Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: P-51 and Bf-109

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: P-51 and Bf-109 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/2/2018 9:26:57 PM   
obvert

This caught my attention. The guy doing this goes into a lot of detail about the engines, fuel and how each plane is set up for a certain role. Really interesting to watch and somewhat relevant to the Pacific when he's talking about later war higher octane fuel boosting Allied fighter performance.

Was 150 octane available and used in the Pacific?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTD7DqXfRno

Oh. And this is on the F4F. Virtually everything you'd want to learn about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukNZKJ8qC8

< Message edited by obvert -- 7/2/2018 9:39:13 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 1:05:45 AM   
geofflambert

A lot have said that the P-51 was a bf-109 with range. There's some truth to that but there are plenty of differences not accounted for in that statement. What I didn't understand so well until more recently is that while FW-180s were great or at least good high altitude interceptors, at lower altitudes they were no match for Spitfires or P-51s or P-47s. The bf-109 was in action in the Spanish Civil War long before any of those others and it was still competitive to the end.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 4:37:13 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

A lot have said that the P-51 was a bf-109 with range. There's some truth to that but there are plenty of differences not accounted for in that statement. What I didn't understand so well until more recently is that while FW-180s were great or at least good high altitude interceptors, at lower altitudes they were no match for Spitfires or P-51s or P-47s. The bf-109 was in action in the Spanish Civil War long before any of those others and it was still competitive to the end.

It is the other way around: 190 had superior performance below 20,000 feet and the 109 beat the pants off of the 190 above 20,000 feet. The 109 G-2 could make over 400 mph at 39,000 feet. Very impressive plane for such a dated design as you point out.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 5:17:20 AM   
JeffroK

100/150 octane explained
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 8:03:18 AM   
wdolson

By the last year of the war 150 octane avgas was widely available in the Pacific. The B-29 required it. Thanks to 150 octane fuel heavily laden B-25s from Attu were reaching the Kuriles (my father was flying with them in the summer of 1945) and PV-1s were making raids on the Kuriles too. I think the B-25s my father was flying in out of Tacloban in November 1944 (he was attached to the first B-25 unit into Tacloban after Leyte) used 150 octane too.

My father said one of the tricks guys used to like to pull was fill their lighters with 150 octane avgas then go into town and hang out in a bar waiting for someone to put a cigarette in their mouth. They would offer a light and watch the person's face when the lighter spit out a flame 1 foot high.

When some warbird recovery guys tried to rescue a B-29 from a glacier in Greenland in the 1990s, they had to find 150 octane avgas. It was hard to find by then. There was a Nova episode on it that I've never been able to bring myself to watch (the B-29 caught fire just before they were going to ferry it to Thule AFB due to some carelessness with a jury rigged fuel system for the APU. I did read the whole story in the book Hunting Warbirds which covers that as well as several other warbird recovery stories.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 9:03:55 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

By the last year of the war 150 octane avgas was widely available in the Pacific. The B-29 required it. Thanks to 150 octane fuel heavily laden B-25s from Attu were reaching the Kuriles (my father was flying with them in the summer of 1945) and PV-1s were making raids on the Kuriles too. I think the B-25s my father was flying in out of Tacloban in November 1944 (he was attached to the first B-25 unit into Tacloban after Leyte) used 150 octane too.

My father said one of the tricks guys used to like to pull was fill their lighters with 150 octane avgas then go into town and hang out in a bar waiting for someone to put a cigarette in their mouth. They would offer a light and watch the person's face when the lighter spit out a flame 1 foot high.

When some warbird recovery guys tried to rescue a B-29 from a glacier in Greenland in the 1990s, they had to find 150 octane avgas. It was hard to find by then. There was a Nova episode on it that I've never been able to bring myself to watch (the B-29 caught fire just before they were going to ferry it to Thule AFB due to some carelessness with a jury rigged fuel system for the APU. I did read the whole story in the book Hunting Warbirds which covers that as well as several other warbird recovery stories.

Bill

Good to know. I guess the Allies don't need a late war bump in game, but it sounds like in the actual war they may have had it with the 150. Even bombers probably flying faster over target as well.

I watched that whole episode on the B-29. So tragic, and I'd had no idea what was going to happen before it did. Man, what a letdown.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 10:57:49 AM   
LeeChard

I saw that documentary and did not know what was going to happen.
Heartbreaking

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 12:26:19 PM   
Chris21wen

Here I am thinking an engines something that goes vroom. Certainly informative.

< Message edited by Chris21wen -- 7/3/2018 12:55:54 PM >

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 1:18:13 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Serving in the U.S.Army, and most of us still being smokers in the very early seventies, we never bought lighter fluid.
We always opened the fuel caps on the M151 and dipped our Zippos for a "refill".

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 1:30:04 PM   
Dili

The advantage of P-51 over German fighters was performance at altitude. Because American bombing was at 20000kft and over. That is the major reason how war was won in the air.
Fw 190 was crap except at low level with such tiny wings, and Bf 109 was also subpar being already overweight for the tiny body, version F considered the most manageable. Speed helps but not that much when aircraft with weight increases for more power do not give good support at altitude where the air is thinner.

For Germans Ta 152 arrived too late. In crucial period of late 1943-44 they had nothing as good as Mustang or Spits, even if Spits had not enough range. They considered the Fiat G.55 the better Axis fighter by 1943 with possibility of taking bigger engines but changing it to mass production and industrial concerns and prestige meant they might as well develop a new fighter: Ta 152.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 4:05:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris21wen

Fighters did have a button to inject something into the engine that gave them a sudden boost in power, but it was very hard on the engine and very short-lived in boost. I don't recall what it was that they injected into the engine.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 4:55:40 PM   
slpatgun

Nitros oxide the same thing drag racers use. This plus turbocharger in the P-38 + P-47 and in the P-51 supercharges helped bring out the best in these fighters. Avgas sent to the Pacific was refined in the US at a higher octain , in the ETO the avgas octain was refined to a lower level. That is one of reasons the P-38 was not as successful in the ETO as the Allison engines needed the higher octain fuel .

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 5:19:12 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Fighters did have a button to inject something into the engine that gave them a sudden boost in power, but it was very hard on the engine and very short-lived in boost. I don't recall what it was that they injected into the engine.

I think it was water injection as referred to in some of the info cited above on performance tests.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 5:30:02 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Technically, "going vroom" is just going "boom" a bunch of times in very quick succession.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 5:46:11 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

I think it was water injection as referred to in some of the info cited above on performance tests.

How helpful you find this information is for you to determine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19930093596
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power (Water injection mentioned several times in this page.)
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/P-47_Water-Injection_3feb44.pdf ("Advance Service Bulletin No. A-255 describes the installation of water injection equipment on P-47D airplanes.")

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 6:20:25 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

The advantage of P-51 over German fighters was performance at altitude. Because American bombing was at 20000kft and over.

20000 k ft??!!??

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 6:29:02 PM   
Lokasenna

Combat Flight Sim 2, the last great sandbox-like WW2 flight simulator that I know of, taught me about air/fuel/water mixtures. You could fiddle with them in various levels of realism modes.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 6:36:02 PM   
rustysi

quote:

A lot have said that the P-51 was a bf-109 with range.

P-51's range was largely due to the addition of an 85 gallon fuel tank behind the pilot. Unfortunately it really affected the planes' trim and caused some accidents before the pilots learned how to deal with it. The trick was to burn off some of this fuel first.

quote:

Fw 190 was crap except at low level with such tiny wings,

Pretty sure its problems were solved (whether high or low altitude) with the introduction of the 190-D (Dora) version. Don't know how large the production run was, but this was a potent fighter aircraft.

quote:

I think it was water injection

My understanding as well.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 6:37:51 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

The advantage of P-51 over German fighters was performance at altitude. Because American bombing was at 20000kft and over.

20000 k ft??!!??

25k wasn't a-typical over Europe.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 6:45:55 PM   
Dili

My typo hehe. 20 kft

@ rustysi FW 190 D still had small wings the issue with BMW was indeed improved but they were fixes. The base airplane was wrong from beginning at least for the mission of superiority fighter over Germany in WW2.

< Message edited by Dili -- 7/3/2018 6:46:50 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 6:58:07 PM   
rustysi

quote:

My typo hehe. 20 kft

We knew what you meant.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 7:00:20 PM   
rustysi

quote:

FW 190 D still had small wings

Thought they were longer on the 'D'. I'll check my book when I get home later.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/3/2018 7:27:25 PM   
Denniss

Fw 190A/Bf 109G were highly comparable/competitive to allied fighters up to 20k/25k, above their engine superchargers were not able to supply sufficient air and engines lost power.
Bf 109G-14 got Water/Methanol boost for lower altitudes in mid 44, small series of high alt /AS variants were produced from early 44 on cumulating in the G-10 and K-4 of autumn 44. (initial production too small, later/higher production version too late to have effect)
Fw 190D had the same wing as A-8, critical alt for engine was similar or somewhat better than Bf 109G with standard engine but it featured a better Methanol/water boost system

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 23
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 4:08:55 AM   
wdolson

quote:

The advantage of P-51 over German fighters was performance at altitude. Because American bombing was at 20000kft and over. That is the major reason how war was won in the air.
Fw 190 was crap except at low level with such tiny wings, and Bf 109 was also subpar being already overweight for the tiny body, version F considered the most manageable. Speed helps but not that much when aircraft with weight increases for more power do not give good support at altitude where the air is thinner.

For Germans Ta 152 arrived too late. In crucial period of late 1943-44 they had nothing as good as Mustang or Spits, even if Spits had not enough range. They considered the Fiat G.55 the better Axis fighter by 1943 with possibility of taking bigger engines but changing it to mass production and industrial concerns and prestige meant they might as well develop a new fighter: Ta 152.

There were several factors that won the air war in Europe. The Bf-109 had the altitude performance to go head to head with the higher altitude fight, but it was lightly armed which didn't make it a great bomber killer. The FW-190 had the firepower, bit poor high altitude performance. The Daimler engines were the best high altitude engines the Germans had, but they refused to allocate any to Focke Wulf until very late in the war. They were able to do some testing with the engine mated to the FW-190 airframe, but it never saw combat.

The Germans were also hampered with 87 and 92 octane fuel while most Allied fuel was at least 100 octane.

Ultimately what won the war was the training programs used by the Allies. Both the British and Americans established training and pilot rotation programs that kept up a steady flow of trained pilots and by rotating veterans back to training commands, the vets were able to drill the green pilots in real world tactics they had actually experienced. It also meant front line pilots didn't get as worn out as Axis pilots did.

No Axis country ever established a training program that was able to produce green pilots anywhere near to par with green Allied pilots. They also tended to keep veteran pilots on the front line until they were either killed, captured, or too badly hurt to fly anymore. In late 1943 US fighter pilots noted the quality of Germans they were facing over Germany was in decline and it fell off a cliff in early 1944. The Allies were able to ramp up attrition to a point where the Germans had to fill out units with greener and greener pilots.

By late 1944 most German bomber units were converted to fighters where they were little better than the green pilots coming out of flight school. A bomber pilot has completely different skill sets from a fighter pilot and their instincts in the air that work for a bomber got a lot of them killed in a fighter. The US tried a program in the 8th AF with some B-17 pilots who reached a point where they couldn't bring themselves to command a crew anymore. Most had been through a very rough mission where men in their crew were killed or badly injured.

The USAAF started transferring these pilots to fighter units. In Zempke's book he talked about some of these bomber pilots that were assigned to the 56 FG. He said they were good technical pilots, as good as the other combat veterans, but in combat they tended to become prey rather than predator. Few of them lasted more than a few missions.

quote:

Water boost was common, though other things were used too.

quote:

ORIGINAL: slpatgun

Nitros oxide the same thing drag racers use. This plus turbocharger in the P-38 + P-47 and in the P-51 supercharges helped bring out the best in these fighters. Avgas sent to the Pacific was refined in the US at a higher octain , in the ETO the avgas octain was refined to a lower level. That is one of reasons the P-38 was not as successful in the ETO as the Allison engines needed the higher octain fuel .

From what I've read the fuel requirements for the Allison was the same as the Merlin. The Allison and Merlin were very similar engines and their low altitude performance was similar. What set the Merlin apart was the lightweight integrated supercharger that gave it much better high altitude performance at about the same weight. I have wondered what the P-39 would have been like with the Merlin.

What troubled the P-38 in Europe was the superchargers tended to freeze up at altitude, especially in combat settings. When Zempke transferred to a P-38 unit he ran into that in one of his first missions. The unit converted to P-51s shortly afterwards and he was taken prisoner when a war weary P-51 broke up on him when he hit some rough air. The plane broke in half at the cockpit and the entire pilot's seat broke free.

Apparently the superchargers on the P-38 could handle dry and hot, wet and hot, as well as cold and dry, but the oil tended to become thick and gel when in cold, wet air. It took Lockheed a while to figure out and fix the problem, but the P-38 had been retired from Northern Europe by the time it was.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 6:08:35 AM   
JeffroK

From Bill,
The Germans were also hampered with 87 and 92 octane fuel while most Allied fuel was at least 100 octane.

One of the reasons the RAF had a slight advantage in the Battle of Britain.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 25
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 7:41:23 AM   
geofflambert

If I recall correctly, and I'm getting old so bear with me, Rick Atkinson had a low opinion of the 190 in Italy and suggested that they were manned by rookies. The 109s not so much.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/4/2018 7:47:48 AM >

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 26
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 7:58:16 AM   
Denniss

German 87 Oktan B4 fuel was comparable to allied 100 octane fuel, german 96-100 Oktan C3 fuel comparable to allied 130 octane fuel.
Some differenes in measuring Octane + lean vs rich rating.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 27
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 1:36:05 PM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

Let me add methanol to the mix.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 28
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 3:02:40 PM   
Denniss

Methanol and Ethanol were just antifreeze components added to the water

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 29
RE: OT: P-51 and Bf-109 - 7/4/2018 3:12:05 PM   
Lowpe

Ta-152 license sold to Japan....oh my.

Japanese version
The IJAAF acquired, in April 1945, the license, schemes and technical drawings for manufacturing the Ta 152 in Japan.[3] During the last stages of the conflict in Germany, with the plight of the Japanese armed forces growing ever bleaker, a large volume of the latest aviation technology Germany had to offer was given to or bought by both the Japanese army and naval air arms in the hopes that it would stem the tide of defeats and ever increasing pressure by the superior Allied air forces.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: P-51 and Bf-109 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI