Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Erratic Bombers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Erratic Bombers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Erratic Bombers - 6/6/2001 10:34:00 AM   
Flashfyre

What is the actual firing effect for "level bombers"? Do they need air entry hex selection before mission assignment? Do the "bomb" in the same pattern as artillery, or as other aircraft (along the hex row)? I tried to set up some bombers for a GE vs YU scenario: 2 sections of Two Med Bombers. Preset the missions for Turn 0. Saved the scenario, went to play, and no bombing. The sounds played, the messages said "Two Med Bombers bombing area"; but no shell holes, explosions, nuthin'. Tried a test scenario: The bombers came on, bombed along the hex row, and were done. No ammo left. Tried another scenario: The bombers made one drop (at ROF) and were done. Of 12 HE ammo, they used one. Had 11 left, and were unavailable. Only the first hex was bombed. So.....what gives? Are these "random" decisions, or is there a procedure to get the bombers to follow their mission orders?

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]
Post #: 1
- 6/6/2001 11:23:00 PM   
BA Evans

I have only used bombing missions once. They really pounded the snot out of the infantry that they hit. Many infantry units dispursed. You only get one bombing run from each bomber and you only get it during the pre-bombardment phase. There must be a bug about showing the actual bombardment because I couldn't see the explosions. BA Evans

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 2
- 6/6/2001 11:59:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Which bombers do not seem to work right? THE proceedure fr using Bombers is to give then a target in the deployment pahse and a turn you want it to attack. They will occasionally be aborted by flak or fighters en route, but if the arrive, should drop all their bombs.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 3
- 6/7/2001 3:36:00 AM   
BA Evans

In my case, these were German bombers. During the deployment phase I targeted both bombers but I did not do anything to the arrival time. The bombers arrived during the prebombardment phase and made their bomb runs. As soon as the first bomb fell, the screen moved to where my troops were stationed. The explosions kept coming and enemy infantry units were being damaged. I didn't get to see any of this because the screen was in my deployment zone. The bombers seemed to work correctly, just the graphics were messed up. The same thing happened for the second bomber. The first bomb hit and then I was looking at my troops. When I looked at the bomb damage after the fact, there was one row of bombs, four hexes long, for each bomber. Is this how they are supposed to work? BA Evans

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 4
- 6/7/2001 6:08:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

I think bombs should spread a bit more. 50m wide and 100-250m long, bombed area? No way. Just too accurate (straight line) high-altitude level bombing. Wind conditions and such should affect things a bit. Lets say +1-2 hexes to each side, random factor.

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 5
- 6/7/2001 10:12:00 AM   
Flashfyre

First battle the bombers were AUX units....no screen effects at all. Just the message. No holes, no units affected (played it HotSeat so I could check), and no ammo for bombers on Turn One. Second battle, similar results to BA Evans. Dropped bombs in first hex (3; one for each bomber in section), then cut to my troops. Unable to see the rest of bomb run. On Turn One, checked bombed areas....line of shellholes, smoke, and fires in direction I assigned them. No ammo left. Third battle, saw first hex bombed, then next bomber formation began run. All bombers dropped ONE bomb.....initial load was 12, had 11 on Turn One. In all cases, bombers were scheduled for Turn 0, for pre-bombardment missions. All hexes were in LOS of FO who made assignments. Something weird here....something very, very weird.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 6
- 6/7/2001 10:16:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Yep should be spread out more, but we stuck with the tools we have in the game... DO you have fadst arty on Flashfyre? [ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 7
- 6/7/2001 10:19:00 AM   
Flashfyre

No. I checked again to make sure.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 8
- 6/9/2001 2:07:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Retested the scenario. Here are stats: GE Advance v YU Delay 15 turns 3 sections of GE Two Med Bombers (6 units total) During deployment, scheduled first section of bombers: Turn 5, separate target hexes, same entry/exit hexes (top left to bottom right). Second section for Turn 7, separate targets, same entry/exit; third section, Turn 9, separate targets, same entry/exit. All 6 bombers have individual targets, all have same entry/exit direction. Set game to AI v AI; Turn 5, no bombers at all. Turn 7, one bomber (message "Two Med Bombers bombardment") but no effects. Game cut to unit retreats. Turn 9, one bomber, same results as Turn 7. Out of 6 sheduled, 2 showed but did not drop, 4 never left the airfield. Tried Fast Arty on with a test scenario....bombers worked fine, but system locked when Turn Selection screen came on. Clicked on Give Orders, and game locked. Did not do this with Fast Arty off.

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 9
- 6/9/2001 2:22:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Could you send me the scenario? I tried a similar setup and it woked fine...weird!

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 10
- 6/9/2001 9:04:00 PM   
Flashfyre

Can Do. Will send it this weekend....

(in reply to Flashfyre)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Erratic Bombers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI