Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: My D21 attempt

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: My D21 attempt Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/2/2018 2:05:10 PM   
700851McCall

The attack on the Stalingrad landing commences. Pay attention now chaps, as here's the plan:

239th infantry div supported by 25th Motorized div will attack the landing from the city. Ten 280mm long range railroad guns with a 70km range will bombard the Soviet artillery positions furthest to the rear. Divisional artillery will engage the closer batteries, and the unit concentration immediately to the rear of the landing in the hope of disrupting the supporting fire from these units. 80 Stukas will bomb the landing, supported by 120 ME109s. All remaining divisional arty will fire in support of the attacking troops in a creeping barrage.

Engineers and bridging units are waiting on hand to follow up a successful attack as the terrain on the other side is marsh and rivers and the Soviet has
already blown the bridges there, presumably in the expectation that we will break through.

If this fails the 239th will retire and 11th Panzer will then attack along with 170th infantry, accompanied by the same bombardments, which should carry the day.

(I never use the combat planner btw. As Han Solo once said, 'Never tell me the odds').

First attack fails.

Second attack is made with 239th and 11th Panzer. This too fails, but now there is not much left in there.

A third attack is made this time accompanied by a ferocious nebelwerfer bombardment. No Soviets retreat, every man jack of them dies where he stands:

A bridging unit moves in and 11th Panzer establishes a defensive position on the landing with 25 Mot in tactical reserve. Divisional arty is brought up to support. In theory this should knock 2 points off of Soviet supply. Note the enemy squadrons on the airfield to the East. I've got a little surprise for them in the shape of a 210 mm railroad gun with a 120 km range if they are still there next turn...

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/2/2018 2:10:30 PM >

(in reply to 700851McCall)
Post #: 31
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/2/2018 2:54:58 PM   
700851McCall

And it works. Minus two from Soviet supply and they already are a point down due to the loss of the Maikop oilfields.

Meanwhile, the advance down the Black Sea coast to Sochi is on again. During the mud I had 7 railroad engineers working on this line and they managed to get it all the way from Krasnodar to the front near Sochi. It's a pretty circuitous route and I thought it would take most of the winter but they caned it. Corps and divisional arty has resupplied so we are going to see if we can push on a little more.

In the mountain pass to the north east pressure is being brought to bear on the Soviet 392nd Reserve Division by German and Hungarian mountain troops. The enemy unit has been out of supply for some time now, so it should crack soon.

Post #: 32
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/2/2018 4:34:19 PM   
700851McCall

November 15th 1942 (turn 147)

This is it, the Soviet Winter Offensive has begun!

According to the briefing it should have started on turn 143 but I'm guessing there is some randomisation or something. Ten turns of increased shock for the Soviet and lowered shock for the Axis, so I don't want to be attacking unless I have to.

Initiative changed going into it so the Soviet got 2 turns on the bounce, which was nice for them.

Not sure if I'll be able to play many more turns this week as back to work tomorrow, will have to keep you all in suspense ;)

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/7/2018 11:21:40 AM >

Post #: 33
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/4/2018 6:46:22 PM   
700851McCall

Managed to crack on with this a bit.

November 5th 1942 (Turn 150)

The Soviets have completed 3 turns of their 10 turn offensive with shock of 125%. So far they have not achieved a breakthrough. In a couple of places they have pushed forward 10KM. They've either been left to occupy the ground or been successfully pushed back where it matters. I don't want to make any unnecessary attacks while there is a 30% difference in the shock levels, so I can play my turns quite quickly. But the Soviets are making between 80 and 130 attacks and bombardments per turn so that is taking a while.

The Soviet now has mechanized infantry divisions and is throwing them into the attack like a madman. On the Don bend the 63rd Infantry division, a solid formation at 98% of ration strength, 80% prof and 150% supply, is completely wiped out as the Soviets cross the river at Serafimovich. It takes 4 attacks by 16th Panzer div to annihilate them and close the line. Not a man of them retreated. The 16th burns half its supply in the process.

North of Moscow there are more strong Soviet attacks. 1st Panzer is forced to retreat after losing half of its grenadiers and finally running out of ammunition. Armoured losses were quite light, but Ivan now has a lot of heavy arty behind his lines and can chew up our infantry with it. It is being targeted by 3 railroad artillery units firing from the south eastern suburbs of Moscow. They are far enough away from Soviet lines that they cannot be targeted with counter-battery. One enemy unit has fifty 305mm guns!

Some reserves have been committed. If I have to commit them at the same rate for the next seven turns then I'm going to run out of fresh units well before the Soviet does. Not panicking yet, but it isn't comfortable. At least the most vulnerable area of the front, the Stalingrad salient, has not been attacked significantly yet.

In the Caucasus the rail engineers have been running east along the front line spreading good cheer (and supply) as they go. It was lucky in this sector that I got here before Ivan and was able to establish my line along the railroad. That means now I have full supply right along the front and his line is over 100 km from a rail in some places.

Here are the engineers at the end of the line (literally in this case). This will really make it much easier to defend this front even with the scratch force. Some Luftwaffe ground divs have just arrived to beef it up a bit, too.

Thinking ahead to '43, which may be premature, I'll need to focus on capturing this south-eastern running rail line if I am going to move down and across into the rest of the Caucasus and capture the remaining oil fields. It's the only way to get supply that far down.

Idly scanning around down in the deep south I noticed this Soviet unit quite clearly across the border in Turkey.

Maybe they went on exercise and got lost, or have deserted? We may never know.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/4/2018 6:50:40 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/4/2018 6:58:38 PM   
700851McCall

More long range artillery fun. Remember I mentioned the Soviet air units on the airfield east of Stalingrad? Well they didn't move. That's possibly because there are very few air bases in the area and there are dozens of Soviet air units needing bases. Still, the result was some more extremely satisfying smashy-smashy:

Post #: 35
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/7/2018 11:44:53 AM   
700851McCall

Seven turns of Soviet offensive have now elapsed and the line is holding.

On the Don bend the SS Florian Geyer cavalry division is wiped out completely in another brutal Soviet assault. 9th Panzer moves up from reserve and throws the Soviets back again. To the east more Soviets attack across the frozen river where only a few engineer and recon battalions are covering the line. 13th Panzer moves up from the Stalingrad sector to stem the flow

At Stalingrad the Soviets attack across the now frozen Volga. The headquarters of 46th infantry, ensconced on the western bank, is taken by surprise and thrown back. 27th Guards Rifle Division advances deep into our positions but is soon surrounded.Soviet tanks race across the river towards the Romanians. They are caught exposed on the ice and hit by heavy artillery and siege guns. All panzer reserves around Stalingrad are now committed.

Axis shock percentage rises back to 100% and an attack is launched to capture Sochi on the Black Sea coast. Brandenburg commandos drop south of the town to block the Soviet retreat. 23rd Panzer and an Italian security division assisted by Stukas attack the mass of Soviets in the port and wipe them out. meanwhile 1st Geb crosses the mountains clearing out the Soviets as it goes. Things are looking promising here, although 23rd panzer will now need to re-supply. If I had a second panzer division here the momentum of the attack could be maintained but there are none spare.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/7/2018 11:47:03 AM >

Post #: 36
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/8/2018 9:24:07 AM   
700851McCall

December 23rd 1942 (Turn 158)

Finally the Soviet shock advantage disappears although they still have a plus 5 supply bonus. No major breakthroughs have been achieved although I was forced to commit pretty much all my reserves. All minor breakthroughs have been contained - so far. The Soviet has a lot of troops piled up so I doubt he is going to give up on attacking, especially whilst the rivers and lakes are frozen.

Around Moscow we immediately move to counter attack. Elements of 23rd army and 1st army are surrounded (circled) and the plan is to go for a larger bag in the subsequent combat rounds(arrows). I also want to destroy some of the Soviet artillery while I have the chance. There are enough fresh divisions in this area for sustained offensive operations.

32 Tiger tanks have arrived and are with the Gross Deutschland Panzer Regiment. only 1 has been lost to date. A further regiment of Tigers arrives soon.

Some annoying breakthroughs down south but they are being contained.

Here's an overview of the front to the south of Stalingrad (S) and the intended lines of advance. This offensive will begin some time in late January. We will push down through the Caucasus and across to the Volga, splitting the Soviet front. Soviet forces in the Caucasus will be annihilated and the oil wells captured during the course of 1943. At least that is how OKH tells it, Ivan may have other plans.

This will also leave a tidy front line along the Volga and Don in the south and free up a lot of divisions. The Italians will pack it in later in the year (not that they are much use anyway) so this will compensate.

Losses as we go into 1943 are not too bad.

45K heavy rifle squads are assigned, which has increased by 10K from the low point, and I have 294 Panzer IVF2, 246 Marder 1 and 163 Tiger tanks on hand.

In the air I am down to 73 units from a height of 91 (mainly due to withdrawals) but there are over 2000 ME109s on hand. Remaining German fighter squadrons are all on ignore losses and have been for a while, but the on-hand number is still increasing. In fact I am not short of any type of aircraft.

Just a couple of things that have caught my eye in historical terms.

The SS 'Kaminski' regiment has a proficiency of 94% whereas in reality this unit performed consistently poorly in combat and spent much of the time looting rather than fighting. Not sure what their starting proficiency in the game was but I'd suggest it should be around 50% and that is probably being generous.

The SS 'Galizien' division did not form until mid '43, but a regiment of it has been in the game since the early turns and a second regiment arrived in November. Not complaining as I need the troops but to the best of my knowledge it shouldn't really be around yet.

Post #: 37
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/8/2018 1:40:10 PM   
700851McCall

Around Moscow our offensive continues. The Soviets had left themsmelves weak after their offensive. Their front lines crumble and 15 divisions are surrounded and destroyed, Behind them, the big artillery units that have been persecuting us for two months are left unprotected and are smashed aside with heavy losses. SS Wiking, currently the best unit in the entire Axis army, bashes through too far and is surrounded. They hold off all Soviet assaults. Now the heavy Tiger tanks of Gross Deutschland div prepare to advance and break through to them.

An interesting strategic possibility opens up. If it is possible to push north from here and take the main rail and road junction at Yaroslavl (circled) all Soviet units to the west will be cut off from rail supply. They would be forced to supply via road over 200 km from the nearest rail tracks. I estimate this will reduce the bulk of them to zero supply, certainly they will be at least overextended. I could then roll up his line from east to west.

On a larger scale: There are no north-south rail lines west of this position, the only east west line the Soviets will have is further to the north. Everyone below the dotted pink line will have severe supply issues. This could be the grand 1943 move required to break the back of the Soviets.

In Finland, which has been mostly quiet, the Soviets attempt an offensive, pushing deep into Finland and flinging aside a weak defence line that has been there since the beginning of the war. Mountain troops from the SS and Wermacht move south to contain it whilst Finnish ski troops (circled) will glide silently through the snowy forests to cut the enemy supply roads.

Post #: 38
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/14/2018 10:57:49 AM   
700851McCall

January 10th, 1943 (The dizzy heights of turn 163)

There is no let up in the series of Soviet offensives all along the Eastern Front. It seems more are planned, for example here 100 km east of Orel where the enemy are piling up:

However we are not sitting back and taking it. Where the enemy is weak, we attack. South of Stalingrad combined Romanian and Luftwaffe ground troops, supported by 22nd Panzer div, roll up the Soviet line:

And further south more Luftwaffe units supported by Hungarian cavalry and mountain troops surround and destroy a motley collection of enemy security and cavalry troops.

This winter has not been too bad and supply is good to most places in the front. At the OKH headquarters, 'The Wolf's Lair', the General Staff meet to discuss the plan for 1943. The Fuhrer demands full offensive operations must resume as soon as possible!

But the situation is difficult. With the major rivers frozen almost all of the Panzer divisions are required to hold the line. And recent operations around Moscow have shown that the enemy are as thick as fleas in most sectors.

There is only one exception and that is in the South, The Caucasus region. Here the Soviets appear weak and their vital oil assets are vulnerable. It is the only area of the front where a major breakthrough may still be achieved, capturing critical resources and potentially unhinging the entire Eastern Front.

A plan is formulated. Over the next month every unit that can be scratched from elsewhere along the entire front will move south to the Novinomyssk sector. Once assembled the strike will be aimed in a south-westerly direction straight down the rail line. The objectives: Grozny and its oil fields, and beyond that, Makhachkaler on the shore of the Caspian Sea, cutting off all of the remaining enemy units to the south. A smaller offensive will pivot north east and roll up the Soviet lines to the north:

Some units arrive already, including the 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion, fresh in theatre and sporting a complement of Tiger tanks. The terrain all the way to Grozny is flat and open - ideal for them. The Tiger's KwK36 88mm gun can destroy the Soviet T34/85 tank from 1500 metres. Whereas the T34 must close to within 500 metres to have any chance of penetrating the Tiger's armour.

Post #: 39
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/14/2018 12:03:28 PM   
700851McCall

Stalingrad. 0842 hrs January 10th 1943. Leutnant Olsen of the 24th Panzer Divisions 'clean up' battalion is in a dug out on the banks of the Volga. He wears a woman's fur coat he bought from a feldwebel of supply for 100 reichmarks. It makes the cold more bearable. The coat is stained with the blood of the previous owner.

His task is to watch out across the frozen river for any sign of enemy attack. Next to him is a radio operator, enabling him to call in artillery the moment the enemy is sighted. At the moment the river is covered in a heavy fog. Visibility is no more than twenty meters

To his rear, Olsen hears a familiar voice barking orders. He curses his luck. Has not bothered to shave yet this morning and Major Shwartz is here on inspection. Fortunately the major seems to be more interested in the state of the battalion's compliment of armoured cars. Olsen turns his attention back to the Volga. As he watches, a breeze gets up and the fog begins to billow away. As though in a dream Olsen finds himself staring out at a huge mass of Soviet troops moving across the ice towards him.

Feverishly he scrabbles for the flare gun and sends up a starshell. He seizes the dozing radio man and shakes him into life. The nearest enemy are less than 300 metres away!

Out on the frozen river the advancing Russians look up as the starshell explodes above them. Almost immediately they begin to come under fire from the 20mm autocannons in the turrets of the German armoured cars. Each gun fires 200 rounds per minute. The fire power rips holes in the Soviet lines but they maintain the advance. Then artillery shells begin dropping. Fire is coming in from every gun within range. The explosions toss men high into the air and break chasms open in the ice. Those unlucky enough to fall in to them do not come out again.

Now heavy railroad artillery and siege mortars open up and add to the inferno. An entire company of ski troops is obliterated in a second when a salvo drops right on top of them. A Sargent of the NKVD goes mad and begins running in circles firing his machine pistol wildly. The men around him topple over like ninepins. A commissar armed with an American M2 carbine drops him with a single round to the head. A crew struggle forward with a 57mm anti-tank gun. The commissar orders them to set up where they are and return fire against the armoured cars.

Olsen does not spot the gun until the clean-up wagon nearest to him is hit and begins to bellow smoke. He plots the coordinates and requests fire for effect. A minute later the Soviet AT gun disappears in barrage of explosions, but not before four badly-needed armoured cars have fallen victim to its fire.

The Soviet remnants retreat in disorder. Of the five thousand men who attacked barely twenty-five hundred return to the east bank of the river. There, they pass through fresh troops moving in for another assault.

In the lull Major Shwartz inspects Olsen's position. Seeing his unshaven condition Shwartz gives him a dressing down that lasts a full ten minutes, during which time he does not repeat himself once. He is only prevented from prolonging his harangue further by the arrival of the adjutant. While they were repelling the frontal attack Ivan has somehow got behind them! They must move out at once!

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/14/2018 12:17:57 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/14/2018 6:19:37 PM   
700851McCall

In the Caucasus Operation Winter Dammerung ('Winter Dawn') is about to commence. The entirety of 4th Panzer Army has railed into the sector over several weeks, along with the Grossdeutschland division, railroad artillery assets to help with the breakthrough, and several other divisions. The ground either side of the railroad is covered with men and materials for a length of 50 kilometres, they are all waiting for the green light.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/14/2018 6:20:11 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/15/2018 12:11:00 PM   
700851McCall

Operation Winter Dawn: Breaking through the Soviet MLR. This didn't pan out as well as expected due to failed force proficiency in the first round. Just what you need at the start of a major offensive:

And the situation after 1 week of fighting. The entire MLR was surrounded and destroyed. All but one of the railroad engineers is deployed here to repair the line running south-east. The oil fields at Grozny are only 100 km away. However we have run into an NKVD division with a heavy artillery unit dug into a mountain and blocking the advance. Our lead elements are too weak to tackle it.

I took the theatre option to upgrade SS Wiking to a panzergrenadier divison. I did not realise this would reduce their effectiveness from 100% to 80%. Oh well, live and learn.

On the Black Sea coast we make some gains but then a Soviet counterattack surrounds and destroys the 3rd Geb Mountain Division. Not good. Not good at all.

The Soviets continue to put pressure on the north flank of the Stalingrad salient. The situation here could deteriorate rapidly. 326 infantry division has railed in from AGC to help out. This leaves AGC with just one division in reserve. I have stripped the reserve from everywhere for the southern offensive and the Soviet now has a scary number of units piled up against my lines.

Note all the units he has sat on the frozen Volga. I really need the warm front to come in and unfreeze the rivers to take the pressure off but we are only in the first week of February so that is not going to be for a while yet.

Up in Finland the Soviet push was cut off from supply, surrounded and completely destroyed. The Finns are very short of replacements, though. Note the blown bridges and the Finnish ski troops cutting the supply road:

Post #: 42
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/15/2018 3:10:36 PM   
700851McCall

Mount Elbrus, the highest point in Europe, is captured:

Post #: 43
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/15/2018 5:06:30 PM   
700851McCall

February 14th 1943 (Turn 173)

The oil wells at Grozny are captured by recon elements of SS Das Reich div. But the city itself is heavily defended. We continue to be held up by 'NKVD Mountain'. In fact we cannot even shift the troops holding the approaches to it despite heavy bombardments. A siege mortar has been brought up.

Elements of SS Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler have arrived in theatre and moved straight to the front. Gross-Deutschland division is re-supplied and can re-join the fighting this turn. Note forward airbase with flak unit defending (circled). I've moved a few additional fighter squadrons down south for this operation. I don't think it is possible to get even local air superiority but it all helps. A unit of Brandenburgers is stationed there as well, ready to fly off and drop where they are needed.

Overview of sector. Lines show advance and intended advances.

The Southern front from space: (Stalingrad and Grozny marked) Arrows show lines of advance.

Post #: 44
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/16/2018 9:01:21 PM   
700851McCall

Mid February 1943

Grozny is captured by the panzer regiment of the G_D div after a massive bombardment reduces the NKVD defenders to a crust. A heavy enemy counter-attack falls on 503rd Heavy Panzer Bn. They hold off the Soviets against all odds, losing only 4 Tigers but expending all of their ammunition.

In the extreme east of the image below elements of Das Reich have cut the last remaining rail link with south. Unless the Soviets have another source of supply the units remaining in the Caucasus will be struggling.

'NKVD Mountain' was surrounded and destroyed. There are a few motley enemy units left in the sector that need mopping up but otherwise there will now be a general pause in the offensive while we resupply. Railhead is nearing Grozny.

The plus 2 to supply for holding Grozny kicks in immediately:

Further south on the other side of the mountain range the multi-national force of mountain troops assisted by 23rd Panzer div has succeeded in pushing forward to the edge of the wider coastal plain. The non-cooperation rule makes operations here a nightmare. Arrow shows direction of advance and our intent to flank around the defence to the east.

Just south of Stalingrad the enemy salient is pressed from three sides and finally collapses. The Soviet 179th tank brigade is the last formation left but they bravely fight us to a standstill. A week of resupply will be needed here now, but destroying the salient allows the line to be significantly shortened, freeing up divisions for the next offensive.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/21/2018 9:04:32 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/16/2018 10:59:39 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

ORIGINAL: 700851McCall

Mid February 1943

Grozny is captured by the panzer regiment of the G_D div after a massive bombardment reduces the NKVD defenders to a crust. A heavy enemy counter-attack falls on 503rd Heavy Panzer Bn. They hold of the Soviets against all odds, losing only 4 Tigers but expending all of their ammunition.

In the extreme east of the image below elements of Das Reich have cut the last remaining rail link with south. Unless the Soviets have another source of supply the units remaining in the Caucasus will be struggling.

'NKVD Mountain' was surrounded and destroyed. There are a few motley enemy units left in the sector that need mopping up but otherwise there will now be a general pause in the offensive while we resupply. Railhead is nearing Grozny.

To the north, the rail line running behind Stalingrad via Astrakhan should keep supply flowing. To the south Baku is a 100% supply point and there's a 50% on the Iranian border representing lend lease send via the middle east.

All the units you've got trapped north of the mountains are going to be hurting badly though because of the gaps in the road at the tops of the passes.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

Post #: 46
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/17/2018 6:26:39 AM   
700851McCall

Thanks for the intel, Dan. I wondered if they might have a supply point down there somewhere. No matter, we will be at Baku within a month!

At least that's what we're telling the Fuhrer...

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 47
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/19/2018 6:10:16 PM   
700851McCall

Here's an example of what the Soviets have along most of the front (except the far south). Look at the size of these stacks and they are full of armour. He's probably got more tanks here than there are in the entire Axis army and this is just one tiny section of a very long front. And don't forget this is just what the Axis can see. It may look like the steppes are empty behind those tank units but in reality they will be thick with arty, HQ and other units.

The Soviets continue to attack aggressively at points all along the line. Sometimes they obliterate an entire division. It costs them very dear, and then they can't exploit the hole; but I then have to wait 6 or so turns before the division is rebuilt and returns, then another couple while it gets up to strength. These are full strength German divisions he is destroying, mind. Full fortified, on 150% supply and backed by at least 2 artillery units/HQs, also on over 100% supply.

Here he has destroyed a division and got an armoured brigade an infantry div and a cavalry unit into the breach. The nearest reserve is a regiment of Romaian marines 200 km to the south and the Hungarian panzer div 150 km to the north.

I like to pile my flack units up on the airfields to protect my planes, if there are any spare I break them down and use them for 'Korsett Versteifung' or 'corset stifening'. The Germans would sometimes stick a company of German troops with 2 companies of minor allies to increase their chances of holding the line. You can't do that at the scale of this game so here I have deployed these flak units with these Hungarian infantry divisions who are faced with a chunk of Soviet armour. A few extra 88mm guns can be a big advantage in the defence.

Just south of Stalingrad there is chance to surround a bag of Soviet units, mostly HQs.

But they cannot be moved despite being attacked from front and rear. In the end we have to settle for pushing back the units immediately to their west and shortening the line. There's no ground shock advantages from now on in, both sides have 100%.

It's worth considering the victory conditions at this point. The stipulation is that the Soviet must capture Berlin by May '45 or the Axis win. Despite the fact that he still has masses of units in play I can't really see the Soviet getting to Berlin from here. His plus 5 supply bonus has expired so with the penalties for the loss of the oilfields and the Volga traffic he can't have any better supply than I do. And he's got to build his own rails all the way back from Stalingrad to Berlin in less than 30 months? Good luck with that!

Hitler's ultimate goal was to push the Soviets back behind the Urals. Then a fortified line would be established along the mountain range, from the Caspian to the Artic. There would always be fighting on this front, forever. The idea was that it would be where new recruits would be sent to get their baptism of fire, and experienced troops would rotate in and out. This way they would never become 'soft'. Absolutely crackers of course but I am going to adopt this as my own victory condition as it is technically the historical German objective.

In Finland we can do nothing more until the bridges wrecked by the enemy advance are repaired so that supply can flow. The Finnish engineers are making a meal of it, which is odd as they had no trouble with the bridges further south. After a month of no progress AGN sends all its engineer assets up there to help.

Post #: 48
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/19/2018 11:25:06 PM   
700851McCall

The Soviet attacks have put pressure on to wrap up the operation in the Caucasus. The week long pause in operations that was planned is reduced to just a couple of days.

Intel reports that the enemy do not have many forces south of the mountains. Baku is still a long way away but this is really just a big mopping up job now down here. Gross Deutschland div will provide the muscle for any stubborn hold-outs. Further north there's a general move forward to the Volga delta from the west whilst an SS panzer div and supporting troops push up the rail line from the south.

The intention now is to get up and behind Stalingrad and unhinge the entire Soviet front. I need to crack the enemy before the end of '43 and this appears to be the only strategic option open. The first warm front has arrived, and the Volga and the lakes in the Stalingrad sector have unfrozen, taking the pressure off a little. Here's an overview of the south showing the lines of advance.

Post #: 49
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/21/2018 9:35:44 AM   
700851McCall

March 10th 1943 (Turn 180).

The front lines from space before anyone has moved. In the south arrows show the line of advance and intended advance. The plan is to cross the Volga at Stalingrad and just south of Stalingrad and unhinge the entire Soviet line, simultaneously rolling it up and driving deep behind it to cut supply. I can use the rail line that runs directly north from Astrakhan for supply. Note the Ural mountains on the far right of the northern map.

SS Totenkopf division has returned to theatre and is currently waiting at Rostov. There is a shortage of rolling stock and it had to be used to ferry units to Soviet breakthroughs further north. Totenkopf is a huge division with a heavy tank regiment and recon elements. It will spearhead the initial drive across the Volga. Spring storms period will soon be here which will halt all operations for a couple of weeks. After that passes the main offensive will be back on!

Operation Winter Dawn reaches its final objective of Makhachkala on the Caspian and is concluded.

Near Moscow the Soviets succeed in retreating the 17th infantry div. But look at what it costs them! Over 1000 infantry squads and over 500 guns and mortars. There were 150 T34s in this attack, too, but only 15 were lost. My infantry need panzerfausts!

Post #: 50
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/21/2018 1:59:52 PM   
700851McCall

Panther tanks arrive at the front with 51st Heavy Panzer battalion.

They are immediately thrown into the attack, with disastrous results. 34 Panthers are destroyed and the objective is not achieved. The veteran 25th Motorised div is brought up and crushes the remaining resistance.

This lakeshore fortress just south of Stalingrad is now becoming a major problem. After a heavy bombardment 75th infantry div had a go at it but with little result. There are fortified infantry and two tank battalions in there. While it still holds, enemy reinforcements are able to stream across the Volga behind it. We are gathering for a major assault from three sides.

A little further south and recon elements of the SS Das Reich div reach the suburbs of Astrakhan! The railhead is just to the south out of frame.

And further south still, pioneers of the SS LAH div are just over 100km from Baku. Nothing can stop us now!

Post #: 51
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/21/2018 8:38:09 PM   
700851McCall

March 31st 1943 (turn 186).

Here is the situation in the south. Baku is captured but we are out of supplies. Railhead is still 200 km to the north. There is only a Soviet supply unit in the area but it cannot be attacked at present. It presents no threat, however.

There are still quite few Soviet units left in between the mountains and the Turkish border. And they still have supply from somewhere.

We have crossed the Volga just north-east of Astrakhan and have established a bridgehead (circled) with 21st Luftwaffe Field Div and the heavy panzers of SS Das Reich. Railhead is 150 km to the south and most troops need re-supply. A pause in the advance, although undesirable, is necessary.

Baku. There is no supply down here. Note the trapped Soviet supply unit. These things are tougher to kill than you'd think.

This salient around Staritsa is causing us some problems. The Soviets have a bridging unit over the Volga ( where the arrow is but not currently visible) and are continuously reinforcing over it. We have enough divisions in this sector to attack in rotation, but they are mostly Romanian and they tend to make heavy weather of it. If I can crush this salient that ends Soviet resistance on the west bank of the Volga from the Caspian to north of Stalingrad.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the Moscow sector is under increasingly heavy assault. Like here, 50km due east of the city, where Ivan has ripped a 30km hole in our lines:

Or even more worryingly here to the north of the Smolensk-Moscow highway which is the main 'roller-conveyor' for the entire front. The pink line shows the original front line at the end of 1942. The Soviets have pushed us back gradually over months as there has simply not been any reserve to counter-attack with. Now they are within 10 km of the critical road and railroad (highlighted). All reinforcements are now scheduled to this sector.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/21/2018 8:42:12 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/21/2018 11:45:41 PM   
700851McCall

April 4th 1943 (Turn 187)

It's mostly good news in the news. Supply bonus of plus 2 for holding Baku kicks in and production is up 5% due to Speer kicking ass. It's really a good thing for the free world that he did not get given the job in 1933 instead of 1943 when it was already too late for him to really turn it around.

But I digress. Here's the news. As well as supply and production the spring mud season begins, several days later than the meteorological data suggested.

Here's the southern front 'from space' with the Astrakhan bridgehead circled and projected lines of advance marked with arrows. At the moment there are not enough free divisions to move further forward. There are a lot more Soviet units to clear in the Caucasus than were expected. The arrival of the mud will delay any offensive further. Nevertheless the projected operation is given the codename 'Thor's Hammer', or, in the German, 'Thor's Hammer'. Detailed planning commences.

And here is what the same sector really looks like from space. Note the 'Caspian Depression' to the immediate north of the Volga Delta. I had to look it up. Main points to note are that the lowest point is 433 feet below global sea level, and that there are lots of insects. In the game it is about 20 x 25 hexes of badlands terrain with no trails or roads, so effectively impassable. (Photo: NASA. Public domain).

Post #: 53
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/22/2018 3:32:47 PM   
700851McCall

May 2nd 1943 (Turn 195)

Mud season ends and we can crack on. Ivan has been busy railing troops into the Stalingrad sector. Here is the Astrakhan Bridgehead with the troops deployed to commence operation 'Thor's Hammer.' The problem is there are not enough troops. Too many units are still engaged in the Caucasus.

Nevertheless we have to start moving in order to keep Ivan off balance. The first task will be to attack north towards Stalingrad and clear the east bank of the Volga there. This will allow the Romanian army to move across the river to the east. The Romanians will have the job of rolling up the Soviet line whilst the mobile troops exploit into the interior.

At Stalingrad you can see the Soviets are as thick as fleas on the East bank. Also note the mass of the Romanian army all ready to go.

Post #: 54
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/22/2018 7:15:40 PM   
700851McCall

May 9th 1943 (Turn 197)

The Soviets drop a brigade of paratroopers in the countryside just to the north-west of Moscow, which is currently un-garrisoned. It's unclear exactly what the enemy plan was, but the bold paras soon run into difficulties and dig in. They are quickly surrounded. 69th div, just arrived in theatre, will do the honours and dispatch them.

It's a good indicator of how feisty the Soviets are getting now.

On the Black Sea coast the 'Mountain Army' and attached units finally make it all the way down the coast and wheel east to continue the mop up of enemy resistance in the Caucasus. There are a few Soviet Guards divisions down here but otherwise the enemy does not seem to have the stomach for it. He has blown all bridges in the sector out of sheer desperation.

See below that dotted red line? That's Turkey.

Overall situation in the Caucasus. There are friendly formations advancing from the east as well which are out of shot, so the Soviet is being pressed on three sides. I don't know exactly how many enemy are down here and I have not devoted too much strength to this operation so I have to proceed carefully and not get a tiger by the tail.

The Stalingrad sector (the city is marked 'S'), and operation 'Thor's Hammer' goes ahead despite having only about half of the troops originally envisioned for it. You can see how both elements are advancing in their respective directions around the Caspian Depression.

The Soviet salient (circled) has been cut off from supply. Our river patrol sailed up there and destroyed their pontoon bridges. The northern thrust is spearheaded by three SS panzer divisions, 14th Panzer div and two heavy tank battalions. They are bashing the enemy aside with ease so far.

If we can roll up the Volga and get behind the Soviets besieging Stalingrad there is the chance to make a significant bag.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/22/2018 7:19:51 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/23/2018 8:45:29 PM   
700851McCall

May 16th 1943 (Turn 199)

Soviet attacks increase all along the front. At Stalingrad, the 22nd Infantry div, a veteran division and fully dug-in and fortified, is completely destroyed. (X marks the spot where they stood). Soviet losses are horrendous and only a single recon battalion advances into the breach. They go on to inflict casualties on a brigade of heavy artillery before fresh Romanian troops overwhelm them.

Note the Soviet squadron on the airstrip to the east, in range of my siege artillery. Also note SS Wiking div at far right of image advancing from the east to close the trap.

The enemy have been repeatedly attacking the airfield at Stalingrad so it was spiked with over 400 anti-aircraft guns in readiness for their next visit.

And along they came. Over 250 Soviet planes are crippled or destroyed. There were no Axis fighters in attendance, this was all from triple A:

Nevertheless the air war is being lost. The enemy just have overwhelming numbers now.

Post #: 56
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/24/2018 7:27:58 PM   
700851McCall

May 19th 1943 (Turn 200)

Turn 200! Approaching the halfway point in the game (there are 405 turns in total).

I've got into a mess in northern Finland, The enemy were too strong to crush and now I have to withdraw along the only road. The Waffen SS will be on rearguard. The Finnish troops here are completely shattered. I am now regretting my decision not to go on the offensive here in '41.

Another of my favourite German AFVs, the 'Elefant' arrives in theatre. 89 of them! The main problem with this vehicle in original form was it had no machine guns. So if you got separated from your infantry, close defence of the vehicle was impossible while buttoned up. Later they did stick a machine gun in it.

On the plus side their armour is very thick and they have an excellent gun. They are bound for the East bank of the Volga where we will see how they fare.

Operation 'Thor's Hammer', and the right hook of the advance approaches the Emba oilfields and a sizeable concentration of Soviet air power.

And just slightly to the northwest the left hook of the offensive reaches a Soviet MLR at Stalingrad and digs in. To the west the Soviets are attacking and have gained some ground. The bulk of our forces have eliminated the remaining Soviets and are in the process of crossing the river on a small army of engineer units.

There is supply on the far side, the railheads are almost at the front lines. There are more panzer and motorized divisions coming across the Volga that will join the advance and carry it forward whilst the units which began the offensive re-supply.

Post #: 57
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/26/2018 6:57:22 PM   
700851McCall

May 30th 1943 (Turn 203)

So, past the halfway point and it turns out there is a big flaw in the planning of Operation 'Thor's Hammer.'

You may recall part of the plan was to use the Romanian army to roll up behind the main Soviet MLR west of the Volga, trapping and crushing it up against my MLR. To do this they need to wheel west just north of Stalingrad. But no-one thought to check to see where the nearest crossing of the Volga was, north of Stalingrad. It turns out that it is at Saratov, over 300 Km to the north!

A bit of a cock up.

So yes we have bridging units and a bundle of engineers so it should be possible to get some people across but supply will no doubt be terrible and it won't be the crushing blow I had hoped for. Otherwise there is nothing for it but to drive on Saratov. It is an industrial centre so will hurt enemy production once taken. The railroad runs right to it. The Volga will protect our left flank as we advance, but a screen will be needed for the right flank. A 300 kilometre long screen!

Here's the overview, Saratov circled at far north of map, our advance column moving due north up the railroad, arrows show intended advance, wavy line is the Volga.

Closer look at the terrain we have to advance across. Fog of war is on so there are likely shedloads more Soviet units than are visible in that massive expanse of Mother Russia. On the plus side the railhead is right behind the advance units and headline supply is at 30 thanks to all the oil wells we now control. On a rail line it is at 33 so units resting on one do not take long to recuperate at all.

The ground is flat, no forests, ideal country for tanks and mobile infantry. Trouble is the Soviet is no longer short of either. This could be my Kursk.

< Message edited by 700851McCall -- 4/26/2018 6:59:28 PM >

Post #: 58
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/28/2018 9:54:07 AM   
700851McCall

June 6th 1943 (Turn 206)

Overall situation in the Caucaus. Progress is slow, there are a lot of Soviets down here and we don't have enough units to drive forwards as he will have our flanks if we try. So we are just edging forward.

Tblisi is under assault from 387 inf div and 4th Geb Mountain div. The defenders have already been softened up with barrages from corps artillery. Tblisi is a main road and rail junction and a production centre so capturing it will reduce the Soviet's overall ability to fight. They are still getting supply down here; I cannot yet drive down to the Iranian border and cut the lend-lease route. I don't even know where the route goes. A rail line presumably.

The Soviets once again ruthlessly violate Turkish neutrality (circled). Not sure what to do about this. Am I allowed to go in after them or do we have a Vietnam-type situation here where Turkey is for the Soviets like Cambodia was for the VC? I will probably leave the Romanian security units down here once the area is secure.

Further north the drive on Saratov continues. Our lead elements are now only 170km from the objective. Once there we will consolidate and then drive west to cut supply to the Soviet lines north of Stalingrad. Once the Soviets are out of supply we will attack all along the Southern front, the intent is to destroy all Soviet units South of Kharkov before the autumn mud. If it works the Soviet Union will be effectively defeated.

Supply on the way to Saratov. The only railroads in the sector are highlighted. Note that if the Soviet wants to attack our right flank he must cross 200 km of wilderness with no roads or rail. This is why I think I can get away with a light screen here. All that's required is to protect the north-south railroad from interdiction, as that is the sole source of supply for the whole advance. The railhead is keeping pace and is still right up at the front

Currently the best unit in the German army is, surprisingly, the 376th Infantry Div. 100% proficient. Here defending against the Soviet hordes just to the northwest of Stalingrad. It spent some time dug into fortifications up in AGC and defending the line against repeated enemy assaults; so seeing a lot of action but taking relatively few casualties. This seems to be the best way to increase proficiency.

Post #: 59
RE: My D21 attempt - 4/28/2018 10:06:51 AM   
700851McCall

Here is the Soviet pocket at Stalingrad. The enemy fortress (targeted) next to the Volga landing prevents any attack on the pocket from the west so it is being slowly crushed from the east. The Soviets are still getting supply in here and I couldn't figure out why but it seems that there is a supply point in the river. Patrol boats have moved onto it to capture it, we'll see if that makes a difference. The defenders have been under heavy and continual bombardment from all the Axis siege and railroad assets for several weeks and so can surely not hold out much longer in any case.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: My D21 attempt Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI