Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HPS Simulations - Website

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HPS Simulations - Website Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HPS Simulations - Website - 2/16/2018 12:13:16 PM   
demyansk

Does anyone know if the HPS site is down permanently? If it is, what about patches for the old games? Anyone help for links of alternative sites?
Thanks
Demy
Post #: 1
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/16/2018 12:25:31 PM   
Red2112

Down for technical issues...
http://hpssims.com/

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 2
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/18/2018 9:10:03 PM   
dstenhouse

I've just discovered the current website for John Tiller's games - in fact, I haven't even explored it yet! If you're looking for his stuff, including updates for old games, try there!

Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to post a link here, so you'll have to search for it yourself! Hint: it's very similar to the phrase, "John Tiller Software", but without spaces, and with 3 w's, and with a com at the end!

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/18/2018 9:17:31 PM   
Yogi the Great

HPS has been down for quite a few days now, hopefully only a technical problem not a business one.

(in reply to dstenhouse)
Post #: 4
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/18/2018 10:11:26 PM   
demyansk

I looked again, still down. I wanted to get a few patches.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/19/2018 12:13:32 AM   
Agathosdaimon

i hope it comes back as i wuld like to see too if they have some old patches for Point of Attack 1 and also i want to buy guadalcanal and midway at some point

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 6
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/19/2018 3:11:32 AM   
E

It's been down for about 2 or 3 weeks now. You can contact them via the email provided on their "Technical Difficulties" intro page.

HPS UPDATE 04:20Z 19 Feb...

Just got an Email from Scott... server crashed 3 weeks ago. Got it almost running twice but hardware started giving up. Then his personal computer decided it needed to be replaced the day before it announced as much. Scott is guesstimating a few more days on the server.

< Message edited by E -- 2/19/2018 3:24:09 AM >

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 7
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/19/2018 8:20:33 AM   
Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

i hope it comes back as i wuld like to see too if they have some old patches for Point of Attack 1 and also i want to buy guadalcanal and midway at some point

Guadalcanal and Midway (and the others in the Naval Series) are available at the John Tiller store. Buying from here will ensure you get all the latest patches/Gold versions going forward.

Richard

Post #: 8
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/19/2018 8:53:42 AM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cataphract88

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

Guadalcanal and Midway (and the others in the Naval Series) are available at the John Tiller store. Buying from here will ensure you get all the latest patches/Gold versions going forward.

quote:

John Tiller store

Thanks Richard

though i tend to be one for getting the physical CD still - i much enjoy have the physical collection if i can.

Also, what about if anyone wants to buy Tigers Unleashed or Point of Attack 2 - will only be available once the HPS site is back up?

(in reply to Cataphract88)
Post #: 9
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/19/2018 10:49:43 AM   
Yogi the Great

also if you have proof of purchase or send a picture of your HPS Tiller game to Tiller software you can update your HPS purchases through them they will provide you with a serial number and download. Just start by emailing the customer support. They will upgrade the Tiller games that have been updated after HPS stopped doing so otherwise of course the last update HPS had will still be available from HPS.

Post #: 10
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/19/2018 11:27:13 AM   
Red2112

I think Tigers Unleashed and Point of Attack 2 are only available via HPS. Me thinks it´s a family business between Scott and other family members, or at least they help him out.

Post #: 11
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/20/2018 12:05:36 AM   
echidna_slith

Before you go searching for receipts/order confirmations or taking pics of CD cases, simply email JTS Support and advise of the games that you purchased from HPS. They have access to the HPS database and will search for your record of purchase. You only need to worry with proof of purchase if their database search fails.

I did that and have been provided with serial numbers for all the Panzer Campaign games; even those that have not yet been upgraded to Gold standard. I had no need to provide any proof of purchase.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 12
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/20/2018 10:45:31 AM   
Yogi the Great

Although like me you purchased many of your HPS titles from Naval Warfare or other outlets (about $10 cheaper that way) you will need the pictures. Do start with an email however they are very helpful and will tell you what you need to do.

(in reply to echidna_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/25/2018 2:01:10 PM   
thewood1

Just out of curiosity, did they ever do a final update on POA2 and Tigers Unleashed. Last I heard, it had been in a perpetual beta that seemed to have no end in sight. I know someone at one point had jumped on board with it and was touting all the great things that were being fixed, but I never saw it released.

Post #: 14
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/25/2018 4:53:56 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1
Just out of curiosity, did they ever do a final update on POA2 and Tigers Unleashed. Last I heard, it had been in a perpetual beta that seemed to have no end in sight. I know someone at one point had jumped on board with it and was touting all the great things that were being fixed, but I never saw it released.

I remember that and it convinced me to finally get around to buying Tigers Unleashed (TU). There have been no official releases. However, I can tell you that active and energetic testing and fixing was still in-progress on TU up to the server crashes, a few weeks ago.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 15
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/25/2018 7:37:09 PM   
thewood1

I'm not sure what that means. Did the patch ever get released? It has to be a couple years ago I saw a mention it was being worked on. Then nothing. I remember checking the HPS sites for a while a year ago but saw that I still had the latest versions. Did I miss a release?

OK, let me reword this...should I waste my time? Is this ever going to be fixed or what?

< Message edited by thewood1 -- 2/25/2018 7:38:23 PM >

(in reply to E)
Post #: 16
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/25/2018 8:52:14 PM   
Rosseau

I've been running a TU exe dated 7/17/17, which I believe I downloaded from their site. As I've posted, the game works as advertised - had no crashes and runs much quicker than before. I am using an i7 3.6 16ram. Point of Attack 2 I've occasionally had some problems with for sure.

There's someone on this forum who probably knows more, so maybe they will post an update.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 17
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/25/2018 9:19:47 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: E
There have been no official releases. However, I can tell you that active and energetic testing and fixing was still in-progress on TU up to the server crashes, a few weeks ago.

quote:

I'm not sure what that means. Did the patch ever get released? It has to be a couple years ago I saw a mention it was being worked on. Then nothing. I remember checking the HPS sites for a while a year ago but saw that I still had the latest versions. Did I miss a release?

It means there have been no official releases of a patch.

...but work was still going strong and energetically as of 3 weeks ago (toward a patch), when there were multiple crashes and hardware failures on HPS server and Scott's machine (that interrupted, the process).

quote:

OK, let me reword this...should I waste my time? Is this ever going to be fixed or what?

I would wait for a patch to actually be released for TU. ESPECIALLY if you're running an older windoze. Because without the recent non-public beta work, my TU would still be Tango Uniform.

But now, it's fun here, and deeper than I've delved yet!. If you liked Tigers on the Prowl 2, Panthers in the Shadows, Dragons in the Mist, or even Broken Alliance, you "should" love Tigers Unleashed! With one caveat: once it's patched publicly.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/25/2018 10:30:29 PM   
wodin

Poor Scott is having one hardware/software issue after another So please bare with him!

(in reply to E)
Post #: 19
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/26/2018 3:01:11 AM   
76mm

quote:

Poor Scott is having one hardware/software issue after another So please bare with him!

Kind of wears thin after seven years, you know?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/26/2018 3:29:50 PM   
Blond_Knight

Tigers on the Prowl 2, Panthers in the Shadows were great games, I cant speak for the other two in that line. But having played some POA2 about four years ago, I couldn't figure out how they had created such an un-fun cluster. I know it was supposedly made for military applications, fair enough, but I hope our Nation security isn't resting on the simulation results created by this thing.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 21
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/26/2018 8:11:47 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
quote:

Kind of wears thin after seven years, you know?

While I'm now sold on TU, THIS is why I recommend waiting for a public patch, before buying it. THIS kind of frustration would tarnish anyone's experience with a game, even if it becomes the ultimate game of all time. A person could still have that bad taste of earlier frustration in their mouth.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight
Tigers on the Prowl 2, Panthers in the Shadows were great games, I cant speak for the other two in that line.

Dragons in the Mist is the Pacific Theater of Operations, Broken Alliance... think "Patton got his way in 1946 plus the Korean War."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight
But having played some POA2 about four years ago, I couldn't figure out how they had created such an un-fun cluster.

I can't speak to POA2, as I don't have it yet(!). But I can say I'm enjoying TU now that mine is no longer Tango Uniform. Of course "Your Mileage May Vary" as you take readings off of your individual funometer.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 22
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/26/2018 8:46:26 PM   
wodin

Hmm..well think on this, the reason Tiller split was because Scott was against any DRM measures that John wanted and did.

Things went on before I got involved regarding games and releases etc cos if I was there then I'd done everything I could to have done things differently. I wasn't but what I did was decide to do what I could to help what is a one man band just like Peter is with TotH.

Anyway I was just stating why there might be website issues. Ill health and hardware failures and software nightmares.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 23
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/26/2018 10:00:50 PM   
ajksr

Not good for HPS

As I have said since 2011 - "Battle On..."

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 24
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/27/2018 2:50:59 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Hmm..well think on this, the reason Tiller split was because Scott was against any DRM measures that John wanted and did.

Interesting...while I'm generally not a big fan of DRM, I have to say that Tiller's version of it is really low-hassle--you get a serial number and can install the games onto as many computers as you want...honestly I don't find that very onerous or unreasonable, so it seems like a strange reason to split up with a veteran game developer like Tiller.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/27/2018 3:42:39 AM   
E

quote:

Interesting...while I'm generally not a big fan of DRM, I have to say that Tiller's version of it is really low-hassle--you get a serial number and can install the games onto as many computers as you want...honestly I don't find that very onerous or unreasonable, so it seems like a strange reason to split up with a veteran game developer like Tiller.

Whoa! That is a MAJOR change from initial reports. Are you saying he did a 180 degree course change from this?!?....

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe (from 2011)
quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
I am curious about any DRM scheme that might be employed....

Call-home to a server upon installation. Once that server is gone you can kiss goodbye to your $50 game.

... and good luck complaining about installation or other game problems on their forum - they haven't got one.

It simply amazes me every time that there are actually people who buy stuff under these conditions.

I probably wouldn't have "written him off" all those years ago, if I'd known he did not go with his advertised intrusive and obnoxious phone-home-protection. (I keep my games too many decades and have seen too many companies come and go, to bother with that protection scheme.)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 26
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/27/2018 10:27:19 AM   
76mm

quote:

Whoa! That is a MAJOR change from initial reports. Are you saying he did a 180 degree course change from this?!?....

I'm sure that you can install on as many computers as you like, because I've done it. All of the computers I've installed on have been connected to the internet, so I'm not sure if you need internet access to install, but you definitely don't need Internet to play--I just turned off my router to check, and the game started up fine...

Moreover, I have no complaints at all about responsiveness of JTS support, and with their recent release of upgraded Gold editions for all of their East Front games FOR FREE, what is not to like?

(in reply to E)
Post #: 27
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/27/2018 10:46:40 AM   
Red2112

Well it seems the HPS site server is up and running again!

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 2/27/2018 10:47:02 AM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 28
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/27/2018 11:34:52 AM   
E

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure if you need internet access to install

Okay, so you don't know. But that begs the question... why did you make the "low-hassle" claim?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 29
RE: HPS Simulations - Website - 2/27/2018 11:36:16 AM   
Cataphract88

quote:

quote:

I'm sure that you can install on as many computers as you like, because I've done it. All of the computers I've installed on have been connected to the internet, so I'm not sure if you need internet access to install, but you definitely don't need Internet to play--I just turned off my router to check, and the game started up fine...

Moreover, I have no complaints at all about responsiveness of JTS support, and with their recent release of upgraded Gold editions for all of their East Front games FOR FREE, what is not to like?

My experience is much the same as 76's. I have installed and uninstalled and installed again on different PCs, and never had a problem.

When I have contacted JTS about the 'Gold' versions, they have always been more than helpful.

No complaints here!

Richard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HPS Simulations - Website Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI