Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using Sonobuoy for surface search?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Using Sonobuoy for surface search? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/18/2018 7:54:57 PM   
pgatcomb

I was doing a scenario involving very serious fog and I was hoping to use surface ships to find other surface ships without using radar. It occurred to me in the game dangerous waters that you could use a sonobuoy (and ship passive sonar for that matter) to track surface ships fairly effectively.

Is that realistic or something left out of CMANO? It was just an odd thought.
Post #: 1
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/18/2018 8:23:01 PM   
SunlitZelkova

quote:

ORIGINAL: pgatcomb

I was doing a scenario involving very serious fog and I was hoping to use surface ships to find other surface ships without using radar. It occurred to me in the game dangerous waters that you could use a sonobuoy (and ship passive sonar for that matter) to track surface ships fairly effectively.

Is that realistic or something left out of CMANO? It was just an odd thought.

Don't sonobuoys have a really short detection range?

Formerly known as Project2035, TyeeBanzai, and FlyForLenin

(in reply to pgatcomb)
Post #: 2
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/19/2018 12:08:59 AM   
Eggstor

Most sonobuoys have a short range, but some of the new ones (the VLAD comes to mind) are capable of convergence-zone detections.

I have no idea whether it's realistic.

(in reply to SunlitZelkova)
Post #: 3
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/19/2018 11:33:24 AM   
taffthomas

Nuclear boats use to run covertly on the surface using just passive sonar
Problem is you only get a bearing no range In thick fog a bit dodgy

(in reply to Eggstor)
Post #: 4
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/19/2018 2:37:14 PM   
Primarchx

Of course surface ships can have their own sophisticated sonar sets. Still not sure why subs can detect surface contacts with their sonars but surface ships do not. It would seem a CZ-capable hull or towed sonar on a ship would be able to detect other ships OTH.

(in reply to taffthomas)
Post #: 5
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/24/2018 12:05:49 AM   
pgatcomb

Is this more bug or a suggestion territory?

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 6
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/24/2018 10:34:20 PM   
Rory Noonan

Seems more like suggestion territory to me (i.e. it's not causing problems but might be something nice to have down the line). I've added it to our list of things to look at.

(in reply to pgatcomb)
Post #: 7
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/25/2018 10:06:11 AM   
rmunie0613

In the real world of course as mentioned you do not get a range using passive sensors, whether Sonar, sonobuoy, or ESM.. you only get a direction, which will not help a lot in the fog. Also is the range issue with passive sonar-short range
Also of course the convergence zone detection does not detect "long range" per se, but only means it can pick up contacts inside of "long range belts"...between those "belts", which are of fairly narrow "thickness"...you cannot detect still.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 8
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/25/2018 1:27:23 PM   
CV60

While theoretically possible to detect a surface contact with an expendable sonobuoy, it is tactically of marginal value. The transmission range of an expendable buoy to the receiving aircraft is generally less than the radar range of the aircraft. In other words, the onboard radar sensor gives better contact information at longer range than the expendable buoy. As the aircraft is also likely detected by the surface target's radar, there is effectively no stealth advantage offered by the buoy, as the target knows it has likely been detected by the aircraft.

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 9
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/26/2018 3:08:02 AM   
NimrodX

Is this true even when bad weather is limiting radar range? I think the original question was about doing this in bad weather with poor radar performance.

I remember from my amateur radio studies that the higher the frequency you're dealing with, the more energy is absorbed by moisture in the atmosphere. So microwaves are absorbed easily (which is why the satellite TV goes out when a heavy storm cloud gets up in its LoS to the satellite, and why microwave ovens are able to heat things up while a LF through VHF RF oven would be really useless without a massive power source). But I don't know precisely how much of what sort of weather should attenuate radar how much at different bands.

(in reply to CV60)
Post #: 10
RE: Using Sonobuoy for surface search? - 5/26/2018 3:49:05 PM   
rmunie0613

The OP seems to have been hoping to use passive sensors (sonobuoys) to avoid using radar and having that detected by ESM.
The radar range in poor weather is not reduced per se, but the poor weather (if precip- also waves..) do clutter the screen for lack of a better example, giving a great many other returns, depending on the type of radar. The sonar range will still be far, far shorter however, and the same poor weather than would affect radar has an even greater effect on sonobuoys or sonar as the sea becomes more and more "animated".

< Message edited by rmunie0613 -- 5/26/2018 3:51:10 PM >

(in reply to NimrodX)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Using Sonobuoy for surface search? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI