Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game stopper on Netplay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> Game stopper on Netplay Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game stopper on Netplay - 2/9/2018 8:57:34 PM   
Sabre21

Bill and I are playing a Global War scenario with him as the Allies and me as the Axis using the latest patch on Netplay.

We are on turn 4 on an Axis impulse. We had just gone through turning France Vichy sequence and began the new turn. He won initiative and completed his impulse and then I began the Axis impulse.

I chose a naval move for the German/Vichy, and a combined for the Italian and Japs. I completed all the moves, there was no land combat anywhere this impulse.

Once the land moves and combat declaration phases are completed, the game locks up during the air transport cap phase. On the Allied screen shows the Axis air transport phase but on the Axis screen indicates the air transport-cap phase. Neither screen has a green button to press.

It almost seems that the computer is confusing Vichy with free French at times, because he got a carpet bomb cap option appear for the free French when there are no free French planes on the map. Although I'm not certain this is the problem.

We reran this 3 or 4 times to be sure, including redoing the entire turn back to declaring France as Vichy. Every try the game locked up at the same point.

We can't figure a way around this one so we are at an impasse and cannot continue.

I hope you can figure this one out soon.

Both savegames are loaded below at the Axis land movement phase. Just load them up and click past all the phases until air reorganization. It should lock up there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 2/9/2018 8:59:19 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/9/2018 8:58:26 PM   
Sabre21

Here is the Axis land movement save game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 2
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/13/2018 7:09:28 PM   
Sabre21

Has any of the beta testers looked at this yet? We are at a game stand still and can't move forward.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 3
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/13/2018 9:13:36 PM   
gw15

I am play testing two netplay games and I have not encountered this.
What version are you using?

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 4
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/14/2018 2:08:50 AM   
Sabre21

We are both using 2.7.5. It seems to have occurred after France went Vichy but can't be sure that was the cause.

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 5
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/16/2018 5:06:26 PM   
gw15

Sabre,
Paul and I tried to replicate the problem but we encountered a strange issue. When we loaded the game it allowed both of us to play the Axis. We could both move Axis units. Clicking on the green button would cycle through Italy to Japan and then freeze. The other player could also click through the green button from Italy to Japan and then freeze.
Neither of us have ever seen this problem before.
Do the both of you have this problem where you both can move the Axis units?
We do not know the game history but did something happen with the files in the past where maybe you had to exchange files to bypass a previous freeze? Did you have a madexcept and then chose "continue"?

Gerry

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 6
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/16/2018 5:58:23 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: gw15

Sabre,
Paul and I tried to replicate the problem but we encountered a strange issue. When we loaded the game it allowed both of us to play the Axis. We could both move Axis units. Clicking on the green button would cycle through Italy to Japan and then freeze. The other player could also click through the green button from Italy to Japan and then freeze.
Neither of us have ever seen this problem before.
Do the both of you have this problem where you both can move the Axis units?
We do not know the game history but did something happen with the files in the past where maybe you had to exchange files to bypass a previous freeze? Did you have a madexcept and then chose "continue"?

Gerry

A few games back we ran into a similar problem where I was setting up the nationalist Chinese and for some reason thought I was the Japs and kept putting up the Japanese unit tray. We deleted out old savegame files and started anew, but haven't run into that problem since. it only happened to us once before.

We haven't switched or altered any files and typically when we start a new game we go in and delete any old NP savegame files.

We can load up the game at any point following Vichy declaration that we have a savegame for and the game runs normal until we get to that same air transport-cap phase where it locks up.

We haven't gone prior to that and tried it nor have we chose the non-Vichy option and tried going that route yet either.

If we get a mad except, we reload to an earlier savegame.

Edit: I opened both game files using notepad I attached in this thread. I noticed on the third line "Land Movement, none, Italy, Japan" on the axis savegame. But on the allied one I read "Land movement, none". Could that be a problem, with no allied country listed?

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 2/16/2018 6:22:34 PM >

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 7
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/16/2018 7:16:35 PM   
gw15

We also looked at the files and we decided that the third line was correct in that all it means is it is the Axis land movement with Italy and Japan still to move.
As to why the Allied third line just says none but still allows the Allied player to move Axis units baffles Paul and I. Again, never seen that before.
I'm sorry I cannot help you further on this.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 8
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/16/2018 11:05:36 PM   
Sabre21

If you like, I can attach earlier saves..say at the point of going Vichy and see if the problem exists then.

Edit: here they are anyways..the Vichy declaration phase. I know you guys are familiar with all this so just click on turning France Vichy and click threu that to the first impulse of the new turn. Now during my game with Bill, he went first as the allies and we had no problem at all. The Axis impulse went ok too up until we hit that air transport cap phase. From what I recall, the allies didn't have any fighters in range of the German air transport unit, but the cap window still came up on the axis screen but not on the allied screen.

Here is the axis Vichy declaration half of the turn:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 2/16/2018 11:29:52 PM >

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 9
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/16/2018 11:30:47 PM   
Sabre21

Here is the allied half of the Vichy declaration phase:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 10
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/19/2018 9:41:35 PM   
Sabre21

Update: Bill and I tried this again with a variety of changes in which action the Axis chooses or whether all air unit missions are used, but the game is still locking up on the Axis Air Reorg-Cap phase.

If the Allies have initiative, their move goes through without a hitch, but during impulse 2 (Axis), regardless of what action is taken other than pass (we haven't tried that), it locks up during the Axis Reorg-Cap. The Allies do have the Air Reorg-Cap window pop up with a green button (earlier I thought it never appeared), when the button is pressed nothing happens on the Axis screen, the Reorg-Cap window is still up with an inactive green button while the Allied screen moves on to the next phase.

We are doing everything we can to pinpoint where the problem is but for now this is where we are stuck. We have redone this turn from Vichy declaration forward 5 times now with the same exact result.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 2/19/2018 9:42:53 PM >

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 11
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/20/2018 4:28:32 PM   
gw15

Sabre,
Paul and I were able to recreate the problem you described.
My initial comment about both players able to play Axis was due to us trying to replace your player names with ours and we messed it up. We learned there are multiple places to replace player names.

Anyway, it is a bug in your game and so Steve should look at it.

Steve - you can use the two games that Sabre initially posted and follow his instructions.

Gerry

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 12
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/20/2018 4:51:38 PM   
paulderynck

One more thing - at first we were not sure why the CAP choice came up. But I reviewed the game and there is a disorganized 8-4 in range of both the German ATR and the CW CVP. As it was a naval, the ATR could not do the re-org by itself but there's also an HQ in range so that must be why - or perhaps the program only checks where the ATR can fly and doesn't worry about how many re-org points are needed. AAMOF I could also CAP the sub in Brest - but only with the 3-4 CVP and yet there were unused CW CVPs in the North Sea that could CAP Brest but were not offered. That must mean it checks for where the ATR can fly to its own disorganized units, then only offers CAP to allied FTRs and CVPs that can reach those hexes, BUT once a FTR/CVP is selected by the allies, it allows it to CAP any disorganized enemy unit.

Or to put it another way, it allows the player flying CAP to make dumb decisions!

In any event one thing to try would be to edit the file or use beta tools to mark the 3-4 CVP as disorganized and then see if you can get past this problem. That might be difficult for a Netplay game - I've never tried it. But I will give it a shot if you like.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 2/20/2018 4:53:04 PM >

Paul

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 13
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/20/2018 11:22:42 PM   
Sabre21

Great work guys. That first issue you guys posted about both sides moving axis units had both Bill and I pulling out our hair trying to figure how that was possible.

Anyhoos, I don't have any beta tools that I know of, nor does Bill, but what we might try is to go back to his impulse since he moved first in this turn and have him move his cvp so that it is disorganized on my impulse or have me move my German transport so it is disorganized. If not, hopefully Steve can get this one fixed so we can continue without starting over.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 2/21/2018 12:16:40 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 14
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 2/23/2018 6:37:01 PM   
Sabre21

Today Bill and I tried to bypass this problem so we loaded up the Axis turn and during the air transport phase I moved the German Ju-52 and loaded up the airborne unit then moved it again to disorganize it as it returned to base.

This allowed the air reorganization-cap phase to skip on by but then the game locked on the Axis HQ reorganization phase with no green button available to the axis player.

We reloaded the game at that point to see what might happen and as the screen loaded up to the Axis HQ reorganization, the green button momentarily turned green then went out with no way to continue with the game stuck in that phase.

Hopefully this helps some.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 15
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 3/23/2018 9:03:12 PM   
Sabre21

Any word on what the status might be for this bug. Our game has been on hold since this first occurred.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 16
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 7/12/2018 7:07:01 PM   
Sabre21

ok..both Bill and I loaded up the 2.9.8.4 patch and tried this again from Vichy creation forward (we actually tried from several different places) and we are still running into the same exact problem as described above.

It has been since Feb 9 since we had the fist game stopper bug and April 9th for this one. How long is this going to take to get this game working, I am well beyond frustrated with this process guys. Five months and still stuck at the same problem.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 17
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 7/18/2018 4:38:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The problem arose because there was a bug in NetPlay undoing a land move of a unit that started out of supply.

This would occur when the player got his sequence of moves wrong. For instance, moving an HQ away from a unit so a unit was OOS. And then moving the OOS unit (U), which would disorganize U.

Upon seeing this, the player would: (1) undo U's move, (2) undo the HQ's move, (3) move U, and then (4) move the HQ.

The bug was that on the other player's computer, U would remain disorganized from the original sequence of moves.

I have long since fixed this (January?) so after the undo, U would return to an organized state on both computers.

===

Attached is a set of repaired save games. I only changed the Allied save game (making a motorized German 8-4 next to Vichy France organized). But I created new saved games for both sides, so they have the same MWIF version number: 02.08.09.04. You will need to run that version to restore these saved games.

Allied first:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 7/18/2018 4:39:35 AM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 18
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 7/18/2018 4:43:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Axis repaired saved game.

===

The reason the program would halt at the Air Reorganization phase was that on the Allied computer the Axis player had a disorganized motorized unit. But on the Axis computer that unit was organized. So the Allied computer would halt, waiting for the Axis player to decide, while on the Axis computer the air reorganization phase would be bypassed because there were no disorganized units.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 7/18/2018 4:44:07 AM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 19
RE: Game stopper on Netplay - 7/18/2018 1:38:22 PM   
Sabre21

Thanks Steve. I will try and get to this in the next few days. Summer time projects tend to interfere with my gaming.

I can't imagine what it takes to figure out some of these glitches let alone work on this game for as many years as you have.

On a side note, I just ordered the 8th edition of the boardgame with 4 of the expansions. Myself and 2 other friends plan on setting it up and actually playing it. One of them, (Bill) already has mwif and I suspect that the other guy will most likely jump on the bandwagon.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> Game stopper on Netplay Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI