Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(... - 4/6/2018 7:30:26 PM   
apbarog

"I don't know where I'm goin'
But I sure know where I've been
Hanging on the promises in songs of yesterday
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
Here I go again, here I go again

Tho' I keep searching for an answer
I never seem to find what I'm looking for
Oh Lord, I pray you give me strength to carry on
'Cause I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams

Here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time

Here I go again..."

< Message edited by apbarog -- 4/6/2018 10:10:23 PM >
Post #: 1
Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(... - 4/6/2018 7:37:12 PM   
apbarog

OPilot will be my Japanese opponent. Here's the game setup:

Latest AE Official Patch ver. 1.01.24 25 December 2014
Latest Beta Patch ver 1126b 09/17/2016 (game version will show
1.8.11.26b Sep 17 2016)
Big Babes_B_AEScen28_V15.zip
Babes and Extended Map Art Hexes 05_12_14.zip
Babes Extended Map Data with SL 05_12_14.zip

These are the game settings requested:
Fog of War - ON
Advanced Weather - ON
Allied Damage Control - ON
PDU - OFF
Historical First Turn - OFF
Dec 7 Surprise - ON
Reliable USN Torps - OFF
Realistic R&D - OFF
No Unit Withdrawals - OFF
Reinforcements - +/- 60 days
Combat reports - ON
Auto Sub Ops - OFF
TF Move Radius - OFF
Plane Move Radius - OFF
Set all facilities to expand - OFF
Auto Upgrade ships and air - OFF
Accept Air and Ground replacements - OFF
Turn cycle - 1

We're not in a hurry to start. OPilot could take a week or so to do the first Japanese turn. It is his first non-historical game, so he will be experimenting with the start.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 4/7/2018 12:51:18 AM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 2
RE: I Used to Skipper a Cake of Soap: Apbarog(A) vs OPi... - 4/6/2018 7:39:12 PM   
Bif1961

Good luck to you both looking forward to reading and seeing how this contest goes.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 3
RE: I Used to Skipper a Cake of Soap: Apbarog(A) vs OPi... - 4/7/2018 12:44:44 AM   
ny59giants

Pass this info on to him.

Do orders just for your Japanese airplanes. Save in Slot 10 and label it "Air."

Save the same file in Slot 20. Then, hit the "E" to end orders phase.

Open the game as Allies PBEM and create PW (I use 'test'). Don't change or do orders for any units. Save in Slot 21. Then, hit the "E" to end Allies orders phase.

Have Japan open slot 21 and run turn using his actual PW. Take notes of what orders need to be changed. Exit game and open slot 10. Make changes and do this until he is sure his air attacks are correct. This is how a Japanese player can test his non-historic orders. So, now that Air is correct, save in slot 10 and in slot 11 (label Navy). Slot 10 is the fallback file until he does the same for his new Navy orders. He can reuse slot 20 & 21 over and over again as they are just place holders for the Allies as test. He then does ground (slot 12) and some economy stuff (slot 13). When I first played japan, I broke down orders and testing into 4 parts.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 4
Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(... - 4/7/2018 12:50:51 AM   
apbarog

Info passed to OPilot. Thank you.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:28:39 AM   
apbarog

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 6
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:31:26 AM   
apbarog

"Aboard this tiny ship."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 7
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:32:10 AM   
apbarog

"The mate was a mighty sailor man,"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 8
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:33:00 AM   
apbarog

"The Skipper brave and sure,
Five passengers set sail that day,
For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 9
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:33:50 AM   
apbarog

"The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Minnow would be lost.
The Minnow would be lost."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 10
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:38:38 AM   
apbarog

"The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 11
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:43:56 AM   
apbarog

"With Gilligan,
The Skipper too."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by apbarog -- 4/8/2018 1:44:20 AM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 12
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:44:56 AM   
apbarog

"The millionaire and his wife,"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 13
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:45:55 AM   
apbarog

"The movie star"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 14
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:46:41 AM   
apbarog

"The professor"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 15
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:47:18 AM   
apbarog

"and Mary Ann,"

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 16
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:49:35 AM   
apbarog

"Here on Gilligan's Isle."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 17
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 1:34:32 PM   
dave sindel

Nicely done

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 18
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/8/2018 4:44:37 PM   
DOCUP

This makes me happy. Now hurry up and get to it.

(in reply to dave sindel)
Post #: 19
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/9/2018 6:41:37 PM   
apbarog

OPilot is making progress on his first turn, and has learned how to use the Japanese teleporting TFs for a non-historical start. He says that he'll finish the turn sometime this week. Then, my first turn will be very short, only moving existing TFs and checking settings on bases, not much else. My long turn will the the second turn, after viewing the first combat.

OPilot says that he is inclined to go after Singapore, much as Aurorus did. We'll see. I do hope to save Prince of Wales and Repulse, but if KB comes very close to Singapore, with Allied TFs only moving in one phase of the first non-historical turn, my ships can't go far.

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 20
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/10/2018 7:46:37 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Nice beginning. Good luck!

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 21
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/11/2018 10:50:20 PM   
apbarog

OPilot reports that he should be finished with the opening Japanese turn in our non-historical start tomorrow. My turn will be short. I'll be allowed to move existing task forces but not create new ones. I may or may not move Chinese units; that is still undecided and one turn won't make much difference anyhow. So my turn will be quick, with my second turn being very time consuming.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 4/11/2018 10:52:30 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 22
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/12/2018 10:47:04 PM   
apbarog

I completed the first turn for our game. I did cover the Chinese area in detail, except for the air units. I'll decide what to do with them with the next turn. For the 2 US carriers that start west of Hawaii, I moved them south for the turn. Sometimes I move one towards Wake to evacuate the fighters there. In this game, I did not.

In the Philippines, I will have the 2 heavy cruisers disband in ports around Mindanao. With the teleporting enemy carriers, there is no safe spot really. I can run them at full speed to safety in future turns.

OPilot says that I will have the combat replay in an hour or two.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 23
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/13/2018 12:12:09 AM   
MakeeLearn

So Sorry, My Island Now!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 24
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/13/2018 12:42:36 AM   
apbarog

Watched the Dec 7 replay. KB went to Singapore, much like Aurorus did in my last game. And similar to then, Prince of Wales and Repulse went SW from Singapore, and ended up 7 hexes from KB. Looked like Repulse got hit by one torpedo and Prince of Wales got hit by 4. It didn't appear to sink immediately. It did look like a number of Kates were lost attacking them.

Ships in Singapore's port were hit hard. Unlike the last game, the enemy landed on Luzon, landing at Legaspi. No sign of enemy activity around Hawaii, except for the many, many subs. I learned in the last game that not having Pearl Harbor attacked means that there are many more Catalinas available, and this can be important in the first six months in the South Pacific, and elsewhere. Used with small AVPs to support them at tiny ports, the Allies can keep a good watch on the enemy. We'll see if this develops in this game.

Clark AFB was hit hard, as was Manila's airfield. Ships and subs in Manila's port didn't appear to be hit too badly by Bettys/Nells.

I don't expect the actual turn tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 25
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/15/2018 7:03:05 AM   
apbarog

7 Dec 41 - Part One

I've completed part of my first big turn. Started at Hawaii, did the South Pacific, New Zealand, New Guinea, Australia, the Philippines, Borneo, Java, and Sumatra. China was done on my small first turn, as I was allowed to move ground units there on the first non-historical turn. Tomorrow I'll do Singapore and Malaysia, Burma, and India, then Canada and the US.

Let's go over what I can so far. First, here's the combat summary for December 7th, a day that won't live in quite so much infamy. There was no Pearl Harbor attack.

Zeros swept Singapore. Nates swept Alor Star. Bettys with Zeros hit Clark Field hard. Nells with Zeros hit Manila's airfield, moderately.

KB appeared east of Singapore. 27 Kates, 36 Vals, and 36 Zeros attacked the port and the airfield. Planes damaged on the ground, little damage to the airfield, and a few ships hit:

DD Encounter, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AMC Manoora, Bomb hits 1
CM Kung Wo, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 2
xAK Silverbeech, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Sallys and Lilys with Oscars hit Alor Star's airfield, doing much damage.

In the morning, 13 Kates with 18 Zeros went after Force Z at range 7.

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 2 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 4 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales
BC Repulse, Torpedo hits 1

In the afternoon, the big strike hit Force Z. 66 Kates with 18 Zeros:

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 26 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales, Torpedo hits 4
BC Repulse
DD Electra

To my surprise, Prince of Wales' damage is only SYS 12/FLOT 15/ENG 2/FIRE 0. Repulse's damage is SYS 15/FLOT 12/ENG 0/FIRE 0. The TF can make 12 hexes at full speed, and with KB so close (and smelling blood), I decide to run them full speed towards Soerabaja. This was the highlight of the day: seeing Force Z in such good shape.

In the afternoon, 63 Nells and 27 Bettys with 18 Zeros hit Singapore's airfield and port. Minor airfield damage, but a bunch of ships were hit:

AG Vyner Brooke, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMC Kanimlba, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAKL Kuala, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DM Stronghold, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 3
PG Herald, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AMC Manoora, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Jupiter, Bomb hits 1
TK Spirilla, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAP Dominion Monarch, Bomb hits 1, on fire

18 Vals with 18 Zeros then hit CL Danae with 3 bombs, the only ship in a task force at Singapore.

As I haven't done Singapore yet, I can't say what has sunk so far there.

In the afternoon, 9 Nells with 27 Zeros hit Manila's port, hitting sub Seadragon once. Nothing else in Manila's port was hit today. Seadragon only needs a few days of undisturbed repair there.

12 Kates from a CVL south of Mindanao hit Davao's port:

AVD William B. Preston, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage (sunk)
xAKL Mauban, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

4 Hudsons on Borneo went after BB Kongo to the north, but missed.

Ida's and Sonia's target the Hong Kong Fortress. In at least most of my games, bombing this unit results in no damage. This happened again this game.

Legaspi was the only base on Luzon invaded today. Nothing seen at Mindanao yet. From the map, it looks like Mersing is about to get invaded, and probably a base or two on the northern coast of Borneo.

I'll make another update tomorrow, after I finish the areas not done so far.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 26
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/15/2018 6:27:30 PM   
apbarog

Ship Losses 7 Dec 41

Just 3 ships lost so far: an AVD at Davao, an xAKL at Singapore, and an xAKL near Kuantan. Shown below are the damaged ships at Singapore. Not that bad, considering. Lots of undamaged xAPs there still. Just about everything will make a run for it today, with some ships ducking into bases on the way out, disbanding there and disappearing for a day.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 27
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/15/2018 6:32:41 PM   
apbarog

The Philippines - 7 Dec 41

With a CVL to the south of Mindanao, and probably carriers near Legaspi, the door is already closed for ships wanting to flee from Manila. It's a more difficult situation with a non-historical start. The trap can be set and the Allied ships are stuck in port until 8 Dec.

So I'm trying something different. Instead of releasing the horde and shotgunning them every which direction, I am moving ships from base to base, being careful to note how far a ship will move during the night phase, and then disband them. So they are moving half the distance possible, but will disappear into obscure bases on the way out.

The hope is that eventually an opportunity will open up for them to make a run for it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 28
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/15/2018 8:54:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

The Philippines - 7 Dec 41

With a CVL to the south of Mindanao, and probably carriers near Legaspi, the door is already closed for ships wanting to flee from Manila. It's a more difficult situation with a non-historical start. The trap can be set and the Allied ships are stuck in port until 8 Dec.

So I'm trying something different. Instead of releasing the horde and shotgunning them every which direction, I am moving ships from base to base, being careful to note how far a ship will move during the night phase, and then disband them. So they are moving half the distance possible, but will disappear into obscure bases on the way out.

The hope is that eventually an opportunity will open up for them to make a run for it.

If he has all his strength to the south and southeast, take the northern route and pass just north of the Bonins before heading south east.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 29
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 4/16/2018 1:43:15 AM   
apbarog

Most of my ships are creeping south toward Leyte. I'll hopefully break out to the east or toward the south when an opportunity arises.

The turn is complete and sent. Other notes:

I like to evacuate Rabaul if possible. If I'm able to, I'm going to do something different and send a unit to Tulagi. Every Japanese player knows what is needed to take Rabaul. Without reinforcement, Rabaul is always going to fall. The Solomons, however, are known to be empty, and it's common to take bases on the cheap, with small engineer units with litte combat value. I'll try to set a surprise there.

Most shipping at Pearl Harbor is going to stay until the many enemy subs leave the area. There's usually a flood passing by back toward the west, with some staying to the east.

I'm sending more US air units to Capetown destined for India, more than my previous game.

All of those subs at Manila that didn't get bombed? I'm loading them all up with supply and sending them to China. I may be able to get a few thousand supply in this way.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI