Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 5/30/2018 1:36:08 AM   
apbarog

19 Jan 42

Many enemy minesweepers do their work at their new base at Singapore. Hundreds of mines are swept. One is swept the hard way by DMS W-1. Sinking audio is heard later in the replay.

Dutch sub KXV fired 2 torpedoes at DD Kagero near Kavieng, but missed. Kirishima is here too.

Bettys with Zeros hit Soerabaja's airfield, damaging a handful of planes. I had put all of the fighters on rest, not wanting to throw them away against another Zero sweep. I put them back on CAP now.

Cebu and Manila are bombed, and more in China. Sonia's and Nates hit Kanhsien in the south. P-40s are moved in to CAP tomorrow.

My CAP trap at Moulmein didn't work. No enemy today. He's had good recon on Rangoon, and probably noticed all of the fighters showing up. I'll rest the AVG tomorrow.

Battleship Prince of Wales has completed repairs at Sydney. It will now go into a 15 day upgrade there, and then join the US carriers in the South Pacific.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 121
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 5/30/2018 8:03:55 PM   
apbarog

20 Jan 42

Enemy minesweepers complete the job of sweeping mines at Singapore.

6 Sallys bomb Rangoon's airfield at night. This is the first night attack of the war, for either side. We have few house rules in this game, and no rules regarding night bombings. My personal opinion is that Allied night bombing is an effective way to sweep enemy fighters. I prefer not to do much with night bombing, leaving it as an option for late-war bombing of Japan. But I'll use it when it can make a difference, even if it is used sparingly.

I-168 is patrolling near Brisbane. It fires 2 torpedoes at AM Ipswitch but misses. The sub escapes.

Batavia is swept by 32 Oscars from Palembang. There is no CAP.

I had moved P-40s to Kanhsien in southern China, hoping to catch some bombers. I didn't, but when doing the turn, I noticed that there were 4 Topsys and 4 Thalia's shot down. I didn't see any of that in the replay; maybe I just missed it. Checking the Operations Report, I saw a pilot that got a couple of kills, and he is in the unit that was at Kanhsien. OPilot was evidently flying in supply to his troops there. So the CAP trap worked, sort of. I moved the fighters out to Changsha and will await another surprise opportunity.

Changsha is bombed by a few Sonias.

Ambon is bombed by Nells. Enemy combat ships are at Kendari. Looks like Ambon is the next target.

SigInt says that a mortar unit is now planning for Batavia, and the 22nd Division is now planning for Changsha.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 122
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 5/31/2018 10:13:28 PM   
apbarog

21 Jan 42

Zeros sweep Ambon. No CAP. The few Dutch fighters moved. One actually shot down a Zero yesterday.

Cebu is bombed. SigInt says that the 38th Division is planning for Cebu.

Oscars sweep Kanhsien, looking for my P-40s that were there yesterday. No CAP.

Miscellaneous bombing in Malaysia and China.

The Wake reinforcement convoy will arrive tomorrow. Catalinas continue to patrol from Wake, and have seen nothing.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 123
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/1/2018 6:47:32 AM   
apbarog

22 Jan 42

Just northeast of Truk, sub Pompano spots Kirishima and friends. 2 torpedoes are fired at destroyer Shrianui, but miss. A depth charge hits Pompano, doing moderate damage, and the sub will retire to Brisbane for repairs. This spotting is interesting, as it is just to the northeast of Truk. Kirishima was recently spotted further south, so these ships aren't just arriving from Japan. They are outbound from Truk. Where would they be going to the northeast? Japan is highly unlikely, unless there's a redistribution going on for something in the Aleutians. Doubtful. I think the ships are headed to Wake. And there may be carriers here that I just didn't spot. At Wake, my reinforcement task force just arrived, and will start unloading tomorrow. But unloading there is painfully slow, with a size 2 port and no naval support. I figure I have a couple of days if ships are inbound. It will be more dicey with the minelayers coming in a few days. I do have Catalinas searching from Wake though.

Japanese Ships
DD Shiranui
BB Kirishima
CA Chikuma
CL Abukuma
DD Urakaze
DD Kasumi
DD Arare
DD Tanikaze
DD Hamakaze

Salamaua, New Guinea is invaded by fast transport.

Destroyer Voyager does some minor damage to I-6 near Lahaina, Hawaii.

Oscars again sweep Kanhsien, China but again find no CAP.

25 Bettys with 30 Zeros attack the port at Soerabaja.

Morning Air attack on Soerabaja , at 56,104

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 30
G4M1 Betty x 25

Allied aircraft
B-339D x 8
CW-21B Demon x 5
75A-7 Hawk x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-339D: 2 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
75A-7 Hawk: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
SS KXVII, Bomb hits 1
SS KXIV, Bomb hits 3

Port hits 3

Moderate damage to one sub, barely a scratch to the other. KXIV will leave and be repaired at Brisbane. The Dutch fighters did ok this time. Losses were 3 Bettys and 2 Zeros, for the cost of 4 B339Ds, 1 Hawk and 1 Demon. OPilot will probably sweep tomorrow.

Ambon's port is bombed by 41 Nells, doing minor damage. Miscellaneous bombing in Malaysia and China.

Lilys bomb Batavia's runway. No CAP.

Pakhoi is invaded amphibiously by the Sasebo 8th SNLF. I'm actually happy about this. I'd evacuated it, and have had to be careful with base supply settings to keep the supply from flowing back to Pakhoi. Now I won't have to worry about that. Getting supply into Pakhoi by ship was successful, with about 25,000 supply delivered from the Philippines.

A Chinese corp is beat up near Nanning, forcing it north into Nanning. The enemy shows movement back to the west toward Vietnam. It's probably planning on heading west then north, trying to flank any defense line by going along the trails.

All of those Dutch ARDs are now arriving at Melbourne. Lots of Dutch shipping is already there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 124
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/1/2018 10:41:31 PM   
apbarog

23 Jan 42

7 Sallys bomb Rangoon at night, again. Just one runway hit, again. I decide to continue to ignore the nuisance raid. 3 AVG squadrons will again LRCAP Moulmein, which now has 4 enemy units. The Burma defender there is a weak unit and will be brushed aside. We'll see if OPilot commits some air unit here. He normally does for a ground attack.

A couple of days east of Wake Island, 4 US minelayers spot RO-61, and get a depth charge hit on the sub. Later in the day, RO-61 fired 2 torpedoes at DM Ramsay, but missed. Some minor damage given to the sub. The bad news is that the position of this encounter could only mean that the minelayers are going to or coming from Wake Island. This tells OPilot that I'm showing some interest in Wake. Transports have unloaded most of the reinforcing unit there, and need another day or maybe two to complete the job. Catalinas at Wake do not spot anything.

Bettys and Zeros reappear over Soerabaja. CAP was not flying. A few damaged planes on the ground. Fighters redeploy to Batavia, while bombers move to another base in the south.

Ambon's port is bombed by Nells.

Sallys bomb ground units near Temuloh in Malaysia. There's a British AA Regiment here, though, and lots of Sallys are damaged and a couple are brought down. They flew at 6,000 feet.

I evacuated Kanhsien, and it was captured today by a division, brigade, and a regiment. Pakhoi, undefended, was lost.

Noumea upgraded to a size 3 airfield and port, showing that I'm active here.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 125
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/2/2018 3:47:02 PM   
DOCUP

I'm waiting to see what happens at Wake.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 126
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/2/2018 9:17:30 PM   
apbarog

24 Jan 42

14 Sallys bombed Rangoon at night, destroying an H81-A3 on the ground. I guess that I have to play the night game now. Moved a small fighter unit from Calcutta to Rangoon for night duty. Moving out the 3 AVG squadrons temporarily. OPilot did a bombardment attack at Moulmein, and can see that bombing isn't necessary to take the base.

Near Madjene, Sealion fired 4 torpedoes at DD Hokaze, but missed. xAP Kitano Maru is also spotted.

Buna is invaded by fast transport. It is undefended.

Bettys with Zeros hit Soerabaja's airfield and port, but hit very little of either.

Cebu is bombed again. SigInt says that the 38th Infantry Divison is inbound.

Changsha is swept by Oscars. No CAP. Nanning is swept by 7 Tojos, and no CAP there either.

Medan is bombed by 27 Sallys, same as every day. It's clear terrain, and the defenders are getting hammered, but I refuse to leave the base for better terrain.

And then there is Wake. In the morning, my transports are spotted and 6 Nells fly from the Marshalls, but miss xAP Haleakala. But in the afternoon, Catalinas spot enemy carriers to the southwest of Wake.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 136,98

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 115 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 43 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 54
B5N2 Kate x 27
D3A1 Val x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 4 damaged
D3A1 Val: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Montgomery City, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hull
xAP Haleakala, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP St. Mihel, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AP William Ward Burrows, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

All damaged ships sink before the end of the day. All troops were unloaded first. Hate to lose a nice AP, but I risked it. Hull was not hit and will run for the hills. Wake should be mined tonight, unless a surface group interferes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 127
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/3/2018 5:59:05 AM   
apbarog

25 Jan 42

Sallys again attack Rangoon's airfield at night. I made an error here, moving in the wrong unit to CAP at night. I corrected my error for tomorrow night. No planes were lost on the ground, as the AVG was moved out.

Batavia was attacked, and the Dutch Air Force defended.

Morning Air attack on Batavia , at 49,98

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 24 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 27
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 21

Allied aircraft
B-339D x 6
CW-21B Demon x 5
75A-7 Hawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 3 destroyed, 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-339D: 1 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
75A-7 Hawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Actual losses were 9 Lilys for the cost of 3 Dutch fighters, as shown above.

15 Nells attacked Wake Island's airfield, but severe storms caused the bombers to miss entirely.

Bettys with Zeros attacked Soerabaja on their daily run.

In the afternoon, what I will call KB launched against Wake Island's port:

Afternoon Air attack on Wake Island , at 136,98

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 118 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 44 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 54
D3A1 Val x 101

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 11 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Port hits 3
Port fuel hits 1

Yesterday, my transports were hit by carrier planes and badly damaged during the replay, but sank later in the turn. OPilot went after the port thinking there might be damaged ships there, but there was not. I don't know if all of KB is here, but a significant part is. I think about half. At least half.

The US minelayers moved one hex into Wake, dropped their mines, then moved 9 hexes (full speed) to the east northeast. They still ended up being 7 hexes from KB, but were once again hidden by weather. They will now make a circuitous route to Midway, going more north than necessary to avoid KB should it move east.

Tandjoengbalai, Sumatra is invaded by 2 infantry regiments and support. It will be enough to roll north on the coast through Medan all the way to Sabang.

Cebu is invaded by the 38th Infantry Division. I task a few float planes at Boela to fly out a fragment of the US 1st Port Maint Engineer Battalion. I'll reconstitute it in Australia.

Moulmein is lost.

The enemy has been flying bombing runs in northeastern China unopposed. I moved a fighter squadron to Yenan to contest a mountain hex 3 hexes to the east of town. The fighters didn't get there in time before the bombing, but they did catch the bombers on the way out.

Morning Air attack on 3rd Prov Chinese Corps, at 91,37 , near Kweisui

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 4 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 16

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 6 destroyed

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 6000 feet *
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

10 Sallys are shot down. 2LT S.C. Grashio becomes an ace here, flying with the 24th Pursuit Group/17th Pursuit Squadron. This unit came from the Philippines and is flying P-40s. The unit now has 33 kills. I move the unit back to Changsha to rest and wait for the next surprise opportunity.

I'm trying something truly crazy, but I have to try. You may remember xAK Ethel Edwards. It fled Manila to the southwest and was caught with many of the other valuable ships by a cruiser force near Balabac. Ethel Edwards was badly damaged, and ducked into Kudat to hide. It stayed there for a bit, then moved to Balabac when Kudat was getting overrun. It was able to bring its SYS damage down some, but it had lots of FLOT damage. After quite awhile, I moved it back to Manila, slowly, with all its damage. It wasn't seen, and made it. Now, after a couple of weeks of repair in the shipyard, and no port bombing, it is fully repaired. The ARD that starts at Manila, ARD YFD-1 Dewey, is a drydock for ships up to 20,000 tons. Very nice. But it has been badly damaged in bombing, with SYS 54/FLOT 16/ENG 14/FIRE 0.

I'm going to pair these ships up and try to make it to safety. It's impossible. The ARD can only move one hex a day, and it's very possible that it will accrue more damage. But I'm going to move it out past Bataan, then north around Luzon, being careful not to go through base hexes that are getting enemy recon. If it makes it unseen, it will continue east and try to run the gap between Iwo Jima and Japan. Crazy. The journey at one hex a day would take a long time, maybe 3 months. But I have to try.

If the ships are spotted, Ethel Edwards will leave the ARD to its fate and continue the escape run, at a more reasonable speed of 6 hexes a day.

It won't work. It can't work. But I have to try! If I save that ARD, I'll declare the war won right there and then!

Now that I've explained it all, they'll probably move to Bataan tomorrow, be spotted, and be sunk by Bettys from Formosa...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 128
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/3/2018 6:54:35 PM   
apbarog

26 Jan 42

Denpasar (Bali) is invaded.

Battleships Kirishima and Hiei bombard Wake, doing moderate damage to troops and facilities, but wiping out most of the supply there. Bad. I will eventually try to sneak more supply in, if given the opportunity. There's no invasion at Wake today, or sign of one incoming.

Sallys bomb Rangoon at night. Buffaloes don't try to intercept.

Soerabaja, Changsha, and Rangoon are all swept by enemy fighters. No CAP at any.

KB launches a small strike against troops at Wake Island. Probably a recon strike. 27 Kates and 15 Vals, and they hit nothing. KB moves to the southwest of Wake.

Iloilo is invaded.

SigInt says that the 7th Tank Regiment is on an xAK and headed to Merak. Northern Java Dutch bombers are set to naval strike, ranged to Merak. Southern Java Dutch bombers are set to naval strike, ranged to Denpasar.

There are multiple Glen subs near Midway. They spotted my cargo TF there and destroyer Hull. The cargo TF stops unloading and will head west and hope to get into Wake sometime.

xAK Ethel Edwards and ARD Dewey left Manila and passed through Bataan unseen. They head north.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 129
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/4/2018 8:57:08 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Imagine a huge floating dock slowly traipsing through the Luzon Strait and then north of Iwo Jima. Emily crewmen will think they are seeing things and be too embarrassed to report it.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 130
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/4/2018 1:08:30 PM   
Bif1961

If they spot it they will miss report it as a carrier and really freak him out so close to the Home Islands.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 131
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/4/2018 7:54:49 PM   
apbarog

27 Jan 42

Enemy landings continue at Iloilo, Cebu, and Denpasar. At Denpasar, Dutch torpedo boats attack. Conditions were good, with thunderstorms, limiting visibility.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Denpasar at 58,108, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu
BB Yamashiro
BB Ise
BB Hyuga
CL Natori
DD Satsuki
DD Minazuki
DD Fumizuki
DD Nagatsuki
DD Asakaze
DD Harukaze
DD Matsukaze
DD Hatakaze

Allied Ships
TM-10
TM-11
TM-12
TM-13, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
TM-14
TM-15

But torpedoes from one TM only targeted Japanese destroyers, and they missed. That TM will return to Soerabaja for rearming. The rest go back to Denpasar tonight.

Sallys return to Rangoon at night. 4 Buffaloes intercept. Shots are fired, seemingly more by the bombers than the fighters. Nothing comes of the intercept. Bombs miss in heavy rain.

A Dutch sub made the long trip to Japan to drop some mines at Oita, at the exit point in that area. OPilot was ready. AMc Wa 20 was there waiting, and was sweeping mines before daylight even. Mission failure. I've done a few minelaying missions, but I'm mainly stockpiling mines for later, which is an unusual strategy for me. At least I can see that I'm keeping OPilot concerned about mines.

Changsha's airfield was hit moderately by bombers. Rangoon was swept by about 40 Oscars. No CAP. I have a decision to make here. 3 AVG squadrons are nearby, waiting to LRCAP Pegu since enemy troops are approaching from Moulmein. But I haven't decided whether it's worth it. The Burma Division is at Pegu, but the terrain is clear, and enough enemy troops are approaching to kick them out. I may decide to just withdraw into the jungle to the north and fight a delay‌ing action, giving up the approach to Rangoon.

Nells bomb Wake Island's airfield, doing minor damage. Supply is the problem for me though. Continuing enemy bombing could signal an enemy invasion is coming.

The Dutch bombers flew in force to attack enemy ships at Denpasar. Lots of bombers flew and bombed at 6,000 feet. They have almost adequate naval bombing skills. But all bombs missed. And they targeted mostly battleships, so it wouldn't have mattered anyhow. 3 bombers did fly from Soerabaja and attacked an xAK a bit to the southeast of Denpassar, but missed.

The surrounded Chinese corp in the mountains in far northeastern China is finally being reduced and will be eliminated soon.

The enemy attacks at Cebu at 1 to 1 odds and reduces the forts to 0. It will fall tomorrow.

Tandjoengbalai on Sumatra fell, as did Denpasar.

xAK Ethel Edwards and ARD Dewey made just one hex today, moving north from Bataan. They weren't seen. There is an enemy task force to the northwest a few hexes, but I think it is moving southwest. So far, so good. Only a few more months of moving one hex a day to safety. With the Allied fleet mostly inactive in the South Pacific, I'm having more fun with moving the ARD than anything else.

I am taking advantage of a mistake that I made. I shipped a coastal gun unit from the West Coast to Sydney, not realizing that it withdraws in just a short amount of time, about a month from now. I decided to ship it to Tulagi. Maybe OPilot will invade before then and the CD guns can contribute to the war before withdrawing.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 132
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/5/2018 12:15:28 AM   
Bif1961

That unit will be disappointed with their short liberty in Sydney before you place them in harm's way at the end of the Australian empire.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 133
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/5/2018 1:00:51 AM   
apbarog

The crew was disappointed. They barely got off the ship, then turned around and reloaded in amphibious mode. They might be slightly more happy than the crew of ARD Dewey though. Dewey's crew might like the chance to escape captivity in Manila, but can't be happy with the incredible journey they've begun. And they haven't been told of the route home they are taking.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 134
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/6/2018 12:46:57 AM   
apbarog

28 Jan 42

Ambon is bombarded by battleships Haruna and Kongo and friends. No invasion yet.

4 Dutch TMs engaged a big task force with battleships Mutsu, Yamashiro, Ise, and Hyuga and friends at Denpasar. A torpedo misses Yamashiro, fired at 2,000 yards range. One TM is lost and the survivors head back to Soerabaja.

Multiple Oscar squadrons sweep Rangoon again. No CAP. I've decided to evacuate Pegu and Rangoon with the enemy approaching.

Bettys with Zeros hit Soerabaja's port, sinking 2 tiny HDMLs. The HDMLs are so short-legged they are stuck there.

Other bases bombed by the enemy include Cebu, Iloilo, Kukong, Medan, Wake, Padang, and Pontianak. A few Allied ground units are bombed in Malaysia and China.

The enemy continues to liquidate the surrounded Chinese Corp in the mountains of far northeast China.

Japanese troops advance north in Sumatra, approaching Medan.

Cebu is lost to the 38th Infantry Divison.

xAK Ethel Edwards and ARD Dewey didn't move at all today, stuck just north of Bataan. I'm starting to wonder if they might not move. Ships without fuel move one hex by default, I thought. Dewey runs out of fuel every day, and shows projected movement at 0 on the ship screen. We'll see what happens tomorrow. It's possible that a combination of no fuel and damage is limiting it. SYS is over 50, and some FLOT damage too. If it can't move even one hex on most days (or all days), I'll put Dewey in port and run with Ethel. Unleaded please.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 135
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/6/2018 11:23:14 AM   
zuluhour

check their threat tolerance

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 136
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/6/2018 7:14:09 PM   
apbarog

29 Jan 42

I'm distributing tiny minewsweepers. Most came from Java. I-171 took a shot at AMc Rindjani near Suva, but missed.

Ambon is invaded. Coastal guns miss a lot of shots against combat ships, but do well against transport shipping, hitting with a few big shells, particularly xAK Erie Maru.

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara, Shell hits 1
DD Wakatake
DD Wakaba
DD Hatsushima
AMC Saigon Maru, Shell hits 2
AMC Bankok Maru, Shell hits 1
AMC Asaka Maru
xAK Erie Maru, Shell hits 4, on fire
xAK Asama Maru #2
PB Okiyu Maru

Japanese Ships
DMS W-13
CL Nagara
DD Nenohi
AMC Asaka Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Erie Maru, on fire
PB Okiyu Maru
AMC Saigon Maru

ARD Dewey did move a hex today. The task force it is in with xAK Ethel Edwards is set for Absolute movement. Hopefully they'll keep moving.

I-8 finds a big convoy of xAKs and xAKLs heading from Australia to Pearl Harbor. The attack is near Fanning Island, at a pivot point in my main convoy route. The convoy route for other task forces is immediately changed. xAKL Prominent is hit by a torpedo and gravely damaged, with fires out of control. The ship is scuttled. The bunch of xAKLs are making their way to Panama and will begin hauling supply from the US East Coast to Cape Town.

We were hit with the "sync bug" today. That sub attack by I-8 wasn't in my replay. My replay had B-17 strikes flying in China but the combat report did not. In the replay, I was excited to see a Dutch bomber actually get a hit on an xAP approaching the Soerabaja area, but apparently it didn't really happen.

I am double-checking all of our game setting to make sure that they match, and I told OPilot not to hit the Escape key when watching the replay. Whether this makes any real difference, I don't know. Not having a valid replay to watch does take away from the enjoyment of each turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 137
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/6/2018 7:56:44 PM   
jwolf

quote:

I am double-checking all of our game setting to make sure that they match, and I told OPilot not to hit the Escape key when watching the replay. Whether this makes any real difference, I don't know. Not having a valid replay to watch does take away from the enjoyment of each turn.

The sync bug is one of the few really serious flaws in this game. Question: how can either player not hit escape during the replay? After a combat when the results show up in a box, don't you need to hit escape to close it and continue the replay?

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 138
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/6/2018 8:14:06 PM   
apbarog

I never hit escape in the replay. I hit the small "Done" button in the upper right of the replay screen to speed up something that I don't want to watch.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 139
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/6/2018 8:40:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

check their threat tolerance

More likely just ran out of ops points when the xAK refuelled the ARD. Maybe not totally used up, but enough that the movement did not get to the next hex.
BTW, you do not lose those miles moved toward the next hex, so even if you are refuelling the ARD every turn, sometimes there will be enough remaining ops points to move to the next hex and sometimes not. Depends on how many carry-over miles from the previous turn there are.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 140
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/7/2018 8:36:56 PM   
apbarog

30 Jan 42

No sync bug today, rejoice!

S-36 spots huge transport xAP Miike Maru near Balabac, but misses with 4 torpedoes. Would have been a nice catch.

Ambon is bombarded again. Dutch CD guns don't hit anything today.

Enemy DMS start to clear mines at Georgetown, so shipping is now moving north from Singapore.

Tjepoe and Merak on Java are invaded. Tiny HDMLs battle briefly at Tjepoe but don't get into range during the daylight. One HDML is sunk. Torpedoe boats also engage, but also don't get into range. No losses.

Dutch sub KXVII spots transport shipping at Tjepoe, but takes some minor damage from ASW.

SB-IIIs and B-17s hit enemy troops in the clear in China. Bad weather prevents lots of enemy casualties.

The Dutch Air Force sorties against enemy invasion shipping. Enemy CAP is very light. OPilot is using just a CVL/CVE task force to protect Tjepoe. Merak must have LRCAP. I list the attacks to show my excitement with the attacks.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Kalidjati at 50,99

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 6
B-339D x 10

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
139WH-3: 2 damaged
B-339D: 3 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Ashigara
AK Sakura Maru

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 14
B-339D x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
139WH-3: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AK Sasako Maru
CL Kuma
CA Ashigara
DD Yugiri
Morning Air attack on TF, near Batavia at 49,97

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 6
CW-21B Demon x 10

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Murakumo
DD Ayanami

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 3

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese Ships
CL Kuma
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Tjepoe at 55,101

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 24
B-339D x 14

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-339D: 6 destroyed

Japanese Ships
DD Kawakaze
CL Yura
CVL Zuiho
CVE Hosho

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 3 x 300 kg SAP Bomb
6 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet
3 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet *
Naval Attack: 2 x 300 kg SAP Bomb
7 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet
2 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet *
Naval Attack: 2 x 300 kg SAP Bomb
3 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 3 x 300 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
139WH-3: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
139WH-3: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CL Yura

Raid spotted at 29 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x 139WH-3 bombing from 6000 feet

Raid spotted at 41 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Allied aircraft
T.IVa x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x T.IVa bombing from 8000 feet
Naval Attack: 3 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Merak at 48,97

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 7 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
139WH-3 x 6
75A-7 Hawk x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
75A-7 Hawk: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
xAP Yoshino Maru
CL Naka

The Dutch fighters sacrifice themselves bravely to protect the bombers, and do an excellent job. 16 B339Ds and 6 Hawks are lost. Just 3 bombers are lost. But not a single bomb hits. So many bombers got through to the small carriers, but no hits. Expectations are always low with the Dutch aircraft, but I had my hopes up when the plan of attack worked.

We try again tomorrow, still with lots of bombers but very few fighters to escort. 4 A-24s arrive from Australia to hopefully put a 1000 pound bomb on something.

ARD Dewey moved a hex today.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 141
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/7/2018 9:06:03 PM   
BBfanboy

What is that Japanese TF down near Makassar?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 142
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/7/2018 9:17:37 PM   
apbarog

Nothing significant. I think is heading back from the Denpasar invasion.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 143
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/8/2018 10:39:20 PM   
zuluhour

I withdrew the Dutch too early. I would have liked an ambush about now by Dutch surface units from both north and south, at flank, right into that mess. Unfortunately
They do not have much in the way of captains for a seafaring nation to really count on them pressing attacks.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 144
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/8/2018 10:57:38 PM   
apbarog

31 Jan 42

Enemy landings continued at Tjepoe, Kalidjati and Merak.

7 tiny Dutch HDMLs go to Merak to counter the landings. They run into 4 heavy cruisers and 4 destroyers, and all are sunk, and in very quick succession.

A similar fight with 3 HDMLs occurs at Tjepoe going up against 4 battleships and escorts. All HDMLs are sunk. 4 torpedo boats then go after the battleship task force. One torpedo boat fires its torpedo at a destroyer but misses. Later, 3 of the TMs are sunk by the battleships.

Well east of Hawaii, I-6 is on the prowl, and finds a big task force of tiny support ships: YOs, AMcs, and ACMs. The sub elects not to attack. Later, it declines to attack again, but a depth charge from PC Aridane hits the sub.

The Dutch Air Force again goes all out against enemy invasion shipping. Again, some bombers target the CVLs and CVEs, but again all bombs miss. Dutch losses, as predicted with far fewer escorts today, are heavy. 24 139 WH-3s, 7 Demons, 3 B339Ds, 2 Falcons, and 1 T IVas are lost. There is one bright spot:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Sampit at 56,99

Raid detected at 25 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Allied aircraft
A-24 Banshee x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x A-24 Banshee releasing from 4000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Carrier support unable to supply air cover..

This is a tiny A-24 unit. The bigger squadrons that appear in Australia start with completely untrained pilots, and the units withdraw in March 1942. This small unit has only 5 or 6 planes, but its pilots had some degree of training. So I sent them to Java.

At Tulagi, RO-66 finds my task force unloading a coastal gun unit. APD Paul Jones is hit by a torpedo and sunk. Some of the unit was unloaded. The shipping will now head to Luganville to unload the rest of the unit. It's not worth risking the shipping to unload a unit that disbands in 28 days.

Kalidjati and Merak on Java are lost. An enemy attack at Ambon fails at 1 to 2 odds.

I don't regret withdrawing the Dutch navy after being aggressive with them initially. OPilot is heavily covering his landings with battleships and cruisers. He did surprise me by not using KB though. His air coverage has been weak, and his shipping has been vulnerable. The Dutch Air Force just wasn't up for the job though. I did as much naval bombing training as I could, and got most pilots to between 55 and 60, but it wasn't enough.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 145
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/9/2018 4:05:53 AM   
apbarog

I have two cargo ships at Wake Island unloading supply. They were spotted today. I decided to leave them there for another day to continue unloading. If there weren't any enemy ships already coming, I should have another day before something from Kwajalein can arrive. Of course, Bettys can and have reached Wake already, so that's another risk. But the troops need the supply.

And at Tulagi, with my task force spotted there unloading the coastal guns, my plans have changed. OPilot knows that I'm there and paying attention to Tulagi, so he won't do a blind invasion with a small unit now. He'll bring enough to do the job, after doing good recon. With combat ships spotted at Shortlands, I cancel any plan to extract the Lark unit. I'll hold as long as I can with what I have.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 146
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/9/2018 8:23:43 PM   
apbarog

1 Feb 42

Haruna and Kongo and friends bombard Ambon, doing moderate damage to the troops there.

A few hexes west of Pearl Harbor, I-24 spots my task force heading to Johnston Island. The sub fires 2 torpedoes at AK Alchiba, hitting it once. The cargo ship has moderate damage, with FLOT over 50, and it does have some fire. I split it off with and APD and head to nearby Lihue and hope to save the nice AK. My ships were heading to Johnston to pick up the Island Defense Battalion there. I am removing it, and sending in an infantry regiment to strongly defend the island. Stacking limits prevents me from keeping the battalion there also.

2 Oscar squadrons continue to sweep Rangoon. Most troops have already left. The last unit leaves today. Pegu was already empty and flipped to the enemy today. Sallys do bomb Rangoon's port, doing minor damage. No ships there.

The Dutch sortie again to try to hit invasion shipping. Today the strikes are weaker, with almost no escorts, and the defensive CAP is stronger. No bombs hit and 15 more Dutch bombers are lost. The 4 US A-24s flew in both the morning and the afternoon, and targeted a light cruiser and a destroyer, but missed both. I pull back the unit to Timor. The Japanese now have bases on Java, so the opportunity to hit unprotected shipping is gone.

Tjepoe, Medan and Iloilo were lost.

ARD Dewey and xAK Ethel Edwards are now just off the northwestern tip of Luzon and will start to head east. They haven't been spotted.

Battlecruiser Repulse escorted a convoy back to Pearl Harbor. Repulse is SYS 1/FLOT 6/ENG 0/FIRE 0, and will require 15 days of repair at Pearl.

About a half dozen heavy cruisers start a refit at Auckland, and about the same number of destroyers start a refit at Sydney.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 147
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/10/2018 6:45:11 AM   
apbarog

2 Feb 42

Milne Bay is invaded by fast transport. (see map)

Another Dutch HDML lost at Banjoewangi.

Port Moresby's airfield is bombed by Bettys with Zeros from Rabaul.

Enemy attack at Ambon again, and again the Dutch hold, despite almost daily naval bombardments. I'm hoping more enemy troops have to be brought in, allowing the big Dutch coastal guns to get another shot at some shipping.

Ground combat at Ambon (76,109)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3597 troops, 24 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 115

Defending force 2462 troops, 48 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 53

Japanese adjusted assault: 47

Allied adjusted defense: 106

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
278 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 28 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
91 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 3 (2 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
15th Naval Guard Unit
16th Naval Guard Unit

Defending units:
Molukken KNIL Cdo
Molukken Mil'ie Cdo
Laha ML Base Force
Amboina Defenses
AP-VLG-IV Sup Afd

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 148
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/10/2018 8:13:28 PM   
apbarog

3 Feb 42

Dutch sub O20 fired 4 torpedoes at TB Hato but missed. Hato does some minor damage to O20 with near misses.

Haruna and Kongo again bombard Ambon.

Tagula Island is invaded by the enemy by fast transport. See the map.

Some bombing in China and Sumatra. Nowhere that I can CAP trap. Port Moresby is bombed.

Enemy attack in the woods southeast of Sian. It looked favorable for OPilot but 2 Chinese units arrived to reinforce today. The Chinese did ok despite the 2 units being in movement mode.

Ground combat at 85,43 (near Nanyang)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 25229 troops, 198 guns, 182 vehicles, Assault Value = 1231

Defending force 28102 troops, 115 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 759

Japanese adjusted assault: 448

Allied adjusted defense: 1660

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1771 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 180 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1216 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 80 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Assaulting units:
27th Division
35th Division
3rd Tank Regiment
12th Tank Regiment
36th Division

Defending units:
85th Chinese Corps
80th Chinese Corps
96th Chinese Corps
1st War Area
4th Group Army

I'm trying something interesting in the Solomons at Milne Bay. It's still an Allied dot base, with no defense, and an enemy unit arrived by fast transport recently. The enemy didn't attack, and the base didn't autoflip. It would have autoflipped if the enemy had at least some combat value. So it must not. I'm flying in a very small combat unit from Townsville, using Catalinas. Maybe they can clean out the enemy non-combat unit, they be evacuated by Cats. KB has reappeared, as the map shows.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 149
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 6/10/2018 8:49:39 PM   
jwolf

quote:

It would have autoflipped if the enemy had at least some combat value.

Not necessarily, to the best of my knowledge. I've run into this situation and after a couple of days I made a pro forma attack to take a dot base that wouldn't flip. On the turns when it didn't flip, other bases did. I speculate only one base can flip each day. I might be way off on that, but that is consistent with what I have seen.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI