Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Extra AI supply at hard difficulties

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Extra AI supply at hard difficulties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Extra AI supply at hard difficulties - 3/22/2018 8:04:41 PM   
jwolf

I've seen this referenced several times and I've been curious about some details for a long time. So here goes. The AI, at any difficulty at least hard, is supposed to get additional supply so that cutoff or trapped units won't actually starve. On the other hand, in my game against the hard AI what I have observed many times is that an AI force will, eventually, have combat penalties due to low supply. My interpretation of this is that they get some supply, but not enough to fight well (and I certainly do not object to this). Is this correct? Is it known exactly how much supply these units get, say as a fraction of whatever is ideal?

Further question: where does this additional AI supply come from? Is it created and delivered out of nothing, or does it come from the main stocks in home bases or some other place?
Post #: 1
RE: Extra AI supply at hard difficulties - 3/23/2018 1:40:03 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

I've seen this referenced several times and I've been curious about some details for a long time. So here goes. The AI, at any difficulty at least hard, is supposed to get additional supply so that cutoff or trapped units won't actually starve. On the other hand, in my game against the hard AI what I have observed many times is that an AI force will, eventually, have combat penalties due to low supply. My interpretation of this is that they get some supply, but not enough to fight well (and I certainly do not object to this). Is this correct? Is it known exactly how much supply these units get, say as a fraction of whatever is ideal?

Further question: where does this additional AI supply come from? Is it created and delivered out of nothing, or does it come from the main stocks in home bases or some other place?

Pretty sure the daily supply is considered "locally produced" so it just appears. You can do that with bases by setting a daily supply or fuel amount, but I am not sure if the supply you are talking about is generated per base or per unit. To help units that have been kicked out of their bases and isolated it would have to be programmed for the unit to receive them, I think.

The amount they receive is token and presumably consumed every day once they run out their original stocks. So there would be no amount of supply available to sustain combat, which needs enormous amounts of supply.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Extra AI supply at hard difficulties - 3/23/2018 3:35:54 AM   
Korvar

I've also observed that actively surrounding enemy LCUs will still eventually cause them to be "starved out" on hard difficulty, it just takes a long time. I'm sure normal takes awhile as well; I haven't done any tests to see what the differential might be. You'll see messages like "{XXX enemy unit} surrounded!" in the battle reports, which will let you know those unit(s) have begun the process of withering away.

The baseline added supply DOES keep island garrison units from starving due to logistics mismanagement by the AI.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Extra AI supply at hard difficulties - 3/23/2018 5:33:08 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

I've also observed that actively surrounding enemy LCUs will still eventually cause them to be "starved out" on hard difficulty, it just takes a long time. I'm sure normal takes awhile as well; I haven't done any tests to see what the differential might be. You'll see messages like "{XXX enemy unit} surrounded!" in the battle reports, which will let you know those unit(s) have begun the process of withering away.

The baseline added supply DOES keep island garrison units from starving due to logistics mismanagement by the AI.

The message I see regularly is "[Unit] is isolated and out of supply!" . I only see the "surrounded" message when the enemy unit is in the same hex with my units and cannot find an escape path.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 4
RE: Extra AI supply at hard difficulties - 3/23/2018 7:21:41 AM   
GetAssista

On Hard AI gets lots and lots of global supply, and LCUs seem to be very resistant to hunger that is they do not die (or die very-very slowly) if at zero supplies. Local supply behaves in a traditional way, LCUs can still be surrounded, driven to zero supplies by bombing/fighting and then stomped. I play a lot on Hard and use this against Ironman horders.

On Very Hard AI is supposed to get local supply too, generated out of thin air. I do not know how exactly it is programmed and if it is per base or per unit. The latter is important for out-of-base encirclements.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Extra AI supply at hard difficulties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI