Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/17/2019 11:22:59 PM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralph1961

I think I have an idea of how to play now. I'm up for a learning game. What is the best scenario to play after the introductory one?

If you were able to update to Desert War v1.0.4, let's give it a go. Rats vs The Ram challenge is posted.

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 151
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/18/2019 1:39:32 AM   
Ralph1961

No problem, I’ve updated to 1.04
I’ll try to take on the AI to get a better feel for the game.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 152
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/18/2019 2:42:23 AM   
Ralph1961

I've accepted your challenge to Rats vs Rams,
Looks like I have the Allies

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 153
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/18/2019 2:57:19 AM   
bcgames

Indeed. I'm here to help you learn the game system. Nice and easy, slow and steady. It's all terribly fun in the end.

(in reply to Ralph1961)
Post #: 154
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/19/2019 10:29:54 PM   
countrboy

I did buy the game, but I don't play it anymore and didn't play it very much, despite loving the North African theatre, for one reason: mega stacks.

I just don't enjoy games that permit the stacking of many many units. Or if it is allowed, make it such that there are serious penalties, like in Tiller's Panzer Campaign series, where you can stack many units but woe betide if you get by an artillery strike.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 155
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/21/2019 6:34:48 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: countrboy

I did buy the game, but I don't play it anymore and didn't play it very much, despite loving the North African theatre, for one reason: mega stacks.

I just don't enjoy games that permit the stacking of many many units. Or if it is allowed, make it such that there are serious penalties, like in Tiller's Panzer Campaign series, where you can stack many units but woe betide if you get by an artillery strike.

Define your mega stack.

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 156
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/3/2020 6:36:19 PM   
Profender

Hi there

I bought the game today and have played it for some hours so far.
What I miss is a visible clear view of what happened after a battle maybe I am overlooking it but more information is what I miss so far.
So far enjoying it. Sorry but I turned off the music and have some custom music that fits the game and setting more.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 157
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/4/2020 3:39:31 AM   
bcgames

While watching the AAR (Film) for a game turn, right click on the battle in question to see the relevant data for that particular battle.

(in reply to Profender)
Post #: 158
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2020 5:20:42 AM   
DaveDennis

You wanted information on why people didn't buy. Wish I could help, but I purchased a copy earlier today. :-)

I've got some personal business that will keep me busy for the next month or so, but I later plan on taking you up on your office for a learning match... Very awesome of you to offer this level of support!

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 159
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2020 5:43:17 PM   
bcgames

Great. I'll see you then.

(in reply to DaveDennis)
Post #: 160
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/16/2020 8:48:07 PM   
countrboy

quote:

Define your mega stack.

Sorry, just saw your reply now. I guess the answer to that is a subjective one, but for me, 4 or more units per stack starts to become almost unplayable (also depending on unit size of course). There's too much going on and a sense of just throwing everything in there and seeing what happens. On a 3 front attack you might have 18 or 19 units participating!

I have no problem with the unit scale, but perhaps a different map scale might avoid over-stacking? As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Tiller Panzer Campaign series has a similar scale but I get the feeling that hex sizes are smaller? Which perhaps allows you to fit more units in a given area without overstacking issues.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 161
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/16/2020 9:58:45 PM   
bcgames

Panzer Campaigns uses 1000 meters per hex.

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 162
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/16/2020 10:57:23 PM   
countrboy

How does that compare with DW?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 163
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/16/2020 11:28:30 PM   
bcgames

Desert War ground scale = ~2 miles/3200 meters per hex.

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 164
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/16/2020 11:38:16 PM   
countrboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

Desert War ground scale = ~2 miles/3200 meters per hex.

That might be it then. PZC unit sizes are much the same as DW, but there are more hexes for a given area size, which means that large stacks seldom occur (besides the rules on stacking limits). You need to spread your units out more as compared to DW to cover the same area.

It would be interesting to see how DW with 1000m hexes would play.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 165
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 12:16:27 AM   
bcgames

Maybe someday that'll happen. Right now we're dealing with ground/unit scales in Stalingrad: Nightmare on the Volga from July 23 1942 to 2 February 1943--from the steppe fight to the city fight. There are 22 Axis divisions in the Stalingrad pocket alone. Desert War might have that many divisions in only one scenario--El Alamein--with both sides combined. We are actively seeking to avoid making a monster game...cuz we don't play them. It's not just stack size, it's also about the number of stacks; the size of the scenario. Simply put, does your puzzle have 250, 500, or 1000 pieces? What number inspires you to solve the puzzle and what number causes you to just admire the box cover. Dunno.

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 166
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 12:49:16 AM   
countrboy

Sure, it's horses for courses as regards scenario size. Can you cater for all preferences? PzC for example, ranges from small 10 unit scenarios over 5 turns, to literally thousands of units over 450 turns or more. Some play the small ones, some play the large ones, it's just personal preference.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 167
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 1:03:49 AM   
bcgames

It's a two-man band working part time. We can do everything anybody wants. We like small and soon...else the wives say none and never. Just sayin'...

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 168
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 1:19:13 AM   
countrboy

Fair enough and understood.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 169
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 1:27:53 AM   
bcgames

Questions of stack and scale still stand unresolved. What to do? I'm thinking 2500 meters is good for regimental scale for the steppe fight. However, I think 500 meters per hex is unsatisfactory in replicating the "feel of success" for the city fight. I'm starting to think that 200-300 meters per hex for the city will provide a better "feel" and thus--a better game.

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 170
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 3:09:30 AM   
countrboy

Just as an aside, can the DW map be modded? Is it possible for someone to change the map to say 1000m hexes, or is it hardcoded?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 171
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 3:21:06 AM   
bcgames

Can the DW map be modded? In a word--No. Can you design a new map at what ever ground/time/unit scale you want you using the editor? In a word--Yes. I'm going to pull a statistic out of my ass and say that 80% of the Desert War engine is in the hands of the scenario designer. As a modder from way back in the day of the pixel-by-pixel edit and the under-the-hood hexadecimal text edit, Desert War is a walk in the park on a warm day. If there's something you can't do with the map editor, tell me about it and we will see what we can do to improve an already awesome map tool. I'm serious--what do you want the map tool to do?

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 172
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 3:40:06 AM   
countrboy

I haven't even looked at the editor to be honest. I usually don't find enough free time to play the games I own, never mind firing up the editor and making changes. That said, I'm always open to something new and will tinker with the editor a bit. Thanks for your reply, I'll stop bugging you now.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 173
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/17/2020 3:48:05 AM   
bcgames

Armstrong and Miller - Pilots get captured

https://youtu.be/3JWl1knJvPY

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 174
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/19/2020 3:21:21 AM   
bcgames

Back to the original question, Why didn't you buy? Please feel free to enumerate your requirements here.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 175
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/26/2020 8:13:30 PM   
James Taylor

Determine a certain unit density per hex, depending on terrain. Armor, large artillery pieces, etc will have a limitation in terrain that does not support their ability to maneuver, so less unit density.

Each hex is a unit container, take for an example a TOAW unit. The unit displays the movement and combat values of the conglomerate.

Whatever is the basic building block, squads, platoons, companies or battalions, allow them to combine and breakdown into whatever battle groups the players designate to accomplish the mission.

What you see in the hex is only one unit representing the kampfgruppe.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 176
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/2/2020 3:19:30 AM   
bcgames

This is all a coding stuff that flies over my head. I do consider the homogeneous regimental roll-up as a dead-end and DEAD. The game system works best in my view as a battalion/company/battery level game. The Stalingrad ALPHA at regimental level is a stinking turd in the punch bowel; I'm not playing it. If finding a "container" type system is a capability, I'll take a look. As for now, I've burned too much midnight oil trying to simply the game engine without any payback in game play--zero payback. It's going to take combat engineers with satchel charges and flamethrowers to ever remove me again from pursuing a battalion scale game. Damn the Stacks! Full Speed Ahead!

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 177
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/3/2020 5:20:35 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Taylor

Whatever is the basic building block, squads, platoons, companies or battalions, allow them to combine and breakdown into whatever battle groups the players designate to accomplish the mission.

Mmmm...interesting, though problems could be, what if the units are from different organizations? They couldn't then combine as a unit can only have 1 HQ...artillery of course couldn't rollup. It's an interesting idea though, and I could see a game wiht stacks where you'd press a unit and they'd all be replaced by a single unit, but I think that's something that needs to be thought of from the start. A bit late now I'm afriad! ;)

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 178
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/3/2020 11:05:53 PM   
benpark

That idea is really very interesting, indeed. And the follow on issue of organization. Figure it out, and that seems like something new altogether.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 179
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/4/2020 5:16:30 AM   
bcgames

I think Elvis has left the building on the container idea. However, BK has created a firm foundation for a battalion-level WEGO game. The correct ground scale(s) for best applications is now the center of debate in my view. Chit-chatting with ALPHA testers, emerging consensus on the scale set to try is 8kms/1.6kms/.2kms per hex (i.e. 5-miles, 1-mile and 200 meters/yards per hex). We'll see what happens.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI