Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Attacking Vessels in Port

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Attacking Vessels in Port Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/11/2018 5:58:18 PM   
ikrananka

I can't find anything specific in the manual about this, but how does naval combat work when attacking enemy vessels in port? Do you have to attack to weaken the port first before attacks will do damage to the vessel? Or is there some other mechanism?

Post #: 1
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/11/2018 6:19:06 PM   
Taxman66

I'm not 100% on the full details but...
It mostly depends on what you are attacking the port with.
Strat Bombers and Surface ships attack the port (reducing its value and have a chance of getting docked ships).
TAC, Medium, CV planes along with subs attack the ships in the port. The port's AA (particularly if upgraded, though that is moderately expensive) will help defend the ships.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 2
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/13/2018 5:56:45 PM   
ikrananka

Okay- thanks.

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 3
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/15/2018 11:45:56 PM   
Harrybanana

This was a big question for me as well (I say "was" as I have not started any recent games). I often used the French and Royal navies to aggressively attack the Italian naval units in port from the first turn Italy entered the War. But the results were extremely mixed. In some games I was very successful in destroying most of the Italian Navy. While in other games I could barely even scratch them. Even with my carriers and subs seem to do much better in some games than others. The same is true when I played the Axis and my opponent tried this on me. In one game my Italian navy was shredded; but in the other game (with KZ) he sunk a couple Hvy cruisers with his CVs, but otherwise he couldn't touch me.

I have no explanation for why the results varied so significantly from game to game. Has anyone else experienced this?

(in reply to ikrananka)
Post #: 4
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/16/2018 2:40:23 AM   
Leadwieght

I'm wondering if the supply level of the PORT plays any port in the defensive value of ships sheltering there. It seems to me that ships in a port that has had its supply level reduced below 5 tend to take more damage, but I am not sure this is really true.

For CV attacks on ships in port, the supply level of the CV seems very important. Whenever I try to savage the Italians with the RN upon Italy's entrance into the war, my first CV attacks typically do 3 or more points of damage against ships in port, while the strength of later attacks with lower supply seem much less effective

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 5
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/16/2018 4:11:54 AM   
James Taylor

A knowledgeable Axis player will make this Italian naval gambit a dubious undertaking at the least. We don't even attempt this maneuver anymore in my HtoH circle as the RN carriers are to valuable to waste.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to Leadwieght)
Post #: 6
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/16/2018 12:29:55 PM   
Leadwieght

Yes, it's true. A savvy Axis player will be able to minimize the impact of this gambit, although the threat of it can in itself be useful for the Allied player

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 7
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/16/2018 12:44:59 PM   
KorutZelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

This was a big question for me as well (I say "was" as I have not started any recent games). I often used the French and Royal navies to aggressively attack the Italian naval units in port from the first turn Italy entered the War. But the results were extremely mixed. In some games I was very successful in destroying most of the Italian Navy. While in other games I could barely even scratch them. Even with my carriers and subs seem to do much better in some games than others. The same is true when I played the Axis and my opponent tried this on me. In one game my Italian navy was shredded; but in the other game (with KZ) he sunk a couple Hvy cruisers with his CVs, but otherwise he couldn't touch me.

I have no explanation for why the results varied so significantly from game to game. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yepp, and they weren't full strength ones either. The predicted results from other targets were bad.

Maybe the other ports were invisible stormy hexes

(in reply to Harrybanana)
Post #: 8
RE: Attacking Vessels in Port - 2/16/2018 3:28:34 PM   
James Taylor

And once again Leadweight you hit on the crux of good SC play, "the threat of"!

SeaMonkey

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Attacking Vessels in Port Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI