Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO scenarios Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO scena... - 5/4/2018 4:53:34 PM   
Daniele

UPDATE! The book is now available on Amazon! Check it out here

Bart Gauvin and Joel Radunzel are excited to announce that we’ve partnered to write a series of alternate history “Cold War goes-hot” novels. The first novel in the series, Northern Fury: H-Hour, will be available in winter of 2018. Read on for the details!

Welcome to the Northern Fury world. This is a story of what might have happened if the Cold War had continued another five short years; the Warsaw Pact is disintegrating, NATO is fragile, a hardline resurgence in the Soviet Union is feeling strangled by western sanctions and threatened by the continuation of NATO as an alliance. What could possibly go wrong?

Bart Gauvin (AKA Gunner98) and Joel Radunzel (AKA Airborne Rifles) have combined forces to translate a fascinating historical "what if" into a story that is gripping, believable, and compelling. We created Northern Fury: H-Hour, the first in our series of World War III novels, through a unique process. Using Command Modern Air/Naval Operations (CMANO, or simply Command), an excellent game/simulation developed by Warfare Sims and published by Matrix Games, we crafted a series of scenarios that encompass the key engagements of our hypothetical conflict. Then by playing those scenarios and imagining the events through the eyes of the people who would have fought these battles, we were able to discover and write a story of conflict, heroism, sacrifice, and leadership that we are excited to pass on to you. 

In addition to the human drama, our alternate history showcases the evolution of military technology and doctrine that was emerging at the end of the Cold War. The Soviet Union was on the brink of crucial improvements in air defense and surface-to-surface missile technology, its ships were as or more capable than many western counterparts and its aircraft were reaching a level of parity with those fielded by the US. On the other side of the coin, the Seawolf class submarine was a major improvement in undersea technologies. The new weapons like the AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missile represented an impressive enhancement in air combat capability.

But the early ‘90s were also a transitional era. Countries retained older equipment as they struggled with the exponential growth in cost of new technologies. Nations who were banking on the "peace dividend" found themselves either short on modern military hardware or had to mortgage huge sums of capital to maintain an edge. The war that was about to come would see the ultra-modern pitted against the obsolete. For both sides, the balance would go to the nation who made the right choices in development, deployment and employment.

The first book in the series, Northern Fury: H-Hour, will be available by winter 2018. In the meantime feel free to peruse the website, play the scenarios and join the discussion!

Click here for more information about the book and the world of CMANO

Bart and Joel have been interviewed by Grogheads too! Check here the podcast

Game on!

< Message edited by Daniele -- 5/8/2019 7:45:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 5:20:16 PM   
Gunner98

You can also follow progress on the book on Twitter: @NorthernFury94 and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

I want to thank all the forum play-testers who have made the scenarios much better to play, and helped get this project moving.

Much more to come.

Bart Gauvin

< Message edited by Gunner98 -- 5/4/2018 5:22:21 PM >

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 5:20:47 PM   
Primarchx

The new Clancy & Bond, writing a book based on a game? Cool!

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 3
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 5:22:06 PM   
Raptorx7_slith

Oh this is fantastic, I can't wait to read it!

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 4
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 5:22:25 PM   
Airborne Rifles

Hey guys, for a sample of one of our chapters, check out our blog!

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 5:45:38 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Sweet, and it looks like I'm the first to like the FB page haha.

I've not played any of Northern Fury yet, mainly because I'm a bit intimidated by it, but is the campaign still in development, or is NF done?

The only progress I know of it is from the status of it in the CSP.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading this, and certainly a Cold War continuing into the 1990s is a very interesting premise indeed.

(in reply to Airborne Rifles)
Post #: 6
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 6:19:54 PM   
Gunner98

Scenarios are still being developed - for Northern Fury they are about 2/3 done. Carib, Med, Balt, IO and Pac are still very much in development

A few more to go..

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 7
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 6:24:55 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Scenarios are still being developed - for Northern Fury they are about 2/3 done. Carib, Med, Balt, IO and Pac are still very much in development

A few more to go..

Wow, still quite a ways to go!

I've got to build up my own skills some more before hoping to really tackle the Fury Campaigns

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 8
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 6:28:56 PM   
Sigma8510

This is too cool!!

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 9
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 8:52:46 PM   
Primarchx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Airborne Rifles

Hey guys, for a sample of one of our chapters, check out our blog!

Ah, some one is about to learn what 'force multiplier' means!

Post #: 10
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 9:45:58 PM   
i224747

+1

if possible give us approximate scenario times or scenario events (but no spoilers)
up to which point we should play and which book chapter we should read next or vice versa.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 11
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 9:47:56 PM   
Excroat3

Wow!!! I knew you two were planning something big, but this is awesome! Can't wait!

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 12
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 9:51:40 PM   
Gunner98

As Joel said in the grogcast - H-Hr covers the first 24 hrs of the war and the three years that lead up to that.

A perusal of the scenarios (available also in the Northern Fury Background Document in the CSP) listing on the web page http://northernfury.bhgdesigns.com/scenarios.php and you can narrow it down to the first three scenarios... lots of material to cover in the next books

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 13
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 10:57:59 PM   
Eggstor

Nice.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 14
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 11:37:43 PM   
Excroat3

I take it we've gotten a sneak peek at this book from Airborne Rifles' AARs? Or is the book not based off of his playthrough?

(in reply to Eggstor)
Post #: 15
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/4/2018 11:46:19 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

I take it we've gotten a sneak peek at this book from Airborne Rifles' AARs? Or is the book not based off of his playthrough?

Sort of. The book is not a copy of the AARs, but they are both inspired by the same scenarios. AR shared a snipit earlier: http://northernfury.bhgdesigns.com/blog/index.php?controller=post&action=view&id_post=3

We discuss the relationship a bit in the podcast as well.

B

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 16
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 12:31:02 AM   
Airborne Rifles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Excroat3

The scenarios and the novel are definitely linked, but as Gunner said, the book is an entirely new and distinct from the AARs. We'll be posting more down the road about our process for creating the story. Suffice it to say that cool things that happened in the simulation do make it into the story, and Command is complex enough that different players will achieve very different outcomes with the Northern Fury scenarios.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1733838503?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
And our web site:
http://northernfury.us/

(in reply to Excroat3)
Post #: 17
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 12:43:19 AM   
michaelm75au

Usually the book inspires the game/movie.

Michael

Post #: 18
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 12:43:44 AM   
Eggstor

Question on the scenarios - are the ones at the Northern Fury site different from the ones in the Community Pack?

Post #: 19
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 12:50:42 AM   
Gunner98

Eggstor

They are exactly the same. I'm debating the requirement to have them on the NF website but it seems to complete the picture. I will try to make sure the CSP and the website remain in sync.

B

(in reply to Eggstor)
Post #: 20
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 12:51:53 AM   
Airborne Rifles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eggstor

Question on the scenarios - are the ones at the Northern Fury site different from the ones in the Community Pack?

Hey Eggstor, they are the same.

And our web site:

(in reply to Eggstor)
Post #: 21
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 2:42:49 AM   
T Rav

I'm in.

T Rav

Post #: 22
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 4:33:01 AM   
magi

i wish you both the very best and good fortune with your endeavor.......

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 23
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 12:27:27 PM   
Andrea G

I hope it will come also in a printed version not only e-book

(in reply to magi)
Post #: 24
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 2:11:45 PM   
Airborne Rifles

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrea G

I hope it will come also in a printed version not only e-book

Hi ANdrea G, that's the plan!

And our web site:

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 25
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 7:35:09 PM   
mikkey

Nice idea, Looking forward to this

Post #: 26
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/5/2018 8:38:41 PM   
Vulcan607

Going to get it as soon as its available, I've also mentioned it on the Eugene Systems forum should interest a few people on it,

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 27
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/6/2018 3:53:41 PM   
kevinkins

Good luck with the Project.

Just a thought. Will the book come with a copy of Northern Fury? Might be a way to get non wargamers into Command. There are plenty of military history buffs who remain on the sidelines buying book after book without trying to simulate.

Kevin

(in reply to Vulcan607)
Post #: 28
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/6/2018 4:55:11 PM   
Gunner98

Kevin

The full suite of Northern Fury scenarios will be (and are) on the web page. http://northernfury.bhgdesigns.com/index.php

The page is still a work in progress but is meant to be a companion to the book.

Our idea is to get readers interested in playing and players interesting in reading the book.

Cheers

B

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 29
RE: Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO s... - 5/6/2018 6:19:56 PM   
Amnectrus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx
The new Clancy & Bond, writing a book based on a game? Cool!

For people who might not know, Red Storm Rising, and possibly other Clancy and/or Bond books, were wargamed with Bond's Harpoon game. There's an article I came across a while ago called Choreographing the Dance of the Vampires, about the chapter in Red Storm Rising where the Soviets attack a US carrier group using decoys to draw off the F-14s. According to the article, Clancy and Bond and some of their wargamer friends played several versions of the scenario with Harpoon, and used the results to help write a believable and realistic narrative in the game. They knew that for plot purposes, the Soviets were going to win, but exactly what tactics would be used and how the battle could develop was something they used Harpoon to help with.

quote:

In fact the battle depicted in the book—in what by all indications became one of the most difficult chapters for the pair to plot and write—was gamed out in three separate Harpoon sessions, designated Vampire I, II, and III between December 1984 and July 1985. Vampire I is documented in a thirty-page report that contains briefing materials for both sides, detailed tables listing the ships in the NATO task force, the aircraft and ordnance available to the Soviets, diagrams of the ships’ formation, weather conditions, and so forth. There then follows a blow-by-blow account of the battle, which moves through several distinct phases, from the Soviets’ attempts to locate and “fix” the course of the NATO warships to the “outer air battle” as fighters from the carriers scramble to intercept the incoming bombers to the missile launch and resolution of the strike—which ends up leaving the NATO formation decimated. Vampire II, played in March 1985, yielded even more extensive documentation; in addition to an after-action report similar in format to the previous, there are copious players’ notes as well. This time the game appears to have moved more slowly, with the battle never reaching its climactic end-stage (despite the session lasting into the early hours of the morning). Nonetheless, the materials suggest that much of the “play” consisted in the preparatory activity by which plans were laid, forces tasked with missions, and contingencies evaluated. Clearly by this point the scope and complexity of the scenarios were straining the Harpoon system (and Bond, as the referee) to the limit. Vampire III, played out over multiple game sessions several months later, concluded with the spectacular destruction of USS Nimitz by missiles launched from a Soviet submarine.

Scrutiny of the game materials makes plain that none of the three Vampire scenarios provided the storyboard for events precisely as they unfolded in the book chapter. None were narrativized whole cloth.[1] (Notably, the Soviets’ use of drones, a tactic which seals the fate of the NATO ships in the novel, does not appear in the game materials.) Yet the details regarding weapons systems, ranges, the relative positions of ships and aircraft—all necessary for lending consistency and coherence to the fictive engagement—were fully articulated as operable elements in the Harpoon simulation, and in that respect the game functioned as exactly the “matrix of detail” Clancy said it would.

A bit more information is available in a writeup by Larry Bond at The Wargame Vault.

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Northern Fury - Check out the book based on CMANO scenarios Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI