #: 1
- 5/28/2003 4:01:26 PM   
Drongo

Do I get another prezzie when you visit, Uncle Dave? Huh? Huh?

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 2
- 5/28/2003 5:55:57 PM   
Raverdave

I will "allow" you to borrow "The Naval War in the Mediterrean"....as for the others, I'll bring them around so that you can have a captain cook. Are you gona cook lunch this time or do I have to put up with corn chips again?;) :p

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 3
- 5/28/2003 7:18:55 PM   
Drongo

Don't knock the corn chips.

I spent hours preparing them. And if you think sealing them up in a plastic bag is easy.....

If you're going to be a pain about it, I'll see if I can get the girlie to put her culinary skills to use (why should I be the only one who suffers).

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 4
- 5/28/2003 7:30:31 PM   
Raverdave

Any of her "other" skills you wish to share?;)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 5
- 5/28/2003 9:01:51 PM   
Drongo

You want her to do your ironing???

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 6
- 5/28/2003 9:46:10 PM   
Luskan

Best thing I ever did: kept my subscription to Sydney Uni Library after I graduated.

Fisher stack, level 9 - when you're in there it feels like you're in the movie Ghostbusters (at the start in the library), but they've got SHELVES full of this stuff - including at least on of Raver's books if not both.

I'm a proliferate reader, and I'm barely halfway along the shelf.
Problem with such a selection is however, that you usually get equal amounts of good books and crap.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 7
- 5/29/2003 3:43:43 AM   
madflava13

I hate hearing that... Most libraries here in the US have very spotty collections, in my experience... Seems we forget our history faster than you folks down under...

The library at American University in DC has a great selection of books on US Sub ops though - odd, since the history dept. is about as weak as they come.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 8
- 5/29/2003 4:45:20 AM   
Zeta16

In the U.S. they think we need books about feelings and PC things. World War Two is not very PC anymore because I. it's a war and 2. the U.S. won. I am 25 and teach high school history and our book has one chapter on the led up to WWII and one chapter one it. But we have have 6 Chapters on the 60's and earily 70's. To me that is just wrong.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 9
- 5/29/2003 5:01:04 AM   
Yamamoto

"A Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy" by Paul S. Dull is a good one too.

Yamamoto

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 10
- 5/29/2003 8:58:01 PM   
TIMJOT

Kaigun; Evans/Pettie, (Naval Institute Press)

A very comprehensive book on the birth and development of the IJN. It has in depth analysis of ship design, weapons, tactics and strategy of IJN, but does not delve into the the actual battles fought in any detail.

A companion book, ( Sunburst? IIRC )about the developement of the IJN air arm was written by the same authors, but I havent had the chance to read it.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 11
- 5/29/2003 10:50:29 PM   
Luskan

Just picked up "Eagle against the sun" by Spector. Will let you all know if it measures up to "The Pacific Campaign" by Jan van der Vat.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 12
- 5/30/2003 2:59:50 PM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TIMJOT
[B]Kaigun; Evans/Pettie, (Naval Institute Press)

A very comprehensive book on the birth and development of the IJN. It has in depth analysis of ship design, weapons, tactics and strategy of IJN, but does not delve into the the actual battles fought in any detail.

A companion book, ( Sunburst? IIRC )about the developement of the IJN air arm was written by the same authors, but I havent had the chance to read it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Would you have the ISBN of those two books on hand?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 13
- 5/30/2003 7:02:31 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]Would you have the ISBN of those two books on hand? [/B][/QUOTE]

Kaigun : 0870211927
Sunburst : 1557504326

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 14
- 5/30/2003 7:29:23 PM   
Raverdave

Thanks spooky!

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 15
- 5/30/2003 9:40:20 PM   
dwesolick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zeta16
[B]In the U.S. they think we need books about feelings and PC things. World War Two is not very PC anymore because I. it's a war and 2. the U.S. won. I am 25 and teach high school history and our book has one chapter on the led up to WWII and one chapter one it. But we have have 6 Chapters on the 60's and earily 70's. To me that is just wrong. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have to agree, unfortunately. I teach history at a community college and I refuse to use textbooks (at least in my non-internet classes). Instead I assign secondary works. Among others I have assigned are "Prisoners of the Japanese" by Gavan Daws----VERY un-PC, but the students loved it. Another book I have used, and will be using again this fall, is "In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis" by Doug Stanton again, great student response. Of course, at a high school, you probably don't have this luxury.
A book that I have read recently and would recommend generally is "A Glorious Way to Die: The Kamikaze Mission of the Battleship Yamato, April 1945" by Russell Spurr.
In a slightly different vein, a book I just finished yesterday is one of the best I have ever read: "Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War" by Robert Massie...It was history on an EPIC scale. He is currently working on a book on WWI naval history which I will be snapping up from Amazon as soon as it hits.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 16
- 5/30/2003 10:41:15 PM   
TIMJOT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spooky
[B]Kaigun : 0870211927
Sunburst : 1557504326 [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pick up spooky. Raver its a fairly expensive book, but well worth it if you are interested in the subject IMO. Lots of charts and diagrams, good stuff on the Sino/Japan and Russo/Japan war as well.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 17
Re: Great books on the IJN - 5/30/2003 10:51:02 PM   
dwesolick

[B]I have just got hold of the following two books on the IJN, both are out of print, so you will really have to hunt for them, but it will be well worth you trouble!

"Japanese Naval Vessels of WW2"
( As seen by US Naval Intelligence)
Arms and Armour Press LTD 1987
ISBN 0-85368-847-8

Pretty much this is a re-print of the US Naval Intelligence handbook and reproduces the the 4 publications of the ONI (ONI 41-421, ONI 41-42, ONI 220J and ONI 225J. There are some really good prints and photos of IJN ships from the BB down to the type "A" landing craft.

The second book is one that I have been after for sometime.

"The Imperial Japanese Navy"
By A.J Watts & B.G Gordon
Publishd by MacDonald & Co 1971
SBN 356 03045 8

This book is a real gem with 529 pages detailing the ships used by the IJN from 1863 to 1945 where they were built and what happened to them. Lots of photos line drawings and facts and figures. It is a "Conways" type book but with much much more detail. This would have to be one of the best books on the IJN that I have seen, and the main reason for hunting it down. For the lovers of the IJN it is a must for your bookshelf! [/B][/QUOTE]

You can find numerous copies of "The Imperial Japanese Navy" at abebooks.com........I got mine for $35. Thanks Raverdave!

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 18
Japanese Warships of WW II - 5/31/2003 1:15:02 AM   
Don Bowen

I would recommend:

Japanese Warships of World War II by A.J. Watts
Published 1966 by Ian Allen (in the UK)

Less detail than "The Imperial Japanese Navy" but covers ALL the Japanese warships of world war II - all the way down to the Daihatsus - as well as merchantmen in naval service. Long out of print and hard to find but an excellent reference work.

Same format and level of detail as Silverstone's "U.S. Warships of World War II".

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 19
- 5/31/2003 2:02:10 PM   
Raverdave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TIMJOT
[B]Thanks for the pick up spooky. Raver its a fairly expensive book, but well worth it if you are interested in the subject IMO. Lots of charts and diagrams, good stuff on the Sino/Japan and Russo/Japan war as well. [/B][/QUOTE]

Looked at Amazon and IIRC Kaigun is about $50 ish. Not a bad price, but once I add the currency differance and postage, I guess that I am looking at $100 Aussie. Not that this really bothers me if the book is a good one, and from what I have read of the readers reviews, this looks to be a great book!

Sunburst however did not not get a good review.....has anyone here read it? Amazon is bundleing the two books for $76.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 20
SAKAI - 5/31/2003 4:39:44 PM   
Christof

I would like to recommend Saburo Sakais book "Samurai" to everybody interested in the IJN aviation.

It's a great read and offers some insight into japanese society and naval aviation during WW2. Reading the book will also introduce you to many of those pilots appearing in the F1/Tainan Daitai squadron in UV.

Spectors book "Eagle against the sun" is OK, but does not rank that high on my "recommended" list.

Chris

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 21
- 5/31/2003 5:33:26 PM   
Spooky

There is already in the UV fansite a list of books covering many aspects of the Pacific War : http://uncommon-valor.chez.tiscali.fr/books.htm

BTW, If you want to comment one of these books, please feel free to send my your comments by e-mail

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 22
- 5/31/2003 6:30:19 PM   
Don Bowen

[B]Sunburst however did not not get a good review.....has anyone here read it? Amazon is bundleing the two books for $76. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have a copy of Sunburst and was disappointed. I would not recommend it.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 23
- 6/1/2003 8:04:20 AM   
Raverdave

Thanks Don, yeah I got that impresion from the review.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 24
- 6/1/2003 11:15:17 AM   
Luskan

Most pacific campaign books come with a centre section of black and white photos - now several of thse photos we've all seen before, over and over.

However one of the things I liked most about Eagle against the Sun was that the photos weren't the same old photos (although not as many of them as usual).

I don't suppose anyone remembers the exact name of the book that was basically just WW2 naval photos (always with a quick paragraph explaining the circumstances prior to the photo and another paragraph about what was in the photo and why it was interesting etc - we're not talking a complete picture book here).

Was a fantastically thick book, filled with naval/marine action shots that I haven't seen anywhere else or since - and most importantly, lots of them.

There was the usual famous photos (Hood and Bismarck, Graf Spee at montivedo - Exeter's peppered hull after montevido, Courageous going down, Depth charging whatever U boat it was, that later surfaced and had guys jumping out before it sank, Bunker hill's kamikaze, west virginia on fire at Pearl, St-Lo taking a shell hit at Leyte, Enterprise during the battle of Santa Cruz (favourite - the air is literally black with flak bursts).

But there were also not so famour action photos - the IJN minisub during practise trials, the photo where a Kamikaze's plane is caught in the photo about a meter before it hits the hull, interior shots of the damage that Exeter and Pope suffered after the first battle of the Java sea, a bunch of IJN pilots posing for a photo on the wreckage of an allied transport somewhere in the Pacific that had sunk and turned turtle.

So many great photos that I remember seeing, and would much prefer to own. Lots of diagrams too. Was called something like WW2 naval photo diary of 1940-1944 or something ???

Anyone?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 25
- 6/1/2003 12:49:39 PM   
juliet7bravo

"Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War" by Robert Massie"

EXCELLENT book! Thanks for the heads up on his new book coming out...I'll be putting in a pre-order.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 26
- 6/1/2003 10:22:53 PM   
dwesolick

The new Massie book is called "Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany and the winning of the Great War at Sea." It comes out (according to Amazon) in November.

The list of Pacific War books was great...with one glaring omission: "American Caesar" by William Manchester. By far the best biography of MacArthur.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 27
- 6/1/2003 10:34:03 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dwesolick
[B]The new Massie book is called "Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany and the winning of the Great War at Sea." It comes out (according to Amazon) in November.

The list of Pacific War books was great...with one glaring omission: "American Caesar" by William Manchester. By far the best biography of MacArthur. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip :) , I will add this book to the list.

Edit : "American Caesar" is now in the list (with a direct link to Amazon)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 28
- 6/3/2003 1:01:33 AM   
panda124c

'Destroyer Captian' Don't remeber the author's name (I am at work). The author commanded the Lt Crusier that accompaned the Yamato on it's final mission. Covers the entire war startng with Malasia through the Solomons campain to the end of the war.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 29
- 6/3/2003 6:57:30 AM   
NAVMAN

pbear:I read this book some years ago. The edition I read was titled, "Japanese Destroyer Captain." I think the author's last name was Hara. Believe it was originally published by USNI, sometime in the '50s

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Great books on the IJN Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI